On permissions and other things

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

On permissions and other things

Post by Lud »

There are a few proposals regarding viewing/posting permissions in the claims browser that I'd like to make that have been bandied about for a while. These are all pretty simple, so I'm sure nobody will have any problem with them.

1)Make the unclaimed part of ints and exes viewable only to TR modders. (It's stupid to have to keep telling non-modder sthat they can't claim stuff)

2)Make the claimed sections of each part of the browser visible to all, so that random visitors will be able to see how we work and get a taste of what we're about. I would also propose that they get the ability to post there too, as positive feedback is great for progress, making people work faster and happier, etc, etc This might also encourage more people to apply for moddership, as they see what it involves.

3)Make the reviewing sections visible to TR modders. Now that all modders are vetted, we don't need to be as worried about offending people. Our modders are mature enough to see the criticism that is made of their work.

4) (A minor one) Give mods the ability to post straight in Quests:Unclaimed. I can still get quests into there, it just takes lots of tedious button pressing.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

The first two re definitely good ideas and would be quite helpful. Idea 3 is okay but I don't think it matters too muc either way. I suppose it could help a modder get started a little faster on fixes, but I'm not sure what else would benefit from it.

Number 4 is also a pretty good idea. All our modders rightnow are probably responsible enough not to cause problemswith this.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i still dont agree with opening reviews. call me old facioned. ive presented my arguments before, chiefly that it would serve no purpose what so ever to modders and that we (reviewers) would get nagged and complaied at more then usual.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Ideas one and two are good.

I don't like the idea of three though. The reviewing process should be impartial and not something to have a debate about. Also if people don't like the review they are given (ie; a revokeable or absolutely horrible int) it would be best if they didn't know who actually gave that review so they can't abuse or tirade the reviewer.

I'll like idea four for you, although I have absolutely no idea what it is about :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Nomadic1 wrote: I'll like idea four for you, although I have absolutely no idea what it is about :]
At the moment, only Administrators can post straight into the Quests:unclaimed forum. GMs should also be able to put questlines that have been written and are ready for claiming here.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I like especially the second idea. Giving people information how the mod is going on is very helpful. If people can see the progress we're making they will be much more interested in the future releases and perhaps try to be a modder themselves. The comments people have might not be that useful, but it's always nice if someone can see your work and appreciate it. :)
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Ideas 1, 2, and 4 seem sound. I think reviewing works best if the reviewers can work from anonymity and the HoR serves as a buffer. Yes the stuff TR members make now is better, but nobody likes to be humiliated by being publicly told that they had 37 floaters, 13 bleeders, 5 lore violations and so on, and so forth. Many reviewers would also feel queasy about pointing out nitpicky things that they leave to the discretion of the HoR if their posts were made public.

-Starcrunch
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

y'see, i really like idea 3 as i'd love to know what is said rather than having to ask TF all teh time what's been said and what needs fixing as i can fix my interiors a lot quicker than reviewers with a heavy workload. Surely making the review board open to modders is a great way for them to realise any mistakes with their work and give them a good oppurtunity to fix anything required rather than bogging reviewers down with 20 interiors that need fixing all with 10 minor problems in then...
On a concrete cross you fall
Both a martyr to your cause and mine

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

1)Make the unclaimed part of ints and exes viewable only to TR modders. (It's stupid to have to keep telling non-modder sthat they can't claim stuff)
I could have sworn Haplo took care of that. If he didn't, I agree.
2)Make the claimed sections of each part of the browser visible to all, so that random visitors will be able to see how we work and get a taste of what we're about. I would also propose that they get the ability to post there too, as positive feedback is great for progress, making people work faster and happier, etc, etc This might also encourage more people to apply for moddership, as they see what it involves.
I don't want people spamming up the browser from outside the modder base. Claims with more then one page are a pain in the as as it is already. We can open them up to be seen, though.
3)Make the reviewing sections visible to TR modders. Now that all modders are vetted, we don't need to be as worried about offending people. Our modders are mature enough to see the criticism that is made of their work.
Maybe for THEIR claims, yes. If I (or anyone else) made a dumb-ass mistake and Thrig chewed me out about it (which he should, seeing my position,) I wouldn't want the rest of the team seeing what was said.

And, can modders see finished? Nevermind, they can't see what was posted during the review phase, I don't think.
4) (A minor one) Give mods the ability to post straight in Quests:Unclaimed. I can still get quests into there, it just takes lots of tedious button pressing.
Sure.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I agree with 1 and 4. I don't like 2 because I need no spammers attack peoples claims and I don't like the idea of reviewing boards being open too, because we might get those "When is this gonna get reviewed?" messages a little too often. But, heh, that's just my opinion.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I support all four of these. I've proposed the first three a number of times, and no one's ever objected to the first two, they just never were implemented. I think modders shouldn't take reviews so personally. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the Sload.

