q1-77-Tel

Moderator: Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Yeah, this is Dral's quest, making it "TR_m1_HT_Dr"
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

If somebody would please take a look at the posted file and give me some feedback it'd be great. There's very little there; it could easily be tested in under twenty minutes. I'm looking for criticism on characterization more than function (though I'm sure there's a bit to be said about both). I want the dialogue I'm writing to mesh well with what's around it, and that's a decision better made by someone other than the author. I'd also rather have an idea of where this should be going before I get a huge amount done and have to go back through and change it. See my post at the bottom of the previous page for playing instructions.

Thanks!
Q1-77-Tel current progress:
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=266462#266462]Journals 100% done.[/url]
Practical implementation is now underway.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I played it through, and everything seemed fine to me. I don't really think you would be in need of feedback at this stage yet.

I have 4 small comments;
-When the boss of the RR Temple talks about the Hermaeans I think, he mentions 'as are all who worship Daedra Lords'[they are prosecuted by the Temple]. I'm not sure if that statement is exactly true. The Morag Tong worship Mephala, but are not prosecuted by the Temple for example.
-You talk about 'Erushara Ancestral Tomb' instead of 'The Erushara....'. Most likely I am wrong about this one.
-The last journal update you get starts with 'Hopefully,'. I don't recall ever reading a Journal Entry in wich the PC 'hopes' something will happen. Maybe use the word 'should' instead. Again, I'm probably wrong about this one as well.
-Why can't I loot the vampire corpses?

Basically your dialogue is good as far as I'm concerned.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

You should be able to loot the vampire corpses. If you can't, that's a bug in their script that I'll have to work out. You're right that there's really not enough for feedback at this point; I just get antsy and want to know what people think about my work. Thanks for humoring me and running it through quickly. :-)

My plan is to have another WIP posted on or before the 20th of August, because after that date I'll be moving away to school and won't be making any progress for at least a week or two while I get settled in to my new home away from home. I should get back into the swing of things after that, though, so don't worry about me disappearing. I'm not the type to up and vanish without warning.
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=266462#266462]Journals 100% done.[/url]
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Does anybody have any idea where I could put Rilamus (the displaced Hermaean)? So far I've just had him chilling in the Ranyon-ruhn Temple in lieu of a permanent home, with the assumption I'd find a good place eventually and move him there, but I still can't find a place I like for an insane former cultist. I'm on track for another (worthwhile this time) WIP in the next few days, and I'd rather have everybody in their permanent positions. Any specific suggestions where I should put the guy?
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Maybe the village around the nethre pulu eggmine or Sadas plantation, those places both can be home to a disturbed individual. And they are both on the same island as the hermaean cave. (Port Telvannis has the same possibilities, but we already have many quests that ask you to go there.)
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I've checked out both of those places, and neither is quite what I'm after. The egg mine is too small for there to be an outsider lurking about, and the plantation is too efficient to have an unnecessary non-employee living on its grounds. I'll keep looking, but I'd love more suggestions if anyone has some.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Looking at this map: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=15500.
You can see there are a couple of islands around the big Gahvan Isle. Between Port Telvannis and Gah Sadrith there are three small ones, theres one small one to the north-east, and there's the big 'Isle of Arches'. Perhaps you could place Rilamus on one of those islands. [Or does he need a more public placement?]
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I'd like him to be as out of the way as possible, and those islands sound good for that. I'll check them out in game tonight. The only thing is, I'd like him to be indoors, and I'd like to avoid creating a new interior/exterior for that purpose. In any case, I'll check it out later; I'm late for work right now. :-)
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

All right, I've found a solution I like, but I'll need approval to commandeer a small interior before I go ahead with it.

