TR_Data Error Reporting

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

TR_Data Error Reporting

Post by Lud »

This thread is for reporting any errors you may find in the resources packaged with our Morrowind mods. For errors relating to where objects are placed, among other things, please use the other thread. :)
Please tell us about any issues with the textures, meshes, icons or other resources.
Please give as much info as possible.

Please use this format for posting errors:

----------------------
Object: what object has the error? (If possible, give it's ID)
Error: What's wrong with it?
----------------------

For example,

----------------------
Object: Cephalopod creature
Error: Hole in the top of the mesh

It can be very helpful to use Morrowind's beta comment function to report errors. To enable this function, simply open up Morrowind.ini and find the line:

BetaCommentFile=

Change this to:

BetaCommentFile=BetaComment.txt
(You can name it anything you want, as long as it has the proper extension)

Then when you see an error, open up the console, click on the object (you should see it's ID in the title bar), and type

bc "This is wrong"
or something similar
A log will be created stating the time, place, exact position, cell, and your comment.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson

Post by Guest »

The moths and butterflies lost their transparencies when I installed the updated new beta. Also some of them don’t move at all.
Gwathlobal

Post by Gwathlobal »

Object: Vermai
Error:
1) too fat
2) if viewed in Preview window in CS from the back one can see that the parts of the legs are not completely.

It is not at all easy to get to the Mage Lord (the big boss, I mean) in Port Telvannis. The one close to the ladder in Port Telvannis, Tel Thenim: Grandmaster's Chamber completely blocks the way to Rilvin Dral. Their collision boxes (or what? Donno, just those boxes around them, when you select them in CS) are twice as large as the actual size of the creature.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

There's something wrong with the man-eater plants. They are simply unable to attack anybody. It looks to me like their attack and idle anims are the same, because they don't do anything different when in combat.

Annoying because I need them to work for the MQ.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Ludovic wrote:Annoying because I need them to work for the MQ.
Argh! That's the fourth Vorrheis monster with defective animations! (The other three being the swampspider, the eyestar, and the ornada. For the ornada, it's not too bad, I've set it to be peaceful and very frail.)

Do we need it to be fighting against NPCs? Because, in the worst case, we could probably script it.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I can script it alright, just hoping there's a easy-ish fix first, because if the PC could fight them, I'd be very happy. (And one part of the Imperial side would be far more fun)

Just have a look and tell me if there's an easy fix.
If not, I'll write a couple of scripts. :)
Don't tear yourself over this, they're not that important an element.
-Ophelia Benson
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Object: TR_bk_MwhStonefall
Error: Missing icon
Solution: Use "TR_bk_HerHands" icon
-------------------------------------
Object: TR_bk_mapbook_m1_01, TR_bk_mapbook_m1_02
Error: Title is ugly, little more than a placeholder
Solution: Switch to invisible pixel canvas in Photoshop
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Object: All TR diseased creatures
Error: Do not have any sort of disease script on them
Solution: Add disease scripts
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

No scripts are needed. I don't know what game to blame, but the wolves in BM don't have scripts either, but they still give diseases.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Really? huh. So what makes an unscripted diseased creature behave differently from a healthy creature?
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

What, do you mean altered attack and flee ratings? Or altered statistics? Other than that I've never noticed any difference.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

The difference is that the scripts makes the creatures incurable. See, diseases are spells, so all you need to check to see if a creature is carrying a disease is to look on its spell tab.

However, diseases can be removed by casting a cure disease spell on them.

What the script does is checking if the creature has the disease-spell, and if not, add it back. So you can heal the diseased rat over and over again, the rodent will always carry the disease anyway.

In my experience, people don't bother casting cure disease spells at enemies, so the script is useless. :)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

But I want to be kind to animals... :(

:wink:

Anyway, I thought I might as well post a creature error that was mentioned before, if only for order:

Daedric Bats are too slow. From what I remember from a play test, it isn't only their speed, but also the rate at which they flap their wings, though I'm not sure if that can be changed. It looked to me as though it wouldn't stay airborne for more than a second...
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Object: Vermai
Error: The Vermai's forwards running animation looks slightly 'anti-gravity', and 'slo-mo'. Also, when dead, parts of it's body just dissapear depending on how what angle the player looks at it.

Object: Diseased Nix-Hound/Greater Plaguebearer Bonewalker
Error:Several new creatures, namely the Diseased Nix-Hound and Greater Plaguebearer Bonewalker have 0 speed, making them run at you in insane slow-mo. Not apparant in CS, so it's being reset/damaged in-game.

Object: Mounted Dres Guard
Error: The Mounted Dres Guard's idle anim looks jerky.

