Map 3 NPC Claim #5 [Bloodthirsty Crustacean]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

The shack's been used by the Meralag smuggling quest.

On Ashlanders versus Imperial, I was thinking of something with multiple paths - Imperial accuses Ashlanders of robbery, speaking to them and they say it couldn't have been them, who to believe, etc. Needs some fleshing out, obviously (e.g. what stolen, who's the real culprit, etc.)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

So... is Yeti working on this in some way? Fleshing the quests out? Or is BC implementing them? Just checking up.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Truthfully, I haven't thought about this since the last time I posted here but I suppose I can try to build something concrete off of BC's general idea.

To make my last quest idea less of a "go there and kill some dudes" quest you could add in a request by the former cultist to convince a friend of his to join him in leaving the cult.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'm waiting for 2 simple quest plans for Darnim, to implement and then be finished with.

Yeti, I don't really like Daedric Cult use here, I think they're overused. I suppose if nothing else comes up I'd use your most recent one just in its simplest form.

And yeah, general request for plannery from anyone with ideas. I just about have time to make quests, but not for planning and wotnot, which I'm just not good at. Sorry.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Fair enough :mrgreen:

I'll try to come up with something latter today
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Here's an idea I thought up.

Mahhjat, the slave of trader Fari Niernis, is given a lot of responsibility by his master. He recently sold some beverages to the owner of The Windbreak Hostel, Charna gra-Mohl. Unfortunately he mixed up the drinks with a shipment of spoiled ones. He doesn’t want to tell this to Charna gra-Mohl because he is afraid of her famous temper and also doesn’t want Fari Niernis to find out about his blunder. Instead he wants the Player to go to the Windbreak Hostel and find the crate of spoiled drinks and switched them with the right ones. The player will be told that there are seven drinks to replace but will only find six in the chest. When the player returns to Mahhjat he will come to the conclusion that the last one must have already been sold and suggest the player ask the guests of the Windbreak Hostel about it. The player will find out that Tertitius Panelus bought the spoiled drink to enjoy with his dinner. The player can either ask Tertitius Panelus to exchange it for another one (causing him to complain to Charna gra-Mohl) or sneakily take it from beside his plate and replace it.

Question: For the Imperials vs Ashlanders; are there any particular Imperials you had in mind for using, BC? I have a general idea forming about this quest but can't find who to use for the Imperial side.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I like the first one, though can we get out of the cliché 'swap the items' element, or is that just necessary. I'm down with it if it is.

For Imps v. Ashlanders, it was just 'an Imperial', not 'the Imperials'. That guy on the docks thinks they crossed him, they didn't, or maybe they did, etc.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Well I suppose it wouldn't be necessary. Mahhjat is a Khajiit after all, so I guess not being honest about the situation wouldn’t be far from his nature. :P

Thanks for clearing that up about the Imperial BC. Is it alright if I put in some smuggling elements? Smuggling seems to be prominent in the area.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hi BC! Could you, in the script TR_m3_dwepuzlev41, change the following line

Code: Select all

if movefrom > 3
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr31.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr31.moveto + 1 )
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr40.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr40.moveto + 1 )
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr41.moveto + 1 )
			set moveto to moveto - 4.0
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_golever.collapse to 1
		endif
to

if movefrom > 3
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr31.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr31.moveto + 1 )
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr40.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr40.moveto + 1 )
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto + 1 )
			set moveto to moveto - 4.0
			set TR_m3_dwepuz_golever.collapse to 1
		endif
please? It's a typo that causes block 42 to collapse after 41 collapses no matter what state 42 was in before. Not a really pressing matter as the puzzle works without this fix, but such a beautiful puzzle shouldn't have such an annoying error in it.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Both those blocks are the same, I think.

And Yeti, I'm sorry, I meant literally not have the physical act of the player swapping things. The story is fine, just the player actually having to do that gets quite old.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

There's a difference, the first block reads "set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr41.moveto + 1 )", the second reads "set TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto to ( TR_m3_dwepuz_cr42.moveto + 1 )". It's on line 62. Apologies, I wasn't clear enough the first time.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Both those blocks are the same, I think.

And Yeti, I'm sorry, I meant literally not have the physical act of the player swapping things. The story is fine, just the player actually having to do that gets quite old.
I see. Well regardless just handle it whatever way you see fit :D
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

How's this?

