Map 3 NPC Claim #9 [arvisrend]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Erm... why did you just copy and paste what Cat and Aeven said, imm_pigs?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I couldn't see the comments in the thread, but I could see them in "Topic Review". And since I don't want to have to start making a post before being able to read the comments, I reposted them in the thread.

I guess I'm the only one with this problem. It might be because I am claimant of the file and something happened when moving it from reviewing to claimed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I talked with cat about it on IRC and I think it's because those posts were made in Reviewing and you're not a Reviewer so you can't see them. Even though that problem is "fixed" according to forum permissions. Anyway, now I know.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Whoops! This claim needs an update by Monday.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Any updates recently? It's well into injury time now.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I've PM'd immortal_pigs a few days ago. If there's no response by tomorrow I will revoke the claims.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Moved to Unclaimed.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I'm *not* done with playtesting this yet; probably I'll complete it this Sunday (as for now I'm away without my Morrowind-capable laptop). Here are the first things I've noticed:

4/6/2011 (23:18) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling wooden staff Sailen (37,-16) 304438 -127768 648 "wooden staff stuck in the ground, looks stupid and defies gravity"

4/6/2011 (23:26) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling TR_m3_Cato00000000 Sailen, Deakrin Manor 404 781 -382 "an IMPERIAL slave in exquisite clothing?" (this is NOT the slave from the love quest)

4/6/2011 (23:32) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling active_de_p_bed_11 Sailen, Fine Clothier -242 551 -350 "only 1 bed in whole house, despite of slave"

4/6/2011 (23:36) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling active_de_p_bed_12 Sailen, Smith 3986 4186 14752 "again 2guys1bed"

4/6/2011 (23:41) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling TR_m3_Girynu_Rathryon00000000 Sailen, Pilgrim's Hostel 273 387 130 "First, his quest is too hard to start (one normally doesn't ask everybody for 'Background'). Second, he sometimes says his latest-rumors topic about himself, sounding stupid."

4/6/2011 (23:53) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling In_MH_door_02 Sailen, Idroso Menas' House 3968 4033 14912 "first the chair prevents me from getting through this door, then the clannfear behind it prevents it from opening. is there any reason for having a clannfear permanently living there after all, instead of one that is spawned if one tries to open the door?"

4/7/2011 (00:05) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling TR_m3_Inera_Bradyn00000000 Sailen (38,-16) 317252 -129669 146 "topic LATEST RUMORS answer 'Those pilgrims need ...' has a typo (lowercase 'pilgrims' at the beginning of a sentence"

4/7/2011 (00:06) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/6/2011 (23:08) skraeling ex_velothi_loaddoor_01 Evos (37,-19) 305622 -152115 340 "door bleeds with house"

Two of the four Greeting-5s of Creature TR_m3_q_A9_Ghost have a "startcombat" command without any target in their results. Should be "Startcombat player".

Same for one Greeting-5 of Creature TR_m3_q_A9_Bonewalker.

As I said, more is to come in a few days.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here is the promised followup:

By entering the Balvel Ancestral Tomb and killing the (non-aggressive, but who would expect that?) clan mother before obtaining the quest, one can forestall the quest. The quest is NOT broken (it can be finished by manually lockpicking the door to the cellar), but the logic is (the journal entry makes no sense). This is not a bug by Morrowind standards, though. Just want to have it mentioned.

There are more slaves in Sailen houses who don't have a place to sleep. Why actually believes Sailen has way too many slaves altogether.

4/10/2011 (00:04) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9.ESP 4/7/2011 (00:25) skraeling dwemer_bracer_left Arkantng, Broken Passages 3577 -1872 72 "floater"

4/10/2011 (00:05) skraeling centurion_spider00000004 Arkantng, Broken Passages 2897 -1519 -32 "This critter has spawned half-stuck in the wall"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

This file should not contain 22 slaves. O_o

Slaves are quite a pricey thing, not every farmer or eggmine should have one. There are way too many slaves in this area, imho. Also they shouldn't be wearing expensive clothes. Nor extravagant or exquisite clothes or shoes by the way. As a rule of thumb, slaves should probably only be placed if interiors have accomodations for them (or if you decide to make a really cruel Dunmer who makes them sleep outside in the rain, but then again, they're quite the investment, may want to be careful with them even though they're considered animals by the natives).

Sera needs to be renamed too, imho.

I'll try to give this a more thorough look soon, but can't make any promises.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Tentatively claimed by me for NPCs and Quests.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Granted!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

What is currently being done here?
What still needs to be done here?
Is there any way we can get what needs to be done finished faster?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Okay this claim seems to need a lot of work. I haven't had much of a look at it yet as it's kind of secondary to the other claim I have. There's a lot of quest work needed for sure so perhaps it's better suited to someone more interested in that.

As for how to get it done faster, well if anyone is interested in claiming it, I'm only tentatively claiming it. Meaning I'm looking at it, I might work on it but no guarantees. I didn't actually intend for it to leave the unclaimed forum until I'd had a good look through it, which I haven't yet. :-P
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

This is a claim that should only need a bit of tweaking and fixing to my knowledge Massie. Try taking a run through it in-game, and see if any problems stand out (e.g. unplayable quests, missing or faulty dialogue), and it might be considered ready.

