Map 2 NPC Claim #8 [arvisrend]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I agree with your numbers, and yes, Tomaril idea is green for go. (Skyrim is eating up so much of my attention... must. play. every. aspect...)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

On the quests for this claim, might there be some way to split the work on them off from this NPC claim?

So that once the dialogue and NPCs are finished, it would be possible for more than one modder to take some of the various settlements quests.

Seeing as we have a couple of potential questers in showcase but nothing beginner-level immediately for them to claim. Might also help make this thing somewhat less of a monster.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:On the quests for this claim, might there be some way to split the work on them off from this NPC claim?

So that once the dialogue and NPCs are finished, it would be possible for more than one modder to take some of the various settlements quests.

Seeing as we have a couple of potential questers in showcase but nothing beginner-level immediately for them to claim. Might also help make this thing somewhat less of a monster.
This might be a good idea. I'm almost done with the non-quest aspect of this claim but the quest-work might be too much for one modder to handle.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

If you need any help with scripting (the "what's going wrong" kind, in particular) I am here. (And on the channel.)

Also I envy Haplo for his Skyrim enthusiasm. I have a mainquest halfdone and still can hardly force myself to start that game.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

EDIT: I agree with the suggestions here. Yeti, when you say "almost done" what percentage would you use? Also... WIP file? ;-) I'd really like to run through this claim to get a definitive idea of how it looks.

Quoting here so we have it on this page:
Yeti wrote:After thoroughly looking through this file, I can say with %100 certainty that this file does not have any quests.

Anyway I think a reasonable plan for quests for this claim should be:

1 quest for Ayemar

1 quest that involves both Erethan plantation and Hleris (since both are owned by the same guy)

2-3 quests for Akamora

1 quest that involves Dun Akafell and The Inn Between

I have ideas for several of these already and will post plans once I've worked out all the details. I might be able to combine one of the Akamora quests with the Dun Akafell-Inn quest.

Also, can I go ahead with my description of the Tomaril guy?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'd say the non-quest stuff for this claim is 85% finished. The only things left to do is dialouge for Tomaril Manor (I'm in the process of writing it) and the interior for the Inn Between (I should probably get started on that thing...)

I would appreciate it if someone looked through my work just to make sure I'm not doing anything idiotic :D
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I haven't been able to play through it yet, but just looking at some of the dialogue, it looks good so far. Some small errors I noticed in Greeting 7:

"I'm afraid a Telvanni won't find a warm welcom here in Akamora, %PCName."

And the line immediately below that one needs a space between the two sentences.

"Welcome to the cliff city of Akamora %PCName" needs punctuation; a comma after Akamora, and a period at the end of the sentence.

"Excuse me, but, what are you doing in my room?" needs the second comma removed

Also, do fetcher, s'wit and n'wah need to be capitalized? They are in Akamora but I don't think they were in vanilla Morrowind.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Slowly but surely I continue to make progress on this damn claim. :P

Dialogue for Tomaril Manor is finished. All that needs to be done is the work on The Inn Between and this can move onto quests. Thankfully once the interior is finished I can adapt the NPCs and dialogue from the old Dragon Nest Inn.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Couldn't you already do some quests in the mean time?

Nice to see progress though :)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If Yeti doesn't feel up to doing quests while working on dialogue that is his prerogative, Aeven.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Yeah, I'd rather get everything else finished first.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

M2A8 NPC Claim Quest Plans

Here are some full quest plans that I’ve thought up for this. Some of the specifics could use some touching up, but I think the overall ideas should be good.

Quest Location: Ayemar

Hlorgir Firm-Hand the Nord is being held in a prison cell at Ayemar for smuggling mazte. When the player speaks to him he will express his frustration at being held captive. He will explain how he used to be a simple fisherman before he was duped into helping a group of smugglers. Now he wants revenge on them for leaving him as their “fall guyâ€Â￾ and getting him into the situation in the first place.

Hlorgir will give the player two smugglers to track down. He’ll tell the player that they could likely be found either at his shack along the coast or an abandoned shack located to the south. The player will find them at the second location.

After the player kills the smugglers Hlorgir will ask the player to help free him. The player can help him by paying his fines to the Indoril leader of Ayemar. If the player does this Hlorgir will return to his seaside shack. There he will give the player an enchanted item, saying that he’d found it washed up on shore many years ago.

