q1-77-Tel

Moderator: Lead Developers

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

@Hemitheon - Even so, I'm terrible at things like writing gibberish that looks like a real language. If you're willing, I'd like it if you threw together some questions, nonsensical or otherwise, since you have something of a knack for concocting Dunmeri languages. That is, assuming you have some spare time amid this ethereal "real life" you've moved on to. :-P

The main reason for my posting, though, is that I've reached a minor milestone in my rebuild: I have at long last created the esp in which I will build the quest proper. ATM it contains nothing but the journal entries, but I'll be cutting and pasting my test files and parts of my first build into it over the coming days.

No big deal; I just thought I'd let everybody know.

EDIT: Page 7? Really? I have got to have one of the worst talk to work ratios of any of the currently active modders. Honestly...
Q1-77-Tel current progress:
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=266462#266462]Journals 100% done.[/url]
Practical implementation is now underway.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That's fine Faalen, that just means that you're making sure to get plenty of quality feedback from the team, which is always a good thing :-)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I'll get you a dialogue for HM and player by this evening. Good thing work has been slow lately.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

[Player: [Question 1]

Ilua-these tureyn haggah |hilús-nirena |aplír-nesos-has-anasos hena-a’úrua?

Hermaeus: [Answer 1]

Kal-Haggah-Aplirienna gal-has-a. Joro asel-a, lesa-gal-has. Chiám gal-has-tu aggá-gal-has-a.

Player: [Question 2]

Siva chiám gal-has-tu joro kal-haggah-Aplirenna gal-has-a?

Hermaeus: [Answer 2]

Hethoro has-sah Orotheh. Galan-haggah-mahardh-gal-has-a meru nireni gal-has-a. Hilús gal-has-tu |ba’ána-mahardha |ba’ána-sulan meru hagan. Airus-elesu-Nirnen ozyas-Aplirienna, meli-dojoa |chap’than |almas. Airus-the ka’rat balasi has a’ash-the Aos.

Player: [Question 3]

Siva galhás aplirien-onkh?

Hermaeus: [Answer 3]

Airus-arama-Dunmeri n’wah, alits orohu’ys, salathri |molós |sukhás-urus hena Lorkhan. Airus-gigal hinath meru Aramath has Hilusa. Galhás nirena-onkh, airŷs Lorkhan, múth |sulan |cardhas meru isegal-gah. Susulan-the nirena-onkh gi-cardhas-meleti has galhasati sa’i galhas-meleti. Shorath meru Mele-Drala has serputh hir hosolai.
Last edited by Hemitheon on Sun May 03, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

So am I getting an okay on this?

Here's a translated bit:

"Airus-arama-Dunmeri n’wah, alits orohu’ys, salathri |molós |sukhás-urus hena Lorkhan."

The Dunmer gods are n'wah, diseased alits, parasites devouring and sucking the lifeforce of Lorkhan.

I don't want to have to tell you all of what it means cuz it'll be a hilarous easter egg, especially Question 1.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Yeah, this is probably good to go.

If you could, perhaps cut it down a bit - the challenge of the quest is for the player to recite both the questions and the answers from memory, so try and make that at least plausibly possible.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I've cut it down.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Beautiful.

Now, if only we could have a voice actor to play Hermaeus Mora...
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Of course, if it's voice-acted, the player is going to have a hell of a time picking the right text when reporting to Dral. I realize the text could be put in message boxes during the speech, but messages move hella fast compared with a static dialogue window.

Thanks for writing those, Hemi. I may need some help in the near future with a couple of more literary aspects of this quest, but I'll ask for that when I've got more details hammered down.

Also, BC, do we have even a ballpark on the DoM? Not that it affects anything too terribly much; I'm just curious.
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=266462#266462]Journals 100% done.[/url]
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

you want me to do a phonetic version? In general, pronunciation is very Hebrew.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Well, the player will have to choose between options, so as long as we keep distinctive key-words, the subtitles should be enough.

DoM is as soon as someone wraps up MowSkowz's fixes, and all currently WIP Map 2 claims are finished. Then the merge can be done. So soon.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I've been doing some work in my test files, and I'm pulling my hair out over a bug that I encountered on my first build and am as yet unable to solve. I believe I may have mentioned it to MowSkwoz at some point, but I've bothered him with so many glitches that I can't remember. Anyway, here we go:

If the player doesn't take the treatise the Hermaeans want on their first visit to the Archives, they wind up having to go do a favor for a Telvanni wizard who will let them read it and then immediately take it back. The problem is, I can't get the game to unpause after the book is force-equipped. It's no problem to give the player the book and make them read it, but as soon as the "close" button is clicked, the book vanishes and the screen stays frozen. Right-clicking restarts the action and the NPC forcegreets and takes back the book as he should. Obviously this is no good for a published quest, so I'd like it if somebody could help me out with this (*cough*MowSkwoz*cough*). I'm not going to post my script here because I honestly don't think it can be debugged. I'd rather someone besides me came up with an entirely different approach; I kind of have blinders on and can only see the initial solution I thought of, which doesn't work.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Damn, I remember that. Did we not find a solution in the end?

