Map 2 NPC Claim #8 [arvisrend]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

@ Lud's file:

- dialogue topic "dunmer trader in a brown shirt": answer "I can't say [...]": a whitespace must be added after a full stop.

- dialogue topic "Ainab Guls": answer "Ok, fine. I gave him [...]": something's wrong here.

- dialogue topic "Ainab Guls": answer "I hope you can solve [...]": first of all, this has a lowercased "i". Second, this appears even after the quest.

- dialogue topic "latest rumors": answer "I have no time [...]" (filter for Fasele) has typo "gosisp".

Also, the quest doesn't react properly to killing Ainab Guls. You can still take away the amulet and everybody thinks you healed him.

I haven't edited anything yet, since TR_Mainland.esp is my priority, but will do so if wished.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Not, make sure to use the '.esp dependency' system for your work.

You shouldn't make any changes direct to the file of this claim, instead you should load up TR_Mainland.esp, but not as your Active File. Make your quest on that basis, and it will become the new Active File. This helps prevent merging errors, but you cannot move or delete or modify existing items or references, only add new things. Any modifications that would be needed should be included in a detailed list, so that the merger can make them.

The details can be found here under 'Use of Master Files': http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21296
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Thanks for the advice, BC. Actually, Why already went over the whole process with me, so I understand the whole process. But thanks for the link, I haven't looked at that yet.

I'm trying to read up on archives and the lore that you guys have thus far for specific regions--familiarize myself I guess you could say, and then I'm going to start.
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Cool, cool. I have no idea what goes on on IRC these days! :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Well then you should start signing on there and finding out xD
Not another memory

Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

We miss you, BC. I promise not to find all sorts of inappropriate meanings to BC, should you visit. :P
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

That being said, you probably will, won't you Andres. Still, everyone wants you to go on irc.

But I'm new and I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Not another memory

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Here's a fixed version.
Also, I'll take "Free at Last?"
Attachments
Clean fixed TR_m2_a8_q_flaw_lud.esp
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Granted Free at Last? to Lud

You'll probably want to use Ernaberinsu as the hideout for the mages. The Telvanni affiliation of the mage doesn't have to be apparent, if you ask me. The merger may need to remove some hostile creatures and adjust a few attack settings of the two mages in that cave.

In the process of checking out the surroundings I found that Harru Cavern isn't linked from the exterior door to the interior, someone is going to want to fix that!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

@Lud: What I meant is that Ainab Guls' topic "Ainab Guls" always gives "How can I help you, %PCRace?", independently of whether the quest is solved or not.

The more pressing problem is that your "latest rumors" answer "I have no time to bandy gossip [...]" is not properly filtered, so I am getting it from random NPCs around.

This might be due to cleaning, but then please tell this in the merge instructions.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Ah, that's what you meant.
These are very easily fixed, I can fix both of these and then post a new version.

EDIT:
See file.
Attachments
Clean fixed TR_m2_a8_q_flaw_lud.esp
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here's a subtle consistency bug: talk about "Ainab Guls" to the dunmer trader (Reram Vares). Choose "Are you sure?", then "No I don't", then "Please tell me", then "Nothing". You get "Yes, I've never heard of that treacherous weasel". This makes no sense here, since he has already admitted that he knows him.

There is also a "the the" typo in Reram Vares' dialogue topic "Akamora".

Maybe give Ainab Guils some post-quest dialogue for the case of a positive outcome?
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Here is a WIP of what I have of my claim so far.

There's a couple lines of dialogue that I'm not sure if they should be changed or not. I also don't know how anyone feels about the name "Tanisa Valor", but that can easily be changed.

My only other issue is that this quest starts as a latest rumor topic from the guards of Akamora, now granted if you end up finding Tanisa first, she can give you the quest regardless of whether or not you heard the rumor topic. I'm open to suggestions as far as how this quest should start, I didn't know that most of the guards have no lore and therefore don't have a latest rumors topic anyways.

But yeah I'm open to criticisms and suggestions, and whatever needs changing I'll change.
Attachments
Not's Test Plugin.esp
It IS clean, but it still says some random cells were altered even after you clean it with TESAME, talked it over in IRC, apparently that has something to do with a bug in vanilla, so yeah.
(11.87 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Not another memory

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Sorry, not a review, just a few random observations.