Quest Location: Akamora

Rilas Dralethan is a noble in Akamora who collects gems and rocks. He is currently interested in retrieving a rare gem from the ruins of Dun Akafell. He already sent a mercenary to look for it but hasn’t heard back from him, so he’ll send the player to investigate. The player will find the corpse of the mercenary somewhere in Dun Akafell and evidence that points towards someone killing him for the gem. Rilas will suspect that a rival of his –the merchant named Vedaves Vedrel- was behind it and will send the player to break into his house. The player will find the gem somewhere inside.

The gem should have some sort of story that connects it to the legend of a dragon whos used to live at Dun Akafell.

Now here are some general ideas that can be made into quests.

Erethan plantation and Hleris

Background: Drelom Erethan is the owner of both Erethan Plantation and the impoverished underground bloatspore mining settlement of Hlersis. He’s currently mourning the death of his wife and won’t leave his manor. Thadas Erethan is his son, who was sent to run Hlersis as punishment for breaking a statue of his mother. He believes that Hlersis isn’t a worthy place for him and badly wants to leave.

Quest Ideas:

Maybe a quest that involves Thadas trying to win back his father’s favor?

It should be noted that Thadas doesn’t know why his father is angry with him. Part of the quest can be about him asking the player to find out the reason he was sent to Hlersis.

One of the slaves in Hlersis is infected with some sort of disease. Maybe this can somehow be included in the quest?

Akamora

Here are some latest rumors from Akamora that can be turned into quests:

“I hear Rolam Salenith and Daryos Varen are still losing money on Varen-Salenith Egg Mine. I can't say I feel particularity bad for that S'wit Daryos, but it's a shame Rolam got swindled into being his partner.â€Â￾

“Ainab Guls' behavior is really becoming bizarre. One day he's friendly and sociable and the next he's irritable and reclusive. No one wants to be around him and his only company nowadays is the Breton slave girl he keeps.â€Â￾

Perhaps, for the second rumor, the quest-giver can be the slave? Since Ainab Guls is a sorcerer, maybe some sort of enchanted object can be behind his strange behavior.

The Inn Between

No ideas as of yet.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Vampires would be an interesting encounter. As for The Inn Between, how about investigating a scenario where they were expecting a shipment of something that is really, really late? You can ask some adventurers in the Inn on the local area and any potential dangerous spots, and they'll point you to three locations that might be good for ambushes. So you go snooping around in those locations until you find the one with the remains of the shipment and then you have to track the attackers down to some hideout, kill them, grab the shipment and any loot you can carry, and head back to the Inn for a modest reward for your trouble.

Perhaps completing the above quest could trigger the availability of a quest from one of the adventurers you talked to... "I heard how you handled yourself with that missing shipment issue... I've got a job you might be interested in" which could be anything at this point.

Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Those options require too much contingency work. Far easier just to keep it to proving his innocence. If the player does unlock his cell, we can give some dialogue about how the guard is too heavy to attempt an escape.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Hey Yeti and everyone - Were you opening this up to other questers to work on different things or should we wait until you finish the main part of it?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

We're still waiting on the completion of the NPC phase. I'll sort out how to split it after that's done.

In the mean time, feel free to scoot around the claim and see if you get any inspiration for misc quests in the towns or in the wilderness. Post anything you have up here! :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

The city of Akamora is quite possibly the most beautiful city I've seen thus far (Blacklight / Baan Malur is a close second). I've got a few ideas for quests, but I'm conflicted on the scale of the quests and potentially on who would be giving the quests (although with more time I could easily figure out the second).

The first idea would be from the ever-popular abolitionist standpoint.

Quest Location: Akamora
1. Convince the head of Akamora, Novas Senim, to give up his slaves. Obviously such a request would have you laughed out of his presence. From here you can do numerous things: First, you can petition to only set the human slaves free (especially enticing if you play a racist nord). This will be acceptable, but costly, as you must pay him to replace the slaves lost [Possibly gain a slave companion].

