Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Message Post new topic Reply to topic
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

NECROMANCY Evil Laugh

I'm resurrecting this thread for an exterior showcase I'm almost done with. I just have a simple, noobish question I need answered in order to complete it.

How do you rename an exterior cell? Embarassed
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Katze
Developer Emeritus
26 Feb 2009

Select it in the cell view, and press F2. Type your new name. You could also select it in the cell view, then click on it again, but I find F2 to be easier.

Also, yay, more exteriorers!

"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:27 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Thanks Cathartis, I should have a file here by the end of the day.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:27 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Scamp
Reviewer
21 Nov 2009

Let's see who gets promoted first Wink

Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:23 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Thank you Scamp Softworks; because of your post I didn't have to double-post Very Happy

Anyway, here's my file. It's a WestGash style island north of Ald Velothi and includes a small Redoran outpost called Vendarsul. My wilderness cells are name "TR_showcase".

Since I want to do some NPC claims I'd appreciate it if reviewers also looked at the dialogue I've done. It isn't much but I hope it's enough to judge my abilities Smile

One thing I know I need work on is path gridding. I read Haplo's "path gridding for dummies" but I still can't figure out how to place the path nodes. Confused

Edit: the one download made so far was me downloading it to make sure I'd uploaded the right file.

NEW_Clean TR_Yeti_exsterior-showcase.esp
 Description:
Exterior showcase - version 1

Download
 Filename:  NEW_Clean TR_Yeti_exsterior-showcase.esp
 Filesize:  290.98 KB
 Downloaded:  61 Time(s)

Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:58 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Katze
Developer Emeritus
26 Feb 2009

You don't need to add pathgrids, NPCs, creatures or dialogue for exteriors, so those can be removed.

Your underwater areas with kelp should be illuminated blue with lights rather than blue vertex shading.

Your town is way too close to the water level. I know Morrowind doesnt have waves or tides, but towns generally are built a little bit further inland than directly on the beach, on flat sandy plane. This town would flood given a tiny variation in water level, especially given the Redoran building method of having most of the structure underground.

Your actual wilderness detailing looks to be pretty good, all I could recommend is for you to shade a bit more around statics to give the impression of shadow. Your static and container-plant placement looks to be very good.

I think it would probably be easiest if you removed the town, and just made it into a really well detailed beach area.

"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Thanks for the speedy review Cathartis Very Happy You're right about my town; I guess I should have been more thoughtful on it's placement.

Quote:
You don't need to add pathgrids, NPCs, creatures or dialogue for exteriors, so those can be removed.

How do I go about being promoted to do NPCing then? Would I need to be promoted for questing to do them? They fall under the exterior section so I just assumed that dialogue and pathgriding could be done by an exterior modder. Confused

Quote:
I think it would probably be easiest if you removed the town, and just made it into a really well detailed beach area.

I will most likely do this for the next file, though I will see how difficult it would be to tweak the town.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Katze
Developer Emeritus
26 Feb 2009

As far as I know, you need to be promoted for questing to be able to do NPC detailing, and exteriors to do terrain detailing. Don't quote me on that, though. Best person to ask on such things would probably be BC, Nemon, or one of the admins.

Tea is important.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Scamp
Reviewer
21 Nov 2009

But I guess you will have to do some simple (lol simple) claims before you should try a detailing claim won't you?

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus
06 Dec 2004

not generally, as detailing claims are less complex and overall easier than actual claims.

Haplo Edit: This is actually false. The opposite is true; detailing claims are more complex and much more difficult than regular claims

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I've taken a break from working on my exterior showcase so that I could try my hand at learning how to quest... let's just say I could use some assistance Laughing

I'm halfway through making a very simple quest and while I think I have most of the basics of the dialogue system down, my simple scripts (believe me, they are simple) don't work at all. I've read through the quest tutorials I could find but of course I'm still stumped Laughing

I would be most grateful for any guidance from the great questers of TR. I know a part of being a quester is learning how to problem solve, but I can't even get simple AIFollow scripts to work! and I really want to learn how to do this to help with NPCing and questing.

Here is the "Beta" of my quest (if you can even call it that). It involves the NPCs "0-Nord-1" at the Fort Frostmoth docks and "0-Nord-2" in Khuul.

