really good idea

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

worm82075

really good idea

Post by worm82075 »

I have an idea for an Elder Scrolls site, where you could go to place a classified ad and you wouldn't have to be a member to post it. Ads like, work wanted, modder wanted, model wanted etc,etc... Or you could just place your resume there and see who bites.

Also it could have a very extensive list of links to everywhere in the community. And up to date statistics on all those sites, like how many mods they host, the current poll, the latest news headline, how many members they have, how many posts they have etc,etc...

Oh, yeah and a top 5 list ranking all the sites by their different statistics.

I think it would be cool if someone made a site like that.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Well, why don't you make it yourself? :) If it's a really good idea, you'd want to be associated with it, wouldn't you? Not have all the glory stolen by someone else. Good luck!
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i think its a pretty good idea, it is however very ambitious and therefore difficult to make. the sheer amount of modders in the community is staggering, and a larger number of them would have to sign up for this to be effective. i do however see the potential of this, if someone was to pull it off effectively and get people on board it would be an invaluable asset to the modding community.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
worm82075

Post by worm82075 »

I might decide to do so if at least two people said it was a good idea.

Edit. That was what i was looking for. Thank you Lady Nerevar .
Hillbilly Man
Developer

Idea

Post by Hillbilly Man »

I could sure use a site like that, great idea.
No, I'm not really a hillbilly

"truly special 10's are to be saved for truly special occasions (like the night you try to get in her pants)" - Lady Nerevar
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

[url=http://www.imperial-library.info/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203458631]I like to crosspost too.[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
worm82075

Post by worm82075 »

Is there something wrong with crossposting?
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

When you'd like an answer to a question, it's a good idea to ask one community at a time. If you crosspost like you did, it makes you look like a spammer, even if you really do have good intentions.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

18 forums... omigosh. you realize that the cross of opinions you receive wont really be that different since the community is not spread that widely? the same people frequent several sites and stuff. not only is it overkill, but its also considered rather spamy (as said above). its just frowned upon at such a scale, and considered forum whoring most of the time.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
worm82075

Post by worm82075 »

I do so apologize to you all for whoring my self on your site. It was a one time only thing.
MY NEW SITE IS ALMOST READY!
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/vphwrc.jpg[/img]
Community BulletinBoard, Community Links and Site Statistics Tracking, Mod Publishing and Mod Development Research. Also Offering Temporary and Possibly Permanent Housing for Homeless Mod Teams. You Will Be Given a Forum Category of Your Own With Administrator Rights to That Space.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Great, now its quickly turning into an advertisement...
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Okay, we don't like advertisements. At all. And you do realize that you said you were sorry for whoring and then posted a link to a forum in text that isn't even legible? I have my doubts about intentions, and wouldn't be surprised if you were the most coherent bot we've seen yet.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

don't be silly, this person is obviously not a bot. I wouldn't in the least be surprised if he had the site almost done before he posted this though.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:I wouldn't in the least be surprised if he had the site almost done before he posted this though.
He would be a God Of The Internet, if he could create such a site in 10 hours.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

which is why I said he was nearly done with it before he posted the thread. (not the post with the banner)
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
worm82075

Post by worm82075 »

Hello all, my name is Jeremy, but please, call me Worm. This is my site and I hope you enjoy it. I would like to share some of my thoughts with you now about where I see us as a community heading and how I would like to help shape that journey.

I think of The Elder Scrolls Community as a universe in and of itself. The individual TES sites and their authors are the stars and worlds of that universe. The world wide web is the light years of empty space between those worlds and The Wormhole is a short cut through the void connecting those distant worlds and mixing the otherwise isolated inhabitants of an ever expanding universe.

Many people predicted a sharp dencline in the interest expressed in this series, but statistics show that 1000+ new faces enter our community everyday. It is up to us as senior members of this community to welcome and teach those that are new to TES modding. In this way, much needed new blood can be added to the ever dwindling pool of available modders. It won't be long before the activity on the two main forums explodes with the next release of TES. It is quite possible that this will be a serious problem for everyone that uses those sites.We are seriously over crowded in those places and seriously underpopulated throughout the rest of the community.In my travels throughout this universe I have encountered many worlds, most of them dieing from lack of support. Many good mods and great sites have starved and been all but abandoned by the wayside to die a slow and painful death at the hands of poor resource management. It is my wish to proliferate the organization of growth and eventual evolution of the modding phenomenon in which we are all participating. We must act now to ensure a long and fruitful existence for all that is TES.

I give you TES Modders Community College. A revolutionary site of my own design that I am calling a "Dorm Room Style Forum". Each eligible member will receive their own room(forum), fully self moderated and open to invitation only. Residents will also receive a globally moderated public room(classroom) upon request.
This will be a highly moderated site with an in depth lesson plan for beginners , organizational support for aspiring teams, and long term informational and promotional Support for teams that move on to their own sites.
A carefully thought out ranking system will be implemented here to ensure that resources are not wasted on the not so serious and is redirected efficiently to benefit our students and resident modders alike.
~Ranking System~ 2-21-08
Novice - 0-19 - If you have no prior experience modding you must start here. Novices an Apprentices will enjoy hassle free interaction with higher level members (ie;no question is a stupid one at these ranks).
Apprentice - 20-54 - By the time you reach 54 posts you should have a firm grasp on your chosen area of modding.
Journeyman - 55-104 - Probably the toughest rank. All higher ranking members are no longer required to take it easy on you and you will have very few perks.
Expert - 105-169 - Once you reach this rank you will be eligible ( based on your overall contributions) to move on to one of three ranks depending on what you choose to do.
1 - Resident - A fully unrestricted and free form modder, with or without team ambitions.
2 - Junior Moderator - The first step to becoming a staff member
3 - VIP - a special class of members that are users/moderators
Should you choose to take none of the above positions you may continue to be a freestyle tutor and your ranks will progress as follows:
Master - 170-299
Elite - 300-499
Legend - 500-999
Icon - 1000+

Resident - this rank is the most free to do as you please position here. Residents are encouraged to share their knowledge with the low ranking members, but are not required to. Any modder with a released mod ranking higher than five is automatically eligible for this position.
VIP - This rank is for those that do not wish to mod or officially join the staff, but have a moderate amount of knowledge to share and are interested in assisting the school and it's residents with play testing, research, promotion and publishing of mods. Anyone that can provide a link to a list of posts that shows exemplary contribution and desire to help others to learn, will automatically be eligible for this position. All VIPs will have their own room.
Junior Moderator - this position is at the bottom of the ladder for staff members. Your power here is limited to moderation of reported files.
Global Moderator - this position affords you to moderate all public forums with powers falling just short of banning members. All staff members with a rank equal or greater will have their own room.
Senior Moderator - Full moderator rights in all public and private spaces as well as the ability to ban members.
Administrative Moderator - Full administrator with all the power that entails, with the exception of changing network settings and style code.
Administrator - Founder status Only I possess this rank, but any Administrative Moderator that remains diligent to this site and it's cause for six months or more will be offered founder status.

I firmly believe that this will provide the entire community with more modders and better mod making time tables.

I hereby do solemnly swear to always aid in the successful transformation of newbie to modder and the creation and wide, even distribution of content created by and for The Elder Scrolls Community. I and any who join me will provide;
1 - An always free to post Community BulletinBoard(no membership required)
2 - An extensive list of community links w/up to date statistical info,available to all as well as a page for each site with in depth house and user reviews
3 - A friendly, hands on learning environment for those just learning and those seeking to extend their skills by collaborating with others.
3 - A comprehensive research and promotional publishing support service to all who seek it.(details to come)
4 - Housing for all staff and eligible members
5 - An unbiased and open minded organization dedicated to the growth and support of the entire community.