I don't want to delete any NPCs or modify any towns in any way, so what I've come up with is this:

When asked about Rilamus' whereabouts, Fedaves tells the player that his last known location was Sarvanni (or another small town; it doesn't really matter). When the player goes there and asks about him, the townspeople say something like "You mean the crazy old Dunmer? We haven't seen him in quite a while now. You should talk to 'X' about him. He was the only one who could get Rilamus to calm down enough to talk to him." The player goes and asks "X" (X is any NPC in the town, doesn't matter who) about Rilamus, and is told that Rilamus had a shack on the outskirts of town for quite a few years, and would periodically wander into town babbling about this or that random topic, generally not making any sense and reacting semi-violently to any attempts at interaction. Most people took to ignoring him, but "X" took pity, and one day followed him back to his shack and tried to strike up a friendship, which resulted in "X's" being able to approach Rilamus without being confronted or attacked. This somewhat amicable relationship continued for a few years until one day for whatever reason Rilamus up and left his shack, took all of his few belongings, and set off into the wilderness. "X" was concerned and followed Rilamus for a few days until they arrived at a beached shipwreck (this is the interior I mentioned). Rilamus decided it was a satisfactory living space and took up residence in the cabin of the ship. "X" visited him there a handful of times, but is now getting too old to make the journey. He tells the player where the shipwreck is and warns the player that Rilamus can be violent towards strangers, so caution should be used in approaching him. The player goes to the shipwreck and finds Rilamus, talks with him, etc. and the rest plays out like the established quest outline.

Basically, all that text is me asking if I can use Beached Shipwreck, Cabin in my quest. Its exterior is in the Telvanni Isles Region (I don't remember the coordinates), and as far as I can tell it doesn't serve any quest-related purposes. I wouldn't touch the upper or lower decks, only the cabin, and using it would prevent the need for another interior/exterior to be made. Is it okay for me to use that interior for my purposes?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

A shipwreck cabin sounds like an excellent abode for a crazy wizard. As for finding him, personally I think that the "only person who seems to care about Y" thing is overdone. Why not simply make a very nosy person who always follows people around?
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Great idea. Perhaps make the town Bahrammu on northwesterncoast of Telvanni Islands. There is not much happening so far and PC needs more reasons to travel to this remote village. There is a shipwreck on that island, but I am not sure it is the beached one.
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

This is a good plan and the beached shipwreck isn't in use right now. I agree with Theo about Bahrammu, lots of unused NPC's walking around there.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Bahrammu it is, then. I'll get straight to moving Rilamus to his new home. My hope for the next WIP is to get the player all the way up to the point where Fedaves transports himself and the player to Pseudographa, though this may be a bit ambitious. I'll upload the file regardless either tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

@ Gnomey: I agree with you somewhat, but if the shipwreck is as far away from the village as I think it is, I believe it would take more than a simply nosy person to trek through the wilderness for days just to see where an outcast is going. I'll try it both ways and see what works best.
the_cosmonaut
Developer

Post by the_cosmonaut »

Just a suggestion: Another way of finding Rilamus could be that the villagers sent you to the local hunter (or someone else who can be expected to spend a lot of time in the wilderness).
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

All right, so I lied. The file will be up this weekend, not tonight. It's not far enough along to warrant another WIP file, and I'm falling asleep at the computer here. The progress is going very well at the moment, though. I'm planning to build in at least one, possibly two or three back doors for people who go kill-crazy in the Ranyon-ruhn Temple. One for if Fedaves is dead, another if Ratagos is dead, and possibly a third if both are dead. No sense holding up a questline just because a Telvanni player might hate those pesky Temple followers!
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Second WIP is posted. Play instructions are the same as before. Type [Journal TR_Q77_Dummy 10] into the console and head to Dral's chamber in Tel Thenim. A few notes about this file:

It is adjusted for Temple players (vanilla and Mainland), so please try characters who are members, high-ranking members (Diviner or above), and non-members to get all the responses and make sure they're working properly. All of the branches occur in Fedaves' dialogue; after that it's the same for everyone.

This file is (as always) not as far as I'd like it to be. I announce fairly clearly when it's over, so just play until you hit the end.

In the dialogue that leads the player to Rilamus, I don't give good directions at all. Rilamus is on the Isle of Arches, so I figured that landmark would be enough, but I will add more than just "Isle of Arches" as directions. The dialogue is also very shallow in this part; I plan to flesh it out for the next file.

Please give me as full a review as possible. I'd really like feedback on my progress.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I playtested your quest again, and I can say it was very entertaining. I still need to do it over with a high ranking temple character, but so far here's what I found:

With Archmagister Dral I experienced a problem when clicking on the 'his followers' topic. Something was wrong with a RemoveTopic script.

