Grumbe Dog's Showcase (of Hammerfell Society)

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

grumble_dog12

Grumbe Dog's Showcase (of Hammerfell Society)

Post by grumble_dog12 »

Before presenting my showcase, I wish to introduce myself, whose real name is Kurtis, to the Tamriel Rebuilt community.

I used to live in British Columbia, Canada, which is where I originally began playing Morrowind. At the time, my young brain was amazed that I could actually play htis type of story, which was startlingly similar to the fabricated scenarios of my mind. The Elder Scrolls as a series and as individual games has always remained in the forefront of my list of favourite things ever.

I remember that I have, at one point, recounted the "abridged" version of Tamriel's entire history, to my friends, though I will admit that I made some of it up (or at least expanded on my minimal knowledge of certain aspects).

A couple of yeas ago, my family moved to the Boston, MA area, where I managed to get a huge group of people interested in the Elder Scrolls. I plan on returning to Canada for University (either McGill or UBC).

I may be interested in the scripting/ physical modding of TES, but those are NOT areas where my talents lie. I am into the lore and literature of the game, which led me to write this essay for my Showcase:

The essay is the account of a visiting Imperial/Redguard official describing the position of the local Redguards in respect for setting up or maintaining trade agreements.

Compendium of Imperial Commerce
by Akil Florius

I find, and I believe, as my esteemed colleagues, that you will also find, in our history of dealing with the citizens of Hammerfell, that a trend of increasing acceptance of our power does truly exist in the region controlled by the Forebears. In my position as ambassador of the Elder Council to Forebear Hammerfell and under auspices of Imperial economy, I propose that a heightened trade agreement through Colovia to Southern Hammerfell could be beneficial to all involved interests.

For those colleagues of mine, who sit upon the elder council, and yet are uneducated of the quibbling of Redguard factions, you must understand the importance of the position occupied by the Forebears, for it is only with comprehension that a mutual trade arrangement will be negotiated. The Forebears are a proud people, and their devotion to the power of the Empire and to the worship of the Nine is quite commendable. The history of the much-admired warriors of the Ra Gada, those who we call the Forebears, is one of assimilation to the Imperial ways while rebelling against the oppression by the traditionalist Crowns.

Trade has historically been a meeting point amongst our own culture and the cultures of Hammerfell, and Redguard history can show us the current need to multiply trade routes across our borders. Our Imperial race first had contact with the Ra Gada, phonetically known as Redguards, before the second era, in the form of trade. Commerce caused a certain portion of their society to embrace Imperial mannerisms, dress, language, and even worship of the Eight. Trade has always been a connection between our two peoples, and there is no better time than now to foster this relationship. In the second era, Hammerfell's society split into two major camps: the Crown, who continued to support traditional Yokudan traditions, and the Forebears, the descendants of the original Ra Gada, who wished to assimilate into the fine culture of which we already called our own. With their willingness to trade, the Forebears began to become very prosperous, making their capital, Sentinel, into the merchant giant which we know it as today. Seen in the explosive expansion of Sentinel, the extremely beneficial effect of trade between Cyrodil and Hammerfell will help the region of the Colovian West prosper in a manner reminiscent of the era of Sutch.

Any trade agreement, my good friends of the Elder Council, will need a rigorous outline, so allow me to push the process into motion. The Redguards have experience in growing crops, especially fruit and grain in their desert climate, which could supplement the Imperial Province's agriculture. Imperial expertise on the construction of sturdy roads, as well as the surplus of building supplies found in our own home-land would be seen as beneficial in the more arid, desert-like regions of Hammerfell, especially in the southern Alik'r and on the Helkori Plains. Long ago, the empire built forts for defense along the Black Road form Chorrol, and their strategic position would be the perfect point from which to promote and regulate a steady stream of trade goods upon numerous caravans. The ideals and prosperity of Sutch could return to the Colovian Highlands and the lower stretches of the Imperial Reserve. Minerals from the mines of Chorrol, sold as luxury items in foreign markets could raise empire-wide recognition of the city’s buried riches. Cultures of Cyrodil mixed with the cultures of the Ra Gada will enrich daily lives of the Empire's citizens, and there are no finer economic allies in all of Tamriel than the proud Forebears of Hammerfell.