Topic "latest rumors" reply

Take care when traveling through the Mephalian Mountains, %PCClass. There have been several Dridea sightings recently, as well as reports of travelers gone missing.

This reply is missing a Cell condition. As it stands, it will appear everywhere on Tamriel (that is, everywhere where there are guards with no nolore variable). I know you can't do it without depending on TR_Mainland.esm, but you should mention it in the merge instruction.

More importantly, that reply is never said ingame. Whoever merges it should see that it lands in the beginning of the list, not in its end.

Minor detail in Journal TR_m2_Ak_Daedra 20: the Dridea population being so close to Akamora (I don't like the word "so" in this context) could better be the mountains southeast of Akamora being recently colonialized by dridrea (otherwise there are no directions at all in the journal). Also, "southeast" is very imprecise; I'd wish the NPCs at Akamora, Mines would have better directions (they should definitely know about the critters).

EDIT: Take the stuff about merge instructions with a grain of salt - I forgot that your file is a WIP. But eventually you will have to write those instructions.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

After talking with Why and arvisrend on IRC, I guess the WIP is fine, I'll just get rid of Tanisa Dralor, give the dialogue she had to the actual guard captain, and that should be that.

I'd also like to implement the second half of this quest if thats okay. I realize we have little time to get everything in, but I'm positive I can get it done.
Not another memory

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Time constraints mean I'm gonna need to drop my two.

If anyone's looking to claim something, the Inn Between one is more important.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Lud, you up for the Inn Between thing? Or are you still busy with Free At Last?

edit: see the first post for an updated list of quests
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

My quest is about done, I think. Files below. The _Why_2 file can be loaded alongside TR_Mainland.esm to playtest it. _Why_MERGEVERSION contains a cleaner .esp without altered NPCs, and a .txt file containing four simple things the merger should do when merging the file into TR_Mainland.

I'd be very grateful if someone could playtest and comment on it. :D
Attachments
TR_m2_Ak_Gem_Why_MERGEVERSION.rar
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
TR_m2_Ak_Gem_Why_2.esp
(19.45 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Wasn't able to really test this, but it looks rather well-done. Please notice, however, that Kaye might be either dead or have left the Inn if the Walk-the-Talk quest is implemented my way.

And the "little advice" reply "Rilas Dralethan has the greatest collection of gems in all of Akamora." should be conditioned in such a way that Rilas Dralethan doesn't say it. (Why is it an advice and not a rumor, though? I'd expect this to be an advice only from Thieves Guild NPCs, but are there any in Akamora?)
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

So I have a question, is it Dridrea or dridrea? and is it Matriarch or matriarch?

Oh and also, I'll (hopefully) have the second half of my claim done by tomorrow at the very latest.
Not another memory

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I'm still in the middle of "Free at Last". I'll see how quickly I can get this one done, then I'll have a look at taking the other one. At this stage, somebody who doesn't have a claim on the go would very likely be faster than me.
-Ophelia Benson
Captain
Developer

Post by Captain »

Hi.

I've been practicing away for a while, and Why has kindly informed me that the quest "A Lost Traveler" is a good, simple one for me to get back into TR with.

As it is quite simple, it should not take me very long, nor give me too much a challenge. :)

Yeah, so this basically me requesting to claim it.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

On that quest, the lost character needs to be at least somewhat interesting otherwise the quest itself is very dull. Functionally speaking it would be hard to make an easier quest, so prioritise writing good dialogue. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Okay so there's a Guild of Mages and a Guild of Fighters in Akamora, I assume there must be a Thieves Guild then right? Or have we not gotten around to that?
Not another memory

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

nah, things in quest reviewing are there because moderators move them there. You shouldn't actually be able to post any new threads in that subforum (or any claim subforum)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

There's no Thieves Guild in Akamora currently, and since interiors and NPCing are finished I'd assume we won't be adding one.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Oh, I should probably have mentioned that I wanted a thieves guild here. Hm. Nevermind for now. :/
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Well why don't we just use an already existing interior? I mean, unless we have some specific plan for say, The Laughing Goblin, I don't understand why we couldn't just turn that into a Thieves Guild branch.