Second, you can ask his partner Aravel to get slaves freed for you. Aravel knows this is a costly endeavor but with some convincing (not bribery) can show him why not using slaves would be better business (Exporting Kwama eggs to other provinces puts you ahead of his main competitor (Indaren) when you can say "Slavery free", similar to the boom of "cruelty free" animal products in real life). Aravel knows Senim will approve of that idea if brought up later, first you need a way to replace the slaves (Most slaves will want to return home to their families). The easiest and quickest way to accomplish this is to find a large source of skilled but unemployed workers who will work for cheap (maybe a smaller mine is closing, or optimally there's another Map 2 or 3 town that has a large slum population you can draw from). Once you ask around, you find a person who will quickly spread the word and arrange for transport.

Options you can pick that wouldn't work: Offer to buy off all of his slaves (He'll just use the money to buy more slaves), threaten him or Aravel, straight up bribe Aravel to release the slaves.

2. A small Akamoran egg mine (Valen-Salenith) is in danger of being run out of business by the much larger Indaren-Veri Eggmine Company. Here you can have two options: Poison the Indaren eggmine shipment (high chance of being seen / bounty), or find out that Valen-Salenith are using a special potion to give their Kwama Queen to double her egg rate. Steal the potions and give them to Daryos Valen and ensure their survival.

3. I think this may be part of the Indoril quest, but get Novas Senim a spot on the Indoril Council (lots of bribes and murder basically is what I'd plan. Senim seems like a gentlemanly jerk).

Let me know what you think! I'm just bouncing around ideas :P
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Heritage lost: (some vague suggestions)

I made ancestral tomb in Memphalain mountains (think it was named Indalas) hosting a lich carrying enchanted amulet named Illumulet (yes dungeon mater reference, rename if necessary).

In Akamora you could speak to a young noble, who has recently discovered that his family has been keeping him from learning that there was a certain branch of his family among his ancestors.

He has decided to do a research and find out more about this family on his own. Speaking to local sages and loremasters, his evidence was pointing him to a rare ancient book, listing members of old tribes, currently in possesion of Telvanni wizard/henchman xxx.

Player can now retrieve the book. Xxx is unwilling to sell it, it is too precious to him/her. He may require some other rare item for exchange or some service. Or he may be persuaded to sell it for the price. Still he allows player to read it without taking it away.

You can now bring the book to the noble, who will thank you and reward you with some nice family trinket. He will however hint, that he would be happier if he did not know what his ancestors were in the first place (this enables following dialogue):

Or alternatively, you can uncover the dark history of the Indalas family and location of the ancestral tomb from the book (requires some careful and intelligent reading).

Speak about it with the noble and he will ask you to end the shame of his family, by making sure that his wretched ancestor does not walk this earth as a lich. He also asks you to retrieve the illumulet from him.

Find the tomb, kill the lich, bring the amullet and get reward.

edit: Or was it Therano? It is actually the one in the memphala's valley.
THEO
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Mortimer wrote:Quest Location: Akamora
1. Convince the head of Akamora, Novas Senim, to give up his slaves. Obviously such a request would have you laughed out of his presence. From here you can do numerous things: First, you can petition to only set the human slaves free (especially enticing if you play a racist nord). This will be acceptable, but costly, as you must pay him to replace the slaves lost [Possibly gain a slave companion].

Second, you can ask his partner Aravel to get slaves freed for you. Aravel knows this is a costly endeavor but with some convincing (not bribery) can show him why not using slaves would be better business (Exporting Kwama eggs to other provinces puts you ahead of his main competitor (Indaren) when you can say "Slavery free", similar to the boom of "cruelty free" animal products in real life). Aravel knows Senim will approve of that idea if brought up later, first you need a way to replace the slaves (Most slaves will want to return home to their families). The easiest and quickest way to accomplish this is to find a large source of skilled but unemployed workers who will work for cheap (maybe a smaller mine is closing, or optimally there's another Map 2 or 3 town that has a large slum population you can draw from). Once you ask around, you find a person who will quickly spread the word and arrange for transport.

