q2-10-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

I didn't know there was a place to report those problems, I'll get on it. I tried what you advised with ForceGreeting, but I'm running into problems. I've uploaded a WIP with what I have so far.
I modified the already existing Jeela script to add:

Code: Select all

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
ForceGreeting
endif
All it seems to do is short-circuit the loot menu but fails to call ForceGreeting. I can't find any more details about ForceGreeting outside of the Scripting for Dummies v9 guide, such as whether or not it works when a character is knocked out. As far as I know, that should be working, and it isn't.

Could someone help me please? :)
"Oh...'smash rock'. Sure, it's 'technically' magnificent...you know where to put your fingers 'n all." -Early Cuyler
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I don't have time to test right now, but if there is some reason that FG won't work on a Knocked out character, create a dummy NPC that hides somewhere far away in the cell (standing on a collision platform), and ForceGreeting that instead.

A little clunky, but in worst case scenario, it'd work.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This is within a week of needing an update.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

Bad news, I'm afraid :(
My computer was the victim of my incessant tinkering, and I destroyed my MBR beyond repair. I was able to recover some files from Ubuntu on another partition but failed to back up my mod file (and my bookmarks, and lots of other stuff..) before a reformat. I can only start again from where my WIP left off, but I'll be able to crank out an update very soon, as I know exactly what needs doing. Very soon being by the end of the weekend.
Sorry for the lack of updates, I was awfully weary from getting my Windows system running smoothly again and couldn't bring myself to start modding from an earlier point until today. Sunday night will see some progress.
"Oh...'smash rock'. Sure, it's 'technically' magnificent...you know where to put your fingers 'n all." -Early Cuyler
Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

Updated. I included notes in the zip file, as the mod is lacking some scripting foundation. I'll have another update up soon, after I've finished the Save the Slave quest.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This needs an update

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

Save the Slave not yet done. Scripts have been done, and notes on what I'm doing are in the zip.
Right now it's back to the 20% my quick format erased. Dialogue tweaks are the dominant need right now, followed by choosing a suitable reward and testing. It's a dialogue result away from playable on the 'bad-guy' side. Good guy side needs an unfiltered topic. Everything will be worked on more tomorrow.

Sorry this is taking a bit long; it's a challenge, though I'm having fun doing it. I'm getting the hang of this :P

Feel free to dip around if you want; it isn't playable yet (I'm now realizing one global script is lacking stopscripts) but it will be remedied after some rest.
Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

Save the Slave is now playable, so for anyone interested, feel free to give any and all choices a shot and explore how you can affect this poor girl's freedom. You all may want to try it to see that the dialogue flows to your liking, journal entries make sense, rewards are fitting, etc.
It hasn't been made bulletproof; for instance, if you knew what you were doing, you could witness two NPC's appear straight out of nowhere. I'll be making a few more runs over the weekend when I have time and energy (cutting down a tree and putting up XMas decorations) and I'll be sure it has the quality TR demands.
Also this weekend, I'll draw up a time line for "In Love and War" and brainstorm the Dwemer Forgery, as I do want to make three for Marog.
Anyone who tests it, hope you like it :)

Edit: Just wanted to note that the next two won't take as long as this one did; I demanded more than I was capable of for Save the Slave so that I could explore my limits (and the Scripting for Dummies guide). It was fun, and rewarding. The next two will be me solidifying my technique.
Detinith
Developer

Post by Detinith »

I'm sorry, but I'll have to withdraw from this claim. My new school schedule this semester is particularly demanding, and during my downtime find my attention put elsewhere; I won't be able to complete this in a timely fashion nor in a comfortable one.
The latest WIP has the Save the Slave quest completed and as far as I can tell, bug-less. I have no progress on the other two further than ideas in a notebook.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay. I hope you can make a return at some point. Your work has been solid. In the meantime, this is reopened for claiming. Please use the WIP.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claim! Will check Save the Slave for errors and create In Love and War, sticking to MowSkwoz's plan. Should I get some inspiration for Hemi's quest I'll post it here.

edit: I assume I am to change the dependency to Mainland.esm?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

If it's using Map2.esm, yes. If it's using no .esm as per MowSkowz's style, keep it that way.

And Grant.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Update!

Bloody hell permanently K.O.'d NPC! Took me forever to fix her. She slid along the floor on PC cellchange, stood upright on savegame load, and still spoke when she was dead. Fixed all that and more that I can't remember. She still falls down on savegame load but there's no way to fix that, as far as I know. See Jeela's script for details.

The rest of the quest was nice work. I solidified it, fixed a journal overflow, tweaked some dialogue and playtested it extensively but kept changes to Detinith's work to a minimum. The quest should be nearly unbreakable now. Will start working on In Love and War now, progress was slow because of too many parties and should be better now.