The single choice offered by Dral when failing to gain info on the Hermaeans needs a period.

When Dral gets mad at the PC for failing he says:
..unambitious Hireling like yourself.
How can I be a Hireling if I'm not part of the Telvanni?

The Vampires in the Erushara Tomb can be affected by normal weapons. I thought Vampires had 100% resistance to normal weapons, though I can't say for sure.

The journal update you get after hearing about the secret journal underneath the Temple has this line: '..It is now stored in the archives below this very temple in Ranyon-Ruhn' If the PC were to read this journal part when outside of ranyon-ruhn, such a line would seem strange.

Boden Fyryn, when talking about Rilamus, says the following: ", he just up and left his shack" I suppose you forgot to add the word 'got'?

Rilamus doesn't have a face.

Suggestion:
Create an Isle of Arches topic for Boden, just say it's nort-west of the Sadas plantation or something like that. Otherwise there is no other way to actually know where the Isle of Arches is.

Perhaps change the keyword 'certain questions' that Dral has, into something that sounds a little more special?

In Bahrammu there was this NPC, Lervathi Arul. Did you create her? If so, I think she sticks out too much with her blue robe. Her only function seemed to be to point the PC to Boden Fyryn.

Perhaps you could use full words with Dral, and use apostrophes as least as possible. So he would say things like 'can not' rather than 'can't'. That would make him more distinct in my opinion, however the use of apostrophes does fit his rather impatient responses. So it's just a suggestion anyway.

Question:
Why doesn't Ratagos have a last name?
And why does he have a dreugh cuirass, a glass bracer, an ebony bracer and other valuable items when I kill him.
[This probably has to do with the Temple quests rather than yours..]

Comment:
Overall this is a very fun quest. Your dialogue is very immersive and contains zero errors as far as I can see. The underground archives were VERY cool.

The back doors for killing Temple people haven't been implemented yet, I presume? I don't really think those would be necessary, because I don't think many players would kill off a questgiver. In most of the Morrowind quests, killing the questgiver meant no-more quests. So if you're going to implement that, the PC should be informed as to how the quest still can be continued [and also that killing a temple member IS a possibility from the start].

EDIT:
I did the quest again as a high ranking Temple member, all the dialogue seems fine. Ratagos' response is good as well. Perhaps you could give him another response if the PC is of a higher rank than even Ratagos.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

immortal_pigs wrote:With Archmagister Dral I experienced a problem when clicking on the 'his followers' topic. Something was wrong with a RemoveTopic script.
That would be because no such command exists.

To remove a topic from someone's lists, filter all the responses for that topic in such a way that after 'point X' they are unable to say anything at all.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

@ immortal_pigs: Rilamus does have a face. It's one of Peterboy's custom faces, so it's only in the most recent TR_Data. I created no NPCs in Bahrammu. They're all "vanilla", if the term can apply to unquested TR maps. Thanks for the dialogue and journal tips; that kind of thing is always caught more accurately by someone other than me. The %PCRank dialogue function automatically displays the first rank if no rank exists. If you were a Spellwright, it would say Spellwright. "Up and left" is a very common American phrase, and it's good to know it doesn't translate well; I'll change that to something else. I'm not sure what the problem is with the "his followers" topic. Is it a loop or does the topic just disappear? If the topic disappears, it's supposed to. It's replaced with the topic "Hermaeans" so the player can ask the NPCs in the temple about the name of the cult instead of a description of it. Any problems with Ratagos aren't my fault. I haven't altered him in any way; all I've done is assign dialogue.

@ BC: All of my dialogue that is supposed to disappear does so when I want it to as far as I know. If a topic sticks around after its usefulness appears to be over, it has a different response that reflects it has already been discussed, and will probably become useful again later. If this is not the case (i.e. you've found a topic that just says the same thing repeatedly) please let me know which one it is and what the circumstances were so I can fix it. I'd actually really appreciate it if you gave my file a once-over and posted a review, since you're the most tenured quester in these parts (except of course Lud, but I imagine he's otherwise occupied with far more important things than WIP reviews at the moment).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'm currently taking a bit of a break from serious work for TR, but I'll remember to give this a look over at some point. :))

Re: what I said, I was referring to IP's report of a problem with a 'RemoveTopic' command. He was getting an error because you (presumably) had used a 'RemoveTopic' command in a dialogue results box, when no such command in fact exists.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

If any such command is written in my dialogue, it was an error by my secretary. :-P

But seriously, sometimes I do strange things when modding at 2:30 in the morning. :-)
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Faalen, I was perusing the TR_Data today and I found a perfect book cover for the book on scrying; I was hoping you could change the current cover for this one.