Object: Silt Strider (wild)
Error: Silt Striders have no turning animation, and just snap to their new direction. (This could be something you can't fix though)

This is a repost of some errors I mistakenly posted a while ago in the general, Map 1 specific bug reporting thread.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Object: Firewatch gates (TR_m1_FW_gate[...])
If the large gates of Firewatch are *open* when the script triggers to bar them at night, the open gate is barred, which not only makes it ineffective against intruders and peculiar to see, but also makes the bar bleed through the gate. It is also impossible in such a scenario to unbar the gate, shut it properly, then bar it.
Correction: Script the gates to shut on CellChanged (Is it even possible to script opening and closing doors?)
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

groza528 wrote:Object: Firewatch gates (TR_m1_FW_gate[...])
Actually, that's an Map1 error, since it's not a problem with the object's model or texture, and the script ID begins by TR_m1. It's for Map1! :)

But I thought these damn scripts had been "fixed! Finally!" at least twice already... :(
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

groza528 wrote: Correction: Script the gates to shut on CellChanged (Is it even possible to script opening and closing doors?)
Yes, the Activate function should be able to cause the gates to close(or open; this function did not work on doors in the original MW but has been fixed in a patch). However there are some complications. To properly use Activate, OnActivate must be called at least once (I've personally tested this and know it is true). It has also been reported that to use the Activate function the the item must have been manually used by the Player in the previous 72 game hours (I've not tested this, and it's kind of heresey, check MWSD for details).

Another solution would be to use the AIActivate (fixed in Tribunal release for doors) function on a unique guard NPC at the gate to close it if the gate is open (may want to use OnActivate checks to "know" if the gate is open or closed, reset this check at night when the door is locked, and make sure to only allow the PC to effect the opening and closing once the previous open/close "animation" is over via a timer).

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Object: Book, "The Most Cruel Trade" TR_bk_MostCruelTrade
Error: If you hit "Take," you don't take it. The take button vanishes and the book stays open. Closing it causes the view to freeze up (corrected by hitting the inventory button)
Nicholas van Rjin
Developer

Post by Nicholas van Rjin »

Object: misc_argonianhead_01
Location: Bal Oyra, Tandryen Reyas' Home 3609 4148 15568 Mounted on wall
Error: Named "The Head of Scourge" -- This is a named MW item. It should be made into a static or be given its own TR unique ID (and renamed) so that there remains only one "The Head of Scourge" in the MW world.

Object: All moths
Error: The wings show as colored moth-shaped wings on a black rectangular background. Area outside of wingspan should be transparent.
I could get soooo much more work done if I didn't have an adorable, and very demanding, cat. Play with me, pet me, hold me for at least 10 minutes. Okay, that's enough. I'm leaving. Three minutes later... I'm baaaaaack.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Object: Book, "The Most Cruel Trade" TR_bk_MostCruelTrade
Error: If you hit "Take," you don't take it. The take button vanishes and the book stays open. Closing it causes the view to freeze up (corrected by hitting the inventory button)
This happened with "The Weight of Guilt" as well. It could possibly be related to the spell-teaching scripts.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

It is. Groza, if the MWSD8 script for dealing with this problem worked for you in the TG quests can you try to write a new version for the spell books (since you probably have the most experience with dealing with this problem :P )?

-Starcrunch
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

I don't know why the moths aren't alphaed. The textures are alphaed. The model, when seen in NifSkope, is alphaed. It's very strange.

As far as the spellbook scripts go, I have only one thing to say, and it's that I hate making scripts for books. As Morrowind Scripting For Dummies says, it's completely bogus and broken, with functions that don't behave the way they should.

You have the same problem with Bethesda's Pilgrim Path.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I'll try to fix the spellbooks but I'm not making any promises. I still don't have a fully functional scroll in the Thieves Guild. I do have an idea that might work for the spellbooks.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

I've found first-hand that not all spellbooks/scrollbooks suffer from this problem, so I'll just adapt the working script to the bogus books.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Is there any pattern to which ones work? For example, do they work better if you learn the spell, rather than if it's beyond you? If there's not a pattern, I would love if you could give a few examples of working spellbooks so I can compare the scripts and see if there are any differences.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Alright, I got a code for the spellbooks that works properly. I'm going to go ahead and fix them all and post a fix .esp that is dependent on TRData. I'll handle that tomorrow afternoon though, because it's bedtime.
Here's the script if someone else wants to do it. Essentially taken right from MSFD.

