Yeti's Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Which scripts are we talking about, the ones you posted together with your file, yeti?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Why wrote:Which scripts are we talking about, the ones you posted together with your file, yeti?
Yep, that would be them.

@Msam: I don't think that's the problem, as what I did there is straight from "Scripting for Dummies"
Scripting for Dummies wrote: Instead of AND:
if ( variable1 AND variable2 ); does not exist
[do something]
endif

you have to use:
If ( variable1 )
If ( variable2 )
[do something]
endif
endif
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

The first script of the pair up there seems a lot more efficient than the second. I don't know exactly what these scripts are trying to do, so can't comment with full awareness, but something like this:

Code: Select all

Begin TR_YetiQuest_doorscript_2

if ( Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" >= 15 )
   if ( Journal "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" <= 60 )
      if ( OnActivate == 1 )
      MessageBox "You try to open the door but it appears something is blocking it from the other side. You hear an irriated voice from behind it yell at you to read the note."
      endif
   endif
endif

;This should make it so the player cannot open the door during the quest and instead get's the MessageBox.

End
has no reason it shouldn't work. For neatness, keep all your ifs and endifs symmetrically spaced, and use Tab to move them along by neat blocks. You don't need the MenuMode block here, or that other return.

For the other one,

Code: Select all

Begin TR_YetiQuest_NoteScript

short doonce

if ( doonce == 0 )
   Disable
   "TR_m0_q_YetiQuest_doornote"->Enable ; should already be enabled unless it's been disabled elsewhere so seems superfluous. Also, to reference it like this you must tick 'references persist' on its object record.
   set doonce to 1 ; there's no need for journal entry worries if you're just setting up a 'default state' - this way just 'does it once' and then stops running, a much more efficient solution
endif

if ( GetJournalIndex "TR_m0_Su_YetiQuest" >= 15 )
    if ( GetDisabled == 1 ) ;again, ensures that it only runs once
         Enable
         "TR_m0_q_YetiQuest_doornote"->Disable
    endif
endif

End
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Thanks BC. I'll look into starting on a new quest showcase now. :D
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Sorry dude, I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to scripting. Hope you're cooking with gas now thanks to BC.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

MSam wrote:Sorry dude, I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to scripting. Hope you're cooking with gas now thanks to BC.
You can't be that bad, seeing as how you're already a TR Quester :wink:
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news on that new quest showcase, Yeti?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I am pleased to present a new and (believe it or not) functional quest showcase.

:banana:

It isn't an exstremly complicated quest but I think it should be sufficently complex. There's three ways that it can be beaten at any rate.

To begin the quest find Dulani Saril in Vivec. She's standing by one of the statues of Vivec outside the HighFane. She should be rather easy to spot :) I suggest using a decent character for playing it - mid twenties should be good enough if you take the "evil" path

I probably could've revised the dialogue a bit more and added more flavor to it but I wanted to focus more on functinality and scripting on this file.

To make reviewing this easier, here’s a list of things added by this file.

New Topics:
bones of Dareth Telano
that fool Dareth
Ruvani Telano

Journal name:
TR_m0_Vi_ThePriestsbones

Script Names:
TR_m0_q_1_DulaniSaril2script
TR_m0_q_1_RuvaniTelanoScript
TR_m0_q_2_DulaniSarilDisable

New Items:
TR_m0_q_A2_SkullDarvosT

New NPCs:
TR_m0_q_1_Dulani_Saril
TR_m0_q_2_Dulani_Saril2
TR_m0_q_3_Ruvani Telano
Attachments
Clean YETI_QUEST_SHOWCASE_2.ESP
My scripts actually work this time !!!
(21.77 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Reviewing this tomorrow, will edit post!

edit: MSam ninja'd me AGAIN! (awesome! :p)
Last edited by Why on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Yeti, you seedy devil, I took a look at your file, and it's pretty good!

We'll start from the top - so assume everything else is perfect otherwise.

-Your file claims that we have different version of Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon/TR_Data. Mine are all the latest so I'm not sure how that's possible.

-Cleaning is all good, you just missed one 'Greeting 5' "excuse me, there is a very strange man in my house" needs to be cleaned out.

-Your grammar seemed a little alienating at times, but nothing made me scratch my head and say 'wrong', just I think you may have had some obscure extra spaces in some places. Usually that's picked up in reviewing so snaf snarf. I'll play through again and if I see any gaping errors I'll post them here, but it wasn't bad. Huzzah.

-I was going to say you should make sure your scripts end with a command, but if they're attached to NPCs that makes them not global? So that's all good, someone can confirm that.

-Nice job equipping her helmet for the execution! Sneaky sneaky.

-Good options in the quest.

-You could have filtered some of the topics a little more. Like, EVERYONE in Vivec knew who she was - you could have made it so people on the north side were like "Uh who is that?". Also, make sure you filter them with the 'nolore=0' condition, since that stops PCs with particular personalities regurgitating the same dialogue. It's also cool to hear about the aftermath. Like, after she's dead some NPCs could say "I heard she met a nasty death blah blah". Just put a little more variety in, for future cases.