Marcu Reptus is a drifter in Darnim. He had been on his way to Old Ebonheart when he’d gotten hopelessly lost in the wilderness. Hannab and Sassanibat, two Ashlanders living in the area found him lying on the ground unconscious, after apparently being attacked by a wild animal. Being of a more peaceful disposition than most Ashlanders they brought him back to their yurt to nurse back to health. However while they were out hunting Marcus woke up and -thinking he’d been kidnapped by savages- fled, leaving many of his possessions behind. When the PC meets him in Darnim Marcus will ask the player to retrieve his belongings from the “savagesâ€Â￾ who he’d “escapedâ€Â￾ from. The player will travel to the Ashlander yurt and the Ashlanders will explain what really happened. They will agree to hand over Marcus’s belongings if the player retrieves an Ashlander healing amulet that Marcus accidentally took in his flight. The player can either accept to do this or simply take back Marcus’s stuff by force. If the Player chooses the peaceful solution he/she will return to Marcus and explain to him what happen. Marcus won’t buy the Ashlanders’ story but will give up the amulet anyway. The player will then return to the yurt and exchange goods with Hannab and Sassanibat. The PC will then return Marcus’s possessions to him; he’ll then be grateful and reward the player somehow.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sounds perfect.

I'll get to work on these two when I next have time. Not this week, certainly. Unfortunately these have come up just as my holidays have ended.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Do you happen to have a newer version? I only ask because mine is like two months old and starting to gather cobwebs :-(

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

In all likelihood that is the most recent version.

My life is fiendishly busy right now, I will try and get those Darnim quests wrapped up when I have chance, then this is finished. Not too much work, it's just a question of having an afternoon free.

In fact, when Captain is promoted for quests I would advocate having him finish these two off, as the only things in Unclaimed Quests are Telvanni. Far better (and more efficient, as this is a more pressing release) to have him do this.

He can work from the latest uploaded file.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Sorry to hear that you're so busy BC. :(

I'm trying to learn how to script but it's not going too well :?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:In all likelihood that is the most recent version.

My life is fiendishly busy right now, I will try and get those Darnim quests wrapped up when I have chance, then this is finished. Not too much work, it's just a question of having an afternoon free.

In fact, when Captain is promoted for quests I would advocate having him finish these two off, as the only things in Unclaimed Quests are Telvanni. Far better (and more efficient, as this is a more pressing release) to have him do this.

He can work from the latest uploaded file.
Cool. But... don't let that keep you from doing work where you can :-P

Captain
Developer

Post by Captain »

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yup, those two. Good luck!
Captain
Developer

Post by Captain »

I'm terribly sorry if it seems I'm taking too long. My life had become quite unexpectingly busy recently too.

A few things though to ask though. Firstly, is there anyone who knows a way to make a journal update is more than one character dies?

And secondly, when it comes to the thing where you need to replace six of the bottles, I need to know how to make is so a journal updates when there are no spoiled bottles in the crate, but there are six of the normal ones. I've tried using "GetItemCount" but that doesn't seem to be working.

Apart from those problems, I am almost done! So, yeah, if anyone can help me it'd be much appreciated.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Don't worry, take your time. I've been working on the Marog misc quests for about two months now, we're all busy.

For replacing the bottles, you should take a look at the vanilla galbedirDesk, ajiraScript and Ajira's "fake soul gem" dialogue, that should get you on the right track.

For the killing of multiple NPCs, try this. Assuming the journal index where they're all dead is 80...

if OnDeath                               ;if Ashlander 1 dies
 if ( GetDeadCount Ashlander2 > 0 )      ;if Ashlander 2 is already dead
  if ( GetJournalIndex yourquest > 0 )   ;if you've started the quest
   if ( GetJournalIndex yourquest < 80 ) ;if you haven't had the journal entry yet
    Journal yourquest 80                 ;update the journal.
   endif...
Add that to the script of your first ashlander, and add the same lines (except referring to your first ashlander in line two) to your second ashlander's script. The journal should update once the last ashlander dies.

If you need a more detailed explanation just ask for it, but I think this should get you underway. Yay for progress!
Captain
Developer

Post by Captain »

Why, you're fantastic. Thank you very much.

I am finished (as far as I know anyway) and I have just a few problems.

Firstly, I am no interior designer, but I am perplexed at a certain container in my quest. There is a wine container in my question (obviously) and I have set the wine container to the ownership of Charna gro-Mohl. For some reason, though, she doesn't seem to mind you helping yourself to whatever you find inside. It works for Tertitius Panelus' wine, but not for the wine container.