Options you can pick that wouldn't work: Offer to buy off all of his slaves (He'll just use the money to buy more slaves), threaten him or Aravel, straight up bribe Aravel to release the slaves.
This looks fairly original, but it needs a bit more development. Obviously you need a questgiver (it's perfectly fine to invent the odd NPC for quests), and a reason that the questgiver needs you to do this for them. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that there's a big market for Fairtrade style ethical goods in Tamriel, but there could be something in the concept. Not sure why you singled out the Nords as particularly racist! Maybe that's from something in Skyrim, I haven't played it.
There should also be some sort of reward in this for the player, so they don't feel shepherded into playing the good guy.
2. A small Akamoran egg mine (Valen-Salenith) is in danger of being run out of business by the much larger Indaren-Veri Eggmine Company. Here you can have two options: Poison the Indaren eggmine shipment (high chance of being seen / bounty), or find out that Valen-Salenith are using a special potion to give their Kwama Queen to double her egg rate. Steal the potions and give them to Daryos Valen and ensure their survival.
I like this, you should develop this idea more. Maybe let the player choose which mine to support?
3. I think this may be part of the Indoril quest, but get Novas Senim a spot on the Indoril Council (lots of bribes and murder basically is what I'd plan. Senim seems like a gentlemanly jerk).
You're right, this sort of thing isn't really Misc quest material and the faction quests will cover high level political stuff.

You're on the right track with these kinds of ideas IMO.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Theo, I like that quest. Needs a bit of fleshing out and tweaking, but it's good. Nice to see you back here too.

Mortimer, good start: definitely read what gro-Dhal has to say. Man knows a good quest. Look forwards to seeing it develop!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

gro-Dhal: Thank you very much for the feedback so far, it's helped me to go back and rethink a lot of what I wrote. I'm going to skip the slavery thing for now and instead go off of the second quest I discussed earlier.

So there's five eggmines (abbreviated EM from now on) in the city of Akamora. Indaren-Veri, the largest one; Aravel-Senim, their main competitor; Tiranat-Payrs, a minor competitor; Valen-Salenith, a failing small EM; and Abanidanon, the local Temple run EM.

My main idea is to be able to choose any of the five and bring them to dominance, leading to five, count them, five different ways to solve the same quest! Yes this is a lot of work, but I definitely think it's worth it. Here's what I have so far for ideas:

It's hard to NOT hear about the Eggmines in Akamora. When you ask anyone they immediately mention the Akamora Eggmines and list them off, usually with a preference as to what they support or dislike. This leads you to the owners of the EMs themselves. After talking with any of them you hear their plight (either they don't control all of the egg production OR their mine is failing entirely) and can choose to support whichever you want. Now it gets interesting. Ranked from easiest to hardest going downwards:

Indaren-Veri: The Eggmine Monopoly
This is the most straightforward questline and involves buying up the smaller eggmines (excluding the Temple - the Temple is more of a charity not-for-profit), and taking control of Aravel-Senim. Valen-Salenith will be bought without a fight if you talk to Salenith (he deeply regrets partnering with Valen). Tiranat-Payrs will require a bit more haggling but they sell easy with some intimidation towards their families/status. Aravel-Senim needs something more. Talk to Aravel to find out they would sell their EM business if they had another industry to move into. Find a mine (or series of mines/abandoned mines) and purchase them / just report they exist if they're abandoned. Hand over the deeds / get deeds created and trade them for the EM. It's as easy as that.

Aravel-Senim: The Eggmine Feud
The second most difficult of the five and plays most similar to the first one. Aravel-Senim already own a very profitable EM and have no problems with the smaller EMs, but Senim's feud with Indaren over Indoril Councilship makes that mine his biggest target. Both Aravel and Senim know that intimidation or blackmail won't work on the largest EM in the area owned by a very powerful man. So the best way to beat him is straight business tactics. The first quest is simple (and provides an incentive for player exploration), and that's to get Innkeepers around the Map 2/3 area to only use your shipments of eggs (TelMuthada, Marog, etc. Probably 3 total). Next is diversification. If there is another mine (ebony/glass/gold, I don't know which one is most reasonable nearby), Senim wants to purchase it/occupy it if it is abandoned. This, he claims, transforms his image from country eggminer into conglomerate king while greatly increasing his income. Using these resources allows him to tap into the fine goods market, selling "gourmet" kwama eggs alongside glass/ebony/gold jewelry. Kwama eggs were a working man's staple food before, but with some gold dusting over them they quickly become an upper-class novelty. A week later come back and find he has used the extra money to purchase the Valen-Salenith EM as well as Tiranat-Payrs supplies. Senim has one more task for you: sneak into Indaren's house and steal his journal. Indaren, though on the Indoril Council, acts more like a businessman than a holy leader and most certainly wrote poorly of his fellow councilmen (grounds for suspension and/or expulsion). After reading his journal Senim finds Indaren even insulted Indoril's bonewalker (another terrible crime). Convince Indaren to give up his mine in exchange for not releasing the hundreds of copies of Indaren's journal and a partnership in the new mine. Indaren knows he's in a bind but agrees on one condition: that the journal and all copies of it be burned. Senim orders it done the very next day, but hands you the last remaining copy filled with gold and diamonds, saying that no book that powerful should be destroyed, and should he need to use it in the future, he will know who to contact.