"Meshes/tr/m/tr_text_gavissa_01"
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I certainly can. It'll be a little while until the next WIP file, though. I just started school and I haven't been able to mod anything for over a week. I'll get back on top of this claim in the near future, however, so have no fear!
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Just a brief update to say that, well, there is no update. No progress has been made since the upload time of the most recent file 'cause I've been away at school. I have a fancy-pants laptop arriving on Tuesday, however, and I will be up and modding not long after that provided Vista chooses to be cooperative. Sorry to make a post irrelevant to the claim; I just want to make it known that I haven't forgotten little old q1-77-tel! :-)

For real, though, expect another WIP during or before the second week of October.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Just keep going, and don't leave us in a lurch! As long as you do that (until releases start looming, which they aren't for Map 1 right now), we'll be happy. :)

The only problem we'd have is if you just left without saying anything.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

I'd never do that to you guys; this project is a high priority for me, and my hiatus has been due to a lack of modding technology. Incidentally, this post is being made on my new laptop, which arrived a day early. I'll have the CS up and running in the next week, depending on when I can get home to grab the disc. Exciting times!
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

And another post not directly related to this claim:

I am unable to playtest my work due to a delightfully cryptic [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=20964]keyboard glitch[/url], and I'd really appreciate some help in getting it figured out. I've been all over the internet and can't find an answer, so I'm hoping somebody else here can give me a hand in solving this.

The CS is running great, and I just got an external mouse so I can deal with the cell view window without wanting to kill myself (touchpads suck!), but I can't post a new WIP until I solve my issue.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

If you post up a WIP, we'll try and get some testing done for you. :))

Unfortunately I have no idea about how to solve your problem. :(
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

WIP 3 is up. It's dependent on the public Map1.esm and the latest, greatest TR_Data, which you'll need to avoid headless NPCs. The entire quest up to the point where the player arrives at Ansura-Heramas is complete, though I'm not completely happy with a couple of things: namely, I don't like the diary I've written or the cave's riddle. I'm eager for suggestions/total rewrites of what I've done here. Enough negativity, though.

Play instructions from the top, since the last time I posted them was a ways back. Open the console and type this:

Code: Select all

Journal TR_Q77_Dummy 10
Go and see Dral, and he'll tell you what's what. And to state again for the record, this is NOT the ID my journals are under. It's just a dummy dialogue requirement like the ID implies.

I'm looking forward to some reviews.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Well, it was fun as always to playtest this quest. I wasn't able to find that many errors this time, all I have are a few suggestions and questions.

1. Maybe change the name of the "nondescript key". I'm not sure why it is currently names as such.
2. Fix the pathgrid for Anasou since he likes to walk against bookshelves.
3. Why is Ondave lying down?

About your riddle, I'm not sure if you should change it. The only reason I found the cave was by pure chance, though the riddle did send me in the right direction. It gave me the idea that the "three fingers" would probably be found all the way east of Gahvan Isle were the sun would come up. But I happened to come across the cave entrance while going there.
One thing you should maybe change is the notion that the 3 fingers can only be seen through magic, since that isn't really true.

All in all I look forward to seeing the rest of this quest soon. :P
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

It's called a nondescript key because that's exactly what it is. There's nothing about it that would suggest it's the key to a secret archive of rare and heretical books. There are already a ton of keys named things like "Rusty Key" or "Large Key". In describing this one as boring, I'm intentionally drawing attention to it.

I've tweaked the pathgrid in that cave probably ten times, and that dude just keeps walking into those bookshelves. It's probably because the passed out people get in his way; I'll move them somewhere else.

