q2-20-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

q2-20-Imp

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-20-Imp (#2109)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_2-2-Tel (#65)
Claimed by: Beave
Files: TR_q2-20-Imp_Beave_1.esp; TR_q2-20-Imp_Beave_2.esp

---

Fighters Guild

Faction Base: Helnim Guild Hall

Questline Length: between 7 and 8
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I might do the questline for this one, the current idea I have goes something like this:

You've got the current memebers of the guild, Hartise, Kah-Meelai, Farvil Madryen, Jonas Callodus, Hermea Artea and Arfil. All of these guys are secretly corrupt, selling excess guild supplies, trading weapons illegally, sometimes overcharging services, dealing in Dwemer items and participating in multiple forms of fraud.

Nobody suspects them because the Imperials are too busy with other stuff, and the group works very well together, putting up a facade to anyone outside of the group.

That's why the player will at first only see a petty rivalry between the smith, the weaponsmith and the armorsmith, and will think the NPCs are just generic do-gooders.

---

But the guild gets a problem which threatens to screw things up; a fresh member, a young Nord, joins the guild, and now they have to put in more effort to conceal their darker dealings. Their current strategy for dealing with the new member is too simply send him on overly dangerous missions alone, but so far the Nord has survived the first one, and that's where the questline starts off.

---

So in the first two quests, the player is sent with the Nord to perform two challenging missions, and after that the player is slowly introduced to the criminal group. The young Nord will eventually die, maybe by the players hand, or in some other tragic way, and the questline ends by choosing corruption, or by choosing honor, which will have the baddies killed and new guildmemebers introduced.

Thoughts?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Seems a little dramatic for what should just be a more run-of-the-mill 8 quest faction base line.

If you can justify the extra shininess, I'd consider it. But you will need to put forwards an argument, I'm not just gonna accept it off the bat.

Same with the whole corruption thing, also, especially seeing as that was entirely unplanned for. :P

And I don't like an 'entirely corrupt' Guild base, and certainly not a quest that revolves around replacing the entire membership.

Your young Nord could be the one wandering around outside. (She's in the FG) And remember that there're a few other guild members in Helnim outside of the Guild hall.

And to everyone, I think a useful discussion to have (for all factions, in fact) would be where we actually want the rough outline of the FG to be going. I'm not sure what the best arena for that discussion is, though.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Okay, new concept:

Only Kah-Meelai, Farvil Madryen and Jonas Callodus are corrupt (the smiths of the guild). So they put up a facade of a petty rivalry, but in actuality they're selling off guild supplies, and dealing in illegal weaponry and armor. They also participate in fraud. Overall their profit wouldn't be that large, they'd earn about 300-400 gold a month.

Hermea Artea has a mild suspection that something less then legal is going on, but she doesn't know for sure so she has kept this to herself for now.

In two of the latter quests of the questline the guild will deal with the fraud, either by sending them to jail or by conspiring with them.

Would this do?
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

From the depths of time I found this old questline design. It might still be useful.
Attachments
fighters guild.doc
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Don Bernardo
Developer

Post by Don Bernardo »

I thought I'd give quest designing a shot.

Could Mjornir's Alehouse use a bar fight perhaps? My idea is not fully formed yet, but the quest-giver would be one of the guild's more corrupt members, one of the smiths. In reality Galstav, the guy at the back of the bar, knows too much about the smiths' dealings or something like that, but the quest-giver will make up some slick lie about Galstav being a well-known troublemaker and tell you to form a posse and beat Galstav up. The player goes out onto the streets of Helnim. There, by asking around the player finds most people want nothing to do with this, but there are perhaps two or three men hanging around that will join if the player's reputation is high enough, or if the player pays them a fee. The player can also just go straight to the bar. On confronting Galstav, Galstav protests and begins to reveal to the player some of the FG smiths' shady dealings, to which the player can give two answers:

Answer A: The player is incredulous, Galstav gets annoyed and attacks. The quest-giver has told the player just to knock Galstav out so as to teach him a lesson. If the player uses his fists and knocks Galstav to the floor the fight ends, Galstav won't get back up, the quest will have ended as well, and the player can go back to the quest-giver for a monetary reward, at least enough to make up for the hired goons. Incidentally, all the hired goons in the players posse will be unarmed so that they don't end up killing Galstav. If the player however does choose to use a weapon or magic and slays Galstav, some or all of the other NPC's in the bar will attack (maybe Mjornir himself will whip out a crossbow from under the counter?). A NPC could be placed by the door barring the player's exit. Once the player manages to escape or kills all the attackers he can go back to the guild. Since Galstav is dead, the quest will have been completed but the quest-giver chides the player for drawing too much attention to them and there is no reward.

