oh crap Elder scrolls V probably won't come in 2010

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

kikai

oh crap Elder scrolls V probably won't come in 2010

Post by kikai »

just headed to the Bethesda softworks page and i saw a little thumbnail that said 'currently working on Rogue Warrior' they'll probably finish that game in 2009 (started at 2007) and tesV would probably start in 2010 and hopefully ended in late 2011,that is if they don't get distracted if you know what i mean.

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i dont see it not coming out in 2010 as a bad thing. more time to make it good, more time for us to do our thing.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
daedren
Developer

Post by daedren »

I agree, N.
-- "From the heart, the light; from the head, the law." - Excerpt from "Book of Dawn and Dusk"

-- The Elder Scrolls will become even better with Tamriel Rebuilt.

-- Thanks to Minttu Hynninen - creator of my avatar - who gave me permission to use it.
zegh

Post by zegh »

more time for me to get a decent computer :(

im still having to sit by, and not be able to play oblivion (or fo3) :(

i sold my oblivion to my brother in the end (sob) and after even longer time, i played through the main quest one week he was away, and now i miss it :(
daedren
Developer

Post by daedren »

Hey man, be cool. I only managed to get a new graphics card one year after oblivion release, so I got to wait a long time for it.
In the meantime, I dedicated myself to my well known Morrowind, the game I loved among all my others.
After I got oblivion, and after playing it for quite some time (finished all guilds and mainquest and shivering isles too) I felt a bit disappointed. Oblivion couldn't make me feel like when I was playing Morrowind.

Even now, 6 years after morrowind's release, I continue playing it. Never stopped playing since I first played the game, back in 2004.
Oblivion is cool. It's definitely worth looking - after all, it's an elder scrolls game! But if you are like me, you'll realize Morrowind is the pearl of the whole series, is the game that makes you keep playing and playing, while having always a good surprise here and there. Oh, and enjoying all the unique beautifulness, mysticism and magical setting it has to offer.

I personally love the Morrowind province. And so, I love the Morrowind game too. ;)
-- "From the heart, the light; from the head, the law." - Excerpt from "Book of Dawn and Dusk"

-- Thanks to Minttu Hynninen - creator of my avatar - who gave me permission to use it.
zegh

Post by zegh »

im definitely with you on oblivion "vs" morrowind. im probably gonna need a whole new computer, my previous graphics card burned itself, and the new one i got was actually a bit poorer.. meaning my morrowind now kinda lags and skips, which _really_ sucks.

theyre completely different worlds tho, my brother never really got involved in either of them, but by the looks of both games, he too thought morrowind definitely had a more magic and dreamy look, much more of an escape into another world (and a pretty damn VAST one too, TR included!)

oblivion was way more realistic, much more "home on earth"-ish, but with shivering isles, i almost had to shed a little tear at the gorgeousness!! :D
bamman62
Developer

Post by bamman62 »

I think they are capable of multitasking on games.

Anyway, I agree.

More Time to the next game = more time for TR to finish
Versipellis

Post by Versipellis »

"Rogue Warrior"?! How dodgy is that name...
Oh well, who am I to judge? I'm glad it'll be a while till the next game; 2010 is just too soon to have a good game ready.
I'm not trying to be a necromancer, but I'm doing a bloody good job of it... :-(
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

Bah, it will be my crappy luck that it comes out just as the next computer that I buy becomes obsolete :P. I just hope that they handle the graphics a little better than they did with Oblivion. Y' see, I have a GeForce 6800 card, and it's obvious they did not consider anyone having a card lower than a 7800, because there are few details on the ground other than that uber pixel-shaded grass (so without it, the graphics look terrible). With a card lower than a 7800, you can't get a smooth frame rate without making the grass appear only a mere 5 yards in front of you. I've also had to turn off some shadow effects as well. Bascially, I'm running the game on a card that was considered mid-range at the time, yet I have to run the game slightly below medium settings. Yay!

I've taken all kinds of approaches to help give my little system a boost including: defragging my hard drive, scan disk, defraggin and cleaning my registry, closing down everything that I can close down without destabilizing my PC, running a RAM-clearing program, removing all kinds of temporary/junk files from my PC, removing anything and everything that could be spyware (It's been a while since I've had spyware in this PC), using lower poly grass (which allowed me to move the grass slider to about half in some areas, but it still lags badly in others), and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting.

