College

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

College

Post by Lady Nerevar »

I'm not going to be as active as usual up till around January since i need to focus all my energies to finishing my portfolio so i can really start the application process. atm im planing to spend around 2 hours per day just drawing stuff, which doesn't leave me with as much time for TR.

Ill still be around at every opportunity. atm my main priority is getting out an updated hammerfell OoT and play testing Stirk (i hope to do that today).

wish me luck!
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
fstony
Developer

Post by fstony »

Best of luck. Will you be claiming your co-leadership of TR on your applications?
"There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know."
â€â€￾ W.E.B. DuBois
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

...yes :P i did it on my resume earlier in the year, and everyone was quite impressed. i guess something about "In charge of quality assurance, organization, public relations, advertisement, and recruitment of new workers, as well as 2D and 3D graphics work and level design" sounds pretty damn good :D
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Good luck, Lady N, though I don't think you'll need it.

Sidebar: How funny. I was just about to post that I would be cutting back on TR time this semester as well.
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

Hmmm, maybe I should put my old TR work on my resume. So far, I only have my undergrad. research and my undergrad. TA experience listed under the "job experience" section. :P Then again, "making sure the reviewers don't fuck up" might not look so good as the job description that I typically give for the HoR position :P.

Good luck with your college application stuff :).
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Good luck with your applications
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Good luck with it all :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Any chance you could be recruiting some of your classmates? :slavedriver: :slavedriver: :slavedriver: :banana:
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Good luck!
Which kind of studies are you doing?
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Good luck, Lady N.
michaleson
Developer

Post by michaleson »

Good luck.
31 Aprroved Ints
http://michaleson.mybrute.com
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Nemon wrote:Any chance you could be recruiting some of your classmates?
several of them have dropped by here... acting immaturely most of the time :P my freind Happy is on IRC all the time, though he doesnt really do anything. one of my other friends i recruited as a part time playtester.
Im going into Illustration :) hoping to go to MICA, right here in Baltimore. Also applying to Pratt Institute, PrattMWP, School of Visual Arts(where an old friend of mine attends), and Deleware College of Art and Design (where my best friend is going).
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Anything outside of Maryland? Besides the Delaware school.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

both pratts and SVA are in NY.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Lady Nerevar wrote:
Im going into Illustration :) hoping to go to MICA, right here in Baltimore. Also applying to Pratt Institute, PrattMWP, School of Visual Arts(where an old friend of mine attends), and Deleware College of Art and Design (where my best friend is going).
Aah, art! I like art. Good luck Lady N. Oh, and don't worry, I think we'll be able to take care of ourselves until January. :wink:
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Awesome, I have a friend at SVA, but she is about to graduate soon. Good luck on your portfolio!
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

hey guys, just a little update. you may have noticed that i havent been on here the last few days, thats cause ive been banned from the computer after missing a deadline. for now im writing on the laptop while mom's away. im hoping that i'll be done with this by the weekend (packing everything today, then need to make CDs) and then ill be back and better than ever.

a little update: the colleges to which i plan to apply seemed to like the portfolio i showed them at portfolio day. DCAD and PrattMWP already accepted it and MICA said it is accepteable (the guy seemed to give me 10s on the scale) but said that they would like to see a few more observation pieces.

ok, over and out!
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Lady Nerevar wrote:hey guys, just a little update. you may have noticed that i havent been on here the last few days, thats cause ive been banned from the computer after missing a deadline. for now im writing on the laptop while mom's away. im hoping that i'll be done with this by the weekend (packing everything today, then need to make CDs) and then ill be back and better than ever.

a little update: the colleeges to which i plan to apply seemed to like the portfolio i showed them at portfolio day. DCAD and PrattMWP already accepted it and MICA said it is accepteable (the guy seemed to give me 10s on the scale) but said that they would like to see a few more observation pieces.

ok, over and out!
Sounds good, Lady N. :)
Good luck, I hope everything works out good. One of my brothers is doing pretty much the same thing right now, so I have an idea whats going on for you.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Lady Nerevar wrote:both pratts and SVA are in NY.
Awesome! pick one of those and I'll see you in the fall.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

That's great, portfolio days are really great, one of the few events where you can really get some tips from the actual schools on what to do/work on. If it is possible, I recommend you visit any of the campuses you are interested in, and possibly get a tour of it or going during an Open House day. After that, I recommend you really talk to some of the students who go there and are in the program you want to take and see what they say/think. Try some online art communities like ConceptArt.org in the Education section and look for threads about the school, or just post and ask peoples opinion.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

OH OH check out UArts, Tyler, and the Academy in philly. They're all rather good for art I believe.

I used TR to flesh out my extra-curricular activities for my college apps as well.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

much too late to be checking anything else out :P

ive updated my [url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=189437]maj portfolio[/url] some, feel free to check it out. i wonder how the average person photographs theirs? i use studio lights and my point-and-shoot plus photoshop retouching...
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

It looks really good. :)
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

[url=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ladynerevar/Portfolio/10.jpg]Referring to this:[/url]

Nice work on the head. Looks like plenty of time was spent on the tones and look of the face, and the work on the hair is fantastic. But then my eyes are inexorably pulled down, to the somewhat muddled clothing, and I'm instantly thrown out of the work. I would certainly do some more work on the clothing, because I think it really does disrupt an otherwise superb piece.

