Closing Time

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Closing Time

Post by Sload »

I was serious about my resignation. I am hereby relinquishing my duties as the Head of Quests and Lore of Tamriel Rebuilt.

No, Noirgrim didn't make me do it. I actually posted my goodbye to the management last night. That whole thing was a reference to Noirgate, when Noir used me as an excuse to leave in the summer of 2005.

I left for a number of reasons. The main one is that TR was encroaching on my "real" life, or maybe its the other way around, I'm not sure. In short, I just didn't want to do this anymore. Or I couldn't. Its the same thing, really.

There are some things I want you to remember.

Be informed. As much fun as it is to voice your opinion with no idea of the situation, this really doesn't help. It actually hinders the situation to have everyone who doesn't know what they're talking about say how they feel. Learn about it and then talk about it. The more people that know things, the better.

Be flexible. We're all wrong some times. Don't just bend over when someone disagrees with you, but objectively consider what they have to say. I'm only "right" as often as I am because I change my stance as new information comes to light.

Speak out. If you see shit, say so. Voice your opinion, but remember to be informed and flexible. If something doesn't seem right, find out why.

Try new things. Get out of your comfort zone. If you're good at making exteriors, try to make a quest and post it in your showcase. Don't just fall into your own little niche and never do anything else. But don't expect yourself to be good at everything you try, and don't keep going at it if you just don't enjoy it. Not everyone can be good at everything, but if everyone just says "This is my job" and stays there, things become stagnant. I didn't even try to make quests until three months after I joined.

Don't take it personally. I've been an ass to a lot of people, here and elsewhere, and a lot of people have been an ass to me. Ignore that! If you need to drop a few f-bombs to make your point, do it, but don't get your panties in a knot when someone's rude to you. That just slows everyone down.

Trust authority. If you don't know anything about the subject, trust someone who does when they say something, even if it sucks. There are some unfortunate things we have to accept, and even if we'd like it to be different, it can't be.

Believe the unbelievable. This mod will rock if you remember this one. Step out of the comfort zone of the logic and embrace the ridiculous lore. Its what makes the world alive.

Mod. This is fun and we're friends and everything, but TR is a project. It won't go anywhere if you wait for someone else to make it for you. You need to remain just as active in modding as you are in the forum.

Have fun.

I think my time is up now, so I hope you pay attention to all of that. You've all been great, like the best band in the world. So long.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Happy trails, and may your path once again verge TR's.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

So long, gonna miss your avatars!
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Post by Zephyr »

It's really a shame to see you go, but I can understand your decision easily. Pretty much the same thing happened to me too, regarding real life and such.

Instead of your avatars, I'll miss the work you've done. Hopefully other people can step into your shoes. Not just a single person, but a whole group of them.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i realy respect what you have done for the project and wish you luck with your real life.

Valar Morghulis / Valar Dohaeris
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

Good Luck in all your future endevours Sload.
I, personally, am going to miss you. if nothing else, who is going to scrutinese my work as closely as you have and thus spur me on to work harder and achive more.
On a concrete cross you fall
Both a martyr to your cause and mine

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
lb003g0676
Developer

Re: Closing Time

Post by lb003g0676 »

Sload wrote:
Don't take it personally. I've been an ass to a lot of people, here and elsewhere, and a lot of people have been an ass to me. Ignore that! If you need to drop a few f-bombs to make your point, do it, but don't get your panties in a knot when someone's rude to you. That just slows everyone down.
You certainly taught me this. The hard way.

Sload wrote:

Believe the unbelievable. This mod will rock if you remember this one. Step out of the comfort zone of the logic and embrace the ridiculous lore. Its what makes the world alive.

And your quote in your sig preaches this.

And if you ahd spoken to me sooner on IRC, I would ahve relaised it doesn't need to be preached, becuase you are only stepping down.

Bloody get me worried.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Good bye and good luck Sloadie :]

You will be missed around here, and not just because of all the work you do for us at TR. I hpe you come back one day though.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

See you soon mang *waves*
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Strange, I somehow get the feeling that I'm the target of most of your advises. Perhaps I'll follow the ones I haven't, and for what it's worth, I'll miss you despite all of the arguments we had. Instead of luck (which I believe is for loosers), I'm wishing you success in whatever it is you'll do, and hope this success leads you back here. Cya amigo.
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

Sload wrote:I've been an ass to a lot of people
No doubt. But you are a lovable ass. :D Miss you dude, and I hope you do well in real life. Thanks for your profound leaving words. I think that we should immortalize them in the FAQ or something. Maybe make a sticky quoting them. Oh well, goodbye Mr. Sload!

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

my quote on Enric Milres' The Alik'r still remains true, Sload. Remember to keep on keepin' on :)
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Adieu Sloady.

You've been a great ass to TR :P jk

Take care friend.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Nanu, in Admin wrote:I did so not see this coming.

Sload, you're great. That feels really weird to say, but you are a great guy. Sure, you can come off as an asshole and a jerk sometimes, but I believe that any project needs that criticizing member to keep it straight. That was you, and you did a damn good job at it.

You had a vision for this project, but we all do. What makes you great is that you actually tried to get that vision implemented. I'm not saying that you're the only one, there are others; I'm saying that you've done the best job of it.

Best of luck to you, [Sload]. I wish you well on your exams and your life, and I'm sure you'll be back.
Yep, still applies. :D

I hope you do well, darling. I'd love to see you back in action sometime.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Who will I have 'discussions' with now? Goodbye Sload, I hope you have a nice IRL.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

While I admittedly thought you were a wee bit asinine when you first joined TR, you have most certinly come far, and contributed a great deal to this project. I am rather disappointed to have missed most of your productive period, it seems; you have most certainly learned much and given much in your time as moderator, and I and all the people of this project will miss your help. Though I quite understand the impositions of this bizarre entity known as "real life."

Good luck in whatever endeavours you engage in and happy trails.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Now I'm confused as to whether you're just stepping down or actually leaving, but I might as well go with the flow. :D

With you gone there will certainly be an empty space to fill, I don't know how many bad ideas have been put aside due to the points you mentioned, and which I'll try and keep in mind. I think I'm really going to miss you here. :( Good luck, and I hope you'll be able to come back later. :)
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well, Sload and I were talking over AIM, and he's not getting any official position until he is on top of life outside of TR, trivial as it may be. Being as I'm the questman now, I'll be going to him for advice and interpretations of lore, and questions about scripting plausibilities.
It's not like he's going away away though, I talked to him every day on AIM before he stepped down, and I've talked to him every day since.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I see, thanks for clarifying that. :D Nice to know he'll be in more places than just memories. :wink: Now just re-read my last post as though it was talking about Sload's stepping down from his moderator position. :P