Of course, if you think that's bad, imagine how poorly Gothic III runs on my system :P. Hmmm, I ranted a lot up there... I need to get back to studying for my art final. Cya all later :P.
daedren
Developer

Post by daedren »

Hehe I have a Geforce 7600 GS, which is a poor game card too (considering the nowadays games - i don't even try to play farcry 2 or crysis or gta IV, coz I know that my card with my 5 year old pentium 4 and 1 GB RAM, I won't get a decent experience - I prefer not to play instead of being sad for not being able to run it smoothly). Thankfully, while playing oblivion don't get too much problem, not counting some occasions when i pass through more busy areas and it lags a bit (because of card in wild, or processor in cities).
But I don't have problem with Morrowind, and I thank god Morrowind is older than Oblivion, coz TES III is definitely my favourite TES game.

I'm installing oblivion now to play it a bit though - don't play it since august. Have been focusing in MW.

My wish for TES V is that it runs on Summerset Isles. It would be great :D
But I hope it doesn't come out too soon: on one hand, I want the game to be as perfect as possible; and it seems little time to accomplish that. So, bethesda, take your time, do your things as you all know to do, and bring a true TES game to us once again (although I prefer morrowind, I think oblivion was also great). On the other hand, I have more time to buy a new system (I'm not planning to buy one just as soon). So, I hope that by the time TES V comes out I already have a decent computer, capable of running it.

osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

daedren wrote:Hehe I have a Geforce 7600 GS, which is a poor game card too (considering the nowadays games - i don't even try to play farcry 2 or crysis or gta IV, coz I know that my card with my 5 year old pentium 4 and 1 GB RAM, I won't get a decent experience - I prefer not to play instead of being sad for not being able to run it smoothly).
nVidia 9800 GT here! :banana:

Seriously: considering that Far Cry is now a quite old game (it was released 2 years or so IIRC), you should be able to play it at least at 1024x768. Give it a try. If you can run Oblivion, you shouldn't have great problems with it. I'm talking about Far Cry 1 of course, don't know if you was referring to the second episode (which is more graphic demanding I guess).

About TES V, rumors says that maybe it will be set up in Skyrim.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Think of it this way. At least two more years for TR to work on Morrowind (Im forseeing the release of Map4 by then) and two more years for TR to work on Hammerfell (Hopefully Stirk will be complete, Goldmoor will be released, and possibly the release of the next chunk).
daedren
Developer

Post by daedren »

osiris wrote: Seriously: considering that Far Cry is now a quite old game (it was released 2 years or so IIRC), you should be able to play it at least at 1024x768. Give it a try. If you can run Oblivion, you shouldn't have great problems with it. I'm talking about Far Cry 1 of course, don't know if you was referring to the second episode (which is more graphic demanding I guess).

About TES V, rumors says that maybe it will be set up in Skyrim.

I was referring to the newer release, which is definitely system demanding (but as you have GF 9800 GT, you shouldn't have any problem :D).
I have never tried Far Cry 1 though, and despite being an old game now, I may give it a try (from what I know it was great at its time).

Concerning next TES setting, of course I'll be eagerly awaiting for next release, whichever province is. But if I could choose, I would definitely pick Summerset Isles, coz from what I know of it, it would give a freaking beautiful game :D. And as there were rumours in Oblivion about imperial goods being intercepted (or something like that - can't remember) in the land of the Altmer, I really thought it would be a bit like Morrowind's cyrodiil rumours.
Meh, whichever the province is, next TES game will be mine right at the release day.

Hemitheon, you're completely right.

ko2fan
Website Administrator

Re: oh crap Elder scrolls V probably won't come in 2010

Post by ko2fan »

kikai wrote:just headed to the Bethesda softworks page and i saw a little thumbnail that said 'currently working on Rogue Warrior' they'll probably finish that game in 2009 (started at 2007) and tesV would probably start in 2010 and hopefully ended in late 2011,that is if they don't get distracted if you know what i mean.
First of all, a developer as big as Bethesda will have more than 1 development team. Secondly, a year to make a game as big as Elder Scrolls? You must be nuts, it takes 2-3 years for normal games, a game the size of Elder Scrolls is more likely to take 4 or more years, they will likely have started work on it, perhaps not with a full team, but at least design wise as soon as they finished Oblivion.

They do have the advantage that the engine is done for them (they use gamebryo) but theres still a shedload of work designing, writing, and creating the game (and its tools).

Consider that fallout 3 is basically just Oblivion with guns, and that was started in 2004, and just released this year.