P.S. are you sure your posts have gone into the right threads? It seems like this comment applies more to the Akamora claim, than this one. (and vice versa with the other thread)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

It's entirely possible that I've gotten them confused, yes. :-P
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Claim switched to adanorcil who should have it done in a few days.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Adan, got an update for us? Even if you weren't going to finish I believe you said you'd only have this claim for a few days.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

That was before it was even remotely clear what a state it was in. Either way, it requires more work, but I can probably finish up an at least halfway acceptable version this evening.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

ah, well that is good to hear then. Also, wow that was a much faster response than I expected.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Just a little warning that I will be on vacation until the 9th. The claim should be swiftly finished after that. Sorry for the delay.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news, Adan? I'd really love to get the Map 3 part of Sacred East wrapped up...

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Haplo wrote:Any news, Adan? I'd really love to get the Map 3 part of Sacred East wrapped up...
Doubled for pleasure.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

With a partial exterior fix-up, this whole claim obviously takes a bit longer than the original 'finishing touches' it was originally introduced as. But progress is swift.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Progress still as swift as it was 34 days ago?

Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Almost got the entire seaboard fixed up. Then it's fixing up one quest and done.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Adanorcil wrote:Almost got the entire seaboard fixed up. Then it's fixing up one quest and done.
Incredible news!

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Done soon? If you need help with additional exterior work I can put in a few hours.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The last news was two weeks ago with multiple posts since then asking for some kind of confirmation . This is really not acceptable behavior for such high priority claims. Regardless of what work is being done, at this point we need updates preferably multiple times a week, not once a month like we have been getting.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Don't even worry about the sea board, just fix the quest and you can pass it to nemon for the final bits.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Indeed. I can do anything exterior, just focus on quests.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

I'm dropping this off into more capable hands than mine now. CAUTION: I have somewhat cleaned this esp, certainly of any impurities that I myself might have introduced, but it should probably be looked at again before it is finalized.

I have done quite a bit of fixing on the exterior, but the rest is for Nemon or someone else. The area around the Necrom lighthouse in particular represented some of the worst TR Way Back When had to offer.

Apart from that, my adjustments to this claim are numerous, but with the quests as an exception, generally small. I have certainly forgotten something, but I am listing what I can remember off the top of my head for the sake of reference:

- I repaired the demographics of Sailen. Before, virtually everyone was either a noble, a pilgrim or a slave. The Deakrin family (now renamed Delvas) are the hereditary lords of Sailen. Bereldas Rurvyn also has a modest manor in town, but is arriviste/money nobility. The Gimalvels have been demoted to no one in particular. I have put the latter two families in each other's houses, since this made a lot more sense sizewise. By far most slaves have been removed.

- Way too many people in this claim wore robes, even those who really made no sense wearing any. I tried to restore this balance, making sure to use the apprioprate house-bound clothing when applicable.

- Sailen's houses have been rotated a bit to blur the rectangular lay-out.

- A number of named exterior cells has been removed: a second, virtually empty cell of Sailen and a meaningless small Dwemer ruin. The Necrom Lighthouse is still named, for the sake of finding it easily, but should be removed.

- Removed a Dwemer explodo from said ruin. (This is not important but I found it funny to mention.)

- Removed a random manor in the middle of nowhere where everyone was dead for some reason and no one could make heads or tails of it. Funny detail: all the people had a weapon sticking through them. Think about that one for a while.

- As discussed at length, the Necrom lighthouse is no more. This particular area is known as the Cape of Leaving. Local folklore says Saint Veloth was once seen here, walking further east still, leaving Morrowind behind. This location may yet gain some importance in the future. I resisted the urge to put an activator shrine here, since we have so many already and I wanted to make something more unique, but didn't have time.

- I removed copious amounts of over-the-top dialogue. When I fleetingly ask a blacksmith about his background, I don't expect to hear this entire (four "Continue" click long) life story. When a lot of NPCs start doing this, it gets downright stupid. The previous claimant should have concentrated a lot more on valuable flavor dialogue for the town than on inventing long, contrived and ultimately boring backgrounds for individual NPCs.

- Lots of other little things I don't even remember.

- About quests:

This claim now contains three quests. Two were present in some form in the file I was handed. A third was added by me.

Save A Prayer
This quests has been rewritten to have a generally more fluid dialogue flow. I also removed some of the more questionable conversations with the Imperial slave that bordered on something you might hear in an establishment with a black latex dress code. The quest can be initiated by overhearing rumors in Sailen, by talking to Ethasi Balvel or to her son, Duram Balvel in Evos directly.

Note: This quest should probably be renamed, but I didn't have any good ideas. The name is a reference to a Duran Duran hit and I only made it slightly less obvious by changing the man's name from Duran to Duram. Also, you know, there's no actual prayer involved.

Religious Inquiry
This quests was all Salem Witch Trials. The suspect used to be guilty of 'doing magic', which, funnily, everyone does in this game so I guess everyone burns in hell.

