Old quest reports

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Thank you for this Gez.

I have so far covered one quest fully, and have started (and then been CTD-ed from) one other. These are the two Sadas Plantation misc. quests.

"The Sick Siltstrider"

Pretty much perfect, with one or two very nitpicky things.
  • No directions are provided to Gali, the alchemist. I found him soon enough, but I could easily have got lost.

Gali's quest related topic was "cure potion", wheras I assumed it would have been "Argil". This is very nipicky though.

When giving player the potion Gali refers to Argil as "your siltstrider", wheras previously he had seemed much more familiar, and called him Argil. Also, it's not "your" siltstrider, and if he knows Argil he should know that.

Occasionally there are too many 'spacemarks' in a sentence. (If you want me to find topics etc. that do this, just ask)
Otherwise, perfect, as far as I could see.

"Questions for Alavi Arendus"

In the quest regarding Alvali Arendus, there is an instant massive error followed by CTD upon initialising the quest by clicking "spiritual questions". This is because in the result script it says "addtopic "husband"", not "addtopic "my husband"". Easy to fix. I shall finish report on this quest soon.

EDIT: Done quest properly, again, very few errors, and everything pretty much perfect. Only nitpicking again.
  • More "double spacing" on some dialogue.

No greeting for 'in-quest' players. She just tells the PC to stop bothering the workers.
EDIT: Now done "Sarvanni Courier: Molecrab Shell Delivery"

Again, all good, mainly nitpicky.
  • In the topic "delivery of molecrab shells", both when accepting the quest and delivering the shells, there is a full-stop missing. (Minor grammar error, nothing major)

Once again, no directions are given. This time Llivlo Indalen's shop is the location in question. Lack of directions combined with Gah Ouadaruhn's layout winning several "Mindbogglingly-Hard-to-Navigate" awards, makes that part of the quest extremely complex. :)

I also think that some opportunity for role-playing could be added by letting the PC short-change Gulen, upon delivery of the cash.
EDIT: Have now done The Molecrab Egg Delivery, and don't think there were any errors, save lack of direction and lack of ability to short-change Gulen. (But that's not an error, just something I'd like to see.)
Hope this is useful! :))
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Lack of directions combined with Gah Ouadaruhn's layout winning several "Mindbogglingly-Hard-to-Navigate" awards, makes that part of the quest extremely complex.
I second that. Gah Ouadaruhn is almost as labyrinthine as Boston. And I'm not a huge fan of the whole "going through houses to get from one path to another," thing. Almost makes me wonder if we put the mad Lord in the wrong Telvanni city.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Just done (or started) "Mudlap and Mosslog".
Great idea, several problems.
  • First, the nitpicks: Refers to Alendu Plantation as "Arendu" Plantation.
    More 'double spacing'.
    Mudlap doesn't fully explain why M'Aiq's story "piqued his interest" (i.e to build an army to defeat his rivals in House Telvanni. Very nitpicky, but this dialogue just didn't sound right to me)
    No in-quest greeting

Now, the actual problems: First, it is very easy to accidentally kill the four mudcrabs that he wants. You are given no warning he wants them, and they are aggressive. Perhaps only enable them once you've shown him the Mosslog?

Secondly, the Mosslog isn't good enough for the job, I found. I often needed to use it more than the charge would allow in order to calm the crab down, so I'd either make the crabs passive, or add a "Calm Creature" effect to the log. Also, for the love of all that's holy please put a Fortify Speed effect on it! :P

Also, I found that the crab who I delivered to Mudlap first just started to follow me again when I delivered the others, causing buggy dialogue from Mudlap. Perhaps change his conditions for telling you you've got all the crabs so that it's based on a variable set when all crabs are nearby, not just following him?

EDIT: By forcing the crabs AI to follow Mudlap, it would appear that the script or whatever is broken anyway, as I still get no response. I'm looking into it now.

EDIT: I have looked at the scripts, and all appears to be in order. I shall have another go in-game.

EDIT: The problem is definitely the variable not being set, which is odd. (When I type "show TR_Crabsgathered, it's always 2) Sometimes, upon loading, the crabs follow me again, so perhaps they are resetting because of a load?

Other bugs discovered: crabs don't dissapear when Mudlap leaves once you've got all the crabs.

Sometimes Mudlap doesn't show up outside the council hall.