Council members, I must stress the importance of building a strong relationship with the Redguards. We have both historically benefitted from first and second eras from trade enterprises, and adding a land based component to the already booming sea trade routes will only improve the situation! In this position, it is truly a great opportunity, no, a great requirement, that we here today shall solidify the foundations of this great economic pact!
Breedonian
Developer

Post by Breedonian »

Well I'm impressed, that was a good read :) I can't comment on it Lore-wise however.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

You have the Imperial bias down pat, and the rhetoric is convincing. However, you forgot to mention the newest Redguard political faction, the Lhotunics. They are based in Sentinel, and are a midground between the two extremes. Essentially, they have a respect for the Empire, but a reverance for their own culture and heritage. You may want to read up a bit on them (the newest PGE has a bit more info on their origins), and include them in your piece.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I did indeed know about the Lhotunics and their moderate mix of Imperial respect and old Yokudan ways. I didn't think that they would be needed in this piece, as it was meant to convince the Elder Council to support a trade agreement between Cyrodil and the Forebears. Also, because the author is a supporter of the Forebears, he may have negated including the Lhotunics due to the Forebear opinion that "accepted worship of Satakal is grounds enough for heresy against the Empire." (from the newest PGE) He would have been hesitant to advocate the Lhotunics in fears of being ridiculed by the Forebear community that he is to represent/to be biased towards.

Now that you have heard my reasoning behind this exclusion, I will be glad to add content on the Lhotunics if you still deem it necessary.

Thank You,
Grumble Dog
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Interesting point. You may want to make a brief passing mention of the Lhotunics, grouping them with the Crowns. Either way, I think this piece accomplishes its goal.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I agree that there could be a passing reference to the Lhotunics, so I mentioned them at the end of the second paragraph. You can decide for yourselves which one is better...

by Akil Florius

I find, and I believe, as my esteemed colleagues, that you will also find, in our history of dealing with the citizens of Hammerfell, that a trend of increasing acceptance of our power does truly exist in the region controlled by the Forebears. In my position as ambassador of the Elder Council to Forebear Hammerfell and under auspices of Imperial economy, I propose that a heightened trade agreement through Colovia to Southern Hammerfell could be beneficial to all involved interests.

For those colleagues of mine, who sit upon the elder council, and yet are uneducated of the quibbling of Redguard factions, you must understand the importance of the position occupied by the Forebears, for it is only with comprehension that a mutual trade arrangement will be negotiated. The Forebears are a proud people, and their devotion to the power of the Empire and to the worship of the Nine is quite commendable. The history of the much-admired warriors of the Ra Gada, those who we call the Forebears, is one of assimilation to the Imperial ways while rebelling against the oppression by the traditionalist Crowns and demonstrating to Hammerfell’s “moderateâ€Â￾ Lhotunics the benefits of the Imperial culture.

Trade has historically been a meeting point amongst our own culture and the cultures of Hammerfell, and Redguard history can show us the current need to multiply trade routes across our borders. Our Imperial race first had contact with the Ra Gada, phonetically known as Redguards, before the second era, in the form of trade. Commerce caused a certain portion of their society to embrace Imperial mannerisms, dress, language, and even worship of the Eight. Trade has always been a connection between our two peoples, and there is no better time than now to foster this relationship. In the second era, Hammerfell's society split into two major camps: the Crown, who continued to support traditional Yokudan traditions, and the Forebears, the descendants of the original Ra Gada, who wished to assimilate into the fine culture of which we already called our own. With their willingness to trade, the Forebears began to become very prosperous, making their capital, Sentinel, into the merchant giant which we know it as today. Seen in the explosive expansion of Sentinel, the extremely beneficial effect of trade between Cyrodil and Hammerfell will help the region of the Colovian West prosper in a manner reminiscent of the era of Sutch.

Any trade agreement, my good friends of the Elder Council, will need a rigorous outline, so allow me to push the process into motion. The Redguards have experience in growing crops, especially fruit and grain in their desert climate, which could supplement the Imperial Province's agriculture. Imperial expertise on the construction of sturdy roads, as well as the surplus of building supplies found in our own home-land would be seen as beneficial in the more arid, desert-like regions of Hammerfell, especially in the southern Alik'r and on the Helkori Plains. Long ago, the empire built forts for defense along the Black Road form Chorrol, and their strategic position would be the perfect point from which to promote and regulate a steady stream of trade goods upon numerous caravans. The ideals and prosperity of Sutch could return to the Colovian Highlands and the lower stretches of the Imperial Reserve. Minerals from the mines of Chorrol, sold as luxury items in foreign markets could raise empire-wide recognition of the city’s buried riches. Cultures of Cyrodil mixed with the cultures of the Ra Gada will enrich daily lives of the Empire's citizens, and there are no finer economic allies in all of Tamriel than the proud Forebears of Hammerfell.

Council members, I must stress the importance of building a strong relationship with the Redguards. We have both historically benefitted from first and second eras from trade enterprises, and adding a land based component to the already booming sea trade routes will only improve the situation! In this position, it is truly a great opportunity, no, a great requirement, that we here today shall solidify the foundations of this great economic pact!
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Alright, let's get an official grammar review.
___
by Akil Florius

My esteemed colleagues, I find and I believe (the commas are everywhere; we don't need this many. I also re-ordered your first sentence as it was overly confusing to read aloud.)that in our history of dealing with the citizens of Hammerfell a trend of increasing acceptance of our power does truly exist in the region controlled by the Forebears. In my position as ambassador of the Elder Council to Forebear Hammerfell and under auspices of the Imperial economy, I propose that a heightened trade agreement through Colovia to Southern Hammerfell would be beneficial to all involved interests.

