items from other mods

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

viKING
Developer

items from other mods

Post by viKING »

Hi again

I just wonder, will we/you use items from mods which are lore friendly and of quality? Ive seen some oblivion quality mods out there which could spare you guys some work... Like the dwemer spider.

sorry if the question have been asked before.

viKING
-the real OC G
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

I think TR does to some degree, but tries not to make a habit of it, since every other mod will be doing the same.

I agree, the dwemer spider is awesome, I remember working with Grimdeath and co on the sounds for that project. Great fun, and quality was quite a high drive, despite some arguments cropping up about the Hunger and Frost Giant's appearal (mind you, I cant say I like Bethesda's recent revision of the Hunger either...).
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yes, TR does use items from other mods, but only when we need it. the dwemer spired and co. will be used because we have need of dwemer constructs. however, we dont just use stuff because it looks cool, we use it if we need it. the perfect example of something we wouldnt use is a huge weapon complication that has nothing to do with hammerfell but looks cool. we try to keep a unique look and not cluter our data files with useless resources.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

I understand this, but I'm not really thinking about weapons and other "misc" items, but more about items/creatures from lore which have been made, and of course is quality work, could spare us some time and give us time to think about other things instead. I don't think making an oblivion model is a short process, so why not accept somebody else's work and use the time make something else we need?

Do not misunderstand me, I'm not trying to argue against tr's rules, but I just wonder if we accept such things=)
-the real OC G
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Well, if such creatures are conceptually applicable to the "look and feel" we're trying to achieve for Hammerfell/Morrowind, by all means, TR might use them.

But as far as I know, not many good creature (as in quality and lore applicable) mods have been made for Oblivion. I would be thoroughly against using anything like the rather generic offerings in Martigen's Monster Mod, and such, mainly because the creatures are mostly unimaginative rehashes.

Did you have something specific in mind TheViking?
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

i understand there is another theviking here now;)

I do not really have other creatures than the spider in mind. But the main reason i took up this question is that I wish to help with the project a little bit again. There have been some time since last I did anything for you guys, and I do not know much about how to mod or texture for oblivion, and I don't think I will go back to texturing, since I do not have much freetime. Therefore I need some other way to help this fantastic project again, just on a lesser scale.:)
-the real OC G
Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

Youp, you are only a Viking, theViking is "THE VIKING" :P

Helping TR could be done in several ways, if you dont have the time for texturing, meshing or whatever do something else. Spread the word of TR, become a Prophet of Tamriel (nice title), come up with quests, or something else.
Thrignar-Fraxix - elfane, is a CA machine

Elfane's need list - camel & tortoise...
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

(I was "the viKING" before;) nah just kidding, I can change my nick:))
but I guess I just hang around for a while and see if I can help.
-the real OC G
Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

Stick to your nick as long as you know your place :P
You are most welcome to stick around.
Thrignar-Fraxix - elfane, is a CA machine

Elfane's need list - camel & tortoise...
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Haha, you are back. Luckily you write viking differently, :) . At least now we can pillage Old Ebonheart together. (And Elfane if he wants to)
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

hehe, aight=P just say if the name is a problem, and I'll change it :wink:
-the real OC G
Dureiku

Post by Dureiku »

This is the one reason I prefer TR to Silgrad Tower when it comes to Morrowind. TR adds enough to be a new place, but still fit in with the original game. ST decided to include so many 'cool' things that one wonders why there aren't any of (whatever) in Vvardenfell. And 'cool' things like miniature khajiit/argonian slavse (errr... pets) or somesuch... just breaks lore too terribly.

I realise this question was referring to Oblivion and I am talking about Morrowind mods, but I feel the same thing applies. Only things unique to Hammerfell or that would logically not be found in Cyrodiil should be added.

NOTE: I was not trying to bash any other mods... just said I 'prefer' TR and you guys should stay away from cluttering things up with too many new items from mods.
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

yes, I agree about that. But I was thinking about lore based mods :wink:
-the real OC G
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Just in case anyone would care to know, I've not given up on my TR version of MCA, which I hope will be quite up to the standards of both Neoptolemus and TR.
Dureiku

Post by Dureiku »

Just be careful how you dress the added NPCs if you add MCA to TR. If someone isn't using a lot of clothing mods then having a bunch of MCA-added NPCs wearing cool cloaks, hoods, quivers, and better bodies clothing will ruin the immersion instead of help it. Especially if the player can only get the clothing by killing off the added NPCs.

That and having random 'friendly' assassins just walking around the streets... wearing a full suit of assassin gear in broad daylight. Y'know just wandering aimlessly with no apparent purpose.

Or how about commiting a crime and having a 'Rogue' of all people attempt to arrest me...

I had to make a large amount of changes to Vvardenfell's MCA just to keep it lore-friendly and logic-friendly. So please don't make those same mistakes.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

I'm thinking of tweaking MCA a bit and include it as a separate esp. I hated the fact that Neo dressed up the nobles with coats and stuff like that. It was a small dissapointment to see minor mistakes such as this and the ones you mentioned.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Necromancy, but this is the only appropriate thread to say that there's a nice modders' resource announced in the ESF, some palm trees. They look good, perhaps they need some more tweaking, but they're the sort of thing that we could use.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Wanna link us to it?
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Here it is. http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=11329
There are two authors involved, one of which is called Prometheus. Any chances he's THE Prometheus?
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yes, yes he is. ive been talking to him about this.

his whole criteria with this relz is that its not finished and still has flaws. however, he feels that the comunity can help eachother out here since this is such a much needed model. he says that if a modder brings this to compleation or makes changes to beterfy this they should upload it to the site -- also as modders resource.

so, my question is, anyone up for doing some quick fix up's on these? both to benifit TR and spread the sweet wealth (along with PR) 'round.

PS. some of you may rember me talking about these before they went up.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!