Tiranat-Payrs: The Eggmine Conspiracy
Payrs (the owner of the Laughing Goblin/Underground Bazaar I believe) is a lady you want absolutely nothing to do with. Her mine recently closed, but she still holds the deed and much of the mining supplies. She wants to get back into the mining business in the fastest way possible - take another eggmine. She wants to sabotage the mines to convince them to sell. First, you must destroy Valen-Salenith. Luckily, her parents were both famed alchemists, and she will give you a bottle of poison to give the kwama queen (or just stab her to death, make sure the guard doesn't see you!) Next, take bottles of special impotency potions to the two largest mines to make their output almost zero (either convince the guards to do it for you or do it without them seeing). A few days later the mines are in uproar over no more egg production. Offer to cure the queens for a large portion of their business (with a note from Payrs). The large mines will most certainly say no. Payrs will send you to sneak into Aravel and Veri's house and murder them at night, leaving a note signed by a well known Argonian assassin threatening more violence if they kept mining. Go back to Senim and Indaren offering just a bit more money and they'll jump on it to get rid of the mines. Of course the real threat was you, but now you have the mines, the supplies, and most importantly the money.

Valen-Salenith: The Eggmine Struggle
The classic underdog story. (Already in game backstory) Daryos Valen inherited an EM from his father and convinced Rolam Salenith to help fund and run it. But it's a terrible mine and everything seems to go wrong for them. That's where you come in. Advertise the mine's products, convince small town businesses (as opposed to large innkeepers) and townsfolk to only buy their eggs, physically carry shipments and do all the grunt work they don't have the people to do and work your way to the top by sheer force of will. But the higher ups don't like that. Indaren and Senim were both planning on you going out of business. Defend against their assassins (once you find out its them who send them) and threaten to reveal Indaren / Senim's actions to the community and they cut you a deal: for a small cut of their profits shut your mine down. Obviously you could take it as a choice but the main way is to say NO DEAL and utterly destroy their reputation with the evidence you found. Both are found in contempt of the Indoril council and forced to resign their mine deeds to Valen. Tiranat-Payrs is quickly bought out and you end up a partner of the largest Eggmining operation in Morrowind.

Abanidanon: The Eggmine of Faith
No one in their right mine would expect the local charity EM to take control of Akamora's production. Unless of course you're the new Temple's megalomaniac head priest. With some convincing he'll tell you some of his plan, as he needs an outsider to make this work. He recently recieved a shipment of bottles from the mainland Temple of a particular wine that was left out during a blight storm and became infused with blight ash. He wants you to wear Temple robes and perform the yearly blessing of the Kwama, a ritual that supposedly increases kwama fertility and output. Instead of the ceremonial cider the Kwama Queens were fed, he is going to have you give them the Blight Wine, giving all of the Kwama Queens blight disease, making their eggs diseased and unable to be sold. Once you perform the ritual a week later he sends you to Marog to get the local expert on Blight diseases and tell him there might be an outbreak in Akamora. He accompanies you back to the city and you take him to the eggmines where he examines the Kwama and indicates they all definitely have blight and should be purged to ensure the disease doesn't spread any further. All mines have their Queens and much of their kwama population destroyed. On return you find out the head priest gave Abanidanon's Kwama Queen the blight (which was then destroyed). The head priest is nowhere to be found, only a note on his desk with the words "Namira thanks you". Congratulations, you have put many out of work and endangered the whole city. Was it worth it? (Note, I chose Namira as she is the Daedric God of beggars, hence the temple. What could be a better offering than creating a city of them? I was going to have the priest be Namira in disguise, but I would have to expand on this section quite a bit to have it worth of first-person Daedric interference.)

(PS: Nords hate elves in Skyrim due to the Aldmeri Dominion conquering much of Tamriel and threatening much of their land. There's even a city with a Dunmeri ghetto with Morrowind refugees! Unfortunately that's where the depth ends, you can't help either side and there's no interaction between them.)
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

This is very involved and would require some work to implement, but it looks good. I like the idea of actually doing something with eggmines, which were an irrelevance in vanilla.