-I only had one major error. When I told the priest's wife that I wasn't going to help her, she tries to kill you. This popped up in the dialogue box:
Script TR_m0_q_1_RuvaniTelanoScript
Trying to RunFunction index greater than function count
The script will not run anymore.
==>CompileAndRun problem was found in Topic "that fool Dareth"
"No! I'll die before I let that @Temple# slut put a hand on them!"
I have no idea what's caused this. The script attached to her indicates when the journal gets to 50 she should automatically die, but this journal update just pops up to 20, and the script should become obsolete. I checked in the CS, and it looks like you omitted the journal entry in that box anyway.

-Minor comment in this one:
When I entered Ruvani Telano's home I found her dead on the floor and Dulani Saril waiting for me. She deduced my part in Ruvani Telano's scheme and attacked me. I was able to slay her in the following fight.
She's not dead when the journal is updated. You can avoid this by just cutting the last sentence - seeing as I can teleport away if I'm a whimp.

----
In conclusion, pretty good. Just fix up that major error above and you should be fine for promotion, seeing as you've displayed lots of skill in your last ones and this one should be fully functional.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

MSam wrote:-Your grammar seemed a little alienating at times
Yeah, I probably could've put a little bit more effort into smoothing it out. :lol:
MSam wrote: Like, after she's dead some NPCs could say "I heard she met a nasty death blah blah".
Actually, I did do that. :wink:
MSam wrote: I only had one major error. When I told the priest's wife that I wasn't going to help her, she tries to kill you. This popped up in the dialogue box:
Script TR_m0_q_1_RuvaniTelanoScript
Trying to RunFunction index greater than function count
The script will not run anymore.
==>CompileAndRun problem was found in Topic "that fool Dareth"
I remember getting that at one point but not the last time I played it through :?

MSam wrote: She's not dead when the journal is updated. You can avoid this by just cutting the last sentence - seeing as I can teleport away if I'm a whimp.
But the last journal entry only updates if you kill her. It's set to do so on her death. :?

Thank's again for the review!
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Huzzah, that'll teach me to only talk to one NPC. I guess I must have killed her with mah darts and checked the journal before she 'fell over'. Nice job!

If you find out what causes the CompileRun error, please post here. I've got the same problem with one of my quests that involve an NPC using the PositioninCell, and the next journal update just doesn't work. =S

Thank you so very much."
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Yeti, from looking at those scripts at the top of the page that you said still don't work, I noticed that you were using the "Journal" function in an if statement in place of "GetJournalIndex"... someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that cause problems? I'm assuming you compiled these without error, so I'm surprised that didn't cause a compile-time error.

Anyway, if you still have that first quest not working, that's my only suggestion. I also agree with BC that the first script is more efficient.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Thank's for the advicve Beave but those scripts are from my old showcase file. I have a new one up with scripts that work. :D I'm using GetJournalIndex now :lol:
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Here is my showcase file with fixes. I didn't look into the CompileandRun error because Why said he couldn't replicate it.
Attachments
Clean Clean YETI_QUEST_SHOWCASE_2.ESP
Fixed Showcase
(21.68 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Well I'm satisfied. Good quest, nice attention to detail, competent scripting and dialog. :D

I had to google that error, and as far as I can find nobody has really found a straight answer to it and since I couldn't reproduce it, I assume it's just a kink in the outdated game that Morrowind is.

So yeah, Haplo, TF, is there anything I need to do besides adding Yeti to the AI/quests usergroup? Or do you guys want to make the last call here?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

he already has the modder title, and you are the head of your field, so I'd say everything is ok.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Nope. He's already a TR Modder, so all that's needed to promote him for something else is to add him to the proper usergroup.

Modder Promoted for AI/Quests. Congratulations, Yeti!

And curse you, TF, for sniping me while I was getting water.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Curse you, sniping my promotion post.

Yay, my first recruit! :D
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Thank's everyone. I didn't think I'd ever get here but I guess I did :lol:

Too bad the only quest stuff available right now is the Helnim East Empire Company quest line and the area surrounding Almalexia NPC Claim, both of which I don't feel up to.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Yeti wrote:Too bad the only quest stuff available right now is the Helnim East Empire Company quest line and the area surrounding Almalexia NPC Claim, both of which I don't feel up to.
Ask if you can claim the TG quests. Stryker was working on them but she hasn't updated in about 2 months.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'll look into the claims a bit today, I'm sure there are things to do...
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Yay! Another quester!

Congrats, Yeti! :D
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
"Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
when life flows along like a song;
but the person worth while
is the one who will smile
when everything goes dead wrong."
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Hooray, Yeti!
I had to google that error, and as far as I can find nobody has really found a straight answer to it and since I couldn't reproduce it, I assume it's just a kink in the outdated game that Morrowind is.
I had exactly the same problem in a quest I'm making at the moment, where I misspelt either 'Journal' or the Journalindex (it should have been 'MS_BladesShip', instead I wrote 'MS_Ship' or something). That caused the error message, but that obviously wasn't the case here since Yeti's journal worked this time? Such mysteries!

Thank you so very much."