q1-55-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

q1-55-Mis

Post by Lud »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q1-55-Mis (#1143)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_1-37-Tel (#61)
Claimed by: groza528
Files: TR_q1-55-Mis_groza528_1.esp

---

Firewatch.
Only 3 misc quests, because it's so important in the MQ
These are:
-"Gummidge"-Graffus' quest
-"The arena"-Prize fight style brawling the Howling Noose
-An ingredient collection one for the alchemist guy in the library
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

Well, since no one has posted anything here yet, I'll give one of my ideas:

There is a female Dunmer actress, author, singer, or some other kind of luminary. She is in love with a Dunmer man, who is mutually in love with her. The whole reason the woman became famous was so she could be with her love, as she needed money. (to pay for travel, perhaps?) Anyways, now that she is rich and famous, she has hardly any time to spend with her love, because her son-of-a-bitch agent keeps her schedule booked to the point of overflowing. She doesn't want him to be her agent any more, so she can spend some time with her love.
She wants the agent to disappear.
If you accept, there are a couple ways you can do this. One is obvious: Kill him.
By talking to the agent, you can also learn that he isn't overly satisfied with his employer (the actress). Perhaps there could have been a personal conflict between them. Anyways, he wants to get away. You can buy him tickets on a ship to Cyrodiil, where he plans to live his days away on the sun-kissed shores of Anvil. Buy the tickets, and he goes away.
A third option is that when you get his disposition high enough, you can just tell him to stop being her agent.

However you get rid of him, the actress will give you an enchanted ring that increases speechcraft (because it's the kind of thing an actress would have) she retires to bask in her remaining riches with her lover.

So, whatcha think?

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Sounds good :)
I would recommend that you move it to somewhere else though. Firewatch is very heavily involved in the MQ, and it has 2 misc quests waiting to be polished off and merged. How about Gah Ouadaruhn?
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

Okey dokey. So... how would I start working on this? Officially, speaking.

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

FedEx with a twist: One of the old-timers needs your help, he can't find his "gummidge"*. When he ask him what on earth a "gummidge" is, he asks if you are somehow mentally incompetent. If you accept his request, your journal tells you to question other firewatch locals what the old-timer means by "gummidge", you'll get 3 or 4 possible answers, such as Sload Soap, Hackle-lo Leaf, Wickwheat and Scrib Jelly. You'll have to either guess which of these items is "gummidge" or bring all 4 to him. When you have brought "gummidge" (hackle-lo leaf), he'll thank you and politely ignore your request for a reward.

*or some other nonsense word.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Sounds great Graff
That's a keeper :)
-Ophelia Benson
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I'm dropping this for somebody else to claim. My WIP seems to have gotten fecked up in some fashion and I'm kinda busy with the MQ at the moment. My own quest ideas for this were quite generic, but I'd like to see Graff's idea implemented. (I had the brawling working, but it was too much trouble for a quest that wasn't as interesting as you would expect)
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

EDIT: I dropped this claim before it being granted to me so I could work on PT instead.

Q1: "Gummidge" Quest
Easily done quest, all dialogue, don't forsee the need for any scripting (though how about makign the right answer random?)

Q2: Arena Fighting in the Howling Noose
I intend for this to be a bit controlled. i.e. there will be rules to the fights, that must be enforced by scripting. This can actually get pretty complicated, but the scripts can be made quite general, thus after getting the first fight worked out it will be possible to add a few more with ease.

Rules:
1.) No armor (this is pretty, easy, violations count as a loss).
2.) Causing a death gets PC banned from the ring
3.) Must fight with designated weapon (non-enchanted unique ID)
4.) Each fight requires the PC to pay gold, gets double for win.
5.) No magic, no potions (PC loses if caught)

Three kinds of fights to fight (PC can choose), total of three opponents with varying degrees of skill (all will fight any type):
1.) Fists
2.) Staves
3.) Swords (Long and Short)

These NPC's have skills that they keep roughly similar in skill to the PC (to a point).

Q3: Highway Robbery
I've replaced the generic ingredients quest with one I've already made. I'll make it to where scripts need not be placed on these NPC's if you require them for scripts in your MQ. Description follows of exactly what occurs.

Initiation: The player must be level 12+ and have reputation 20+ in order to be given this quest. The quest begins when the player speaks with any of the 5 shop keepes mentioned above about the topic "problem". If the player is eligible the greeting will indicate it. After it intiates the player can start the ball roling with the other 4 shop keepers at any time, unless they become known as a coward (i.e. if they fail the quest before talking to the given shopkeeper about it, the shopkeeper will not hold it against them and won't discuss their troubles). The player is told various pecies of information by the shopkeepers that indicate the problem is a group of raiders led by an orc woman who are based to the north of Firewatch (some NPC's do not differentiate between the orc leader and the other raiders, who will turn out to be completely covered up but not orc). Guards will confirm that they have lost men on patrols in that direction (if the player is not in the legion and Disp is high).