For those colleagues of mine who sit upon the Elder Council and yet are uneducated of the quibbling of Redguard factions, you must understand the importance of the position occupied by the Forebears. It is only with comprehension that a mutual trade arrangement will be negotiated. The Forebears are a proud people and their devotion to the power of the Empire and to the worship of the Nine is quite commendable. The history of the much-admired warriors of the Ra Gada, those who we call the Forebears, is one of assimilation to the Imperial ways while rebelling against the oppression by the traditionalist Crowns and also demonstrating to Hammerfell’s “moderateâ€Â￾ Lhotunics the benefits of the Imperial culture.

Trade has historically been a meeting point amongst our own culture and the cultures of Hammerfell, and Redguard history can show us the current need to multiply trade routes across our borders. Our Imperial race first had contact with the Ra Gada, here colloquially known as Redguards, before the second era in the form of trade. Commerce caused a certain portion of their society to embrace Imperial mannerisms, dress, language, and even worship of the Eight. Trade has always been a connection between our two peoples, and there is no better time then now to foster this relationship. In the second era, Hammerfell's society split into two major camps: the Crown, who continued to support traditional Yokudan traditions; and the Forebears, the descendants of the original Ra Gada who wished to assimilate into the fine culture of which we already called our own. With their willingness to trade, the Forebears began to become very prosperous, making their capital, Sentinel, into the merchant giant which we know it as today. Seen in the explosive expansion of Sentinel, the extremely beneficial effect of trade between Cyrodil and Hammerfell will help the region of the Colovian West prosper in a manner reminiscent of the era of Sutch.

Any trade agreement, my good friends of the Elder Council, will need a rigorous outline, so allow me to push the process into motion. The Redguards have experience in growing crops, especially fruit and grain in their desert climate, which could supplement the Imperial Province's agriculture. Imperial expertise on the construction of sturdy roads as well as the surplus of building supplies found in our own homeland would be seen as beneficial in the more arid, desert-like regions of Hammerfell, especially in the southern Alik'r and on the Helkori Plains. Long ago, the Empire built forts for defense along the Black Road form Chorrol, and their strategic position would be the perfect point from which to promote and regulate a steady stream of trade goods upon numerous caravans. The ideals and prosperity of Sutch could return to the Colovian Highlands and the lower stretches of the Imperial Reserve. Minerals from the mines of Chorrol sold as luxury items in foreign markets could raise empire-wide recognition of the city’s buried riches. Cultures of Cyrodiil mixed with the cultures of the Ra Gada will enrich daily lives of the Empire's citizens, and there are no finer economic allies in all of Tamriel than the proud Forebears of Hammerfell.

Council members, I must stress the importance of building a strong relationship with the Redguards. We have both historically benefited from first and second era trade enterprises, and adding a land-based component to the already booming sea trade routes will only improve the situation. In this position, it is truly a great opportunity, a great requirement, that we here today shall solidify the foundations of this great economic pact.
____

Well done. There were a few comma errors and one misspelling, but this is a solid piece. You tend to hate periods, so try to make your sentences a bit shorter. If read aloud, this piece takes lungs of iron to read correctly. As an editor (I think I'm still able to do this) I'll put up my recommendation that you be promoted for writing.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

Thank you. I guess that my eloquence has caused my sentences to be exceptionally long in a detracting manner. I will make the effort to control that in the future
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Lotsa Words wrote:Long ago, the Empire built forts for defense along the Black Road from Chorrol, and their strategic position would be the perfect point from which to promote and regulate a steady stream of trade goods upon numerous caravans.
Ha!
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I'm glad I could be entertaining, Dexter. I see that I may have already developed a nickname thanks to my writing style. Not that I really care, Lotsa Words is probably better than grumble_dog12 (which is my MSN address)
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

eh? dexter was laughing about the fact that nanu missed an error....
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I know, but I was the source of the humour to begin with.

Not that I mind at all, of course.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Maybe if I bolded the recommendation someone like Haplo would look. :P
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

That would certainly be nice.
baevermannen

Post by baevermannen »

good writing!
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

Thank you
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Promotified for writing stuff

Sorry about the wait mang
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I suppose the wait was alright. It gave me the chance to begin on my next work, a correspondence between a trade outpost and high-ranking officials of Rihad, Taneth, and the Elder Council.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that I am a TR Modder, what happens?

I assume that I should post any more of my works in the Literature and Writing section.

Thanks for the Promotion,
Grumble Dog
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Yep, that's what you should do. I'll be around to check up on yours and others' grammar every so often.

Welcome to the team. :D
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

I'm glad to be part of the team!

Another question though:
should I post this essay in the Literature and Writing section?