Couple of questions though: isn't Jeela a horrible name for an Ashlander? And Veralan Farm is marked on the map (I ShowMap it somewhere by the way) but it seems a rather irrelevant farmhouse, so shouldn't that map marker be removed? Also, whenever I save a file that is dependent on TR_Mainland.ems (latest and previous versions) the CS records (22,4) (22,2) (22,0) (22,-5) (21,-1) (21,-7) (13,21) (12,22) (11,22) and (11,21) as edited even though I've never been near them, and I have to clean my file. Is this a known bug or something weird on my side?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Jeela was just a generic Dunmer name, and then I or someone else stuck in the Ashlander history seperately. If you desire to change it, do so, but run it by me first.

Veralan Farm probably shouldn't be MapMarked, so remove that ShowMap and we'll get round to it some time. :)

The dirty cells bug is a known issue with TR. It's our equivalent of the GMSTs inherent to Morrowind.esm run alone. I don't know the tech of why it happens, but it's just a problem that seems symptomatic of .esms. You'll need to use TESAME to remove the dubious cells.

Cheers for the updates.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

edit:back in action!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Where did the action go?! Update please.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Too many parties *blushes* quest 1 fixed&finished, journals for quest 2 done. Will upload a wip once it is worth uploading.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Requesting permission to change the name of "In Love and War" to "Mixed Bouquet for a Telvanni Flower" (or something) as In Love and War is not that relevant to the content of the quest and probably better used elsewhere.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Less lengthy please, but yeah, nothing is set in stone. Change away.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Uploaded a WIP. The file is dirty, the dialogue needs a lot of polishing (in fact many entries are placeholders), I haven't playtested it yet and I know for a fact that it's broken on several places, but code-wise it's nearly complete and I've already figured out the fixes.

Quest name is now "Mixed Bouquet for a Telvanni Flower" because I don't really have inspiration to think of a shorter one. Many faction quests (with the faction name prefix) have longer names, but nevertheless, if anyone has any suggestions just throw then at me. :)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Thanks for the WIP, hope this can see completion soon.

May check it out, but I am busy-as right now with other stuff.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Unless you really have nothing to do I'd advice you not to take a look at the file since it really is broken. I posted it mainly to save my progress and show the claim was being worked on.

I'm busy with university this week (well, I should be) so expect me to finish this next week somewhere.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, sounds good.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Please revoke. I am totally out of inspiration for love stories.

Number 3 is my most recent file. I haven't playtested the latest changes, but as far as I know Save The Slave is totally finished and OK (majority of the quest was made by Detinith, I merely checked, repaired and finished it). "Mixed Bouquet for a Telvanni Flower" (if you come up with a better name feel free to change it) is actually playable, but needs dialogue fixes. In fact, I'd love to see most of the existing dialogue for that quest redone. The coding should be (almost) complete though, so it should be easy. Something to watch out for: if the quest turns up twice in the journal, delete the Title of TR_m2_Mar_LoveWar2. If not, keep it. I advice any claimant to work from my latest WIP and to playtest the quest before starting to work on it since all the scripts and dialogue results should be in place.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

revoked by request
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Claiming.

Mind if I make this my first claim? It seems like a good place to start seeing as it's only one and a half quests and I won't need any knowledge into previous quests.

First I'll sort out the dialogue Why was talking about in 'Mixed Bouquet for a Telvanni Flower' and get that all sorted. I'd quite like to change the name as well; I was think something along the lines of 'How to Win a Heart' or just 'To Win a Heart'.

Once that's done I'll start a third quest. As the last two have both been completely dialogue based I'd like to make the third include at least a little fighting. I haven't decided on any details apart from that but I'll go check out the town in game and see what I think of while finishing of the WIP quest.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. "To Win a Heart" sounds good.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Do post the design of your third quest here before starting to work on it please, and if you have any questions feel free to ask them. Good luck :D
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Thanks Why :D .

Still working on Why's quest, although I have come up with a plan for the third. However, I'll need to check out the places I plan to set it.

I'm currently improving the dialogue as per Why's instructions, consentrating on that soldier dude first, and I've changed the name.

Anyway, here's the plan for my next quest once I'm done:

Murder in the Tower (working title)

-Walking around Marog you may here rumours that there's been a murder in Tel Onoria, the tower in the centre of Marog, and here that the mage there (don't know his/her name) is furious, but that they have yet to find the culprit. Naturaly, the player should now investigate.
-You will find a small room somewhere in the tower. However, the door is locked and there is a guard guarding it. Talk to him and he will refuse to let you past, saying that this is a crime scene and that no-one is allowed past (possibly some diffirent dialogue if you are high ranked in Mainland House Telvanni).
-The player will need to do some independat investigation. Asking around you will here that the victim, Trayle Farreth, was last seen late last night. Asking witnesses will tell the player that he was very anggry when they saw him and that they thought they saw him drop something somewhere (they will give a specific location in the tower, I just need to find a suitable spot)
-If the player goes there they will find half a torn note on the ground (possible problem: will a new model be required?).
-The player can now return to the guard and present this torn note, at which point he will let you pass to see Revayle Trimoire, who is charge of the investigation
-If you speak to Revayle and show her the note she will exitedly reveal the other half of the note that she found on the dead body. She takes your piece and returns you the full note. It is a death threat warning Trayle not to return to somewhere (again, it will be specific but I need to find somewhere) on pain of death
-Asking around will tell the player where this is. Off you go.
- Arive to be attacked by some smugglers. Fight your way past a few and you will meet the leader of them who will talk to you. Asking him about Trayle's murder will make him reveal that he planted the death threat and stabbed Trayle in the tower because Trayle had been investigating the smuggling. Pressing him for why he did it and he will reveal that after planting the note he waited to see Trayle's reaction, as when he found it he was furious and went straight to see the head-mage. The smuggler leader had to stab him on the way to stop him from revealing their location, and then he moved his body to a hidden room.
-Not suprisingly he will then attack the player. Kill him and return to Revayle to receive a reward for killing the murderer (probably monetary as I have a non-monetary reward planned for To Win a Heart)