--
garfield
Haplo
Lead Developer

Re: oh crap Elder scrolls V probably won't come in 2010

Post by Haplo »

garfield wrote: fallout 3 is basically just Oblivion with guns
And here I was about to go buy it!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
kikai

Post by kikai »

guys, this is going off-topic in a off-topic thread lol
i think it's good, cuase i just got my new gh:wt and that keeping me for 7 more months or a year. ( cause i had gh3 since it came out, 2 years ago)
the thing is, there still going to have the same development time. and wtf? rogue warrior?

btw, garfield youre right it will probably take atleast 4 years to be good, maybe 3 to be decent.
so i expect it for 2012

oh and THE WORLD ISN'T GOING TO END IN 2012 YOU RETARDS, AND THE MAYAN CALENDER JUST NEEDS TO RESTART,IT ENDS EVERY 30,540 YEARS IIRC. SO CHILL

the more you type in caps, the smarter and correct you are.

Post by gro-Dhal »

So 2012 will be the year the dragon breaks? I'm actually cool with that.

I'll probably be too old for this shit when TES5 comes out. That's a horrifying thought.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

kikai wrote:
oh and THE WORLD ISN'T GOING TO END IN 2012 YOU RETARDS, AND THE MAYAN CALENDER JUST NEEDS TO RESTART,IT ENDS EVERY 30,540 YEARS IIRC. SO CHILL
Please don't flame people in general, no one here is a retard, no one said the world would end in 2012, and you are the only one who needs to chill.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Fallout 3 is way more than oblivion with guns. Sure it's a simple way to describe it, but it's made leaps and bounds over oblivion.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Garfield probably meant that enginewise :P
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Fallout3.ESM has a TES4 header record. :) The texture of the Moon is called Secunda. And Washington DC is in the Tamriel worldspace.

So yeah, engine-wise it is so much Oblivion with guns that they didn't bother renaming stuff.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

They didn't?
Now that is silly.
At least I can understand why they were not all that enthusiastic about releasing the GECK :P
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Gez wrote:Fallout3.ESM has a TES4 header record. :) The texture of the Moon is called Secunda. And Washington DC is in the Tamriel worldspace.
Yeah, that laziness on Beth's part is almost gobsmacking. It's kinda hard to believe, really.

(Perk benefits are also called 'Spells' by scripts)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
osiris
TR Tester

Post by osiris »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: Yeah, that laziness on Beth's part is almost gobsmacking. It's kinda hard to believe, really.

(Perk benefits are also called 'Spells' by scripts)
Really hard to believe, yes (and very funny as well, of course!). I wouldn't never have imagined that.
Harke the Apostle, Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm
My book sucks cause it´s a vampire.

Hemitheon, Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm
*sarcastic*
You know what's also popular? Enormous flying cities and ridable dragons. Maybe TR should invest in navigable ships and underwater cities.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Gez wrote:Fallout3.ESM has a TES4 header record. :) The texture of the Moon is called Secunda. And Washington DC is in the Tamriel worldspace.

So yeah, engine-wise it is so much Oblivion with guns that they didn't bother renaming stuff.
ROFLMAO

Aiwyn the Breton
Developer

Post by Aiwyn the Breton »

more time for me to get a decent computer Sad

im still having to sit by, and not be able to play oblivion (or fo3) Sad
Amen. Me too :(
Anyway, I'd really hope something like ALL Tamriel with a non-pixar-renderfarm needings. I'd like also a remake of Arena, Daggerfall and Battlespire with a >95 compatibility... ç_ç
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Now, I believe Gez was exaggerating a bit.... GECK shows no such thing as a Tamriel worldspace :P
kikai

Post by kikai »

Haplo wrote:
kikai wrote:
Please don't flame people in general, no one here is a retard, no one said the world would end in 2012, and you are the only one who needs to chill.
just in case.

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

do not pre-emptively counter conspiracy theorists and believers in the apocalypse. This may be good for sales of tin foil and bibles, but makes you seem angry and unfriendly.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

As much as I love morrowind, gameplay-wise oblivion is superior - too bad the lore/world is "fucking lazy" at best (can you think of one cool/unique thing they added to the province that wasn't already in lore? me neither).
If Morrowind had oblivion's gameplay - especially the superior inventory/combat systems, alchemy, and spellcasting - it would be a game so epically awesome that everyone's heads would implode and explode at the exact same time, resulting in absolutely no discernible damage.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-pencils-in-new-elder-scrolls-title-for-2010

this article not revealing much, but is always interesting.
Kovacius

Post by Kovacius »

Of course, when TES V comes out, people will call it "Fallout with swords".

sirwootalot123 - what version of Oblivion are you playing? The inventory system was the pits, scrolling through your stuff with only about 8 items visible at a time, and no detailed information if you hover over the items; that's one of the major gripes I had with it. Morrowind's inventory showed dozens of items at a glance, ready for easy selection, or just click a tab to bring up another category. The individual menu boxes were even resizable to your liking, although it could have been better yet if the icons were scalable (a "double size icons" checkbox would have been sufficient) for better visibility on high-res screens.