TR_Yeti_Quest_Showcase.ESP
 Description:
First quest attempt

Download
 Filename:  TR_Yeti_Quest_Showcase.ESP
 Filesize:  9.26 KB
 Downloaded:  53 Time(s)

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:38 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I've fixed up my exsterior showcase file. I removed most of the town, replaced it with beach and darkened most of my shadows. Enjoy Smile

NEW_Clean TR_Yeti_exsterior-showcase.esp
 Description:
exsterior attempt #2

Download
 Filename:  NEW_Clean TR_Yeti_exsterior-showcase.esp
 Filesize:  389.77 KB
 Downloaded:  59 Time(s)

Post Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

Hi Yeti, do you still need a review for that quest? I actually took a quick look at it way back when you posted that file but I never got to giving it a full review and just forgot about it, apologies!
Post Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Well I've started on a new quest file but I'm still having trouble with the scripting (mostly with learning what all the functions are and how to properly implement them). I'd still appreciate it if you would check my old file just so I can find out what the things were that I was doing wrong with it.

I will give you a warning though; it likely wont be pretty Smile
Post Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Maybe a little too early for a bump but the changes to my file were pretty minor Smile
Post Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

B U M P Razz
Post Sat May 15, 2010 6:19 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Bump Smile
Post Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

About the quest, There are a couple of problems with your script.
Code:
Begin Borjolfollowscript

short nolore

If ( GetJournalIndex 0_Nord = 20 )

Short followNow

If ( GetCurrentAIPackage !3 )

set followNow to 1

AiFollow Player 0 0 0 0 0

endif

endif

If ( GetJournalIndex = 30 )

set followNow to 0

AiWander 120 40 20 20 10 0 0 0 0

endif

End

First of all, please indent and organize it properly. Variables up top, one indent per if. This isn't strictly necessary, but I strongly advice it for in case anyone else ever needs to look at your scripts (in review or when picking up a dropped/revoked WIP). Secondly, you're missing quite a few "=" signs. A regular "is equal to" should be denoted as "==" and "is not" should be "!=". Thirdly, followNow serves no purpose. Either remove it or include a check (for instance in the last bit, see next). Lastly, if GetJournalIndex == 30, the AIWander is set each and every frame which will lead to the poor bloke freezing. This is what I would've done.
Code:
Begin Borjolfollowscript

short nolore

if ( GetJournalIndex 0_Nord == 20 )
   if ( GetCurrentAIPackage != 3 )
      AiFollow Player 0 0 0 0 0
   endif
endif

if ( GetJournalIndex 0_Nord == 30 )
   if ( GetCurrentAIPackage == 3 )
      AiWander 120 40 20 20 10 0 0 0 0
   endif
endif

End
Anyway it's a good first attempt. Looking forward to seeing your next quest! Wink

edit: Did you pick up a copy of Morrowind Scripting for Dummies (link)? It really is the bible for Morrowind script and a must-have for anyone trying to write a quest. I use it regularly myself and I don't consider myself a complete dummy Wink
Post Sun May 23, 2010 3:56 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I've picked it up and have given it a few look-throughs. There's a lot of stuff in it but I think I'm beginning to wrap my head around it all. I'm quite comfortable admitting I'm a questing dummie but we all have to start somewhere Razz Anyway, thank's for giving me some initial advice Happy

Now is there anyone interested in going over my exsterior showcase Wink
Post Sun May 23, 2010 5:52 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I'm thinking this is good and ready for a bump Wink (my exterior showcase that is)
Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Haplo
Lead Developer
30 Aug 2003

Hey, sorry it's been so long. Your exterior looks pretty good; nice and detailed. However, (and I know this might seem like a lot, but...) can I see you try your hand at some BM mountain landscape? Doesn't have to be very large. Just to see how diverse you are and to see how you work with that region type.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:15 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

No problem, I'll get right to work on it. Would two cells be okay?
Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Haplo
Lead Developer
30 Aug 2003

yeah that should be fine

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:02 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Well, I still haven't gotten around to doing those 2 exterior cells v but I have started on a new Quest Showcase file. Unfortuantely I'm already stuck on the early part of it.

When I talk to my NPC and accept my quest, the journal doesn't update and I get the error:

script nolore

You need to enter a journal index on line 1?