Code: Select all

Begin TR_BoTs_Burden

short WasActivated
short OnPCEquip
short PCSkipEquip

;Skip it if you already know the spell
if ( player->getspell "TR_BoT_Burden" == 1 )
	Return
endif

;Check to see if you can learn the spell
if ( WasActivated == 1 )
	set WasActivated to 0
	if ( player->GetIntelligence >= 80 )
		Player->AddSpell "TR_BoT_Burden"
		MessageBox "You have learned the spell Weight of Guilt from this book."
		PlaySound "skillraise"
	elseif ( player->GetIntelligence >= 60 )
		MessageBox "There is a spell to be learned from this book, but you cannot figure out how to cast it."
	endif
endif

;Triggers when you open the book from your inventory
if ( PCSkipEquip == 1 )
	set PCSkipEquip to 0
	set WasActivated to 1
	return
endif

;This is important or else you can't "take" the book
if ( MenuMode == 1 )
	Return
endif

;Triggers when you open the book from the world
if ( OnActivate == 1 )
	set WasActivated to 1
	Activate
endif

End
The ID of the script, ID of the spell, and the necessary intelligence levels should be adjusted based on which book it is.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

All fixed. Gez, I PMed you my .esp, so if you could go ahead and merge that into TR_Data that would rock.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Due to the general buggyness of the Vermai's mesh (and the fact that you share several other meshes with him, e.g. Sea Crab etc.) perhaps it would be a good idea to ask PirateLord if you can use his [url=http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=648754&st=0]new Vermai model[/url]?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I'd prefer the buggy one...
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Andres Indoril wrote:I'd prefer the buggy one...
Really? I find its crazy anti-gravity-ness extremely annoying.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Well that's an animation issue, not a mesh issue, if I'm not mistaken. Who do we have for animators nowadays anyway?
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Well, I am a strange person, everyone knows that :P What I prefer, is what I prefer, not what is better.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

groza528 wrote:Well that's an animation issue, not a mesh issue, if I'm not mistaken. Who do we have for animators nowadays anyway?
We already have all these errors for the current model (not all animation related, and anyway, animations are integral to the mesh AFAIK):

1)It's "too fat"
2)If viewed in Preview window in CS from the back one can see that the parts of the legs are not completely connected.
3)Their collision boxes are twice as large as the actual size of the creature (particularly noticable in Lord Dral's chamber).
4)The Vermai's forwards running animation looks slightly 'anti-gravity', and 'slo-mo'.
5)Also, when dead, parts of it's body just dissapear depending on how what angle the player looks at it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

mm, I was mostly talking about the slo-mo. I don't know how closely the animation and mesh are related.
I'm just concerned that PirateLord's vermai looks too humanoid. I think it's the legs. I don't know, what do other people think?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Well, IMHO anything's better than the current one, and [url=http://www.pirates.retreat.btinternet.co.uk/Vermai.jpg]his version's[/url]not too far off the [url=http://www.til.gamingsource.net/bestiaries/battlespire_large_vermai-2.jpg]Battlespire version[/url].
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

I think I might have mentioned this before, but the Daedric Bat's Collision Models are messed. It's difficult to hit, and when it does die, it sinks and bleeds right through the floor. Also, they seem to get stuck alot in ruins and trees.

Solution: Fix collision models, adjust random creature placing.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

The fact that they fall through the floor is not fixable, it is a flying creatures standard behavior.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Creatures do not use collision box. They use a collision node instead.

And I have no fucking idea how to change a collision node, as all that appears in NifSkope is a single vertex. I've changed all the values I could, in both the .nif and the X.nif, and everytime upon restarting the CS I would find the collision box generated by the CS to be unchanged.

If someone can tell me how to change the collision box using the collision node, I'll be happy.

As far as sinking monsters go, it is indeed a feature of flying creatures. I've tried to fix it by editing the animation, it didn't have any effect; and it was dreadfully long and dreadfully boring to do that work so I haven't tried it again.

Just so you won't exaggerate my technical capacities as far as animation go, my theory about sinking is that the creature falls to the ground first in its animation (which gets the mesh to go below its usual "reference point" if you see what I mean) and then the whole object is moved downward by the engine. I thought the mesh sinked (sank?) because its death put it below the reference point, so editing the Z pos for each frame of all anims so that the creature would stay above its ref point even once dead would let it rest on the ground.

Not only was it mind-numbingly repetitive, but after some testing, I found out that the sinking corpse problem was still here, and that hitting the bat was more difficult as one now had to target even more below the creature than before. In short, it only made things worse. So, I deleted this fix attempt and dropped the issue.

As far as the vermai go, Vorrheis' model isn't good (there ain't many models which are flawless, Vorrheis made them as an eager beginner, not as an experience modeler). But it's ours.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Gez wrote:As far as the vermai go, Vorrheis' model isn't good (there ain't many models which are flawless, Vorrheis made them as an eager beginner, not as an experience modeler). But it's ours.
So no hope of improvement, then? :(
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Making a replacer plugin wouldn't be too hard.