Even the Sload guys.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I support all 4.

on 3, people already had their mistakes pointed out in the showcase, let them see their reviews. If they ask about the slow speed of the reviews I will point them towards the reviewer test or explain that we are all busy. (or that some ints are low priority and won't be reviewed for a while)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

For 3, I can vividly recall a competant modder getting publically humiliated through the reviewing process. This modder spent an incredible amount of time on an interior and submitted it. It was subsequently reviewed and revoked with little fanfare. The modder wanted to know why (publically). And so the reviews were posted. One reviewer took one look at it and said revoke it. The other reviewer listed about 100 errors before stopping after a mere four rooms and saying to revoke it.

I believe that if the reviewing forum were made visible, all modders should work through an alias ("Reviewer A", "Reviewer B", etc. so they remain anonymous). Modders should also be able to see their claims only.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Nomadic1 wrote:Modders should also be able to see their claims only.
I forgot about this idea and how much I like it
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Agreed on 1 and 2, 4 sounds fine as well but that's your thingy :)

I don't think you third proposal is a good idea though. I've been HoR for quite a while and the HoRs before me and after me (Lady N, Sniper4) always agreed that this is a bad idea. Together we've been HoR for years and we've had enough experience with reviews getting public and reviewers getting bashed over it. Even as HoR I sometimes got bashed for sending reviews back to modders. Even though I soften the parts where reviewers were totally bashing the interior.

Now I know that we have a more competent modderbase these days, because of the TR modder group. However, a good modder that makes a nice interior can still be immature and easily offended. On top of that, there's no real reason for people to see it. If it's about the confusion of claims disappearing, just add an auto-PM to the modder that his claim is submitted or something similar.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Forgive my "rebellious" thoughts:

In terms of number 3, I'm a quest modder in Morrowind and I know there aren't that many of us and that we've all been around for a while/come back after a hiatus. I don't see any reason why those of us in quests can't autonomously make our own policy to PM a copy of the review directly to the questmaker. If interiors or other depts don't think that would work well for them, there's no reason to force their hand, but from what I know of the questers (Ludovic, Starcrunch, El Scum) I don't think any of us are going to be at each other's throats.
I might, on the other hand, be the one who's bugging Lud about whether he's reviewed my quests yet. Sorry Lud :)
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Re: On permissions and other things

Post by Haplo »

Ludovic wrote: 1)Make the unclaimed part of ints and exes viewable only to TR modders. (It's stupid to have to keep telling non-modders that they can't claim stuff)
Done already...?
2)Make the claimed sections of each part of the browser visible to all, so that random visitors will be able to see how we work and get a taste of what we're about. I would also propose that they get the ability to post there too, as positive feedback is great for progress, making people work faster and happier, etc, etc This might also encourage more people to apply for modder-ship, as they see what it involves.

Done for registered members for now, if it becomes a problem I'll remove it. If it works great then changes'll be made for guests as well.

Done
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:
Nomadic1 wrote:Modders should also be able to see their claims only.
I forgot about this idea and how much I like it
What?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Modders should be able to see their claims when they are in reviewing, but only their claims.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

That would probably be difficult.

And I still think its a stupid objection deriving from egotism which is in itself contrary to the successfullness of a group project.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, I doubt that's even possible.

Zalzidrax
Developer

Re: On permissions and other things

Post by Zalzidrax »

Haplo wrote: Done for registered members for now, if it becomes a problem I'll remove it. If it works great then changes'll be made for guests as well.
Uhh Haplo, did you hit the wrong button or something? I can no longer see the unclaimed sections of the quests, exteriors, or interiors claims.
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

uhh... same.

I can't see the Design portion of Quests...so, yeah...

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Er... yeah. Not my fault.

But fixed anyway.

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Even if it is possible, I disagree with Thrignar and Nomadic in this. First of all, because I can't understand why a modder shoudn't view the work of others, but also because it's helpful for some. For example, I've checked a couple of esp's to get an idea about how specific things must be done. Just thought I'd mention it.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

El Scumbago wrote:Even if it is possible, I disagree with Thrignar and Nomadic in this. First of all, because I can't understand why a modder shoudn't view the work of others
Nanu Ra wrote:Maybe for THEIR claims, yes. If I (or anyone else) made a dumb-ass mistake and Thrig chewed me out about it (which he should, seeing my position,) I wouldn't want the rest of the team seeing what was said.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Yes, also, you forgot to set view permissions for reviewers because now I can't see the Unclaimed forums :P

Which reminds me I should start doing reviews again.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Right, that's fixed.