I mean it's not like it'd really be that much work or effort at all, seeing as how we really can't make faction quests until most of the maps are done. Just a thought.
Not another memory

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Also, I almost forgot, here's the final version of my claim, I didn't know where to upload it. Sorry about that.
Attachments
TR_m2_Ak_Daedra_Not_MERGEVERSION.rar
This is the mergedversion in .rar format along with the .txt file.
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
TR_m2_Ak_Daedra_Not.ESP
This is a testable version
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Not another memory

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Some things I'm changing in Not's file:

- The two quests now have the same name, so that if you start the quest TR_m2_ak_daedra but then (before reaching stage 30) happen to run across the dridrea matriarch without getting directions, you don't end up with an unfinishable quest in your journal.

- Some dialogue changes. For instance, the first journal entry shouldn't be "One of the guards warned me..." since one can get the rumor from many citizens which aren't guards.

- Added the matriarch to cell 32, -13 for easier testing. The merger now won't have to replace the TR_cr_dridrea_GREATER by the matriarch, but just delete the TR_cr_dridrea_GREATER.

Not finished yet.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Wow, I guess I really screwed up badly. Sorry about that. I'll try harder next time I promise. This isn't like me, I swear I'll do better.
Not another memory

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not, either you need some more self-esteem or I need to write more clearly (unfortunately, this always seems to conflict with brevity). The thing that is "not finished" is my review, not your claim, which is well-done and has about as many bugs as a quest usually has when it is submitted. I'll post the corrected version here soon.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Fixed version, but unclean and dependent on Mainland (I can't run Wrye on this laptop).

Somebody please proofread the dialogue and journal after I made my changes.

In the merge instructions, replace #1 by:

Remove the TR_cr_dridrea_GREATER in cell 32, -13. Possibly move the TR_m2_q_A8_4_Matriarch nearby to the former position of the TR_cr_dridrea_GREATER.

@Why: could you make an update of your ESP which fixes the two things I mentioned above? (For Kaye, just let another NPC inform the player if Kaye is dead. Not the vampire hunter, of course.) Thanks!
Attachments
TR_m2_Ak_Daedra_Not.zip
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

I'll go ahead and edit the file dependencies.

Also, I don't know what you fixed as far as journal entries go, but the goal of the quest was to kill the Dridrea Matriarch, so if anything you'd want to maybe add some of the lesser Dridrea, but I'd leave the one matriarch as the whole quest revolves around killing it.

Edit: Here's the esp with the updated masters.
Attachments
TR_m2_Ak_Daedra_Not.ESP
(14.08 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Not another memory

Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

What is up with the vampires in dun akafell who don't have a name besides "Vampire". Are they labeled creatures? Since I can't recall bethesda having non-named vampires walking around. Maybe it's just me not looking far enough :).
--Mwgek--
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

In case Kaye is dead the barmaid direct you to the southeast of Dun A., that should already be in the file. I thought it'd be nice toe use something that wasn't latest rumors for a change. I'll upload a new file with better dialog.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Ah! I missed that reply. Sorry!
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

I'd like to re-propose a modified quest idea I had earlier for this map, based on new lore I've come across! An in-game book from Skyrim reads as follows:

INCIDENT AT NECROM

"Everyone knows the cemetery west of the city is haunted by some malevolent beings, and has been for many years now. The people have come to accept it. They bury their dead by daylight, and are away before Masser and Secunda have risen and the evil comes forth."

This actually fits as the perfect setup for the quest "Lunacy" I proposed here earlier, where the Telvanni lord of Necrom has ambitions to destroy one of the Twin Moons.

Furthermore, I think it provides foreshadowing and sort of an Easter egg between the games. And how much more lore-friendly can we get than making quest bast upon books of the past from a future storyline?

It's also a safe bet to say that 99% of the people who download the final TR product will have played Skyrim, so making a quest that fits in with Skyrim's history books on Morrowind seems like a no-brainer to me.

Anyways, I recommend taking a look at the Skyrim in-game book "Incident at Necrom" and taking another look at my quest proposal "Lunacy"

Danke Schon
Attachments
LUNACY.txt
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Telvanni lord of Necrom? What the heck are you talking about? Anyway, Incident at Necrom is Imperial-written fiction. Not worth accommodating our city with.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Incident in Necrom is a work of fiction that exists in morrowind. It is written by an imperial who was unfamiliar with the town. For this reason, we have disregarded it completely when making the city. Apart from this deal breaker, there is also no Telvanni lord of Necrom, it is a temple town located in Indoril Territory.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo