TR Book Group - Or what are you reading now?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Skillgannon

TR Book Group - Or what are you reading now?

Post by Skillgannon »

So I thought I would start a literary alternative to aro101's Last.fm thread.
What book are you reading at the moment?
And whats your favorite book?

I am reading 'The swords of night and day' by David Gemmel and reckon either I Am Legend by Richard Matheson or one of Stephen King's have got to be my ultimate favorites. Its hard to choose though. I could read Cell a million times and not get bored but Duma Key and The Stand took a part of me with them when I finished reading.
Skillgannon.
Last edited by Skillgannon on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I'm currently reading: Lord of lies by David Zindell. You should read the fantasy books of David Zindell, the're of outstanding quality.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Galilee - Clive Barker
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Cry, Beloved Country by Alan Paton for summer reading. the writing style is kind of weird and choppy at first, but you definitely get used to it. about halfway through and i like it, though its not my favorite school related book.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

Lord of the flies, one on my LOST list :D I've got it but i haven't read it yet.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Sex and the City by Candice Bushnell. THinking of writing my thesis about the transformation of Femality from Margaret Fuller to Candace Bushnell.
fstony
Developer

Post by fstony »

The Search for Modern China by Jonathan Spence
It is very good so far. Not very Spencey, though.

I have recently joined GoodReads and found it fun.
"There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know."
â€â€￾ W.E.B. DuBois
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Paolo Coehlo's 11 Minutes. His elloquence can only be compared to the depth of his work.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

"Interpreting China's Grand Strategy" by Swaine and Tellis and "Six Days of War" by Oren.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

Whats everybody's favorite genre?
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

horror and fantasy and books about high society
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

fantasy, the more involved the better :D
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

So is it just me or do you guys have a fantasy author who really reminds you of The elder scrolls games?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I have an elder scrolls game that reminds me of a lot of fantasy writers.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

:D haha
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I can certainly recommend the sovereign stone series to you by Weis&Hickman. The world from that series and the world from the elder scrolls has a lot of similarities. Besides, the story is really good.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Currently rereading Henry IV so I can randomly bring up quotes in conversation.

Also, Swann's Way by Marcel Proust.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

Somehow i feel more primitive. Whilst i did recently read Pride and Prejudice, i am now reading a collection of crime noir stories.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I am currently reading "The Day Of The Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth. Don't know why...
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Haplo wrote:I have an elder scrolls game that reminds me of a lot of fantasy writers.
I've just reread a story that has a river called Vos and giant goblins in the desert, and an ancient monastery with black monks to top it all off.
Two of the other stories from the same bundle have snake beings that look suspiciously like one description of the Tsaeci.
Then of course there are the necromancers.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Skillgannon wrote:Whats everybody's favorite genre?
Non-fiction military books, ranging from Peloponnesian War-era Greek tactics to modern grand strategy. Medieval primary source material is also of great interest, especially in the fields of the crusades and Byzantium.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I have just finished Anna Karenina. I have read really old version, previously owned by my grandfather and written in 19th century Czech. It was a little bit masochistic and little bit funny, but somehow this picturesque language suited more to what the book was about and I cannot imagine reading its modern version now.
THEO
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Skillgannon wrote:Whats everybody's favorite genre?
It used to be scifi...but new Hard Scifi is such a letdown (one can only read that many Stephen Baxter novels), and I don't think there are any good new soft scifi novels written these days.

I've read fantasy too, of course, but there's even more unoriginal crap there. I do like some of the Clive Barker books, but Abarat died on me a bit.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

I'm reading through A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Icebound by Dean Koontz. I enjoy suspense and/or deep fantasy a la SoIaF.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i swear, we need to start an SoIaF club on TR.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

I don't read many books for pleasure, anymore. I enjoyed it as a kid, but thanks to Accelerated Reader (AR), and AP English in high school, I got somewhat burnt out :P. My last year of high school, I knew a freshman who took the chance to skip 8th grade just so he could get away from AR. That year, however, the high school adopted the AR system as well :P.

