q1-52-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

On the other hand, I know BC has already started fixing some of my quests from the original files. This brings me to a couple of questions:
-How easy would it be to extract the Gah Sadrith quests from map 1? Probably not very, so this is not a very likely way to go about it.
-Has anybody else been making fixes directly on map 1? If so there may be multiple versions floating around, which would be bad.
-What would happen if we re-merged an updated version of a quest over the map containing an old one? This would probably be the best way to go about it, but does it mean we're going to review, then merge, then review again to make sure nothing happened during the merge?

I, for one, would love to have Theo jump in and help with map 1 quests. If he can be the keeper of the map and handle merges etc that would be stellar.

So what does everyone else think?
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Well, the problem is - as I stated, not only Gah Sadrith quests have been fixed in the new version, but some other bugs as well. I am also pretty sure that there are no other versions of map 1. Ludovic and Starcrunch made other fixes, as far as I remember, but we always agreed, that they will wait for the most recent version to come out and only one person will work on it and then submit it for somebody else's fixes. Now I remember Starcrunch spent a lot of time fixing exterior errors reported by people who played the map.
So it probably means not only my fixes would be lost, but also his (now that I have loaded the files in CS and see that it is really so. For example Starcrunch remade Tel Darys and Llernele Yantus manor in Gah Sadrith. Now compare those two interiors in MAP_1.esm and Map1_Qv22.esp and you will get the idea which one is up to date).
As both Lud and Starcrunch are absent from TR for some time and their work might have been overlooked. So we definitely have to use this quest file as a base for further merging.

So the answers for your questions.

- No there are no more up to date versions of the map, I am absolutely sure.
- Unmerging quests would be more difficult then merging the new versions of quests and then checking possible errors as it is easier to observe which references have been modified by the new file, then backtracking what all references does any particular quest modify and then separating it from the rest.
- There should probably not arise any errors if you merge new version of quest into file, where an old one is already present, provided somebody did not mess with object ID's during the fixes, or added new references (But this would be easy to see if it was the case).
- The second check will be necessary anyway, but lets have people outside TR do it and lets provide them file with all quests already merged. They will happily play map 1 quests and report errors as they did for exteriors and dialogue.
Then I can fix those.

So the conclusion:
You guys do the review, I will take care of the proper merging once it is finished at my full responsibility. Agreed? (I do not expect you to review all the quests until end of this month anyway).
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Ok. thanks Theo, that willl be really helpful. I did a little investigation and it appears that all quests in reviewing have been merged except the tribunal temple quest line and the fighters guild. We now need to now which quests have been fixed in the map1v022 plugin (like the gah sadrith quests). I hope that the quests which aren't fixed can be simply replaced . Your idea to test the quests should be good, Theo, also because we need another opening for newcomers in the quest department. With the showcase we only get the most determined questers, all of the others think it's too difficult for them. By testing out the quests they get some insight and they come to know that making quests isn't as hard as it seems. I promise I'll help more with quest reviewing after I completed reviewing and fixing Kemel-Ze.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Great! I think it will be safer to review all the quests again in seperate files, except Gah Sadrith quests, not because they would be already perfect already, but because there is no independent recent file with them due to my messiness. They will have to wait for the second round of review.
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Approved, yay!
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

How many approved claims does this make, theviking?
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

By my count, it's now standing at 52 approved quests in total.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

:)

This is good stuff.
You should put this in the TR news (blog), TheViking.

:D
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I have a much nicer news coming up, Jedak.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.