I have no idea what's wrong. My journals seem to all be in order when I compare them with those from vanilla quests and it's quite frustrating being stuck on such a rudimentary part of questing Sad

Anyway if you check my file, the quest is in Suran and my NPC is called Varyn Tralani. My journals can be found under TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest and the topic I'm having the problem occurring in is "poor elderly farmer"

Please note that I haven't revised my dialogue and that I'm still quite the newbie at this questing stuff Very Happy

TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Description:
my lame quest showcase (;

Download
 Filename:  TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Filesize:  12.13 KB
 Downloaded:  35 Time(s)

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

Error-free for me, are you sure you uploaded the right file?
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I guess it could be a error on my side. I do have quite a few mods affecting Suran. I'll try on a clean install and see if I keep getting problems.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:46 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

Possibly. The error message led me to believe you had done something weird to the nolore script, but you hadn't even altered it, so I really don't know what's going on there.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I just tried my file on a clean copy of Morrowind (no mods ever installed onto it except a copy of TR data and my own quest) on a differant computer. Same problem Neutral

Why, did you get to the part where you have to choose between helping her and not helping her? That's where the trouble is. Also don't pick up the scroll on the ground next to her. I put that there just for testing purposes.

Here's some screens for clarity

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/TR_Yeti/Morrowind2010-12-2220-39-55-49.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/TR_Yeti/Morrowind2010-12-2220-39-58-81.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/TR_Yeti/Morrowind2010-12-2220-40-02-71.jpg

And my file again just to be sure Smile

TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Description:
Quest Showcase file?

Download
 Filename:  TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Filesize:  12.13 KB
 Downloaded:  41 Time(s)

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

Yes, I got there and for me there was no error message.

I'll check it again tomorrow. Sleep now.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:25 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus
02 Feb 2007

Good to see a questing showcase from you, Yeti. I'm afraid I don't have time to give a full review right now, but the problem you've got is a simple syntactical error.

The reference to the nolore script is a red herring, Why, it's just mentioning that because dialogue results boxes are technically run in the script of the NPC who speaks the line.

The problem is in the results box, and as indicated it's because you didn't provide a journal index. You gave this:

Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" = 10

You should give this:

Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" 10

otherwise the game tries to read = as a number.

On another syntactical note:

ModDisposition +10

The + there is unneeded, and might even cause problems? Unlikely, but you only need to specify in case of negative modification (-10), so why not just keep it simple.

Also, you use a Goodbye to end that bit of dialogue. This is unnecessary, and something that a lot of questers seem to be in the habit of? There is no need to force the end of dialogue like that, it seems heavy handed and spoils the feeling of quests as an organic part of the rest of the game's dialogue. Remember that your quest is meant to be a part of the wider game world and the dialogue system, you should not just use dialogue as a purely functional tool to deliver journal updates.

a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:13 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Thank's for the pointers BC Very Happy

Don't bother giving this a full review yet, as it isn't done. I was just posting for help on a specific problem, that seems rather silly in hindsight.

Also thank's for your time to Why Smile

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

My family isn't doing much this Holiday season, so I've managed to "finish" my quest showcase. By "finish" I mean the two scripts that I made for it don't work but the quest can be technically played through without them.

The two scripts are:

TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2

and

TR_YetiQuest_NoteScript

The first one is supposed to make it so that the door to a specific room in the Suran tradehouse shows a Messagebox instead of opening for the duration of the quest.

The second script is supposed to place a note by the door with the TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2 script after a certain Journal entry is received. Currently I don't have it on the note and have put the note in manually.

Other than these two scripts everything else with this file should be good. To start the quest, talk to Varyn Tralani in Suran.

Have a merry Christmas Happy

Clean TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Description:
Quest Showcase file v.1

Download
 Filename:  Clean TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Filesize:  26.17 KB
 Downloaded:  32 Time(s)

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:56 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

I know you guys are all busy but I'm going go ahead and bump this thread, just so it doesn't get buried. Smile
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:23 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

While I was waiting for you guys to review this file I started tinkering with it some more. My scripts still don't work but I think they are better.