So as you can see I have the story all planned, I just need to find some locations. Finding a room shouldn't be too difficult, but for the smugglers I may have to make one as there doesn't seem to be any suitable nearby. I'll probably just stick a few tents down and some clutter if I have to make it.

Anyway, what do you think?

EDIT: No idea why the progress was at 80% when not even 2 of 3 quests are done, so I've put the progress back down to 60%.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

A murder in Tel Onoria sounds a bit implausible, smuggler ringleaders wouldn't dance around the hallways of a Telvanni Mage's tower stabbing people. Is there a house of an insignificant NPC somewhere you can use as crime scene / victim?

For the note the standard note mesh should do just fine, I believe. It's rather ragged already.

I like it. BC will have to okay these plans, so if I say I like it it doesn't mean you're good to go though, remember that ;)
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Why wrote:A murder in Tel Onoria sounds a bit implausible, smuggler ringleaders wouldn't dance around the hallways of a Telvanni Mage's tower stabbing people. Is there a house of an insignificant NPC somewhere you can use as crime scene / victim?
True, but one of the main bits of my plot is that Trayle had been poking around into something dodgy (don't read into that) and as a result received the death threat.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Definite no to Tel Onoria as a crime scene. It would probably work somewhere else in town, more or less.

Your names could do with some tweaking - they aren't quite Dunmer enough (you may have been using the TR name gen, a classic error ;)). Double r looks wrong, Trimoire is far too French. the 'ayle' suffix also sounds off.

Try Trulo Fareth and Revale Terim.

Though for the latter, couldn't you use the existing guard captain?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Definite no to Tel Onoria as a crime scene. It would probably work somewhere else in town, more or less.
Okay. I'll have a look around. The problem is I wanted there to be somewhere nearby where they will have dropped the note, and someone who saw them, so I went with the tower. I'll have a look around.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Your names could do with some tweaking - they aren't quite Dunmer enough (you may have been using the TR name gen, a classic error ;)). Double r looks wrong, Trimoire is far too French. the 'ayle' suffix also sounds off.

Try Trulo Fareth and Revale Terim.
I just made the names up myself (I decided not to use the name maker as after a bit of experimentation it gave me 'Crazy' as a name for a Nord), although you're right. I'll use your names (although to my ear 'Trulo' sounds a bit odd).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Though for the latter, couldn't you use the existing guard captain?
I wanted the investigator to be at the scene of the crime. The idea was that she would be standing over the dead body as if searching the room for clues.

I'll poke around the town and give the quest a rethink, or maybe see if I can think of something better.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

The Greatness wrote:(although to my ear 'Trulo' sounds a bit odd)
Yeah, that one's more of a Hlaalu style one. It does sound a bit odd, so feel free to tweak.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Oh, the progress was at 80% since this claim when I had it was meant to contain 2 quests. 60% sounds reasonable for three indeed.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Quick question: I notice that in Why's quest he has made a script for Ilveroth that makes him leave for his trip, and this is executed by using 'StartScript' elsewhere. How do you make sure that the script is not executed immediatly, as the script is attached to him? I also plan on adding some variables to this script, but can they be used if the script has 'not been started'?

Yeah, you say you finished the quest but the thing that takes your flowers doesn't seem to check if it's already taken that type of flower, so I'm fixing that.

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

If the script is attached to the NPC then it's a local script, so it will only run when the player is in the same or adjacent cell of the NPC. I don't know why there would be a StartScript command being used for this unless it's a global script being started on just the NPC:

Code: Select all

NPC_Name->StartScript "Script_Name"
(Just in case you didn't know. :wink:

If this is a local script we're talking about, then you can access the variables so long as the object to which the script is attached has "References Persist" checked, which is always the case with NPC's. Hope that answers your questions.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Ah, thanks, I think what I've done should be fine then. I see that StartScript is used because the script needs to be run when the PC is outside the cell.

I've finished adding the dialogue and I'm now testing it now. I'll submit a WIP when I've tested it all.

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Keep in mind that you can't use StartScript on local scripts, just to clarify.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Phew! I've finished Why's quest after numerous headaches (one caused by Why forgetting to declare doOnce... :P ). Have a WIP file on me.

Now I need to move onto my own quest. I've been thinking about where I could set it but I'll go in game now and see what I can find.

EDIT: I ought to mention that I checked it out on TESAME and found loads of changes to unnamed cells. As I didn't make this I have no idea what they are, and whether to clean them or not.