Map 3 NPC Claim #5 [Bloodthirsty Crustacean]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Because then it would probably be "Meralag Market" since that's the market's name. I don't think the market is named, so its just the town's market.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

"at Meralag market" makes it sound like the name is "Meralag Market" when it's just the market at Meralag. It's a difference between adding it as a proper noun or not. Technically any shop could be a market at Meralag, so if you're saying "Meralag market" you need to know "which market?" It just sounds better, too. You'll never hear anyone say "I'm going to store", they always say "I'm going to the store"
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Juvol Andres refers to himself as Juvol in "someone in particular". He could probably use unique dialogue here?

edit: Also, I found some errors in a couple of Meralag interiors, would it be okay to report them here or are those fixed in a different process?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Report them using the beta comments feature here.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

I know its a little late, but I've taken a look over this claim around the borders matching mine and on intial inspection there are a good few cells that could definetly use some redo-ing.

I counted at least a dozen texture seems in 18,-21 (and surrounding cells), along side of some bad shaidng on one small edge, I'm not sure how those were missed :?

Several small shading problems along between 21,-21:-20

And some of the coastline cells have a weird blue shading around rocks (instead of just brown) and missed ocean green/blue shading to the plants, which is a tad odd.

This isnt a stab at anyone, I'm just reporting errors that I see within this claim.
Eitherway I'd be happy to fix these problems myself and do the border joining between cells once the NPC claim is finished on this claim and my own.

Thanks, Relinq.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Hap, the dialogue you see here is all there is, don't worry about Helnim-esque levels. :P This is effectively a finished claim, but I'm doing quests now as per the new system.

The "honour" in my trade is in Data, as is one of the "whilst"s; you can fix that when you upload the Indoril clothes and give House Indoril its ranks. :D

What is the problem with "whilst" anyway? Nevertheless, they're all gone.

Anyway, here's a fixed file. I can't fix any dialogue errors you don't report or I don't stumble upon.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Haplo wrote:"at Meralag market" makes it sound like the name is "Meralag Market" when it's just the market at Meralag. It's a difference between adding it as a proper noun or not. Technically any shop could be a market at Meralag, so if you're saying "Meralag market" you need to know "which market?" It just sounds better, too. You'll never hear anyone say "I'm going to store", they always say "I'm going to the store"
"Going to market" is normal though. Is that not grammatical in yankee speak?
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

not at all you speak madness
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Good work BC, I'm going to have a looky-loo tomorrow at your handy work :)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:..give House Indoril its ranks. :D..
Finally the contriversal topic re-arrises from the dead!...and like what was said in the IRC the other day... "dun Dun DUN"

But in all seriousness, that is a topic in great need of discusion.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

No discussion is needed, the ranks are around somewhere. And in any case I believe I recall they're the exact same as Hlaalu and Redoran, except with Grand Ascendant at the top.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

@gro-Dhal, such a thing does not happen in the conversations US-English speaking nations

@BC, whilst is romantic and outdated, neither of which is Morrowind

RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

@BC, really? I would have thought the Indoril would prefer their own ranking system, butokay, I guess that clears that up my question anyway.

@Haplo & BC, I think even I used the word 'whilst' in my dialogue for my quest showcase im working on, but I can understand why it shouldnt be used, unless the NPC is like a nobel, the word sounds a bit to 'educated' for most average npcs.

Also besides reviewing, im curious, what will happen to this claim next? My only concern Is It still needs to under-go some detailing again in parts.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I dunno maybe we'll let you do it if you're nice

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

First quest completed, tested, uploaded.

Still need another small'un in Meralag, and two in Darnim.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

If you accept the Athryil's quest and refuse to help Veros, the Altmer will tell you to send Veros away, yet Veros won't talk to you.

Also, you've got a nice thing going on with the Khajiits in Tiranshiha. I can't seem to figure out how their "control" variables are set to 1 though.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Thanks for the bugcheck.

The Khajiit are waiting to be activated by a future quest. I had in mind that it would be a faction quest, can't quite remember right now.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'm still checking out the other bits of the quest, I meant to do it quicker but I got lost in the Test of Disorder in Ardkoz, sorry, I fear I have a short attention-span ;) I was wondering where that cart next to the chest came from so I decided to explore the caverns.

Edit: Some more, when you find the note in the damaged chest, you get a journal update once you take it out of the chest, and another one (which I assume is the same one since no new entry appears in your journal) when you exit menumode.