Yeah, post it up. I'm pretty busy right now, but might get a chance to look at it tomorrow.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Unfortunately we didn't. Between us, we came up with 4 or 5 scripts that all work perfectly in theory, but don't execute in game. It's always either the freezing issue or the NPC failing to forcegreet.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I believe it is similar (hardcoded)-bug that plagued our spellbook scripts. Perhaps you should check them out for guide to solution.
THEO
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I've got a workaround. Instead of tediously writing it all out, I've just attached the file I used to test it. This way you can see what it looks like in game quickly too - just AddTopic "Test Book" and speak to any NPC (I know, I didn't filter, it feels wrong...).

Hope it's of some use.
Attachments
TR_Book_MowSkwoz.ESP
Test file.
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Beautiful! See, that's why I wanted someone to take a fresh stab at it; I never would have thought to open the book with the dialogue window still open.

Out of curiosity (I haven't looked at the script yet), is there a condition that only allows the book to open the first time through the topic? Or is it a bizarre and random glitch like so many others we've uncovered? Either way, it's no problem since this book only needs to be opened once.

Thanks, Skwoz. You're a life-saver (or a mod-saver, anyway).
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Yes, there's a DoOnce variable. I didn't add further dialogue, since it was just for testing purposes - I assumed there would be a journal entry or something you could filter for. If not, you can always use controlQ on the NPC.

Glad it helped :)
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Is the Esurio Viridis exclusively for q1-76 or would I be allowed to dot them around the pocket realm? I think it might add some cool/creepy atmosphere to have breathing plants in the shadows. It would also be cool (IMO) when the player encountered them in two places, like "Oh, I see, Faruna's plants are from Oblivion."

Then again, maybe that would be completely inappropriate for both the realm and the logic of Faruna's quest. I really don't know. Opinions?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Esurio Viridis comes from the Argon Jungle IIRC.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yeah. Don't put any in here.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey Faalen this needs an update.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Right, but there's nothing to post. The HoQ has put this claim on hold until after Maps 1 & 2 are merged. Until then, I don't have a master file to work with. I do have a couple of script-testing trial-and-error files I could let people check out, but there's not much to see. This is well enough laid out that implementation will go very quickly once the master file is available, but until then, nada.

If something has changed with the department's plans, I am not aware of it.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

This remains the case, yes. I'm pretty sure the merging can proceed very soon. Various people have wanted to add tweaks to the Map files that Haplo and MowSkwoz worked out, but they should be able to finish up sooner than later. And I'd prefer if they did.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I see that the merged map is up, so this post is to announce that Q1-77-Tel is rolling once more. Huzzah.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Just posting a backup of my WIP file so I have an external copy in the unlikely event of horrible computer trauma unknown. It's nothing worth reviewing or testing at this point. I'll periodically replace this file with a new backup, but I'll make a new post when it's actually something that needs looking at.

In other words, nothing to see here folks. Move along.

EDIT: File moved further down the page for easier viewing.
Last edited by Faalen on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Thanks for the update anyway, Faalen. :)

I really look forwards to seeing this quest completed! Keep up the good work!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This needs an update ASAP.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Hap, the last file was uploaded on the 13th August (check the edits in the post above).

For reasons of his own devising, Faalen has decided to befuddle you by not making a new post unless there's something ready for or requiring a playtest. Do you want him to start making update posts regardless?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

BC is quite correct. I have not made progress since that last update due to this being a hectic time of year, but I'll get back on top of it shortly.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hmm, quite befuddling. I'm just used to the scheme of "here's a new post outlining what I have done since my last post, (and a new file every now and then)"

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Since it's been nearly a month since I last updated that befuddling file, here's a preemptive update post to say that I have done extremely little on this for a few weeks. School is back in full swing and free time is limited.

On the plus side, this build has wound up being much more streamlined than the last. I'll let you know when it needs testing.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Cheers for the update. Hope things calm down in RL a bit.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

The weeks continue to flow by, and progress continues to be intermittent and minor. New file below, still not worth playing. Sorry this is taking so long, but even at this rate I'll be done before Lud posts another update. :-P

EDIT: File updated at date of last edit.
Attachments
Q1-77-Tel.ESP
(75.23 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Last edited by Faalen on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Faalen wrote:even at this rate I'll be done before Lud posts another update. :-P
Great, that should be soon then.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This needs an update soon. (Three days)

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Implemented up to transport to the pocket realm (where I got on my last build). This time around plays nearly identically to the last one, but is much more streamlined and efficiently produced. I'm not at my modding computer for the next couple of days (huzzah Thanksgiving and relatives I hate) but I'll post the file when I get home Saturday. I'm sincerely sorry that this is dragging out into a Q56ish kind of production, but it really is all I can do to make the slow progress I'm making.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

you are a year and a half short of q1-56 level progress, we appreciate the substantive updates.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This needs an update within the week or it gets the REVOKE stamp. Faalen hasn't been on in a while.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Revoked