The whole thing has been rewritten significantly to remove any trace of this whole Spanish Inquisition vibe and replace it with something actually a crime to the Dunmer faith. Unfortunately, there are only three suspects right now, where I would have liked to add a fourth again, but I ran out of time. (The fourth in the original quest was a devout temple follower and also already involved in the previous quest.) The suspect, Idroso Menas is not just 'a witch', but an actual Daedra trafficker that the witchhunter in town has been hunting down for some time. If the player finds incriminating evidence against her, they will be given a chance to strike a deal with the daedra noble she has captive in her basement.

Note: New quest name required.

Stranded

This quest is not accessible in Sailen or Evos, but can only be triggered by coming across Lleros Drothan, lying exhausted on an island just off the coast. After nursing Drothan back to consciousness, the player gets a chance to save him and the relic he lost in the waves.

Note: This could again use a better quest name.

I would advise a thorough playthrough of all three of these quests by someone with more time than myself to make sure they are error-free.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9_Ada.7z
(1009.56 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Thanks a lot for your work on this area, Adanorcil. Hopefully we can wrap this claim up shortly!
Adanorcil wrote:As discussed at length, the Necrom lighthouse is no more.
I'd like to stress that such huge alterations, regardless of their validity, need to be discussed at length on the forums. At the very least, post an IRC log of the discussions. I just talked to Cathartis and TF who said these discussions took place 2-3 months ago, yet this is the first I've heard of this.

Edit: I've switched ownership to Nemon in case any exterior touch-ups are still necessary.

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I can take a look at the misc. quests tomorrow if that's okay with you, Nemon. (by TF's request)
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Edit: I've switched ownership to Nemon in case any exterior touch-ups are still necessary.
For the record, they are. I'm only half way through cleaning up all the AC rocks along the coast and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have Nemon check up everything else too.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

New file,

-fixed a breaking point in the religious inquiry quest. The quest was unplayable after this quest so i couldn't playtest the rest of it. (It is after Girynu gives you the quest.) The quest should run fine now though.
-The Saved a prayer quest worked fine, except the part where the ghosts are attacking. The message displayed was" No NPC\creature in line 1 in the script " TR_A9_Bonelord script"". The script is fine, but i fixed a breaking point in the dialogue which may have caused this message.
-Fixed a point in the quest where you need to murder the slave girl. The bonelord started talking about love instead. I haven't playtested the 'kill the slave girl' part because of this.
-Added a topic to Idrin Maren because he's soppused to give you information in the Inquiry quests
-Edited a few old dialogue entries about Duran and Deakrin, the dialogue was nearly flawless
-Cleaned the file
Attachments
Clean TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9_Ada.rar
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 175 times

Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

I'm afraid you'll have to do that again, because (it might be on my end) you seem to have deleted every single land texture in the entire claim.

I'm not certain on the bugs you mentioned. I'm not sure what you mean with "when Girynu gives the quest". There might well be a problem there, but I or anyone else who tested hasn't run into it yet. The issue with bonelord is more than likely true.

The thing with Iner Maren (I assume you mean him) is a mistake, though. He is in no way involved in the quest, but used to be in the old version. In other words, that is a snippet of old quest dialogue that I forgot to cut out. There is more of that about, which probably caused the confusion. Since I doubt Nemon has jumped on this already, I'll take the liberty of quickly cutting out some vestigial dialogue entries from my own file (the one that still contains the land textures) and then upload it again. I'll also include any fixes you made.

EDIT: Here we go. I have cut out a significant amount of leftover dialogue and bugtested the entire 'Save A Prayer' quest, ironing out some bugs including the two you described. I have also included fixes for all the other problems you described, minus the one with Girynu, since I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. I'll leave to up to you, since you know where to look. I also moved the key in Idroso Menas' house to a slightly less hard location.

That cleaning, unfortunately, will have to be done again, but I think I'm going to leave that to someone with more experience. I can cut out the faulty reference to cells and dialogue entries, but I wouldn't want to break something else this time around.

TL,DR:

- Everyone: use the file below.
- Anyone: give all three quests a playthrough, for the sake of it.
- Viking: fix the issue with Girynu, since I don't know what it is.
- Anyone: make sure this is thoroughly cleaned, without loosing the land textures.
- Nemon: do your magic and fix the rest of the seaboard, giving the rest of the claim a good lookover too.

Adanorcil out.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9_Ada bugs fixed.7z
(996.58 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

My bad, I am still a bit rusty from my long absence. Sorry i took the textures out. I'll upload the file (based on yours) tonight.

New file below.
Attachments
Clean TR_Map_3_Detailing_A9_Ada.rar
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 188 times

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I've started making exterior fixes to theviking's file. Most cells needed either some detailing or removing of ex_t_menhirs, and I expect to be done by the weekend.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

theviking wrote:My bad, I am still a bit rusty from my long absence. Sorry i took the textures out. I'll upload the file (based on yours) tonight.

New file below.
Just for the record, does that include fixes for the problems you encountered but I didn't?