I assume these sub-questlines are mutually exclusive, and that beginning one would make the other paths inaccessible? If so some thought will need to go into how 'obvious' the beginning of the quests are- otherwise there's a risk that 90% of players will go to e.g. Payrs first and never realise they had any alternative choices.

Also I like the daedric influence but we're trying to stick to the Anticipations and the Four Corners, as they're well established in the Dunmer cosmology. Boethiah would be a better choice than Namira.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

I know it's pretty involving, but I like the idea of having more than one path. Even cutting it down to two (Senim vs Valen, or big vs. small) would be an improvement over a lot of linear quests.

As for informing the player they have a choice, let's take the very first quest where you attempt to buy up other eggmines and intimidate others. Either a dialogue choice like "Actually I would rather work for you.", or NPC dialogue itself that says, "Won't you think it over and help my mine instead?" with a yes/no option. I have a feeling both would be incredibly convoluted after a while the more paths added in. Theoretically someone could work for all four then switch to the last one which has great potential for error. The local flavor text for Akamora always has "Akamora Egg Mines" as a topic. Selecting that currently usually brings up the five mines in the area (which is where I got the idea), so I'm not *too* concerned they'll be railroaded into the first NPC they meet (as most are retreated within their homes and not easy to find).

But as for the work itself, I'd love to split it up, hear adaptations, take votes/advice on what to cut or include.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

What if you're a member of the Temple? I assume some of the mine owners wouldn't trust you to help them (although perhaps the smaller ones (Tiranat-Payrs & Valen-Salenith) are in such a bad way they would be happy to accept the charity). Not sure charity is the right word, but you know what I mean.

Maybe Sheogorath instead of Namira? But Boethiah's a good alternative as well.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

The Temple is so pervasive, especially in Indoril territory, that it doesn't matter so much if the player's a member. Also Sheogorath is overused. Boethiah is definitely the best fit.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

It's an Indoril city, with the two largest mine owners being members of House Indoril (one of whom is a councilor). My first thought honestly was Sheogorath, but after Oblivion I think he's so incredibly overplayed I don't want to fall into that "XD SO RANDUM SHEO" type of quest. Boethiah fits pretty well, though.

Edit: gro beat me to it!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Update: I am working on finishing the NPC and dialogue work for The Inn Between and I should have a file up at the end of the week. After that I think it would be best for someone with fresh eyes (perhaps arvisrend?) to error test this claim and tidy it up for quest work.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Here is my last file. There shouldn't be too much left to do before questing.

Some things to do:

1. The Inn Between and the inn in Akamora don't have rentable beds yet.
2. Dun Akafell's hostiles should be at least partially redone, as per BC's suggestions.
3. Of course, someone should go over all my dialogue and the NPCs themselves.
4. This file is going to need a thorough cleaning.

Concerning your quests Mortimer: While I think they are very well designed, they seem like something that should be saved for the House Indoril faction questline. Misc quests should be simpler and should mainly concern less important people. Simpler quests will also be quicker to make which will help to speed up the release of Sacred East.

Also, does anyone know what Why is up to? I mean, I understand if he's too busy to mod at the moment (I barely have the time myself) but if we're going to proceed with the final quest work on Sacred East, I would think it would be good to have someone around to be the Head of Quests.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Why hasn't been online in a while and we haven't spoken with him since he was last online, so we don't know if he will be returning at this time.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Is it correct that this ESP depends on the Mainland ESM? I thought it should only depend on Data...
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

I am really laughing my ass off that this is probably the 100th this has been asked.
In other words, YES it IS correct and it has been like that for ages.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Claiming for typo hunting. Which is half-done already, but I'm going out for an hour or so.

You've got some French English in there: "apparantly", "transcendance" etc. Other than these typos, I like the dialogue.

Mephalian mountains? Mephalain mountains? Allow both and make this a matter of dialect?

I don't like this as a generic-NPC reply to the "Hlersis" topic: Hlersis is a bloatspore mining settlement. Most of the people that live here are very poor, and every day is a struggle to survive. It's really adventurers like yourself that keep this place running by buying room and board at The Leaking Spore, and supporting the local economy by buying wares from the locals. The random guy on the street, when asked for the city he lives it, won't be blabbering about "supporting the local economy".