I think it's very hard to find the bag of ebony in the goblin's lair, perhaps it would be best to move it to the final room since that's where players will be going, or make it stand out more somehow. It took me a good 15 mins to find it after I killed the goblins, in the end I had to look it up in the CS. It might just be that I'm sloppy in searching but I bet there are others like me. Also it might be a good idea to leave a goblin sword or shield or something at the Damaged Chest so the player knows he should look for the goblin encampment. The caves are huge, so it'll be a bit easier if you know you need to find goblins.

TR_m3_Me_Truth_b 50, you tell the player to walk east from the signpost before the bridge. In fact players should follow the mud trail that begins east of this signpost, and leads south.

It's possible to give the ebony to Athryil before talking to Veros, after which Veros will still tell you to deliver it to Athryil and ask for the name of his contact. Not a big issue though, this happens all the time in the vanilla quests.

Do you still need plans for the other quests?

Second edit: TR_m3_q_A5_SmugglerScript, two small issues. First, you use control to ensure the journal is set only once after your NPC has died, this is unnecessary because OnDeath returns 1 for only one frame. Second, if GetJournalIndex TR_m3_Me_Truth_b < 50 the NPC this script was added to is disabled every frame, since there's no check if he is disabled or enabled. Might cause minor lag on old machines. I suggest changing it in the following way:

Code: Select all

short NoLore

if ( OnDeath == 1 )
	Journal TR_m3_Me_Truth_b 70
endif

if ( GetDisabled == 1 )
	if ( GetJournalIndex TR_m3_Me_Truth_b >= 50 )
		enable
	endif
else
	disable
endif

if ( TR_Map == 3 )
(Whew, this really feels like I'm telling my boss he's doing a bad job, which totally isn't the case. Sorry about that.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Thanks for the comprehensive test! :) And don't worry about pointing out mistakes, it's always helpful.

Although, your last script wouldn't quite work as intended because of the else statement. Instead I added in a further if check over the whole block, for (GetJournalIndex TR_m3_Me_Truth_b < 60), which saves that processing power later on, but doesn't require restructuring the whole script.

Anyway, thanks very much. And yes, I still do need plans (2 Darnim, 1 Meralag). The sooner the better really if anyone's offering, as holidays are fast running out. I have something vaguely in mind for Darnim involving the 'Ashlander' encampment out to the east, another 'two way' job with accusations of thievery from the ignorant Imperial dockworker. Haven't fleshed out the skeleton yet though.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

How's this going BC? It needs to be done soon!!!

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

No progress due to intense levels of uni work, and my inability to plan quests. If I could be provided with plans, I might get some work done before this term is out.

In any case, this isn't the bottleneck: the entire rest of Map 3 is. :P

If necessary I could drop this for another quester to take over.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Nay, I just want an approved standard for everyone else to follow; many of the other detailing claims are about to be opened up for NPCs and whathaveyou.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Hey BC, since you need some quest ideas, I thought I'd try my hand at writing a very basic one for Merelag:

Lleresia Himnu has seen an amulet at Merelag's market that she want's very much. Unfortunately she is on very bad terms with the trader selling it, Dravayn Eluvel. She is willing to pay the the player to buy it for her. The player then goes to buy it. However when the player asks Dravayn Eluvel about it, he/she is told that it has already been sold to Mira Lrietha. The player can then either return to Lleresia to tell her that it's already been bought and the quest ends there, or he/she can steal the amulet from Mira Lrietha's house and then bring it to Lleresia.

If this one stinks I'll gladily keep thinking some more up to help out :wink:
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I'm doing a map 3 createmaps run tonight. Have you been making any exterior changes, or is the file available now pretty much good for that purpose.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Nope, I've occasionally made minor tweaks for purposes of 'NPCs can now actually climb this bridge' etc., but in any case nothing since the last file.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

OK, here's another quest idea:

Gondoril is new in Merelag. He was at the market the other day when he saw a rich dunmer woman drop her amulet while she was shopping. Unfortunately Gondoril is exstreamly timid when it comes to women and was too shy to walk up to her and give it back. Feeling guilty, he asks the player to find the women and return the amulet to her for him. The PC will start by asking around town and will be told by Merelag's upperclass ladies that the amulet belongs to Denara Tilmeth, who lives in a manor near Merelag. The player will then bring the amulet to her and she'll give the PC a reward. The PC can then go to Gondoril and recieve a modest reward from him too.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Instead of a reward the lady gives the PC a note to give to Gondoril. After giving the note to him, Gondoril becomes extremely pleased (she writes him a love letter, she secretly likes him?) and gives the PC a reward.