The character advancement system revolved around "perks", to the point where actual stats started to become secondary, a questionable game mechanic which Bethesda has again over-used in FO3. Alchemy annoyed me to no end in OB: the effects of your ingredients could change with the next "perk", whereas in Morrowind they didn't change, but were "unknown" until you met the requirement to see them. Enchanting was reduced to not much more than a mere "refill" ability unless you availed yourself of the University's equipment. They also went from one extreme to the other in terms of magic/alchemy/enchanting success or failure: in MW, it was difficult to get started without almost constant failures; in Oblivion failure was impossible no matter how awful you were at it.

From everything I'm hearing, FO3 fixes a lot of the more blatant issues with OB, but is still a much shorter game with less repeatability than even OB. It sounds like something I'll enjoy getting about 6 months or a year from now when it hits the $29.95 discount shelves (or 2 years when the GOTY edition includes all the expanded content for $19.99), not something I'll pay $60 for, and then set aside after a couple of weeks.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Lady Nerevar wrote:i dont see it not coming out in 2010 as a bad thing. more time to make it good, more time for us to do our thing.
I also agree, there is an awful lot to be done here, and to be honest I think Tes V could be a distraction... <<

Hell, lets just hope they take their time and work on the storyline of Tes V more than they did Tes IV. >.> *cough*

On another note, my video card sucks ass and cant even run oblivion :cry: (not to say I havent played it though), but Im getting a new comp sometime this year, (thats needs to be good enough to run intense database software), so gonna get a nice video card for myself :)
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Use [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader#Hardware]this page[/url] for reference. If you take an ATI, I'd avise something based on R600 or R700. If nVidia, GeForce 8 or 9 or 200 series.

Know that Oblivion requires PS 2.0 (but can work with 3.0 if you have them, and Oldblivion can let you play with just 1.0); and Fallout 3 requires PS 3.0. It's likely Bethesda's next game (TES5) will require PS 4.0.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Alright; Thats a helpfull page, Cheers Gez, :),

Just going offtopic quickly:

Im probably looking at either a 1GB card or two 512MB cards with SLI (raid), or possibly that... new type of 'raid'.

I'd like to put a decent amount into a good card.
wishmaster

Post by wishmaster »

I hope they could delay it as much as possible, and make a game as ground-breaking as Morrowind or Daggerfall.

I also hope they could end the series there, so it doesn't turn into cheap copies of older games.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

What I would love would be if they could re-make morrowind after that, or some of the other older elderscrolls again. (but I only really hope for morrowind, I am a morrowind child).

I think if they didn't change the diaglogue or story much or at all it could really pull off.
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
wishmaster

Post by wishmaster »

Back to text dialouges, PLEASE.
I know what were missing in TES:IV... The enormous amount of information. The land of Cyrodiil became quite boring when just hunting deers, and listening to boring (and all the same) gossip by the commoners. I really missed to ask a person "what is your background?", "Where are you from?", "Vivec", and get THOUSANDS of new topics to listen to. And all the books... Ah.

I'm seriously considering to start a sociology (or social/political science) project to analyze the world of Morrowind, because I think that game must have the best constructed viritual society ever.
Chin Music
Developer

Post by Chin Music »

Unfortunately I think text dialogue is something that's circling the drain. Full voice acting has come to be expected of many games and Bethesda are no exception.

Oblivion reused most of the Morrowind/Daggerfall books, and generally didn't include much of a background for the world you were in. It's not like Cyrodiil is inherently uninteresting, it just lacked that level of lore. Reedin is hard.

From Bethesda, I don't think it's likely we'll see the same level of immersion as Morrowind again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Oblivion, but in a very different way.

Oh and as for stuff I'd like to see, I'd like to see Bethesda finally hire some decent animators.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Hehe, you chose a fitting name, wishmaster. That's a lot of wishful thinking, as I'm sure you know those things aren't going to happen. It's not how capitalism works. They made a lot of profit on Oblivion and they will make sure they keep doing that. Probably by tailoring their games to appeal to the mass of mainstream gamers who are all between 13 and 21 years old and have an attention span of 15 seconds. Seeing a paragraph of dialogue would probably scare the shit out of them. :P

That said, I don't think 'information' is what makes us immerse in a game. A gameworld can be rich without having a load of 'information' on it. A rich atmosphere and a good storyline will immerse a player just fine.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]