I'm very glad you asked why they're lying down (there are actually two of them passed out). That's exactly the response I'm after. The player is supposed to see them and go "wtf?", and that's apparently how it worked for you. It will make slightly more sense in the next WIP, but it will never be directly explained.

I didn't realize I had said that the cave can only be seen with magic. I was trying to give the impression that the cave could be seen with magic (detect enchantments), not that it's invisible to the naked eye. I'll reword that line.

If anybody else cares to DL and playtest this, I'll be very grateful. IP's input is great, but the more eyes, the better.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I playtested it. I loved it.

I took the clues to mean that I could only see the entrance with night-eye.

One odd thing that happens is that after I "wait", I wake up and a messagebox appears with no text except "ok." So there may be something in the scripting somewhere that causes this.

One last thing. I don't think there should be a journal entry for finding the key. It kinda felt like the quest was too rigid because the journal entries.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Yeah, like I said, my clues are muddled. I'd really like some input to make them better. I also want the cave entrance to ask for something more clever than a name, unless nobody has a problem with the way it is now. Another zany idea I just had is that I could make the entrance invisible to the naked eye, only appearing when the player used night eye or detect enchantments. Or maybe that's not such a good idea. Regardless, I'd like any and all input. It's easy for my mind to stagnate if I only have myself to bounce ideas off of.

And I agree about the journal entries. On my last playthrough, it did feel a bit clunky. I'll page through my journals and try to streamline it a bit.

I have no idea whatsoever which script would cause a message box to pop up like that. I only have one script that uses messages, and only one if its boxes has an "OK" involved. Could you give me a little more information about when and where this occurred? It would help me pinpoint the problem script.

Thanks for playing through it, Hemitheon. The next WIP will include at least the beginning of the Pseudographa section, so be prepared for at least a couple of PMs from me regarding specifics on that interior. I also have a plan for the necromantic scrying book, but that can be a surprise.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Can't wait for the next one. I really really like this quest so far.

As for the message box, when I rest anywhere in the game, an empty message box appears with the word "ok". When you press it goes away and that's it. When I played the game without the quest but with Map1, it didn't do it. When I played it with the quest, it did it. I'll look into it further and post here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I played without this quest and it did it so it isn't your quest, sorry to worry you. It's Map1 that has the flaw.
Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Right, so I've somehow scripted myself into a corner with what should be an incredibly simple enable/disable instance. The circumstances are these:

Bear with me, this is a bit convoluted. The necromantic scrying book that is the subject of the Hermaean's interest is contained in the Archives. It is comprised of two separate meshes, a front and back cover, that are automagically glued together through a little PlaceAtMe script. The first time the player sees the Archives, the book in question is on a lectern, fully intact. The player is free to take it at this time, and will receive no notification that it will be important later. Fast forward to Ansura-Heramas, and Ildos Hlen asks the player for information contained in said book. If the player took it and has it on them, the journal entry will reflect the fact that this book is on hand. Otherwise, it is up to the player to realize that either (A) they have taken the book and stashed/sold it or (B) it's in the same place as the other book taken from the Hermaeans. If the former is the situation, the player is on their own. If the book cannot be found, they must guess the answers to Ildos' questions. If the latter is the case, however, the player will hopefully think to return to the Archives to search for the book. Upon arriving at the Archives, however, the book is missing from the lectern, and a torn-off part of it is lying on the floor in the middle of the room. Finding this sends the player in search of the other half of the book which contains the rest of the information needed.

My problem is this:

No matter what I try, I cannot make the original intact copy disappear when the new damaged copy appears. Everything else works just fine; the original copy just won't go away. Trying to disable it from its own script does nothing, and trying to disable it remotely prevents its script and that on the damaged copy from running at all. I am at a total loss. If somebody's willing to argue with this for a bit, I'd be happy to PM a file to them. It's been driving me up a wall for over an hour and I'm fresh out of ideas.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'm slightly confused here.

Just so you can tell me why not, "why don't you just have a script on 'Original Book' that disables it once 'Stage X' in quest is reached, and a script on 'Broken Book' that enables it once 'Stage X' in the quest is reached?"