Answer B: The player tells Galstav he's not sure who to believe yet and says he'll get to the bottom of this. The fight has been averted. If the player goes and talks to any of the smiths they'll just impatiently tell the player not to believe a barfly's drunken ramblings. If the player speaks to Hermea Artea, she will admit to having "mild suspicions that something less than legal is going on" within the guild. This could be the start of her own quest to send the corrupt guild members to jail.

By the way, theviking, did you upload the wrong file? I keep getting stuff about the thieves' guild when I download this.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I had a small idea pop up in my head. No specifics, and would need to be worked out, but it's a start.

The FG head in Helnim gives you a new task: to retrieve an item stolen from an Imperial woman in Helnim. This woman believes it to have been stolen by a Breton thief, who lives on the other side of Helnim, but she isn't sure of this, and you are asked to check it out.

Upon entering the Breton's house, you see a silverware vase on the table (the rest of the house should be devoid of such luxury items). Whether or not this item should be labelled as unique I do not know, it depends on if it is described to you as a distinct item or not. If this is the case marking it as "Imperial Woman's vase" should suffice.

There are now three options: stealing it back from the thief (not sure if this person would be in the TG, which might complicate matters). The thief, when asked about it, will say it's always been his if his disposition is under 30. Above that, he'll offer to sell it to you at a much inflated price. If he's in the TG, and the player is too, the thief will offer it at real value. The player could of course also attack/provoke the thief and kill him. At this point there wouldn't be a crime considered of taking the vase back. A less obvious option would be to alert the guards, but you would only get half the reward as you were incapable of dealing with it yourself.

The player should then bring the vase back to the FG boss and receive a reward. Making the vase appear in the home of the Imperial woman would be a nice visual confirmation of the player's efforts.
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Just an opinion, since I'm new to this stuff correct me if I'm an idiot-

This is a Fighter's guild quest, and judging by the plot, it seems early on. Unless the thievery ties into some later quest, then I think that early Fighter's guild should have more to do with combat, especially with a local non-guild member. This seems more like a TG quest. It's a decent plot though, maybe for a Imperial Legion or TG quest.
Stryker: You're the stalker, right?

Live every day as though it were your last, and some day it will be.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

The Fighters Guild deals with whatever the customer asks, within the limits of the law. Dealing with criminals in a city where the guards can't be bothered, is a perfect task for the Fighters Guild. I do not know the degree of corruption within the guild, but I do know we do not follow the Vvardenfell line of a corrupted hierarchy.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I agree that the player should not be ordered to steal things as part of a Fighters Guild quest. However, if the player uses their initiative to steal it instead of doing it the normal way, then I don't see a problem.

The main solutions should either be to talk/bribe him into giving you the vase, or killing him. Telling on him to the guards sounds a bit lame - it might actually be good to work on the corruption angle instead: the guards don't care and that's why the FG have been asked to do the job.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
paw-prints-in-the-mud
TR Tester

Post by paw-prints-in-the-mud »

I've written five quests, although I wasn't able to read any of the ideas in this thread first. Hartise the guildmaster seemed rather upright when I read her dialog, but the smiths (who I would be happy to slander because they annoy me) could be corrupt. Anyways:

The Helnim Fighters Guild is a rather small outfit these days, but has a fine guildhall left over from the days when the mine was going gangbusters and there was plenty of work seeing to the miners' safety and obedience. It is short on manpower (Master-at-Arms Hartise is eager for the player's help) but has a trio of competent smiths that the town garrison often favors over their own. Hartise supports Jorval's crackdown in theory, but finds herself concerned about the formation of the new militia and whether the Guild will be called on to enforce Imperial law in a way unpopular with other factions. The Telvanni and even the Thieves can cause significant trouble to a chapter that becomes meddlesome. Hartise's quest assignments are linear. In Hatise's dialog, [bolded brackets] denote a hyperlink to a new topic.