Also, there is a spawn point near Mudlap that spawns mudcrabs, and the player might not know they can't bring him just any mudcrabs.
Unless it's just mucking up with me, this one looks like it could do with quite a bit of re-doing/scripting.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

All of the mudcrabs within 2-3 cells should be spawned to be scripted mudcrabs to follow Mudlap, so you *can* use any mudcrab, except for those that that are so far away that they'd never follow you all the way to Mudlap. This includes the ones by the lighthouse (so if you kill them they'll come back.) We can't change *all* the mudcrabs, but I figured that the 2-3 cell radius was good enough.
Fortify speed is a good idea. I knew the mudcrabs were painfully slow, but I didn't think of it. And you say you're having trouble with the first mudcrab starting to follow you again?
As you can imagine, the scripting here was a bit messy, but I'll see what I can do about it.
I think I'm going to change it so I have an activator directly under Mudlap (Mudlap won't move; he might wander right now unless I already changed that) and I use a getdistance to trigger the crab's AI. I can use the same getdistance to disable them when Mudlap is disabled. As far as I know I can't just use a getdistance from Mudlap because when he disables there's no longer a distance.
If you have any specific suggestions to the scripting, let me know. If you want to take a crack at it yourself I won't be offended; I can send you the .esp that contains only the Mudlap quest :)
Last edited by groza528 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

groza528 wrote:All of the mudcrabs within 2-3 cells should be spawned to be scripted mudcrabs to follow Mudlap, so you *can* use any mudcrab, except for those that that are so far away that they'd never follow you all the way to Mudlap. This includes the ones by the lighthouse (so if you kill them they'll come back.) We can't change *all* the mudcrabs, but I figured that the 2-3 cell radius was good enough.
There's actually one old spawn-point left on the road right next to Mudlap.
Fortify speed is a good idea. I knew the mudcrabs were painfully slow, but I didn't think of it. And you say you're having trouble with the first mudcrab starting to follow you again?
As you can imagine, the scripting here was a bit messy, but I'll see what I can do about it.
Yeah, he follows whilst getting the other three, on reload the last three follow and none of them set their variables.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

(Edited above post while you responded)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

If you send me that .esp, that would be lovely. I'll see if I can fix anything up for you. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Will send when I get home from work.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Great. I'll move on to other quests for now.

EDIT: "Bal Oyra: Muskflies"

Looking very good, and a nice break from the dialogue based quests I've been doing.

Three minor gripes:
  • Tandreyen Reynos appears to have the Head of Scourge on his wall. Isn't that supposed to be a unique Easter Egg?

You can steal the pot that the musk-stuff is in, resulting in floating musk-stuff and flame. Make pot a static/attach "NoPickup" script, and make it unique

Tandreyen stands too close to the pot so, as far as I could tell, any budding thief would be unable to steal the musk-stuff. (As far as I'm aware, Tandreyen never moves. If he does, then it's no problem)
Overall, a very satisfying quest.

EDIT: "Bal Oyra: A Sweet Deal"

Overall, very few bugs.

One slight problem with the note: I assume you wanted the threat to appear, at any point at which the player dobs the gang in? Under the current script, that doesn't quite work. Here is my revision:

Code: Select all

begin TR_m1_BOnotescript

short DoOnce
short JournalOnce

If ( OnActivate == 1 )
	Activate ; This because I couldn't pick the note up for some reason. ;This, however does not seem to fix that.
If ( JournalOnce == 0 )
	journal TR_m1_BO_SweetDeal 120
Endif
Endif

If ( Player->GetItemCount "TR_m1_Q51_bk_notefromsmugglers" >= 1)
If ( JournalOnce == 0 ) ; This because I couldn't pick the note up for some reason. This however does not seem to fix that.
	journal TR_m1_BO_SweetDeal 120
	set JournalOnce to 1
Endif
endif

if (DoOnce == 2)
	Return
elseif (DoOnce == 0)
	disable
	set DoOnce to 1
endif

if ( GetDeadCount TR_m1_Shabhi >= 1 )
	set TR_m1_BO_SweetDealBetrayed to 1 ; Make sure to create this variable
endif

if (GetJournalIndex TR_m1_BO_SweetDeal == 80)
	if (CellChanged == 1)
		if (GetDeadCount TR_m1_Hradell == 0)
			enable
			TR_m1_Hradell->disable
		endif
		if (GetDeadCount "TR_m1_Ligrod_gro-Muzar" == 0)
			enable
			"TR_m1_Ligrod_gro-Muzar"->disable
		endif
		set DoOnce to 2
	endif
elseif (TR_m1_BO_SweetDealBetrayed == 1)
	if (GetDeadCount TR_m1_Hradell == 0)
		enable
		TR_m1_Hradell->disable
	endif
	if (GetDeadCount "TR_m1_Ligrod_gro-Muzar" == 0)
		enable
		"TR_m1_Ligrod_gro-Muzar"->disable
	endif
	set DoOnce to 2
endif

end TR_m1_BOnotescript
The original script did not work because of you making the last bit return when the Journal > 90. This way, with a global variable set to one, whenever the PC dobs them in with the guard, is slightly more efficient, as it does not rely on possably fluctuating Journal values.

EDIT: Okay, my script still has the picking up bug, which I'd assumed I'd avoided. The second bit now works properly, but as before, I am unable to pick up the note without glitching.
Make sure to remove my comments, as currently it appears they spill over.

Also, guards will continue to respond to the topic "basement", even after they have already dealt with it.

"Basement" in general appears to be totally un-filtered. (I noticed that Rigi'Fasht talks about "basement")

Otherwise, very nice. Only suggestion is, perhaps the guys should only turn up at night, or some other time to suggest it's a "secret meeting"

EDIT: "Bal Oyra: Fast and Furious"

Again, very good with minor bugs.