Or if that is the case, PM me the file/post up the scripts, and I'll see what's goin' down here. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

A fine question. It needs to have a contingency in place for if the player has taken the book already but does NOT bring it with to see the Hermaeans. I don't want the book to disable itself if it's on a shelf in the player's hideout, for instance. Similarly, I don't want the broken copy to enable itself if it's not supposed to exist. I have successfully implemented the latter situation (the broken copy deletes itself if the player at any time picks up the original), but no matter what I try, the original will not disable if it has a condition to check that it's in its original untouched location. In desperation I even tried an "if (GetJournalIndex, blahblah) disable" with no other conditions, and it failed to disable the book. There is something in the script that interferes with the disable command, and I don't know what. I'm not on my computer right now, but I'll post my scripts here when I have access to them. It's possible that I'll need to approach the situation from an entirely different angle, like PlaceItemCell or a global script, but I'd rather avoid it. I hate starting global scripts that will run for an indefinite amount of time (in this case from the time the player is told about the need for the book until its discovery).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Primary thing that springs to mind is that there might be a constantly running enable command on the book. (Or a (GetDisabled == 1) one)

Anyway, we'll see what your scripts throw up. I'm sure we can handle this. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Faalen
Developer

Post by Faalen »

Right, so here we go. The first script is the one running on the broken copy of the book. The GetItemCount condition checks to see if the player picks up the original. If so, this copy is deleted. This script works fine alone, but stops functioning entirely when I try to disable the original copy, so it's included here for full disclosure. Note that journal 75 is the one the player gets if Ildos sends them in search of this book and they DON'T have it with them, so is the only one that matters. The player gets journal 76 if they bring the original copy with them to Ildos, and that contingency works perfectly. If the journal is at 75, I need to check whether the original copy is in its original location before deleting it. And for the record, disabling the original from the fragment's script at the same time it enables itself does NOT work for some reason; this would be the ideal situation since the broken copy appears like clockwork exactly when it's supposed to.

Begin TR_m1_q77_TreatiseFragment

if ( player->GetItemCount "TR_m1_lib1_i1-71-tri" > 0 )
	disable
	SetDelete 1
	return
endif

if ( GetJournalIndex, TR_m1_HT_Dr3 < 75 )
	if ( GetDisabled == 0 )
		disable
	endif
else
	if ( GetDisabled == 1 )
		enable
	endif
endif

if ( GetJournalIndex, TR_m1_HT_Dr3 == 75 )
	if ( OnActivate == 1 )
		Journal TR_m1_HT_Dr3 78
		Activate
	endif
endif

End
The next script is the one running on the front cover of the original copy of the book. This version does NOT include any attempt to disable the book; these are the scripts in their functional forms.

Begin TR_m1_q77_BookFront
;This is a partner script to BookBack. It handles the enabling of the back book cover.

short StartItUp
float Zcoord

if ( MenuMode != 1 )
	return; this script only needs to run when in the inventory screen.
endif

if ( StartItUp == 0 )
	if ( player-> GetItemCount "TR_m1_lib1_i1-71-tri" == 0 )
		return
	else
		set StartItUp to 1
		return
	endif
endif

if ( player-> GetItemCount "TR_m1_lib1_i1-71-tri" > 0 )
	return; nothing happens if you have it on you.
endif

Set Zcoord to ( GetPos, z )
Set Zcoord to ( Zcoord + 3.883 )
SetPos, z, Zcoord; moves the cover off the surface exactly the width of the back cover.
PlaceAtMe "TR_m1_q77_BookBackDummy" 1 0 0
Set StartItUp to 0

End
BookBackDummy is an activator with a book mesh, not actually a book. This last script is the one running on the back cover, and its sole purpose is currently to delete the back cover when the front cover is picked up.

Begin TR_m1_q77_BookBack
;This script disables/deletes the back cover of the scrying book when the front is picked up.

if ( GetDisabled == 1 )
	SetDelete 1
	return
endif

if ( player-> GetItemCount, "TR_m1_lib1_i1-71-tri" > 0 )
	disable
	return
endif

End
The meshes being used are:

Front cover: tr/m/tr_text_gavissa_01.nif
Back cover: tr/m/tr_text_gavissa_02.nif

Please post any questions/answers you come up with. Thanks.