I changed

Code:
Begin TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2

if ( MenuMode == 1 )
   return
endif

if Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" >= 15
   if Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" <= 60

if ( OnActivate == 1 )

MessageBox "You try to open the door but it appears something is blocking it from the other side. You hear an irriated voice from behind it yell at you to read the note."

return

endif
   endif
endif

;This should make it so the player cannot open the door during the quest and instead get's the MessageBox.

End TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2

to

Code:
Begin TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2

Short controlvar

if Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" >= 15
   if Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" <= 60
      set controlvar to 0
else

if Journal “TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest” < 15
   if Journal “TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest” >= 60
      set controlvar to 1
return

endif
   endif
      endif
         endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
      if ( controlvar == 0 )

MessageBox "You try to open the door but it appears something is blocking it from the other side. You hear an irriated voice from behind it yell at you to read the note."

return

endif
endif

;This should make it so the player cannot open the door during the quest and instead get's the MessageBox.

End

and changed my other script to

Code:
Begin TR_YetiQuest_NoteScript

if ( GetJournalIndex "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" >= 15 )
   Enable
   "TR_m0_q_YetiQuest_doornote"->Disable
endif

if ( GetJournalIndex "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" < 15 )
   Disable
   "TR_m0_q_YetiQuest_doornote"->Enable
endif

End TR_YetiQuest_NoteScript

which should work as I based it off of a vanilla script that does largely the same thing. Neutral

Clean Clean TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Description:
updated file

Download
 Filename:  Clean Clean TR_Yeti_QuestShowcase.ESP
 Filesize:  23.12 KB
 Downloaded:  31 Time(s)

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:48 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Give me a B
B!
Give me a U
U!
Give me a M
M!
Give me a P
P!

What does that spell?

BUMP! :dance:

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:45 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

bump?
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Why
Lead Developer
04 Jul 2009

sorry about the lack of review, these are two crazy weeks at university, protesting and tests going on at the same time.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:19 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
MSam
Developer
12 Dec 2008

Hey Yeti,

I've just reinstalled Morrowind and I gave your showcase a look at.

You've got a lot of minor typos and grammatical errors, and your major script didn't work.

The typos are minor. There were a couple of times where there were two spaces instead of one between the words, and you forgot a couple of full stops. Like, in the greeting Tabashi gives when you return for the first time, he says '%PCName must do something...if he want's (should have no comma) contract (missing a fullstop)'.

I counted 7 spelling mistakes in the letter - everything that was supposed to be spelt with a 'exp' ended up having a 'exsp'. The mistakes were so constant I thought we were going to be treated to meeting an illiterate Imperial clerk who would be a riot. So I opened the door and couldn't find him anywhere. Turns out the door wasn't supposed to open from looking at your previous post?

I'm really, really sorry that you've waited so long for someone to look at this and tell you there are errors. Just comb through the dialogue meticulously and fix up all your errors. Also perhaps try and include another script somewhere?

Your dialogue is charming though - when the Dunmer farmer melodramatically says "Who will tend to my corkbulbs?!" I laughed, and I really liked the detail you put into the farmer's opinion on all her topics. Good luck! Smile

EDIT: Actually, I didn't notice your enable script. I think that one worked okay.

"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Why wrote:
sorry about the lack of review, these are two crazy weeks at university, protesting and tests going on at the same time.

That does sound pretty crazy Why. I hope everything clears up for you soon. 8)

Thanks for the review Msam. I probably didn't go through my spelling and grammar as well as I should have, especially in my letters. I’ll be much more thorough when working on official questing stuff.

Msam wrote:
Actually, I didn't notice your enable script. I think that one worked okay.

I'm pretty sure neither of my scripts worked when I tested them. Is there anything in particular that I did wrong in the scripts I made that you can see?

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:12 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
MSam
Developer
12 Dec 2008

Hmm, well I'm no genius at scripts, but I think you need to do something on the lines of separation. So perhaps if it was

if journal >=15 (whatever)
and have your conditions,

and then later on in the script stick in a
if journal >=60 (whatever)

it will overwrite the >=15 script. I'm not 100% sure if that's the best way to go about doing it, but at the moment it's reading as if the whole script is contradicting itself because the variables aren't specifically stated.

"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The content of this site is © by the Tamriel Rebuilt community. Morrowind, its expansions, and its content is © Bethesda Softworks.
Forums powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group