Quest #1: “Syvatoslav the Defectorâ€Â￾ from Hartise, no requirements, one new NPC needed
(does the name sound weird? it is authentically Norse/early Russian, but there is a preexisting NPC that would work better anyhow, I just don't know his name. Or we can use a less crowded tavern)

[duties]:“I was hoping you would do some work for our outfit, [player rank]. We've been short on contract-fillers recently, despite the need for muscle in this region, what with the Fields and all. I don't think I'll start you on contracts right away, though. However much you know about Helnim, it can be difficult to navigate these days. The Telvanni, or the reforms, or the weather, has everyone seething and I want the Guild to stay at arm's length. So I have an [interior task] for you.â€Â￾

[interior task]:“To be frank, the Windmoth Legion is made up of worthless opportunists. Knight Protector Jorval knows it, and he has been mustering a new militia under his personal control to counterbalance them. A fine, gutsy idea on any other day, but a number of my men have quit the guild in order to join up. Something about incentives, anyhow it's unacceptable.

*break text here*

Syvatoslav is my third defector this month. Find him at Mjolnir's Alehouse and convince him to stay in the guild. Tell him I'm prepared to offer him a five per cent pay raise so long as he keeps it quiet. If he still refuses, get creative. Pick a fight and get him thrown in jail so the militia will turn him down. No one in town knows that you're Fighters Guild, and I will reimburse you for any fines, of course. If you can handle this more delicate task, I will gladly assign you more lucrative duties.â€Â￾

Syvatoslav is a low-level Nord warrior. He will rudely rebuff the player's offer of increased pay to return to the guild because the Milita's pay includes a bounty that is higher. The player can win him over by raising his disposition to 70 and then paying the Militia's 250 gold enlistment bonus. After returning to the Hartise, Syvatoslav will show up in the Fighters Guild as another member. If the player in unable or unwilling to bribe and convince him, he can assault Syvatoslav (his responsibility should be too high for Provoking him through Persuasion or pickpocketing) so that he attacks. There should be a guard in the room to arrest the player at that point. If the player talks to Syvatoslav after going to jail or paying the fine, he should angrily blame the player for getting him in trouble and refuse to speak to him. Hartise will not talk to the player if he still has a bounty, and will not offer any more quests if Syvatoslav has been killed. If the player has assaulted Syvatoslav, Hartise pays him 200% the assault bounty. If the player convinces Syvatoslav to rejoin, Hartise will only reimburse the 250 gold expense because it was more expensive. This unlocks Quest #2.

Quest #2: “Tainted Goodsâ€Â￾
from Hartise

[duties]:“[This is urgent,] [playername]. If you aren't ready to move right this minute, I'll give it to someone else.â€Â￾

[This is urgent]:“I sent Arfil to scout the Daedric cult we failed to clean up a fortnight ago. She has a pair of invisibility scrolls with her, but I have just received a tip that the last shipment may have been counterfeit, or even cursed. Telvanni sabotage if I had to guess, but that's for another time. Get yourself out there and make sure she's not in trouble.â€Â￾

(the questmaker will have to provide directions to whatever location they choose to use for this daedric cult)

At this point, Arfil should not be standing upstairs in the FG, of course. She could disappear when the player leaves to complete the previous quest. Upon reaching the Daedric shrine, the player should first come across Arfil, lying helpless on the floor near the entrance, under the influence of a powerful Drain Fatigue spell from the tainted scroll. If the player does not have any powerful means of dispelling magic or constantly restoring fatigue, he must take the Dispel scroll from the head cultist at the heart of the dungeon. Arfil tells the player to look for such an item. Killing the head cultist completes Arfil's contract as well, which results in an extra 500 gold reward. Leading Arfil back to the Guild is worth a 250 gold reward from Hartise. Feel free to adjust the sums if they are too small, but killing the cultists is worth more than rescuing Arfil. Completion unlocks Quest #3.

Quest #3: “Mission of Mercyâ€Â￾ from Hartise

[duties]: “I have a mission of mercy for you, [playername]. There is a fellow from Stros M'kai working in the mines here, by the name of Sandol. Turns out he is [fomenting unrest], something about indentured workers and wage practices. But wonder of wonders, this Redguard has influential relatives (estranged, mind you) that got wind of the matter, and they don't want the goons at the mine taking his hand or his life. They caught Jorval's ear, and he came to me.â€Â￾

[fomenting unrest]: “I need you to administer some preemptive justice on our friend Sandol. Find him in the diamond mine and give him a beating in the Knight Protector's name. Hopefully then the mine overseers will let the matter drop. Don't hurt him too much, of course, but be extravagant.â€Â￾

Sandol is an existing redguard miner. The player's journal should make it clear that hand-to-hand should be used on Sandol, and the player should be able to attack him without interference from the guards. When Sandol is knocked down the first time, he should should give up and initiate dialog asking for mercy, which the player grants. Hartise rewards the player modestly. Completion unlocks Quest #4.