Investigation: If the player walks to the north of Firewatch to Molagreahd Region (15, 19) they will find an orc camp, with orcs in legion garb. These orcs are not hostile. The player can only speak to them after the quest has intiatede and then only to the leader until they have earned the trust of the orcs. If the player talks about "raiders" with a disp<70 the orc leader takes offense, though the dialouge indiactes that raising dispostion is the way to go. If the orc leader becomes annoyed enough ALL of the orcs will attack (and unless the player realy knows their stuff they won't stand a chance, this is a battle with 5 level 20+ NPC's at the same time). If the orc leaders disposition >= 70 she will tell the player that one of her men saw a fire a few nights past. The player can now speak with all the orcs (they each tell apart of the orc units back story, "Marrowmoth Legion" topic). The orc who saw the fire will describe its location to the player (NE) and tell the player a few more details. If the player heads NE farther up the pennisula to Molagreahd Region (14, 20) they will find an abandon camp with Fedrin Adlan's shirts in a crate, these can be returned at any time (even if the player behaves cowardly for a reward). If the player returns to the orc camp and speaks to the officer he will be told exactly what to do next (she is the only NPC, who can realisticly pull this advise off, after all she is/was a knight in the legion and has hunted many foes, if the player does not speak with her they will likely happen upon the next event anyway, unless they use fast travel exclusively).

Confrontation: Ragardless, if the player returns to Firewatch the merchants will provide confliucting advice on what to do next (most, but not all, of which invovles murdering the orc deserter). If the player patrols the main highway out of Firewatch to Molagreahd Region (20, 16) they will encounter the brigands, who spawn after you talk to the orc commander for the first time. If the player approaches the brigands will hail the player and give them the choice of paying 1000 gold or, well you can guess what the alternative is. This can play out in 3 ways:

Resolution 1: The player declines (or has insufficient gold) to pay, and a battle starts between the 6 brigands and the player. The orcs will appear and join you in battle based on the following:
0 orcs <- level>90
1 orc <- 70>=level>90
2 orcs <- 50>=level>70
3 orcs <- 30>=level>50
4 orcs <- 15>=level>30
5 orcs <- 12>=level>15
This makes the fight more fair (and winable for lower end charcaters, the orcs are much better than the raiders in battle and if 3-5 come the player just needs to worry about staying alive, the orcs will kill the enemy). Orcs who die here are disabled at the orc camp. After the last brigand dies the player can recover the loot and take it back to the merchants in Firewatch for a reward (the player must have all of the items that a given merchant is missing in order to collect the reward, all items have the merchants name in their displayed name). The orcs that help you in the battle disapear when the player leaves the area (they are still found at the camp).

Resolution 2: The player pays the brigands, as long as (s)he does not return to Firewatch and talk to a quest giver about "problem" the player can intiate combat the old fassion way. The player will have to kill all six brigands without assistance. After the brigands are dead the player can recover their 1000 gold and the quest continues as per Resolution 1 (the player gets rewarded).

Resolution 3: The player pays the brigands, talks to a quest giver about "problem" and is then chastized by the quest giver (disposition drop). The brigands are now removed from the game, there is no chance to reutrn to them and kill them. Talking to any other quest giver aside from Fedrin Adlan results in a dispostion drop the first time (handled in greetings) for being cowardly and not helping them. They will continue to trade with the player, however.

-Starcrunch
Last edited by Starcrunch on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

denying by request
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Bump.
Still available. :)
-Ophelia Benson
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I was hesitant to take this because I'm intimidated by the Highway Robbery quest (but I don't want to get rid of it) :) But I'll go ahead and snag this now.

1. Gummidge
2. Highway Robbery
3. I didn't want to use the arena fighting because The Howling Noose is the local thieves den, so this is from the original mages guild questline (with MG elements taken out)

Gorinia is waiting outside her house. Talk to her and she'll tell you that there is a clannfear inside (changed from scamp because it sounded too much like the Huleen's Hut quest in MW.) After you go and slay the creature, the woman tells you that the mage Rinar Sandras has been following her around for a while in an attempt to court her, but she has refused his advances. He apparently summoned the thing with the intention of coming to her rescue and playing the hero. However, the clannfear escaped his control, and for safety he locked himself in the bedroom as the woman escaped the house and called for help. She gives you the key to the bedroom and asks you to tell him to leave her house and leave her alone. You go and tell Rinar that if he doesn't behave himself, you'll turn him over to the guards. After fulfilling her request, she rewards you with 125 gold.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

*just hitting the claim button*
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Highway robbery has to be mostly redone. My first attempt at it was really amateurish (I don't know why it never occured to me to use a flag variable to determine the state for each NPC...) Also it requires a decent amount of cell changes to a wilderness cell (to make the orc camp seem believable) so you may want to talk that over with Lud. My version of the camp may exist on map 1 (if this quest was merged into a version of the map at some point it probably already exists) and can be found in (15, 19). The abandon raider camp used to be in (14, 20). I've attached the final version of the quest from the old days here. The scripts are probably quite handy, but I'd rework the dialog with the 5 merchants in FW completely (and remove the scripts written for them!) you can use the contol variable in the default M1-NPC script to handle their part of things. Of course the naming conventions are all wrong, so that will need some work to. The bandit's and orc's dialog is probably ok. The quest origionally required reputation>20 and level>12, I'd remove the reputation requirment. I'm embarrassed to let you see how I implemented the reward phase from the merchants, just thinking about it makes me sad. It really may be easier just to start over :) and ignore my old version.