Its cute, if perhaps a little unrealistic though.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

There's a gap in the collumn in Gondoril's house. Anyway, I do like the quest idea, perhaps a "love letter" is a bit too much, but a note in which she thanks him and says she would like to meet him in person would be nice. In fact, you might even incorporate a dialogue change hinting at an affair between the two of them a week after this quest is completed. Then perhaps elaborate on that, rat Gondoril out to her husband who has Gondoril's paintings confiscated or something. Could be fun.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Is it already set that she is married? I was imagining her as being unmarried. I do like the toned down nature of the note though, more realistic and less cheesy.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

This is a simple enough quest, and fitting for the slightly serenely-boring place that is Meralag. I'll whip it up when I next have the time. I'll work out the details of what Tilmeth says in return myself.

Tyrion, remember to always check out the NPCs in question before thinking about quest plans. Tilmeth is indeed married, and no Yeti, she wouldn't have affair with some drossy Wood Elf. :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I was flying by the seat of my pants, sorry. :)

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Glad that I could help move this along :banana:

Is there anywhere else you need a quest plan BC?
Last edited by Yeti on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Darnim needs two quests. I mentioned a bare skeleton up there for a more complex (i.e. options) quest involving Ashlanders.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, that final Meralag quest has been whipped up. Not tested yet, but there's not that much room for error other than typos in results boxes.

Again, any help with plans for Darnim quests would be appreciated.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'll see if I can come up with BC :))

Can I use that big Molag Bal shrine in a plan?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

if you can come up with a good reason, anything within this claim can be used for the plan.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

This one might be a bit too long for a miscellanies quest, but here it is anyway.

The Imperial merchant Tertitius Paneluse's assistant was suppose to meet him in Darnim. He was coming from the south and is late, which is out of his character. Tertitius will ask the player to investigate.
On the road to Merelag, the PC will come upon a dead Pack Guar belonging to Tertitiuse’s assistant, surrounded by signs of a struggle. When searching the area the player will find evidence suggesting that Molag Bal cultist were behind the attack.
When the player takes the evidence to Teritius Panelus, he will be understandably upset and ask the player to find his assistant. Not knowing much about the area, he will suggest the player ask around for leads on where the cultists could be. Locals will inform the PC that there was once a Molag Bal shrine (Kissashallat) to the south-east.
Once the PC enters Kissahallat, he/she will meet the cult group’s leader Rithnil Draras who will offer the player a deal. If the Pc kills a cult-deserter for him, he’ll give up the cult’s prisoner. If the player refuses he’ll have to fight through the shrine and end up rescuing Tertitiuse’s assistant, who the PC will escort back to Darnim. If the PC accepts the cult leader’s offer, he’ll kill the deserter and return to Kissahallat and find Rithnil with Tertitiuse’s assistant dead at his feet. Rithnil will say something along the lines of; “Thank you for dealing with that traitor. It’s a shame that you went through all that effort for nothing. As you can see we offered the merchant as sacrifice to our lord while you were away. Don’t feel bad though. You too shall now share the same honor.â€Â￾ The player will then have to fight the cult leader and some Daedra and report to Tertitius about his assistant’s death.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

In hindsight the above idea I posted isn't very good in my opinion. Here's another one that's less wordy:

Deril Drevin is a deserter from the Molag Bal cult group in Kissashallat. He's knows that they are going to try to kill him but he has no gold for the boat out of Darnim and doesn't want to take his chances leaving town on foot. He also doesn't want to have to live the rest of his life, looking over his shoulder. In desperation He will ask the player to kill his former fellow cult members and will give the player an enchanted Molag Bal amulet if he does this.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I think this is better than the last one, yeah, which was a bit overwrought. This one perhaps is a bit too simple? Though it's perfectly acceptable if we have nothing else.

Maybe move away from the cultists? Personally I find that Daedra worshippers don't make for the best baddies, except for people like the FG, where it feels right to just have a massive hack-fest in a ruin somewhere.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Well I just think that ruin out in the swamp could stand for some story to go with it. I'll try thinking of other ideas, though.

Is there any particular topic you have in mind BC? You mentioned something involving some Ashlanders and an ignorant Imperial dockworker, acouple posts up.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

There's an abandonned shack in the Bog, which could serve some purpose. Possibly a scheme where the shack looks like a good shelter for travellers, but the "owner" murdering them in their sleep? And the player notices this while sleeping there before it's too late?