This is our mission statement and while it may change slightly in the future the overall goal will remain the same, to unify our community and prevent good members from being left out in the cold to suffer and eventually give up on their dreams to make worlds in The Elder Scrolls universe.

Thank you for your time and if you like my idea's and are currently without a home, consider joining me. Formation of a mod team is also in my plans so there are many roles to fill here, all of them productive to our cause. Long Live TES Community

Respectfully,

Jeremy Burkett aka Worm

---

It is advertising of sorts. Response from the community has been overwhelming. Many quality people have stepped forward and I now have the start of a respectable staff. We will not be open for public registration until all content and management systems are in place. The entire purpose behind this venture is to bolster the whole community, not to take away from it. Dedicated modders are starting to see that and are asking to join for the sole purpose of breathing new life into the community as well as their own site. TES Community College will be a private learning institution, as such guests will have access to the public resources of the site, but will have no access to the campus unless they become a student. Public chatting will be at a minimum here. That is the reasoning behind the dorm rooms, so we do not lose focus on the overall goal. The rules are not something I'm proud of but are absolutely necessary to ensure that the majority of students graduate and move on to other areas of the community, possibly yours. Your site here is one of the largest collaborations in the community, and will be a desired destination of newbies.

Let me apoligize in advance to all the staff members here, for soon enough you will have a flood of students here asking where they can find this or that. The upside to that is almost certainly some of these people will like what they see here and will tell all their friends about it and will possibly join you. This sort of thing will be widely encouraged at our school. Keep in mind that we will only be pointing people in certain directions to find the resources they need, while we will tell them how to conduct themselves in places such as these we can hardly control the chaos that is bound to occur. It would be widely beneficial to all concerned to collaborate on this, so as to keep the flow organized.

We will not accept your application for employment if you choose to leave the site or the team you are with now. We have already turned down several such applications as that is counter productive to our cause. All current staff members were either without a home or a have joined us on the side in hopes of creating something to benefit their site or team.

We need all the support we can get, but should you choose to shun or otherwise boycott our cause that will have no bearing on our mission. We will still provide the public with a link to this site and any other known site for that matter and we will encourage the exploration of them in search of a place of their own. Like our mission statement said:

We hereby do solemnly swear to always aid in the successful transformation of newbie to modder and the creation and wide, even distribution of content created by and for The Elder Scrolls Community. We and any who join us will provide;

5 - An unbiased and open minded organization dedicated to the growth and support of the entire community.

I thank you all for your time and hope that none of my actions here have done any harm in any way.

Repectfully,

Jeremy Burkett aka Worm
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Please don't double post. I've merged your two posts together.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Interesting. I have no opinion on this untill I see something. Its ether a huge scam, a great advancement for TES (that might die in itself in the future because of the sise) or some bad joke.

Hmmm...
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

That is not a new idea. A polish modding focused TES site already exists and is open since may 2007.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

aro101 wrote:That is not a new idea. A polish modding focused TES site already exists and is open since may 2007.
The French got you beat by five years, [url=http://forum.wiwiland.net/index.php?act=home]Wiwiland[/url] exists since March 2002 and is the one-stop-shop for TES modding -- forums, mod hosting & testing, a technical wiki, a lore wiki, and more.
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Wow, nice. I didn't know Wiwiland was also focused on modding. I've been there a few times, though I don't understand a single word in french except eau and rogue.

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Polish site

Post by Hillbilly Man »

The polish site is clockwork city right. I went there once and it all was in polish. I translated it by copying and pasting and actually went through the site. I didn't know that many polish people played elder scrolls games. Is there some special german and spanish forum too.

"truly special 10's are to be saved for truly special occasions (like the night you try to get in her pants)" - Lady Nerevar
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Yea, we got lots of people. And I'm the second spammer there :P

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Polish Site

Post by Hillbilly Man »

I tried to join Clockwork City but couldn't do nothing. It said something about the administrator having to activate my account but nothing happened. What do you do at Clockwork city. The pictures looked interesting but I didn't translate the whole site.