"Ilnora's Bakery" should be Ilnori's Bakery

The Player can't speak to the Lish, you just get the "who's there?" greeting. Make his quest greeting Greeting 0?

Once you give Lish the pie, Murob instantly knows he's stopped eating again. Perhaps "I suspect he'll stop eating again soon"?
Murob is called "Murob Magar" by the journal, not gra-Magar.

EDIT: Which Witch?

Liking the idea, and comedy factor, but not sure it's starting right.

When I get to the witch 'n' nord pairing, I get forcegreeted by both, which I assume is in the plan. Then, I spoke to witch-girl, who thanked me for calming the nord, even though I'd done nothing. Nord then had some generic greeting for me, as opposed to something quest-related. I could, however, ask him about his axe, and get that part of the quest started.

EDIT: Race Through Aranyon Pass.

Nicely done, almost no bugs.

Only problems: If the player moves at the speed of the Boots of Blinding Speed, then you get the journal for winning, but Rigi does not acknowledge this, resets and restarts quest. Not that this is a necessarily bad thing. Prevents one of the obvious bugs/cheats here.

When you refuse to give Rigi his cash, he gets into "ninja-pose" and screams at you, but doesn't actually attack, letting the player go free.

Also, just so you know, I tried to test a cheat way by circling round the pass, hoping to get to Sarvanni whilst being out of range of his AI. This did not work, so that's another cheat pre-squashed. Lovely. :)

If the player loses, Rigi doesn't reset.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:If the player loses, Rigi doesn't reset.
Please clarify; is that any time the player loses or only after a reload? I thought I had it working after losses, but I anticipated that reloads might pose a problem that I hadn't checked myself yet.
Also, as for basement being unfiltered: Does Rigi (for example) say "What business is it of yours?" or "I don't know what they're doing down there..."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Basement: Rigi (and everybody else) says "I don't know what they're doing..."

Not reseting: After losing, I speak to Rigi, and he asks me to pay him money. If I say yes, all appears to go fine. If I say no, he gets "into ninja stance" then doesn't actually attack. If I say yes, then speak to him again, he says "save your breath for the race", with a goodbye.

He then doesn't reset to the start, regardless of what I do (wait/change cells/change cells and wait)

EDIT: "Tel Ouada: Kill or Be Killed"

Very nice, some bugs (mainly to do with CellChanged)

If you speak to Medenb, then go into the room, and meet the assassin without having left again, Medenb remains in the main hall, as opposed to moving out.

If you tell the assassin that Medenb is at the Mudcrab, then tell Medenb that it is safe to go home, then he is killed. This is rather unfair, as the player probably assumes they have temporarily (at least) got rid of the assassin. I would make it so that the player finds the assassin outside Medenb's house (enable a new one, PositionCell doesn't like exteriors), and he must then kill her. This is more fair on the player. If the player does not intercept the assasin, then kill Medenb.

Thanks to CellChanged bugging up, whenever the PC tells Medenb it's safe (when it is safe), he doesn't return to his home until the player leaves, and then returns into his friends house.

If the PC does nothing, or just doesn't bother to sleep in the bed, or accidentally waits in the room, and doesn't sleep, then there is not a penalty. This makes no sense because Medenb says the attack will be tonight. Maybe he should say "in the near future", or something to that effect.

When speaking to Medenb's friend (when the PC has betrayed Medenb)he seems entirely casual about the dead body of his friend. Perhaps a more angry greeting is needed? Also, as an Agent, couldn't he have dealt with the assassin? Seeing as both he and Medenb would have been awake, it doesn't make too much sense. Either kill them both (to show how good the Assassin was), or make him a commoner or something.

Make the Hello distance of the Assassin 0. It is really annoying to hear her say "what can I do for you friend" after she's just threatened to kill someone.

EDIT: Ninari Dorvayn's Secret

All appears to be in order.

One minor dialogue gripe: Ninari says (about being a cattle) "They'll come and take me back! And I don't think I can go back." Sounds as if it's a job where someone's been mean to her, not a place where she's been brutally tortured for years.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

On globals: There is no reason to use a global for what you want to do in the Sweetroll quest. It's being used in a deadcount, which are accessible from dialog filter options and in any script executed anywhere in the world. No additional info can be gleaned in any situation by setting a global for a death.

On books and the OnActivate function: It fails. Check MWSD it has a proper workaround (I think it sets OnPCEquip to 1 instead of OnActivate, but this is definitely detailed in MWSD, and an entire example script that can be taken verbatim from there). EDIT: pg 143 has what you need to make this work.

On Position functions: PositionCell is the wrong function for exteriors (it works for interiors). Use the Position function (which is the proper one for exteriors).

A note on the CellChanged function: It does not get set to 1 when the player is moved into a cell via scripting, so fails. Also never diable an NPC infront of the PC's eyes (unless covered by a partical effect or something else clever), I have a script somewhere that only causes them to vanish when the PC isn't facing them and plays a mysticism spell sound. CellChanged was used to insure the NPC only vanishes when the player isn't looking. Here you can disable Meneb from diaglog results when the PC is talking to the assassin.

