Where do you live?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Cathartis wrote:Looking at that Google maps link, the grid system of American roads disturbs me greatly.
We have a system?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I've never seen such perfectly aligned grids of roads in the UK.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Haplo wrote: We have a system?
No,but the streets of American cities are famous for crossing at 90 degrees to each other. Very different from Europe.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

its cause the majority of the cities over here were planed to some degree, versus european cities that arose though more 'natural' means.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

The roads are awful in England. Honestly, some cities in this country are a bitch to navigate.
If you read this, send 30 jelly babies to The Midlands, England. Ill collect them later.

-- meh --

Thrig - "Real men use Firefox"
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

FelixAmherst wrote:The roads are awful in England. Honestly, some cities in this country are a bitch to navigate.
You want to live in Milton Keynes?
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

MMMowSkwoz wrote: You want to live in Milton Keynes?
Watching it in Google Earth: not bad at all, and where the mythical Concert Bowl takes place.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

To be fair, I can actually tolerate the london road system as it may be packed as all hell but at least it applies common sense. Not like Redditch. Ugh... Seriously that road system (term used loosely) stinks.
If you read this, send 30 jelly babies to The Midlands, England. Ill collect them later.

-- meh --

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

If you use a car to travel London, then you're doing it wrong. Seamless tube and bus travel as soon as you step off the train from Reading as part of your train ticket ftw.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

Meh cars are fun. How can I "do it wrong" exactly? The traffic? Gives a great excuse for being late to anything. Though I do like the Tube. I find it funny when people moan about not being able to navigate the tube network... seems perfectly simple to me. English moaning about everything ftw.

-- meh --

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Only London n00bs use the t00b. Buses for the win.
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

When im in a car i hate buses. When Im in a bus I hate cars. Whatever im in I hate cyclists. Damned people need to get a car. Or use the tube or bus. Or just stay at home with their healthy bran flakes.

-- meh --

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

gro-Dhal wrote:Only London n00bs use the t00b. Buses for the win.
Man's got a point.

Why on earth anyone would choose to drive in London is beyond me. Public transport here is pretty ace, and parking must be a bitch. Of course, I walk to work so I don't really care anyway :P
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

Because cars are fun! God guys...

Anyway in the good ol' county of Worcestershire, cars are a requirement. Or a post office van.

-- meh --

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I bike in Philadelphia, its quicker than taking a car most of the time. Philly is really the reason many American cities have grid plans. When William Penn founded the city in 1682 he was trying to alleviate a lot the problems he had seen in London: overcrowding, poor health, and of course the great fire of 1666. Using a grid plan he sold lots that were widely spaced by streets, and provided and efficient means of movement. He hoped that the widely spaced houses would alleviate the health problems and fire hazards of European cities of that period. Unfortunately the people who moved from England to Philadelphia didn't keep Penn's plan in mind; they subdivided their lots further, crowded along the Delaware riverfront, ran narrow alleys between the main streets, and generally made things about as bad as they were in London. The grid's still there, but its a pain to navigate Philly with a car since the streets were never designed to carry automobile traffic, so most streets are one-way. They back up and it just becomes a pain. We have very high levels of public transit usage because of that. Most people I know will take the subway if they need to get around town.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I live in Reading, which like most large towns and cities surrounding London, is designed to keep cars as inconvenient an option as possible. There's great rail links to London and pretty much everywhere else, anyway.

I tend to walk everywhere whenever possible, but I've discovered the bus system is very good, even if it is ridiculously expensive (£1.70 for a single ticket to anywhere else in town). I should probably look at buying a bike sometime, might speed up my journey times considerably.

Tea is important.
The guar man
Developer

Post by The guar man »

Does anyone live in Canada?...since joining the project ive only seen one other
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Kristiansand, Norway - Via Manchester, England