Quest #4: “Tainted Goods Revisited from Hartise

[duties]: “There you are, [playername]. You do remember that little episode with Arfil and the defective Invisibility Scroll? We may be able to find their source, an opportunity for revenge and public gratitude both. I believe those scrolls cost some lives over at the chapel, after all. Go to Ervul Dranoth's enchanting shop and get him to tell you where he gets his discount merchandise. It may take a fair bit of bribery, so take this purse.

Hartise gives the player 200 gold. Ervul Dranoth will give the player the location on the coast north of town where a Dunmer boat should be anchored. A note on his person says as much, but he will reveal the location if his disposition is over 80. The boat should not be too far from town and filled with hostile orc mercenaries, khajiit sailor-slaves and a Breton sorcerer. There should be a crate of counterfeit and cursed scrolls as well as the usual smuggler loot. The player needs to kill the smugglers to complete the quest, which is worth a substantial sum from Hartise and a Fame point. Completion unlocks Quest #5.

Quest #5: “The Mad Lord's Guarsâ€Â￾ from Hartise

[duties]: “I'm sorry to inflict this one on you, [player rank], but the rest of this lot is out of town cleaning up a shipment of marshmerrow cane sugar that burnt up on the pier. Anyways, this contract comes straight from the Mad Lord himself. I'm not sure whether he's in earnest or just trying to insult us, and I'd palm it off on someone else if Jorval wasn't so keen on reducing tension with the Telvanni.â€Â￾

*split text here*

“His most fungal Lordship wants us to cull the Guar population of the Helnim Fields. His complaint was about over-grazing of valuable alchemical plants... I don't really care. Your share is fifteen Guars and you can keep half the bounty. Or, if you don't feel like trekking all over the province killing feral livestock, convince some merchant or dealer to set up shop capturing and [taming] them.â€Â￾

[taming]: “They fetch a good price in Ascadia, and someone would likely jump on the chance to collect them free of taxes and bureaucratic hassle. They would get the bounty, too. There is a Guar farm is Tel Ouada; you might try there.â€Â￾

I don't know what the best way to keep track of dead Guars is, a script or a dropped body part for each one. The player can kill fifteen of them or talk to the owner of the Tel Ouada Guar Farm about the opportunity to capture wild Guars and claim the bounty. If the player kills the Guars, Hartise pays him 500 gold. If he lets the Guar farmer do it instead, she pays the player 150 gold.

Hartise-Redguard Master-at-Arms quest giver
Jonas Callodus-smith
Farvil Madryen-smith
Arfil- veteran 2nd in command
Hermea Atrea-grunt
Kah-Meelai-smith
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sounds good. I like your Hartise, and don't worry about making the smiths corrupt. That was not a good idea.

The Nord in Mjornir's is Galstav. (The problem with Syvatoslav is that it is very long, and draws attention to itself. And like I say although obviously from the right tradition doesn't quite fit in with other in-game Nordic names.)

I think we can handle the guars. (MowSkwoz, Why, anyone, feel free to step in if you've got a better idea; but I think we could run a global script checking to see if the player is in cell 'Helnim Fields Region' and then keeping a tally of the DeadCount for Guar with a bit of fancy maths.)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Good stuff. Two points:

Quest 3: Sandol is also used in the EEC plan. Whilst this doesn't matter as long as the player doesn't kill Sandol, there is a risk they will. Just thought I'd mention it.

Quest 5: Mad Lord dies in the Helnim Gambit. I can't really see how this can be got around (unless we're rewriting the Helnim Gambit anyway).

