n8-21-For

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

hugon
Developer

Post by hugon »

I think this is the bridge I have been working on for my showcase and I would like to finish him, so can I claim him?
I have just finished the rough shape of the bridge, and I wills start now with decorating, texturing, and making the bridge modular and making the bridge end.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

If you want to claim this, press the claim button in the upper right hand corner.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
hugon
Developer

Post by hugon »

I think this is the bridge I have been working on for my showcase and I would like to finish him, so can I claim him?
I have just finished the rough shape of the bridge, and I wills start now with decorating, texturing, and making the bridge modular and making the bridge end.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

granting, you do know you didn't need to say all that again right?
hugon
Developer

Post by hugon »

Now I know ;). I'm sorry I am not completly used to this claim-system. I hope the bridge will be finished by tommorow night.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

no problem. Finishing it by then would be excellent.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

its been a while... progress?
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
hugon
Developer

Post by hugon »

The moddeling is done, and it now in the texturing-stage, but my colluguea has been ill the past weeks so I have been working for the two of use, and looking for a temporary replacment, so I really haven't had any time to work on it. I think its best if I revoke this and claim a other low priority model when I have the time. Sorry to let you down.
Attachments
bridge3.max
(934.5 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

no probs :) could you maybe upload a non-max specific format, like .nif, .obj, or even .3ds?

revoked by request
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Seven
Developer

Post by Seven »

Not officially claiming, because I have another claim open and uncompleted. Just stating that I am going to play with this model because I like the drawing that much.
The human face can decieve you in a thousand ways, but the eyes never lie.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Claiming to finish off the texturing.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

granting.

im not sure how much is done or of what quality the work is. if something is wrong do change it.

use the GM fort textures
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Gotcha. The main structure currently has a solid stone GM fort texture applies, changing to cut stone to match an archway with cut stone.
Attachments
looks much nicer with cut blocks, uvws still need work.
looks much nicer with cut blocks, uvws still need work.
Was messy before with solid stone
Was messy before with solid stone
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

looks good so far. i would use some of the lighter wall textures and maybe some of the blue trim detail to make it more interesting.

progress?
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

sides almost completely done and normal looking. I didn't see any textures for a walkway in the GM fort set, should I cook up my own texture?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

check out the rest of the GM textures for something fitting (the top of the sidewalk texture might work) but if you dont find anything go ahead.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Any updates on this?
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i'm going to go ahead and revoke this because E hasnt been on in months.
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

are modders allowed to take on two meshing claims at once? I have to rotate projects so i don't get burnt out. I'd rather it be something for TR and not random.
...killing a six-pack of beer just to watch it die.

"you are awesome... become female so you can bear my children "
"This has been a known occurrence for years. We will not fix it." - Thriggy
"Anal crits are my specialty..." N
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

lol use it or don't I got bored and needed to work on a fresh concept. :D
[url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=bridge.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_bridge.jpg[/img][/url]
its almost completely normalized so editing it to match all the concepts wouldn't be an issue. I've only spent about an hour on it atm and i'll be going back to finish my 8-60 claim. I had a gander at the previous models and they just weren't good enough (eraser was doing awesome but they needed to be done from scratch). I built that wall tileset ages ago with FW I think, and if by GM_Fort you mean those walls I would say that bridge was way too far off the mark. I built the bridge in the same pattern and that old wip texture would fall in place over about 70% of the model. I also didn't feel like meshing the embrasures (since its not claimed) but there is a template with pre-mapped coords to start from, wouldn't take too long.
Attachments
bridge_wip.zip
(206.63 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by NexUmMonastica on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

it looks great, i'll check it out a little bit later.

any chance you'd be interested in modeling a draw bridge based on the same design? as in take out those two middle arches and replace them with a large wood (stone? iron?) section animated to go up when a lever is activated.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Good lord man, you are a machine.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

ok, took a quick look at it

first of all, i noticed a couple shading errors similar to my docks. did this have vertex shading? if so that could be the problem, if not it was just rendering strangely in nifskope (i did not get a chance to pop it in game for further testing, but i assume that at least the highlighted errors will persist)
[url=http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1676/bridgeerr3.jpg][img]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1676/bridgeerr3.th.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/483/bridgeerr2.jpg][img]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/483/bridgeerr2.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7295/bridgeerr1.jpg][img]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7295/bridgeerr1.th.jpg[/img][/url]

the polycount could be improved drastically imo. i'd take out most of the polygons in the central walkway of the bridge (oblivion bridges are completely flat, but i woudnt mind a couple polys worth of variance). polygons left over from mirroring the mesh can also be removed, especially on the back of the large columns, bottom of the arches, perpendicular on the guard rails.

anyways, great model, just needs a little polishing to be usable.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Jelle
Reviewer

Post by Jelle »

Those shading errors can be from the smoothing combined with stretched vertices. It needs some subdividing close to the edge of the bridge. That might be the problem with your dockthingy too.