Topic Ayemar: I know little of this fortresses true history. Just that it is a stronghold of House Indoril. Is "fortresses" a correct genitive of "fortress"?

Topic Udanjira: Choice "Continue" 6 "If I wanted to hear about vampires I would have read a book. Or go out hunt some down." 11 I couldn't resist extending this: Choice "Continue" 6 "If I wanted to hear about vampires I would have read a book. Or go out hunt some down. Actually this would be less grueling than listening to your stories." 11

Topic Udanjira: Choice "Continue" 7 "You're evil. Vampires have rights too. Just stop talking." 11 I think this reply is somewhat immersion-breaking. Changed it to Choice "Continue" 7 "Wait, didn't you... ah! I see you've been narrating this from the perspective of the vampire all the time." 11

I replaced "cosy" by "cozy" as we're writing American English. Though I use lots of BM in my own dialogue...

Topic Centorius: The bulky Imperial lounged at me, throwing everything between us aside. He drew the iron claymore strapped to his back declaring that I'd better be as talented with a blade as I was with my wit. Wanting to cut the oaf's ego down to a more appropriate level I gladly drew my own weapon. Centorius laughed upon seeing my elegant dueling saber and swung his claymore downward. I don't understand what "lounge" means here.

Topic Background: too rigid for me tastes replaced by too rigid for my tastes. Or was it some dialect?

Topic specific place: Here at Ayemar you'll find Indalas Manor is the big central tower in the pentagonal plaza. The Entrance Hall, where merchants gather, is below that on the ground level. The first sentence doesn't sound right, but I haven't changed it.

Topic specific place: All you see here is what there is. Shouldn't this rather be What you see here is all there is? (Not changed, as I'm not sure.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Mephalain should always be Mephalain.
"This fortress's true history"
Extended 'words in the PC's mouth' Choice options are generally out of character for Morrowind. Remove unless absolutely vital to the conversation. If they are, consider if the conversation itself is sufficiently entertaining/important to be worth it.
"The Imperial lunged at me" is clearly the intent. That whole speech could do with some editing though.
The last two are relatively idiomatic/conversational English (the first line will presumably be one of my own - 'find' is used in the sense of 'discover/realise' rather than 'locate'), but neither are actively wrong - could be clarified for the general reader if necessary.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Done with typo hunting. Dropping the claim. This doesn't mean I won't get back to it (for floaters and stuff), but it means I can't guarantee to, and it means I'll leave a post here if I do. However, I'd like somebody else to fix the Akamora mess-up (see the bug list below), since I am not sure how that thing is meant to look like.

Some bugs fixed

Lots of minor typos. (For some reason "posses" seemed to appear several times. Also, when NPCs address the PC, there sometimes was no comma before %PCName, as in: "Don't you think so %PCName?". In some cases this is okay, but in some it didn't look right, so I've inserted the comma.)

I changed Payrs (as in "Telera Payrs") into Parys everywhere, since the NPC herself is called Telera Parys and this is better pronounceable.

FIXED: TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling Terrain_rocks_WG_01 Mephalain Mountains Region (31,-13) 255830 -100891 3422 "caspering"

FIXED: TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling Ex_De_Shack_Door Mephalain Mountains Region (30,-13) 250484 -99224 5076 "this door places me kinda stuck"

Bugs and non-bugs not fixed
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Extended 'words in the PC's mouth' Choice options are generally out of character for Morrowind. Remove unless absolutely vital to the conversation. If they are, consider if the conversation itself is sufficiently entertaining/important to be worth it.
I'll leave these choices there, as they are the only thing that make the (intentionally moronic) conversation interesting. (Eifid is telling his stupid stories, and these choices are more or less witty ways for the player to call bullshit on them. I've changed two of the least witty ones to more witty ones; I haven't added any of these choices.)

As we are talking about subtleness, Fasele's "Background" topic I am the slave of Ainab Guls. I don't mind being a slave, really. If I was free I would never be able to live in as nice a house as this. My daily tasks are never anything exceedingly difficult, just a little cooking, cleaning, and the occasional love making. You certainly won't hear me complaining about that last part! might need some of that. Or a disposition condition?

Topic "The Inn Between" answer I bought this place from the former owner, a %PCRace by the name of Otik. [...]: Who is Otik and why does he have an USB hub in his neck?