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Well neither of those sites are in english, making it difficult for hundreds of millions to read. Babelfish translation only works so well.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
worm82075

Post by worm82075 »

There is already an American site as well(besides yourselves) that focuses on modding and much of the inspiration for my site comes from Razorwing's site, as well as elements from around the globe.
Of course I know of these other sites, but I guarantee you, that my site will be like nothing you have ever seen before.
This project is the culmination of two years of statistical analysis and an intense sometimes first hand study of our communities diversity and breadth of expansion. That is why my site unlike all the others will not be thinking locally, but globally. Our site will be available in 34 languages(sorry japan)

I am sure many of you here know of Silgrad Tower but if you don't pop on over and check out the organizational skills of a site 5 years in the making. We will join the ranks of this communities best(not dis-including yourselves) and we will do it by offering something unique and beneficial to all.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

日本語が嫌いですか
ひどいです!

BTW, we know about ST. They split from us 5 years ago due to disagreements over lore and various other things. We don't generally discuss each other for this reason.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
theblackfist

Post by theblackfist »

is this why we will not be making the Morrowind providence for the Oblivion engine? (because apparently Silgrad Tower seems to be doing just that) I thought there were some copyright issues preventing ANYONE from doing that. (for the Oblivion engine)

BTW, what providence will we be working on next after Hammerfell for the Oblivion engine? Just asking....
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

a lot of people ask that and everytime its responded with this

: Hammerfell is going to take AGES, so there are no plans to make another providence yet...

kind of thing, so its sort of pointless even to ask. theres only ever going to be two projects going at once ie (MW + HF)
theviking and MowSkwoz have it in theirs... soo: "We need quest designers!" - Stolen From teh Cutness.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

theblackfist wrote:is this why we will not be making the Morrowind providence for the Oblivion engine? (because apparently Silgrad Tower seems to be doing just that) I thought there were some copyright issues preventing ANYONE from doing that. (for the Oblivion engine)

BTW, what providence will we be working on next after Hammerfell for the Oblivion engine? Just asking....
First, let me get something out of the way.
prov·i·dence /ˈprɒvɪdəns/ [prov-i-duhns]
–noun
1. (often initial capital letter) the foreseeing care and guidance of God or nature over the creatures of the earth.
2. (initial capital letter) God, esp. when conceived as omnisciently directing the universe and the affairs of humankind with wise benevolence.
3. a manifestation of divine care or direction.
4. provident or prudent management of resources; prudence.
5. foresight; provident care.
prov·ince /ˈprɒvɪns/ [prov-ins]
–noun
1. an administrative division or unit of a country.
2. the provinces,
a. the parts of a country outside of the capital or the largest cities.
b. (in England) all parts of the country outside of London.
3. a country, territory, district, or region.
4. Geography. physiographic province.
5. a department or branch of learning or activity: the province of mathematics.
6. sphere or field of activity or authority, as of a person; office, function, or business: Such decisions do not lie within his province.
7. a major subdivision of British India.
8. an ecclesiastical territorial division, as that within which an archbishop or a metropolitan exercises jurisdiction.
9. History/Historical.
a. any of the North American colonies now forming major administrative divisions of Canada.
b. any of certain colonies of Great Britain which are now part of the U.S.
10. Roman History. a country or territory outside of Italy, brought under the ancient Roman dominion and administered by a governor sent from Rome.
11. Mining. an individual mineral-producing area.
Then, onto the points:
Q: "What will we do next?"
A: "We'll decide once we'll have finished what we're doing now. Not before."

Q: "Is it a copyright issue to recreate Morrowind for Oblivion's engine?"
A: "No. It's a copyright issue to rip Morrowind's assets for any other game, though. So a recreation of Morrowind has to be made entirely from scratch. As far as I know, this is what the Silgrad Tower team is intent on doing, so everything is fine and dandy."
theblackfist

Post by theblackfist »

oops, I meant the 2nd one: P-R-O-V-I-N-C-E
guess I was just too tired when I wrote that.