The not resetting bug after losing: This can be caused by two reasons, 1.) the NPC is being given AI orders every frame (fixed by setting a DoOnce) or 2.) The NPC is given two AI chages at the same time (this is a bit random, and can usually be fixed by sticking in a half second timer before executing the StartCombat command (alternatively if they are just supposed to fight the PC, use the SetFight function). I encountered 2.) in Hunting an Ogrim and solved it with a brief timer (Brendu would freeze up when oredered to attack the Ogrim on the same turn he saw it and terminated his AIFollow script).

Haven't thought about the other stuff.

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Sweetroll quest? Is that one of mine? It doesn't sound familiar.
Disabling Medenb shouldn't be an issue because the master bedroom is actually a different cell. The problem is he's only set to teleport on CellChanged and when the journal is *equal* to 10. Therefore, I can leave the cell to go to his bedroom while the journal is equal to 10, but that doesn't teleport him because his script isn't running when I leave the room. If I come back into the main house, he's gone, but if I just stay in the bedroom and confront the assassin straight off, the journal is no longer 10 when I go back into the house proper and Medenb doesn't teleport.
Last edited by groza528 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Starcrunch wrote:On globals: There is no reason to use a global for what you want to do in the Sweetroll quest. It's being used in a deadcount, which are accessible from dialog filter options and in any script executed anywhere in the world. No additional info can be gleaned in any situation by setting a global for a death.
That variable is also set by dobbing the smugglers in to the guards (This simplified the previous method, where only on certain journal indexes was the gang considered "betrayed". This way is much cleaner) I suppose I could use deadcount, but that might screw up other stuff in my new script. And anyway, I have a thing for globals in quests. :P One of my weird habits.
On books and the OnActivate function: It fails. Check MWSD it has a proper workaround (I think it sets OnPCEquip to 1 instead of OnActivate, but this is definitely detailed in MWSD, and an entire example script that can be taken verbatim from there).
That's useful to know. I think that may have been what screwed up groza's original script, and my revamp.
On Position functions: PositionCell is the wrong function for exteriors (it works for interiors). Use the Position function (which is the proper one for exteriors).
Which quest are you talking about now? Do you mean Groza should Position the Assassin, not enable a duplicate?
A note on the CellChanged function: It does not get set to 1 when the player is moved into a cell via scripting, so fails. Also never diable an NPC infront of the PC's eyes (unless covered by a partical effect or something else clever), I have a script somewhere that only causes them to vanish when the PC isn't facing them and plays a mysticism spell sound. CellChanged was used to insure the NPC only vanishes when the player isn't looking. Here you can disable Meneb from diaglog results when the PC is talking to the assassin.
That makes sense, but I think Groza said he had this one handled now. Check with him. (The bug I experienced is that CellChanged was not being set for the PC leaving the cell via a door, only by them entering it. Have a look at the quest in the latest quest-map version. You should see what I mean)
The not resetting bug after losing: This can be caused by two reasons, 1.) the NPC is being given AI orders every frame (fixed by setting a DoOnce) or 2.) The NPC is given two AI chages at the same time (this is a bit random, and can usually be fixed by sticking in a half second timer before executing the StartCombat command (alternatively if they are just supposed to fight the PC, use the SetFight function). I encountered 2.) in Hunting an Ogrim and solved it with a brief timer (Brendu would freeze up when oredered to attack the Ogrim on the same turn he saw it and terminated his AIFollow script).

Haven't thought about the other stuff.

-Starcrunch
Haven't done hunting an Ogrim, and I haven't looked at Rigi's script myself. Again, you'll have to tell Groza.

Oh, and @ Groza, he means "A Sweet Deal"
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

If you betray someone in a quest set a journal entry. Use of globals is strictly controlled in TR and is not absolutely needed here.

Sweet roll == Sweet Deal, sorry wrong name.
Which quest are you talking about now? Do you mean Groza should Position the Assassin, not enable a duplicate?
I was providing edification on what function to use to make NPC's cahnge locations in exteriors; use Position instead of PostionCell; there is no need of creating duplicates. I've actually done it both ways before and it's not really a big deal, but the Position function is quite handy.
That makes sense, but I think Groza said he had this one handled now. Check with him. (The bug I experienced is that CellChanged was not being set for the PC leaving the cell via a door, only by them entering it. Have a look at the quest in the latest quest-map version. You should see what I mean)

I was only providing edification on bugs with the CellChanged function (in the old days a IL quest was declared bugged in part due to the tester using COC commands to get around rather than teleporting and/or walking). Groza is capable of fixing this I'm certain :P . Now, I'm providing some more details: CellChanged never triggers when leaving a cell, the function returns true only when the PC *enters* a cell. This can be looked at as a bug, but it's basically along the lines of a detail in how it works. COC, PositionCell, and Postion functions fail to return true even when the PC enters a cell using them, IIRC, and these are bugs.