With the guar counting, your idea sounds exactly like what I'd do, BC.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Whatever the case, I think disallowing quests that involve the Mad Lord would be silly. We might well be re-writing HG at a future point anyway, but even if not, we can use filters to make sure there's no weird dialogue/skip this quest if he's dead etc.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I like most of these quests a lot. #1 should be easy to make. #2, I personally would change "failed" to "were tasked" or something, or does it make sense to send in a squad and scout only after they're decimated? (I'm guessing they didn't survive the trip, as survivors would have provided enough information to render scouting obsolete). Otherwise, fine quest, very nice idea. I'm not sure about #4, as far as I know the FG are mercenaries, and I don't think they would act on those smugglers unless someone payed good money. Though a simple tweak to the dialogue would be enough. #5, nice, and if the Mad Lord is already dead we can easily make the order come from his advisor guy with a dialogue filter. (let's please please please not rewrite the Gambit, it's great! :P)

How many quests do we need for this, exactly? Top says 7, isn't that a bit excessive?
paw-prints-in-the-mud
TR Tester

Eight quests seemed like a lot to me as well, and that number comes from when there was an overarching concept for the guild in town.

So what do you guys think, should there be a climactic mission? Something with a hefty item reward? Something that gets deep into the town's intrigues?

I've been under the impression that the quests shouldn't require too much rebuilding or tying in with other parts of the mod, and that the prosaic assignments were good.

Of course, the dialog of the last mission (and the order doesn't really matter for most of these) could refer the player to a different guildhall. And I haven't put much thought into rewards. The questmaker could slip some magic items in.

I thought Hartise would be keen on getting some payback for the saboteurs who almost got Arfil killed. Does her dialog make that clear?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Seven would be fine here, and we don't need a 'climactic quest' unless you can think of one particularly fitting for just a misc. faction base. But I would have no objections to seeing a quest tie in to the wider Helnim situation in a wider sense. Such things are generally good, not to be avoided (but not to be piled on in heaps, either, which is why my instructions are for these factions to be more mundane)

The only requisite would be that it's a 'higher level' quest, to encourage a low level player to go elsewhere and be freeform, and to provide a sense of progression. Obviously that's not a limitation, just a recommendation.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

paw-prints-in-the-mud
TR Tester

I am quite busy with school projects right now, but I will write a final quest for the FG. When I have a spare moment next month I hope to tackle the Helnim Thieves Guild.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Good to know you're still around. Thanks for letting me know.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I've tried to finish this questline. The first 5 are summaries of paw's quests. The 6th is a quest along the same lines. The 7th is more of a climactic quest, but nothing uber.

(1) Galstav the Defector
Hartise has no current contracts for the PC, she has a task for insiders. The Helnim Militia offers a good incentive which lures guildmembers away from the guild. Galstav is the third defector this month. Go to Galstav (in Mjornir's Alehouse).

Offer Galstav a pay raise, he refuses.
A. Raise his disp, then pay him what Militia has offered.
B. Attack Galstav, both are sent to jail. Galstav has a criminal record so can't join Militia.

If;
Player has bounty, Hartise will refuse to talk
Player killed Galstav, Hartise won't offer any more missions.
A. Hartise reimburses what the PC paid (so no net gain)
B. Hartise reimburses 200% of the assault bounty.

(2) Tainted Goods
Hartise sent Arfil to scout a Daedric holding. He had invisibility scrolls, but it turns out they were fake. Go to the Daedric holding.

Arfil lies fainted near the entrance of the holding. Arfil tells the player to look for a dispel magic scroll; the boss baddie has one. Killing the boss also comletes Arfil's contract so the player will get extra. Revive Arfil.

If;
Only revived Arfil, 250 gold
Revived Arfil and killed the boss, 500 gold

* I'd suggest a cave as Daedric holding because there aren't that many ruins to choose from. A cave would require less exterior work but the interior would still have to be made.

(3) Mission of Mercy
Sandol, a Redguard worker in the mines has been fomenting unrest among the miners. He might get killed by the mercs. of mines but he has influential contacts, so the player is to give him a beating to get him to shut up but not get killed.

Go to the mines, find Sandol, give him a beating. After health drop he will forcegreet asking for mercy. Grant mercy, return to Hartise.

(4) Tainted Goods Revisited
The invisibility scrolls didn't work, this caused problems. Ervul Dranoth supplied the scrolls, go to his shop. Persuade Ervul to explain where he gets his discount merchandise, or kill him, he has a note with directions on his body.

The faulty merchandise comes from smugglers on a boat not far from Helnim. Go to the location, kill the smugglers and return to Hartise.

(5) The Mad Lord's Guars
The Mad Lord of Helnim finds Guars to be a nuisance. They eat valuable alchemical plants. Either kill [amount] guars, or persuade a merchant to set up shop capturing and taming guars. Hartise will direct the player towards the Tel Ouada Guar Farm for such a merchant.