-Starcrunch
Attachments
TR_SA_highway_Robery_v10.rar
OLD VERSION OF HIGHWAY ROBBERY
(60.77 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

btw Crunch, if you want this now that you've finished PT, it's all yours. Highway Robbery is still a bit intimidating :) I'm perfectly happy to look at Gah Ouadaruhn instead.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

You want me to wait for Crunch to reply before granting?
-Ophelia Benson
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

yeah, he's usually pretty prompt and I can't work on this until I get home from work anyway. If he wants it it's his; if he doesn't I will consider it granted based upon your response, and start when I get home.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Hmm...Groza I think you should probably do it.

There are other things I could do.
1.) Remake Tel Darys (pretty please, Lud :P )
2.) Work on mouth quests (if they get posted up as a claim)
3.) Work on the other misc quests (I think Neenja dropped his claim more or less)
4.) Fixing my old Kill the Messenger quest (Wilderness, but quite long for MG or Telvanni members, short for others and goes to several locations by the time it's over)
5.) Work on may Map 2 cave interior which has been way on the back burner while working on quests and fixing the scripting/errors in i1-58

-Starcrunch
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Granted.
1)New claim is now in claimed under your name
2)I'm going to start posting mouth quests up as claims soon, but not just yet. (I'm very wary about us getting ahead of ourselves, that's always been the big problem with TR questing)
3)I'd like to see what you do with GO :)
4)I remember that plot, it's a nice one. Create a new claim for it in design.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Update: Gummidge and Clannfear in Firewatch are done.
As for Highway Robbery, I started *mostly* from scratch, but kept the NPCs and campsites from Starcrunch. Beyond that I have journal entries but no other dialogue and very little scripting.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Highway Robbery is a lot of dialogue and I had been getting stuck in a "too much to do so I'm not doing any of it" slump, but I made some good progress yesterday, filling in the entire topic of "raiders" (I replaced 'problem' with 'raiders' because it's more specific and is less likely to cause dialogue conflicts.)
I'm *hoping* to finish it up tonight, or tomorrow morning. The reamining dialogue shouldn't take as long, and I don't think the scripting will be that bad either.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I admit that I have neither included a readme (lesser folly) nor tested Highway Robbery (greater folly). Cells are changed for Highway Robbery, as discussed. Other changes needed as follows:

Firewatch, Gorinia's House needs a door to the bedroom. Add in_c_djamb_stone_square at 4224, 4224, 14784, 0, 0, 90
Same int. add in_c_door_wood_square at 4224, 4288, 14781, 0, 0, 90. Lock it to 40 and set the key to TR_m1_Q_key_gorinia
Move Gorinia so she is outside her front door
Add TR_m1_Q_FWclannfear_UNI to the interior of Gorinia's house, upstairs
Add activator TR_m1_Q_goriniasdoor outside under Gorinia's hosue at 149056, 127424, 0, 0, 0, 0
Add NPC TR_m1_Q_GummidgeGuy somewhere in the Firewatch exterior. He will wander around.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Moving to review. Will merge when I return.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Merged
-Ophelia Benson
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Error reports for these quests:

FIREWATCH - MISCELLANEOUS QUESTS
The 'highway robbery' quest - Lame. Apparently I'm not high enough level to do it, so I'm totally barred from it. This should change to this person just warning me that at my current level they're likely to kill me. I'm pretty sure my level 10 with a strength of 478 and 967 health can handle it.
I don't think we should block off miscellaneous quests like this - questlines and MQ are fine, but I was really bummed.
Level 12 and 20 reputation minimum? No way, level 5 and 2 reputation minimum.

Also, the quest about Gorinia & the Clannfear. She won't talk to me, she just has a force-exit dialogue every time I talk to her. I tried before and after I entered the house, killed the Clannfear, and read/took the note on that guy's body. Oh btw the guy, Rinar, was already dead when I entered the house and unlocked the room.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Leaving this in reviewing because there are not error reports for all quests.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

These were tested well and now BC said that he fixed it, so approved.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Hummm. I know there are more important things to do, but I would really like to improve Highway Robbery, to make it more logical and epic. I would rather extend and make more precise the original ideas then change them.
Do you think there is any chance that I could work on the most recent version of questfile, once all finished quests are merged and reviewed and the major ones still being made?
(I would make other fixes to map 1 as well, as fixing outlaw AI and placing more outlaws to exterior, removing seems and adding few more details to the most boring areas).
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Off course you can make highway robbery better. But BC already made loads of fixes to this quest and others. So improving the file from this claim isn't something I would advise you to do. Maybe there is a way to split it from the quest esp, then you can work with that.
Concerning the fixes that you want to make, Haplo and Ludovic also want to do it. Take a number, :) . If you ask me, though, I would wait with these improvements until after we released a file. If we release a new beta we can take as long as we want with perfecting map1.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.