I do read the articles in Playboy, if that counts :P. Most men go straight for the naked pictures, but the articles are actually quite good.

edit: And of course I read ES lore. I need to re-read the Pocket Guide, in fact. I also want to read the SI books as well.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I read The Lord of teh Ringz mid air between Bergen and Gran Canaria and vice versa. It was the second time though.

Oh, and I just sped through the four seasons of The Office (NBC). If that counts.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Sniper4 wrote:
I do read the articles in Playboy, if that counts :P. Most men go straight for the naked pictures, but the articles are actually quite good.
I thought people read those for the interviews...
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Lady Nerevar wrote:i swear, we need to start an SoIaF club on TR.
What's the point? TR will be finished by the time A Dance With Dragons is releaased!
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

gro-Dhal wrote:
Lady Nerevar wrote:i swear, we need to start an SoIaF club on TR.
What's the point? TR will be finished by the time A Dance With Dragons is releaased!
oh snap! not sure who you is dissin' but its bad either way :P
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Well maybe before the whole series is finished...

I just look at it this way; the longer he takes to get it right, the better it's going to be when I read it. Try The Swan's War trilogy. Good but its no SoIaF though.

I also enjoy ancient history things. Greece, Rome, Egypt, Assyria, India, China, its all good.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
fstony
Developer

Post by fstony »

Regarding SoIaF, my GoodReads group just did a discussion of the first book. People had a lot to say, but the discussion was dominated by those who didn't appreciate it. Perhaps some of you fans should set the record straight.

I'm a fan of books on historical economics.

Sniper4, what is AR all about and how could it possibly cripple your desire to read?

For those who like fantasy, note that Tor is giving away ebooks right now.
"There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know."
â€â€￾ W.E.B. DuBois
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

Hey can someone enlighten me on the subject of SoIaF? What is it?
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_ice_and_fire]Song of Ice and Fire.[/url]
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Song of Ice and Fire is the name of a fantasy series by George RR Martin, beginning with A Game of Thrones. It's characterised by a well-researched believable medieval setting, a Byzantine plot full of twists and political manipulations, and a healthy dollop of moral ambiguity. It also doesn't rely overmuch on magic or monsters to drive the plot. It's the only series of it's type I actually read to be honest.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I can't find the correct words to describe it. When I die I hope I end up in the SoIaF universe... omg that'd be sweet!

*fanboy*

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Chances are you'd be a peasant and end up being chopped to bits by the Cleganes or the Karstarks.

ON TOPIC: I'm reading House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, who is a very good British SF author.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Biochemistry - Berg, Tymcsko and Stryer

Wooo university preparation.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

fstony wrote: Sniper4, what is AR all about and how could it possibly cripple your desire to read?
It stands for Accelerated Reader. Basically, you read a book, take a 10-20 question test over it and if you get most of the questions right, you get points for it. If you miss a certain amount (I think it was about 30%-40% of the questions missed) you get no points for it.

In grade school, we were required to get a certain amount of AR points every quarter of the school year (I think it was about 30 points every quarter). An average- sized novel was worth about 15 points, so that meant you had to read 4 novels per semester (If you get all your points, that is.) I usually had to read an extra one, since the questions were sometimes stupid ones like "What did (character) eat for breakfast before he went on the hunt?" You also couldn't use your book to help you during the test. To make matters worse, there weren't enough computers for everyone to use, so you often had to sign up a week in advance to take an AR test.

I'll admit some of the books I read for the program were quite good, but it didn't help that my parents were forcing me to studying constantly at the time, since they were determined that I would be valedictorian of my Junior high (I succeeded... along with six other students...). As you can well imagine, tying myself to a chair for hours on end was not what I wanted to do during what little time I got "free" during the weekend. AP English in high school also helped to burn me out, but that's a different story altogether.

I hope that once I get out of college, my desire to read for pleasure will return, especially if whatever career I follow gives me some freetime. As I mentioned, I love reading ES lore and various articles, but tackling a full novel just isn't in me these days...