I did some stuff in blender to illustrate what I mean, and how I usually get rid of this:
[url=http://img37.imageshack.us/i/messedupshadingexplains.jpg/][img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9329/messedupshadingexplains.th.jpg[/img][/url]
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

haha I just looked at those screens you made LN, all that was is I forgot to apply "smooth" to the tree: like I said I only spent an hour on it XD

jelle your diagram is pretty close to what I did, and it explains the same basic principle. I was just too lazy to isolate the right meshes. not everything has to be welded! :)

LadyN don't forget that this thing is going to be gigantic compared to clutter: and It is still under 5k. that's almost a third of the church and this will be spread out more. Jelle's example of subdividing is extremely important to making sure you don't have bad shading. I can take a few polies out of the road but I don't think its necessary. As long as this is under 5k its a smaller poly count than Bethesda would have allotted for.

:EDITED TO AVOID DB POST:

i did a 1 minute change up, and took some screens after I posted.
[url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=brg1.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_brg1.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=brg2.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_brg2.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by NexUmMonastica on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i want to cut as many polygons as possible, if something is under the limit it can compensate for something over the limit, and help to improve performance in general. some polygons (such as the bottom of the arch) are just completely extra, and add nothing to shading or anything

but anyway, focus on the market for right now, we can settle this later ;)
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

i understand: I would already have gone in and cut polygons without you telling me too, and in those places you mentioned: I just wanted to argue that I had already meshed it under the normal limit.

But in all seriousness I could just as easily work on two claims: I only work on the market a portion of the time in max because I get burnt out so fast: the other projects I have are just a waste. Think of it as giving me rested experience.

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

well if you think you can then go ahead and press that claim button :) you certainly work fast and this claim appears to be almost done.

just make sure you dont burn yourself out
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

here's an update: normals in mesh mode are 100% mapped and optimized.

so far 1 512x512 (maybe a 256x later) and one 1024x1024 texture

[url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=5.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_5.jpg[/img][/url]

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

looks good, granted
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

Another update: Module 1/5

Mesh : 99% (need to extend the base downward)
Normals : 100%
Textures : 10% (UVW Templates made)
UVW maps : 100%
Collision : 0%
Tris/Poly : 2848

[url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=6.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_6.jpg[/img][/url]

Other modules:
-Small divider with large towers
-Divider with an embrasure
-Entry/Exit stairs
-Drawbridge ...yes LN... I'll make a drwabridge :D

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yay drawbridge!!! the problem with many rivers is that adding a bridge completely blocks them off (unrealistic), so thats great.

a few polies you could stand to loose: the duplicated ones in the bottom of the arch, those on the thin strip between the semi-circles and the bridge proper (it looks like you cut them to create the semicircles), on the sides of the bridge, and on the bridge floor (i'd reduce them by about 50%, it will still have unevenness and look more natural but will save a lot of polies). 2848 is a good size, but it will be cloned and surrounded by tons of clutter... so i'd like to optimize it as much as possible (esp. since collision will increase the total)
[url=http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9800/20901892.jpg][img]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9800/20901892.th.jpg[/img][/url]
for the entry/exit, could you just make it a ramp? wagons need to cross bridges too. anyways, looks great, and all the modulars are even better. you continue to exceed my expectations :D <3
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

haha well I already cut out an absolute shitton of tris. I could try and shorten it more but that's going to be a total pain. Remember that this entire mesh is going to be less polys than one suit of Imperial Armor. It really does not need to be cut much. The subdivisions you want gone (besides those at the base of the embrasure: those can be one piece) would cause stretching in the shading and would make the mesh change in color as you walked pass. : and you'd only be cutting about 100 polys. I can cut 300 out of one pair of boots so taking these out would just make it look much worse.

I'll fix the subd's along the top of the wall here in a minute.

and yes: I like the ramp idea: I'll do that instead: it's going to save me a lot of mapping.

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

alright, sounds reasonable. i guess im just overzealous sometimes :P
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

well Im almost done with collision: I'll upload the mesh when I'm done (probably in about 15minutes)

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

great, ill take a look as soon as its up. care to drop by irc?
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

Here you go
Attachments
bridge update 5;15-6-20.zip
(82.46 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

NexUmMonastica
Developer

Post by NexUmMonastica »

I'm sorry, but the Mc fort textures are not applicable to this mesh: I tried but they just do not really seem to fit. they make it look too romanesque. Besides those textures are horribly mirrored and I ended up taking a vacation from tr before they were finished. That, and I didn't know how to use photoshop at all either XD

here is a screen of the current wip: I don't have directories lined up or images converted so no zip for now: however almost all of the texturing is done. Of course I can still change the look of the maps but the important part is that they coorespond with the UVW templates.
[url=http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/?action=view&current=3-3.jpg][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/TR/th_3-3.jpg[/img][/url]

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Per Lady N's orders on IRC I checked out the mesh. Aside from the obvious missing texture and the inability to gridsnap properly the mesh looked good. :P I didn't notice anything strange with it when looking at it or anything of the sort.

And, dunno if it is intentional or will be fixed later on but right now the mesh looks kinda small for a person to walk on... Just to mention.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

looks great so far, loving the textures. did you happen to check out the sidewalk tiles for the top of the bridge? it looks like it might fit.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!