Also, note that I post this having only seen the work through that scan/pic/whatever (obviously). I've noticed that during the transition to digital, things can get befuddled. So if my critique is inaccurate, pay it no mind. :)
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I had a studio art teacher who helped me put together my portfolio. I've found that they look more at the content than the way you scanned it.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Anvil looked a bit out of perspective, but good art anyways.

Wish ya luck.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Nice pictures, especially the first one with the 2 persons.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Very impressive. I wish I could draw portraits like that. :)
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

the black and white ones (like the portrait) are harder to edit than the color ones for some reason. the light is never consistent and theres always a damn blurry gray corner not matter what i do :/ i do agree that i could do more on the sweater (push the blacks, mainly) but i think part of it is the way i photographed it.

tyrion: i tried to get my photo teacher to help me, but even with her help and professional setup we spent 45 minutes photographing one piece that even then did not turn out perfect. neither of us had the time to devote to getting it as perfect as it needs to be. i since they said that my portfolio was acceptable last time around i hope that they really will pay attention more to content than to presentation.

i am SOOO ready for all this to be over. i wish that i had decided that i was going to go into art sooner so that i could have spent decent time and presented nothing but my best work, not 90% of what i have. i can do better than this, and i have been doing better than this, but its too little too late.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Yeah, just don't worry so much you! When they look at portfolios they're looking at the content and the apparent skill of the artist, not at how good of a scanner they happen to have access to. Making it look professional is a plus don't get me wrong, but if you're a good artist and you can demonstrate that to them somehow, then that's what counts.

When I put together my portfolio for photography we had to include matted prints too. XD

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Aigh guys, had another bout of inactivity lately. MICA sent me a huge package of scholarship applications so i had to sift through those collecting materials and writing essays. took a while and lead to a whole new set of arguments with parents, but that too seems to be over now.

i ended up applying to PrattMWP, DCAD, and MICA. i got into all three :D we were especially happy about MICA since its a prestigious school and my first choice. hopefully we can find the money, since i would be able to stay right here, get an excellent education, AND do internships in one of the many game design firms in the area (Bethesda included ;))

Anyways, unless something pops up again im full force till may (when APs start off the exam season).

I'll take the rest of the week getting back, if theres something you want answered, reviewed, looked at, answered, etc. just tell me and ill be happy to handle it :)
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Lady Nerevar wrote:since i would be able to stay right here, get an excellent education, AND do internships in one of the many game design firms in the area (Bethesda included ;))
Are you actually going to try to do that (The Bethesda part)? Because if so, do try to make sure they don't screw up TESV (More). :D

But, big congrats Lady N. :D
Lady Nerevar wrote:I'll take the rest of the week getting back, if theres something you want answered, reviewed, looked at, answered, etc. just tell me and ill be happy to handle it :)
Oh right, you can probably take my OoT claim out of pending (ie, deny it). I already have enough stuff to do, so I may do it later assuming nobody else claims it.
I still blame bamman for making me do it.

EDIT: But heck, while your at it, do you have anything else for me to do? :P I love doing stuff when I'm given the orders. :)
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yep, totally cereal about the Bethesda part. i believe you dont get college internships until junior year, so any work i do would be on TESVI, what ever beth publishes next, or maybe in their online division. there's two Bethesdas around here, one in Hunt Valley and the other in Rockville. Hunt Valley made F03 and is much closer to where i live, Rockville is responsible for ES and is down in Virginia (around an hour drive)

i could also try applying independantly, but im not sure they would take a 18 year old strait out of highschool, even though i do know more about the elderscrolls than them :P jk, maybe they are reading this <_<
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

The last few posts included way too many smileys. I got a seizure (sp?). Congrats Lady N!!!
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Nemon wrote:The last few posts included way too many smileys. I got a seizure (sp?). Congrats Lady N!!!
Hah, I didn't even notice how many I used/quoted. :P
Lady Nerevar wrote:even though i do know more about the elderscrolls than them jk, maybe they are reading this <_<
And thats probably true...
Just make sure you eventually take care of the guys that messed up oblivion.

Oh, did you put TR on your applications?
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Congratz, hope it will be everything you ever wanted. That is excited about being able to intern at Bethesda, I would love an opportunity like that. In a year or so however I probably will be applying there(as well as many other places) for a job.

Hope it all goes well for you, and have fun too!
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Congratulations Lady N. :) I'm not all too familiar with the American schooling system so I don't know how hard it is to get accepted, but I'm sure it's quite a relief that you can go to the college of your choice.
Last edited by Myzel on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Sounds cool, especially the MICA and bethasda part!
We'll see what happens.
I wonder if you reside on your new school, we'll see you much around here.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Congrats, Lady N. I hope the Bethesda plan works out too.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Wow, I just realized that if I actually manage to get a job there in the future we might actually be working together, how weird would that be lol. But that is reading way to far into the future and is something that is fairly unlikely I think.