A. Kill guars, get higher reward.
B. Go to Tel Ouada, persuade merchant, get lesser reward.

(6) Hunting Hunger
Hartise will tell the player she got a contract from a Telvanni. Any business is good business so long as it is by the law. So a Telvanni (Saruse Evenas) summoned a Hunger, Guuljhka. But the Hunger stole Saruse Evenas' staff and ran away to location X. Go to location X and kill the Hunger, it will have the staff on its corpse.

(7) Fame or Folly
Due to the succesful completion of the Telvanni contract, the guild is now taken seriously by some Telvanni. The Torvel family is considering to patronage the guild; they will provide finances in return for influence in the guild. Influence means the guild gives their contracts preferential treatment, and takes care of them discreetly.

Hartise is doubtful about this offer; the guild could really use the financial security, but what if the Telvanni ask the guild to act outside of the law? She will ask the player for advice:

A. Accept patronage.
B. Reject patronage.

A. Hartise will want the Torvel's to sign a strict contract insuring things like "Guildmember safety is of utmost importance", "No contracts that can be considered illegal are accepted", "The guildmaster maintains sovereignity over the guild", etc...

However the Torvel's are confused why their generous offer is being returned with such outrageous demands. The player must prove to the Torvel's that the guild is to be taken seriously as a partner, not as a servant.

How to prove? The Torvel's ask the player to either:
- Kill the Dolthernul family (they are rivals to the Torvel) [This is easy but counter to the law]
- Kill "Neloreth Selyn", a rogue Telvanni holed up in location X. [This is dangerous]

Do one of the two, the Torvel's will sign the contract, return to Hartise, get reward.

B. Hartise is relieved as she felt it would've been the wrong thing to do. But the guild still needs a reliable source of contracts due to financial difficulties. Hartise feels the best way to do so would be the complete a contract of heroic difficulty, so that the Helnim guild will get a respectable name.

The player is to go to location X which is the HQ of an infamous Robber Baron. The player is to kill any baddies, but capture the Robber Baron alive. The locations should be pretty large and the baddies should be tough. Afterwards the Robber Baron will appear in the Helnim Expanded Prison.

Return to Hartise, get reward. Possibly local dialog will reflect the capture of the Robber Baron.
Attachments
FG_Characters_Helnim.pdf
(619.05 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Very good; thanks very much for this, Impi.

I notice that we now have two faction quests relating to disloyal members in Mjornir's. Maybe change the location of quest 1.

One of the last Balmora FG quests was also to kill a Hunger. I'm fine with this; but is there a different Daedra we could use? Perhaps a Winged Twilight?

I really like Quest 7: feels like a cool choice, but ultimately pretty small scale in in-game terms. The Militiamen should have disaproving dialogue if the FG gets patronised by the Telvanni.

If the player kills the Dolthernuls, I don't think it should be as simple as just picking up the reward. I'd imagine that's an expulsion worthy offense.

In any event, that (and quest 6 too) should be restricted to higher-ranked members.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Quest 1) Now takes place in "Helnim, The Red Drake Inn". The disloyal member is "Joran". Currently he is just a drunkard so his dialog would have to be changed.

Or, create [New NPC] and place him in The Red Drake.

Winged Twilight seems right, is also more challenging so fitting of higher ranking members.

Dialog will reflect what choice the player made.

Player will be kicked out of the guild for killing the Dolthernul's, but will get a better material reward from the Torvel's then if they were to kill the rogue Telvanni mage.

I'm assuming there is some kind of reconciliation quest to get back into the FG.
Attachments
FightersGuildMap2.pdf
(99 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I am too busy right now to scour this thread for anything other than latest replies - Why, Impi, MowSkwoz; is this questline finished and ready for claiming, do you think?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Quest 2: Paralyze Arfil rather than making him faint, it's easier, knocked down NPC's can't talk so a dummy would have to be made which takes a lot of script and lameness to make work properly. This would also allow the player to cure Arfil's paralysis without killing the boss for a lower reward.

We'll have to decide on some specific locations for the later quests to take place. Also this "reconciliation quest" if the player is thrown out. This could possibly be moved to the head branch of the FG. (Which is what, Almalexia? I would personally favor Old Ebonheart, the fact that the MG HQ is in Alma doesn't mean the FG has to be too.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Expulsion is generally just handled by the standard 'make amends' dialogue option. It would be very complex to make a specific forgiveness quest for this particular booting out.