Secondly, I was trying to get Tertitius to move closer to the table in the middle of his room so he could eat his dinner, but for some reason the script wouldn't work (it's in the esp, and I have removed the script from the NPC for the time). When the script is on the NPC and is activated, he'd just freeze in the spot forever, even when you steal the bottle.

Thirdly, it's the Khajiit's use of pronouns. I rarely use Khajiit in my quests so I've no idea how their dialogue works. In Mahhjat's dialogue, I have used no pronouns, becuase that's sort of how they speak in the actual game (to my knowledge, anyway). It seems unnatural to me, though. Yeah, so if that's not how they speak, then yeah, I'm stupid but I would like a helping hand.

So any assistance would be most welcomed as always, and here is the upload. Dun Dun DUUUUN!!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I checked it for you, and when I try to steal the wine the Orc happily slaps me with a giant hammer so there's nothing wrong.

The imperial's script was bugged because his AIPackage got reset every frame. You should add a GetAIPackage check if you want it to work. On the other hand, AITravel is one of those functions that go wrong often, so my advice would be to omit it altogether.

Couple of remarks, it's very hard to steal the wine from the crate unnoticed. I'd like it if the crate was moved to the basement (change "What are you talking about? All the wine here is perfectly fine!" to include the location of the wine crate, be creative, maybe throw in a joke, the Orc would obviously defend the *cough* perfect conditions in which she stores her wine). Secondly on opening the crate I'd like to see a journal update indicating the player should replace the six spoiled wines with six regular ones and return to the Khajiit, I got a little lost here.

I'm not too familiar with Khajiit-speak. I'd say it's fine the way you wrote it, but since this one uses rather regular speech in his other entries it might be a good idea to use "I" a bit more often.

Anyway, solid work, if you're ready just ask if it can be sent to review. :)
Captain
Developer

Post by Captain »

Here it is then. I fixed the errors Why pointed out and went through a very quick playtest. I think it's ready though.

So let the reviewing begin!!!
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Does this mean A5 is done with NPCing?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

BC did the NPCs et cetera, and Captain finished the last few quests, so unless BC still wants to add something I think this is finished, yes.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I think I had Mahhjat speak in more educated tones, with less of the whole third person thing. That should be corrected one way or the other. I don't know if maybe I prefer him third-person?

There were a few minor typos, not enough to warrant me correcting and posting a new file. The reviewer can do that.

On one tonal note, I'd say Mahhjat should be "irritated", not "very angry" that Charna has found out - we don't want it to seem like a riot's going to break out, more like a telling off. Your dialogue conveys this just fine.

Structurally, the player is perhaps bossed around by the journal too much for my liking ("I should go to Mahhjat"), but that's something you can work on. For miscs, I can deal with it.

Good work. Yeah, this is finished once it gets a dialogue review from someone with an eye for spelling.

Oh! One other thing - go to the Details view in Data Files, some reviewer, sort by 'Deleted' and 'Ignore' all the deleted entries (press delete on them). Then re-save the file. Those are dirty entries, handily marked for deletion.

Oh! And also, I don't have the latest Data 'cos of Uni download limits, but are those Indoril commoner's shirts in now? Because there're a few topless people in Meralag who need them.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Awesome! Moved to Reviewing; I'll go over this and check the dialogue and do the things mentioned in BC's post.

PS The shirts aren't in because they need GND (ground) meshes or icons or something.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Approved!

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Haplo, GND meshes were included in the .zip says Peterboy, and Kiteflyer provided the icons way back. So looks like everything's ready for them to be included.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Here's a final version with people in Meralag at last wearing the right clothes.

Unfortunately it seems that at some point prior to Finalisation all my careful work on region painting has been lost, apart from the Inner Sea, so it will have to be redone later by someone else.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That's no problem, it'll probably be easier/better to do once we merge it all together anyway.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Fixes some minor landscaping issues I missed back when I had this claim, mostly some rough land issues.

EDIT: Fixed a few more. So sorry.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP
(4.7 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

In the future you need to fix all of your errors BEFORE it is submitted to review, not AFTER it has been approved. Future files you submit in such a manner may be ignored at my discretion.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I understand. Still, I was surprised they weren't noticed.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Today's dose:

4/22/2011 (14:09) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling TR_m3_Mahhjat00000000 Darnim, Fari Niernis: Trader 4187 4287 14766 "dialogue HELP A POOR KHAJIIT: it's 'grateful' not 'greatful'"

Also, NPC TR_m3_Mahhjat dialouge "help a poor Khajiit" typo: "he put in delivery": I think it's a "she" not a "he".