Hunting an Ogrim is a PT misc. quest that has not been merged, it will be in the next release.

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Starcrunch wrote:If you betray someone in a quest set a journal entry. Use of globals is strictly controlled in TR and is not absolutely needed here.
Oh, right. I was unaware of this, so used a global as a work-around. The problem was that this is one of those quests where the journal can be frequently fluctuating, and thus the global (I'll always know whether they've been betrayed with just one check)

Anyway, moving on, I have just done "Tel Ouada: Running into Trouble", and found a few bugs.

Problem 1: Female slave (the alive one) is very hard to reach, because of her positioning. Some re-adjustment would probably help.

Problem 2: At any point after having started the quest, if the player talks to Nifum (quest-giver) about "runaway slaves", they are essentially told what has happened, as they have three options: "[Lie] The slaves are both dead". "One slave is dead and I took the other to Firewatch" and "I haven't found them yet". The use of [Lie] makes it clear what has actually happened, even if the player hasn't even left the hut after receiving the quest.

Problem 3: Upon return to Orelu Plantation, Mee-Sei just says "what is it" or some other generic greeting, as opposed to something related to her return to slavery. Then when you talk about escaped slaves, she asks you to travel with her (she should have stopped asking, and should probably be very bitter/angry), and when you click "travel together", she just says "thanks for helping me escape the Daedra", not "why did you bring me back to slavery, you swine", or something to that effect.

The same problem occurs on bringing her to the Argonian Mission. She does not acknowledge this in her dialogue, just gives a generic Firewatch greeting, and promptly dissapears. Very disorientating.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Right, I have now completed all the quests in the current quest beta, and my final reports on the last three are here.

"Gah Sadrith: Telvanni Manners"

Fairly simple, but only very nitpicky things to point out. (Groza tells me that English is not the native language of the Gah Sadrith quester, so all these languagey errors (which are the majority of what I've got to report here) are excusable, but need fixing)

Firstly, the journal entries call Belas a man, and secondly dialogue and journal entries in general could do with some grammar check ups etc.

"Gah Sadrith: The Perfect Sword"

Again, very simple, but also mind-bogglingly hard aswell. Perhaps it's intentional, which is fair, but surely some hint as to where the sword might be is only fair? I had absolutely no idea as to where it would be without checking the CS. It could have been anywhere on map 1! Perhaps savants could say "I have heard of such a sword", or something, and say that it was lost when the warrior Roderick was drowned on a boat voyage etc., just so the player knows to look in shipwrecks.

Again, some grammar checking required.

"Gah Sadrith: Riddles"

Nothing too bad here, again very simple.

Once more, grammar checking needed.

Also, just one general 'complaint' is that there are two very 'flippant' journal entries, one where the player says "But what the hell!", and another where the player says "Eldale will consider me mentally retarded forever."

Both of these need to be reworded in my opinion, but that's very picky.

EDIT: Oh yes, and for those who actually get the job of fixing this stuff (the modders themselves, or someone else?), do you want these reports put in some more 'easy to access' form?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Firstly, the journal entries call Belas a man, and secondly dialogue and journal entries in general could do with some grammar check ups etc.
I also noticed this. I think other dialogue entries also call Belas a man, and it sounds like a male name to me. I suggest we change the gender of Belas rather than changing all the dialgoue.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Thank you for your review. The language and genders of NPC's are truly my problem (I cannot tell by names only and not even by models, especially when the NPC has robe. And sometimes I simply assume gender without checking it in NPC window). But fortunately this is the most easy thing to fix.
The clue as where the sword can be found will be revealed as a reward for the last of GS quests - Lost Fiancee. Mjording, the barbarian tells about his encounter with Roderick on the ship, which went from Old Ebonheart to Port Telvannis, but was rumoured to wreck near Sadas Plantation. He also reveals the location of the chest (in the cabin) and the key (somewhere near Roderick's corpse) From this it should be fairly simple to conclude where to look for.
This quest is fairly complex and testing it will require some skill. Please use the version attached to the post and not the one at the top of the thread. Thank you.
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ah. Having the clue as another quest reward is very nice way of doing things. I like that, but does Mjording make it clear that this sword could be Anirwen's "perfect sword"? That would be nice.

I assume the downloads you speak of are in your Claim thread, yes?

Thanks for your help, Theo!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

If Mjording told you literary this might be the perfect sword, Ilwen is looking for, your participation in searching for it would be quite limited. But why not... It is already enough that you connect these two quests.
So perhaps yes... Perhaps Mjording could have topic 'perfect sword' as well and when you asked him after speaking to Ilwen first he would tell you:
"I know of such sword, if you are brave enough to pick it up, I will tell you where it is, once you prove your worth and save Melie."
(Other GS NPCs could give you some partial info as well...)
Then instead of rewarding you as it is now he would ask you:
"As a reward for you I can either: (Give you some treasure, train your skills, tell my influential friend about you, or whatever you wish - something worth the big troubles) or I can reveal a location of a 'perfect sword' to you."
(This could be independent on your stage in perfect sword quest).
Now I have realized this reward dialogue will have to be moved from Greeting 5 to Greeting 1 anyway, because if you undressed or stolen something before speaking to Mjording after saving Melie, you wold get different Greeting from him and then some illogical dialogue replies instead of reward. So please do this fix in the quest and you have the permission to come with your own selection of rewards and additional info for the perfect sword quest (just make sure the dialogue topic is disabled at most NPCs once the quest is finished as it is annoying how the topics of some quests remain at all NPCs after their completion).