Personally, I would remove that option or make it something that less obviously is completely anti-FG.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Seems good to me, if that counts for much.

Would this claim be ready to be sent to unclaimed, then? Or no?
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think the only thing this quest design needs are locations for quests 6 and 7, which can be decided on when Stryker gets to those.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Can I gather that Stryker has pseudo-claimed this on IRC?

If not I'd rather get the final plan in place before moving stuff to Unclaimed.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Sort of, yes. I'd like to try to work on this, should it be ready for claiming now.

If not I can humor myself on other claims until then. D:
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

What's going on with this?
Last edited by The Greatness on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Right, I have some locations for these quests, so we're almost there.

Quest 6, Winged Twilight- Galseah, Deep Caverns
A large natural cave just east of Marog filled with Deadra. This would make for a really challenging mission. Unfortunately there are a couple of wierd people in there, but I also found an Orgim Titan, who would be perfect to replace with a winged Twilight. It even makes a bit more sense.

Quest 7, Rogue Telvanni- Assurbalhet
This will be really tough one, because to get to this fairly small cave that's North-East of Helnim (unless you levitate or something) is to go through a nasty Dwemer Ruin. This will really test the players, which is only right. It also has a nice little bedroom area and a cage full of scamps, which will feel just right if you remove the skelton from the bed.

However, for the Robber Baron, I couldn't find anywehere suitable after a lot of searching the countryside. I think to get a cave large enough we're going to have to extend one. Three main candidates for this would probably be Berantus (awesome exterior, although maybe not one suitable for a Robber Baron), Hlermu (really nice waterfall) or Otori (probably the closest to what we're looking for). However, they're all far to short. If I get promoted for interior modding I could extend it and NPC it with the quest specifically in mind, which would be desirable.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yep, I'm opening this for claiming. Greatness, I think there was more detail occasionally in Paw's original plans than made it into Impi's final .pdf, so perhaps locations are suggested there?

(I'm coming back to a mass of forum pages after two weeks holidays so am whizzing through too fast to check)

In any case, opened for Claiming, but preferably I want someone who I know is good with dialogue for a faction claim.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Tell you what. I'll design the Helnim miscs first, then claim them, and after that I'll work on the guild quests. I guess it would be best to get them done first to form the basis of the quests in Helnim. Expect to see some new designs for Helnim miscs soon, although some help with those would be very nice. Damn those Map 3 NPCing claims taking up all the experienced questers. It would be nice if some of you guys put the NPCing on hold for a bit to get this bit done first. Also, a bit of feedback on the two quests I made would be useful, but I'll start designing more and sort IP's out.

OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

The Greatness wrote:It would be nice if some of you guys put the NPCing on hold for a bit to get this bit done first.
What is your reasoning for saying that this needs to be done before NPCing?
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Because if something doesn't change then Sacred East will be fully NPCed before map 2's quests are finished, which is backwards beyond belief.

OTRaw
Developer

Post by OTRaw »

To one who should really look at the maps again, this sounds fair enough.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Hardly likely - once we get these factions wrapped up it should be very little time at all to a quested Map 2 release, hopefully. And Map 3 still has leviathan claims like Necrom to worry about. :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Hardly likely - once we get these factions wrapped up it should be very little time at all to a quested Map 2 release, hopefully. And Map 3 still has leviathan claims like Necrom to worry about. :P
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:once we get these factions wrapped up it should be very little time at all to a quested Map 2 release
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:once
Okay, there's only the EEC, Thieves Guild, IAS (which I think would be really cool if we could do it) and the Fighter's Guild left, but the rate of progress in NPCing has been pretty steady and with quests... less steady.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ha, yes, that is the operative word.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Since nothing at all has happened to this claim for a while, and I don't imagine my currently claimed Telvanni quest line will be reviewed anytime soon, I'm going to claim this. School this year is a lot crazier, which is why I haven't been active around here, but I think I'll enjoy making this claim.

I read through the quests and I like what I see, so I'll go off of that and make dialogue adjustments as needed to keep it appropriate. BC knows I have experience dealing with that. ;) Anyway, my guess is that I'll be able to work on this come next week, and from there work on it bit by bit. Once marching band season is over in November, I should have more time to work on this. So... can I have it?