4/22/2011 (16:20) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_gl_12 Wilderness (24,-18) 201781 -142203 481 "floaterz"

4/22/2011 (16:20) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_gl_01 Wilderness (24,-18) 201908 -140668 405 "floater"

4/22/2011 (16:20) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling Terrain_rocks_GL_03 Wilderness (24,-18) 197554 -140164 610 "floater"

4/22/2011 (16:22) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_gl_05 Wilderness (24,-18) 201750 -140673 351 "floater"

4/22/2011 (16:24) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_wickwheat_03 Wilderness (25,-17) 208253 -138199 76 "Endless fields of nothing. There ARE some leveled critters around, but not too often, and leveled critters are not enough to make this interesting IMHO. Add some roamer camps? Permacorpses? A mini-Daedric ruin?"

4/22/2011 (16:24) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_wg_12 Wilderness (25,-19) 210611 -154155 -881 "bad ground tex transition to the east of this rock"

4/22/2011 (16:25) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_wg_08 Wilderness (25,-19) 212354 -154953 1023 "bad ground tex transition near this rock"

Script TR_m3_q_A5_SmugglerNote line 6 is buggy: it should be GetJournalIndex.

4/22/2011 (19:27) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling Terrain_rocks_WG_02 Wilderness (22,-22) 180968 -178013 215 "slight caspering (look from northwest)"

4/22/2011 (19:28) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_tree_ai_01 Wilderness (22,-22) 180841 -178862 571 "floats"

4/22/2011 (19:28) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling TR_Flora_treeoak_FZ1a Wilderness (21,-23) 174684 -181988 854 "ground tex mismatch near this tree"

4/22/2011 (19:31) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_bc_tree_05 Wilderness (22,-20) 183324 -162349 1588 "cloggy terrain next to this tree. might be intention though"

4/22/2011 (19:31) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_bc_10 Wilderness (22,-20) 184153 -158190 1107 "floaters"

4/22/2011 (19:31) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_bc_10 Wilderness (22,-19) 182004 -154502 726 "floater"

4/22/2011 (19:32) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling Terrain_rocks_WG_03 Wilderness (22,-19) 187356 -152391 934 "ground tex mismatch here"

4/22/2011 (23:20) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_tree_gl_02 Wilderness (24,-20) 198520 -156709 1694 "ugly tex mismatch near this tree (east of it)"

4/22/2011 (23:33) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_wickwheat_04 Wilderness (24,-19) 203391 -147910 786 "high floater is high"

4/22/2011 (23:39) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_wg_16 Wilderness (22,-23) 185733 -186307 156 "ugly ground tex change here"

4/22/2011 (23:40) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling flora_tree_ai_02 Wilderness (22,-23) 184501 -187154 837 "part of the roots float. might be intentional, though i doubt it"

4/22/2011 (23:40) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling Terrain_rocks_AI_01 Wilderness (22,-23) 182788 -188077 654 "float"

4/22/2011 (23:41) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A5.ESP 4/22/2011 (13:19) skraeling terrain_rock_wg_09 Wilderness (21,-23) 172294 -185066 858 "gigafloater"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

arvisrend wrote:Today's dose:
What, specifically, should be "GetJournalIndex"? That "if"?

Also, Mahhjat is male.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Haplo wrote:
arvisrend wrote:Today's dose:
What, specifically, should be "GetJournalIndex"? That "if"?
The "if journal ..." should be an "if GetJournalIndex ..." (sorry, I don't have the CS open right now).
Haplo wrote:Also, Mahhjat is male.
But he is not talking about himself in third person. Or is he?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Awesome. It now reads:

Begin TR_m3_q_A5_SmugglerNote

; note found in Mansurabi, South Tunnels. Updates Journal.

If ( Player->GetItemCount TR_m3_iounote >= 1 )
	if ( GetJournalIndex TR_m3_Me_Truth == 20 )
		Journal TR_m3_Me_Truth 30
	endif
Endif

End
As for Mahhjat, I'm not sure what you mean. I only checked to see whether he was male or female because you mentioned "he" should be "she" and assumed you meant he was referring to himself as the opposite sex. I'll go back and look.