Yes, for downloads check my claim q1-52 thread. But I am sure you already did.
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Well, I'll only start tinkering with your quests if you want me to.

Currently, I'm just reporting the bugs I have found in the versions of your quests availiable in the quest beta. I am only suggesting these fixes, after all, I'm not demanding that I be allowed to fix them.

If you want, I'll fix up your quests for you, but it's not necessary.

As for the Greeting 1/5 issue, it's standard quest protocol to put all greetings in 5, for the reasons you stated. (To get those filters, as it would be strange otherwise)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Greetings1 is used for quest greetings that are not to be interrupted by crime, disease, vampirism, nudity, ect. In general forcedgreetings should appear here; as well as anything that triggers an event in the quest.

Greetings5 is used for any random greeting related to a quest (like those used while the PC is on the quest to prompt the proper dialog topics when talking to the quest giver).

-Starcrunch
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

So... How is it going with the "lost fiancee"? Some comments, impressions, critics etc.?
THEO
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Regarding the comment that there are "too many spacemarks," I believe this is due to my having been taught to doublespace between sentences. As this is not the way Bethesda did it, I'll try to change it.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

groza528 wrote:Regarding the comment that there are "too many spacemarks," I believe this is due to my having been taught to doublespace between sentences. As this is not the way Bethesda did it, I'll try to change it.
It's a question of style. Bethesda didn't follow that style probably because there's a 255 character limit for dialogues.

Note that it's completely useless to do doublespaces in posts on a forum, as HTML ignores all non-necessary spaces and shrinks them all up as just one. (Pure HTML also turns linebreaks into spaces, but that's bypassed by forum software which turn linebreaks into <BR> markers. Otherwise, making clean paragraph breaks would be quite annoying.)
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Note that in game it creates trouble if you use double spaces. If a full stop is followed by two spaces and the text happens to go to the next line it still applies an extra space before starting the next sentence, causing a small indention that looks very annoying. Easiest way to solve this problem is to just export the dialog and do a search/replace for double spaces with single spaces and then import the corrected dialog. All fields in dialog that is exported are separated by Tabs; be sure not to remove any of these (they won't appear in you search for double spaces if you're wondering).

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Theo wrote:So... How is it going with the "lost fiancee"? Some comments, impressions, critics etc.?
Somebody (can't remember who) suggested I only test those quests that are in the current merged version. When it gets merged, I'll be there. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Ok, my first reports and miscellaneous impressions about the WIP sidequests of Map 1. Yay!

I will start from Bal Oyra,which seems pretty handy to me; i have only tested one quest right now, reports for the others will be posted later and as soon as possible.

"Fast and Furious" - Quest giver: Murob gra - Magar

- Nothing uber found: greetings and journal entries are ok, NPCs are ok; so i only would to point out these things...

* Why i can't refuse to accept the quest? By clicking on Murob gra - Magar's "hunger strike" topic i soon get the first journal entry and no chances to reply that i'm not interested in the quest (like as far as i remember often happens in vanilla Morrowind);

* Murob gra - Magar is always simply called just "Murob Magar" in the journal: isn't better to always call she with her complete name?

* There is only one way to complete the quest; talking with Lish gro - Garrok i can solve the quest only lying to him; otherwise, persuasion will not work at all, no matter if he has 100 of disposition, too.

* Reward is pretty nice, but maybe some players couldn't like it very much (especially who isn't interested in join the Imperial Legion, methink): note that i'm not asking for uber stuff, but why not another kind of present?
But that is just a though.

And... How can i get the other two quests in Bal Oyra? Looking in the CS i saw another one involving some muskflies, but had not the time to figure out how to get it, and the other one.
Last edited by osiris on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

To start the muskfly quest you have to be at least level 10. If you're anything like me you started a new character to test quests, so you probably aren't at level 10 yet :)

1. Open the console by pressing the ` key (the one in the upper left corner, not the apostrophe)
2. Type "player->setlevel 10"
3. Close the console by pressing the ` key again
4. Leave the Bal Oyra streets, and then re-enter them.

The other Bal Oyra quest will be triggered randomly by asking about "Latest Rumors"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

osiris wrote: * Murob gra - Magar is always simply called just "Murob Magar" in the journal: isn't better to always call him with his complete name?
If Murob is a he, then his name should be Murob gro-Magar. But I haven't played the quests.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Thanks a lot Groza; effectively, i'm testing with a level 1 character; and since i haven't the time to grow up so much... the console is useful indeed now. ;)
Andres: you're right, Murob is a lady (my mistake); i will have a look at the name, too.