Topic "The Inn Between" answer A wonderful place! I've been there many times while on missions. It's a First-rate inn in every way; great company, plenty of booze, and the best spiced potatoes you'll find in all of Tamriel! This answer is conditioned by Faction=TR_FightersGuild. I don't like the idea of all Fighters' Guild members have the same answer of this kind; it looks like from an advertisement leaflet.

I have not done any serious floater hunting, but during the little time I spent in Akamora I've found a bunch of strange stuff. Here's a list of what I have not fixed:

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling ex_vivec_waterfall_01 Akamora (30,-12) 252962 -92581 2502 "float"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling in_de_shack_door Akamora, Serogan's Shack 4410 4110 14650 "unlinked (judging from the ext, this door must lead into a cave)"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling In_MH_door_02 Akamora, The Laughing Goblin 3840 4064 -512 "can't get through here. door must be made bigger or we need a horizontal passageway" or kill this door for its redundance?

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling Furn_Planter_MH_04 Akamora (30,-12) 249743 -90589 3052 "uberfloater"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling EX_MH_steps_01 Akamora (30,-11) 249468 -89525 3106 "to the left of this stairway, some gaps must be filled with refs" (I think this is fixed)

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling flora_corkbulb Akamora (30,-11) 249796 -89492 3035 "what the heck does this corkbulb do here"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling furn_de_r_chair_03 Akamora (30,-11) 249902 -89418 3121 "and this chair" There is like a TON of references buried inside the walls of this house.

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling TR_terr_WG_Cliff_03 Akamora (30,-12) 249640 -91025 -332 "this cliff ends abruptly at its northern end"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling Light_MH_streetlamp_01 Akamora (30,-12) 250372 -90663 3009 "floater"

TR_M2A8.ESP 2/7/2012 (02:27) skraeling terrain_rock_wg_12 Mephalain Mountains Region (31,-15) 256733 -115916 2567 "caspering"
Last edited by arvisrend on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

So far a lot of these errors are from the dialouge that was part of the file when I got it. I guess I should have checked over it more :?
arvisrend wrote: As we are talking about subtleness, Fasele's "Background" topic I am the slave of Ainab Guls. I don't mind being a slave, really. If I was free I would never be able to live in as nice a house as this. My daily tasks are never anything exceedingly difficult, just a little cooking, cleaning, and the occasional love making. You certainly won't hear me complaining about that last part! might need some of that. Or a disposition condition?
I'd say just remove the part at the end. :lol:
arvisrend wrote: Topic "The Inn Between" answer I bought this place from the former owner, a %PCRace by the name of Otik. [...]: Who is Otik and why does he have an USB hub in his neck?
Otik is part of the old story of the inn from back when it was a treehouse. Not sure what you mean by "USB hub in his neck" :? Anyway, I'd ask Haplo about anything concerning The Inn Between/Dragon Nest Inn.
arvisrend wrote:Topic "The Inn Between" answer A wonderful place! I've been there many times while on missions. It's a First-rate inn in every way; great company, plenty of booze, and the best spiced potatoes you'll find in all of Tamriel! This answer is conditioned by Faction=TR_FightersGuild. I don't like the idea of all Fighters' Guild members have the same answer of this kind; it looks like from an advertisement leaflet.
I meant for only Guild members in Akamora to have this topic. It makes sense for the FG members of Akamora to have a unique topic for an inn that caters to adventurers. I guess I forgot to also filter for the exterior cell?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Oh, I meant USB port. I was referring to Otik's race being %PCRace - which reminded me of
MK wrote:I can also say that Morrowind is the finest novel written in videogame fiction. A 40 hour narrative whose main character is only ever referenced is almost Nabokovian in aspiration, and prophecies whose truth is determined only by the player is akin to Borges if he only had been born with a USB port in the back of his beloved neck.
As for the Inn dialgue, it is conditioned to only appear in the Akamora FG, but I still don't think it's a topic that more than one person should have. This is a subjective thing, though.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

arvisrend wrote:Topic specific place: Here at Ayemar you'll find that Indalas Manor is the big central tower in the pentagonal plaza. The Entrance Hall, where merchants gather, is below that on the ground level. The first sentence doesn't sound right, but I haven't changed it.
That should make more sense. Although you might want to change "at Ayemar" to "in Ayemar"