*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

There are a few other quests that have prerequisites. Someone add to this list if you know of any others.
"Questions for Athenim Adri" in Sadas Plantation can only be initiated if you have a high disposition with Alavi Arendus, OR if you are a member of the Tribunal Temple (Vv or Mainland; doesn't matter)
"Highway Robbery" in Firewatch can only be started by players that are level 12 or above (you can be told about the problem, but effectively you just get told that you're not strong enough to do anything) Also note that when the Marrowmoth Legion comes to help you out in combat, the quantity of helpers depends on your level (the stronger you are, the less help you get.) edit: actually I don't think the Firewatch quests have been merged yet
"Running into Trouble" in Tel Ouada (actually one of the nearby plantations) is also initiated through latest rumors.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

My misc. quests with prerequisites (these aren't yet merged but will be soon):
  • Hunting an Ogrim (PT): level 10
  • Murder and Intrigue (PT): Part 1 is available to all; Part 2 and 3 require the PC be in the tr_telvanni faction.
  • Killing the Messenger (Wilderness): level 12; Part 1 is available to all; Part 2 and 3 are available to members of tr_telvanni *or* tr_MagesGuild (it is different depending on which faction the PC helps and is part of; telvanni side of part 2 and 3 is obscure if the PC has less than rank 3 in tr_telvanni *or* a reputation less than 7)
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Thanks to everyone for the useful informations; i will take care of them while testing the remaining quests.

For the moment...

Muskflies in Bal Oyra

As far as i can see, it works good for me; journal is ok, reward is good. Except for a pair of things:

*Topic "something in the air" seems looping in Tibera Rone's dialogue, even after the quest is beated;

* Response "They just started showing up recently. Tibera Rone is offering a pretty efty reward to anyone who can get rid of them to dialogue topic "Muskflies" seems looping in Bal Oyra's NPCs even after the quest is beated.

A though: again, there's only one way to beat the quest; why not a chance to complete it without killing Tandreyn Reyas (sp?)? Maybe that would be useful for 'peaceful' PCs.

Maybe someone has already pointed out about this; i'm posting hoping that the folks here will find that useful.

*sarcastic*
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

As far as I remember, there are multiple ways finishing that quest. I'm currently compiling a document of all plotlines and I'll make that available to testers as soon as it's ready.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Ok Ludovic, i will wait for this document: it really may be very helpful to me.

Now, let's keep on reviewing these quests. I will not PM to Groza every single issue now, as i think that share stuff with the rest of the forum could be more useful; :) also, the following quest has already been tested by Crustacean (thanks for such a good review!), but i would to point out something i noticed as well.

Again Bal Oyra...

"A Sweet Deal"

Probably the best quest for that city: multiple ways to finish it, that's very good; Shabhi and Ligrod gro - muzar have excellent dialogues ("Do you think that is a game, %PCName? Hurry Up!).

But i have found some bugs, or even some things that should be improved in my opinion;

bugs:

* I can't pick up TR_m1_Q51_bk_notefromsmugglers; when i try to pick it up, the game freezes;

* When i select the scroll, the messagebox "Jour Journal has been updated" goes to an infinite loop and keep on popping up everytime i reselect the scroll; though the journal will be update just one time as usual;

* On choosing "to keep the mouth shut", the topic "Basement" will go to an infinite loop, of course with every Imperial Legion member in the town and not just the guard in the Census and Excise Office;

* The topic "Basement seems shared by every other NPC in Map 1, pretty much everywhere...

* This is not related to the quest, but Harminia Flavius' and Gilara Renus' AI and pathgrids should be checked: if attacked, Gilara Renus often stucks into walls; Harminia Flavius seems don't care if the PC is slashing the other actors.

I agree with Crustacean's reports on other things.

Things to improve:

* I would compare the various rewards that i can get in this quests with the ones of the vanilla game, to check if they could be a bit unbalancing, or maybe sometimes a bit poor (like the 100 gp that you get if you choose "to keep the mouth shut").

* Revealing the smuggling to the guards, the journal entry that i get will not give me hints about what do do.

* It's possible to end the quest with a fast fight with the smugglers, too. Isn't that too easy?

- EDIT

Let's go ahead with the quests in Tel Ouada...

"Running into Trouble" (Orelu Plantation)

A nice (and pretty difficult) escort quest. I still haven't finished it because i'm still looking for the two Argonians in Firewatch, but here's a first report:

* There isn't any new topic about "Nifum";

* The spot where i have found Mee - Sei looks fixable to me: it's really hard to find her without levitation or tcl; she seems stuck into some rocks, too;

* Mee - Sei's dialogue will always start with the greeting "Please help me. I'm one of the runaway slaves from Orelu Plantation", even if the PC is already escort her; that should be fixed, by replacing that with a different greeting or with the usual "Travel together" topic (though a brand new greeting sounds better to me);

* Mee - Sei's follow script should be fixed, she has a tendency to loose her path;

* No hints about where to find the two argonians in Firewatch... Though i have found them in the Argonian Mission, now. ;)

* This is the only major bug in the quest: Mee - Sei vanishes when the PC enters in the the Argonian Mission!

- EDIT

"Kill or Be Killed" Quest giver: Medenb Khifzah

It's a small nice quest, but it doesn't work.

Actually the only bug - free choice is the first, to tell the truth to the Morag - Tong assassin (though Varanyt Suavyn hasn't any new topic on Medenb; it won't reveal me any new secret, though).

Otherwise...

* If i tell to the assassin that Medenb is at the Magic Mudcrab... He will stay at his manor, not with Varanyt Suavyn;

* If i decide to kill the assassin, again Medenb will remain at his manor; and he will not reward me nor i will get any new journal entry.

... Is this quest supposed to meet a Morag Tong quest later in some ways?

*sarcastic*
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I have tested the version of "Lost fiancee" quest I made (Gah Sadrith) and found these errors:

- The dialogue topics in greeting 5: "I WILL BE PART OF LOCAL QUEST..." May be finally removed. (And should be).
- Some of the greetings 5,1 and 7 are at the bottom of the list due to previous merge. Perhaps it could cause some collision with less important greetings. I am not sure.
- Starcrunch remade Llernele Yantus home, but in this version of map 1 it is not linked to exterior, which is bad as you need to go there as a part of the quest. Also Tel Darys is not linked properly, but this is just a side note as it has to do nothing with this quest.
- I have changed the outcome of the reward. When you finish the quest, Mjording now tells you only the first part of the rewarding dialogue and offers you to tell you of the 'perfect sword'. That topic already exists, because of the linked quest. If you click it, he tells you the whole story.
If you click it once more (Journal 110) he summarizes the plot and tells you the location more directly. If you click if before (Journal <100) He tells you that he perhaps knows about such sword, but will tell you only after you help him to save Melie.
His greeting 5 for Journal 110 stays the same.
This way it is: A) more elegant B) You get your reward even if you are sick or naked C) connects the quest to "perfect sword" quest in more obvious way.
- The biggest problem is the Yashazmus. The entrance I made was deleted by Ludovic and he just removed the obstacles from the old stairs, but because of their rotation it is impossible to climb them. The another entrance is accesible only through levitation. I do not know if this is an error or if Yashazmus was meant to be accesible by mages only, but it sucks. There should be at least one proper entrance there so that you could enter it without levitation or acrobatics at 100 and so that some NPC could follow you in there.
- Also the forcefield inside was meant to keep player INSIDE the ruin until he finishes the quest (so that he does not lead his companions outside) - not to keep him OUTSIDE. That is why the doormarker was placed BEHIND it, not IN FRONT OF it.
It also disabled levitation and teleport, however now I realized player could enter through the second entrance and leave again so it would cause great mess (my fault, I didn't realize there is another entrance).
I suggest moving this field to the Shrine level (with only one entrance) and putting Eranil and Arelis in there. This way you cannot lead them out of there or leave until you do your business.
(The doormarker must be placed BEHIND the wall.)

Also I don't understand why some of my outlaws were turned into peaceful lads, who just stand in the middle of the wilderness and do nothing (there have been other chaps like that on map 1 - but perhaps they have some other purpose for being there, maybe some quest).
OK, not every outlaw has to draw his weapon immediately and charge you, or say some essential wisdoms, but for example Gra-Ghosh the skullkeeper, who stands in the pass surrounded by skulls of its victims on pikes just stands there and has quite dull conversation with you if you approach her.
I would like to consult this with somebody responsible for map 1 encounters and tell him what I originally thought these NPC's are and what are they doing there. I would also volunteer to add more outlaws (mainly rogue Telvanni) to map 1 if somebody is interested.

I have made all these fixes to map 1 and am willing to upload it if somebody cares...
THEO
xeth-ban
Developer

Post by xeth-ban »

Well, i have finished testing one of the quests now, quite a fun one to.

Race Through Aranyon Pass

1.When the race is over, and you lost, and if you either refuse to pay Ri'gi or do not have the money to pay him, he is supposed to attack you, right?.

Well he refuse to attack, he goes into combat mode for about a second after dialog is ended, going into hand to hand mode and everything, but after that he just stands there.

He wouldn't even attack me if i attacked him, and i got a bounty for doing so.

2.Ri'gi stops to soon, instead of stopping were you get the you won/lost journal entry, he stops close to the end of the pass, though it still counts as if he won.

3.There are three points through the pass where Ri'gi seems a bit confused, he runs a quick circle in these points and then continues on. It does not have a very large effect but it looks a bit silly.

4.Though i have noticed that you have removed most of the undead beasts there since my last visit, there is still a ghost in there. I really don't think there should be any enemies there during the race, as it affects you and not Ri'gi.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I've scripted the undead in Aranyon Pass to disappear during the day, but I didn't test the script before this upload, so I'm not sure how well it works.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson