q2-21-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

q2-21-Imp

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-21-Imp (#2110)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_2-2-Tel (#65)
Claimed by: 6plus
Files: TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_1.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_2.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_3.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_4.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_5.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_6.esp; TR_q2-21-Imp_6plus_7.esp

---

Thieves Guild

Faction Base: Falkoth's Clothier in Helnim

Questline Length: 7+

Make this interesting. Please check current dialogue.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

From the depths of time I found this old questline design. It might still be useful.
Attachments
thieves guild.doc
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Do you want me to go over this and fit the various roles & locations to NPCs?

The Imperial Cult quest could still work but thematically it doesn't quite fit with the 'under siege' IC questline I wrote.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Oh, I'd been meaning to say I was looking at this. Haven't done much so far except gather character info for the members. I'm thinking I'd keep some of those quests, but I'm not a fan of them all.

Here's what i've done so far. Feel free to take if from here if you want gro-Dhal.
Attachments
ThievesGuildMap2.pdf
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Regarding 'stuff', Hofmund is the boss, and Tiron Maren and Valtio are his 'lieutenants'. Early quests should be given by those two.

Later quests, given by Hofmund, should involve some kind of revenge or campaign against Caedan Jorval. This shouldn't amount to anything 'game-changing' - we don't want to upset the Helnim Gambit, but should be relatively 'significant' for the Thieves.

And I have no idea what's up with the guys in Tel Mothrivra. They are totally a blank slate. I have no idea if we want them to be part of these quests or not.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Does it sound plausible for a desperate Mages Guild to have contacted the TG in Helnim to steal information from Tel Narussa?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Not implausible. But what 'information' would a Telvanni lord have that the Mages Guild would want? And also, the only answer to that question is 'some kind of super wizard technique', and that quest has been done (though in a bit of a reverse situation) with the Herne's soul in the Map 1 MG.

If you have a new or interesting spin on that, though, feel free to throw me a plan up here.

I'd really rather if the whole questline was designed simultaneously though, not bit-by-bit, for coherence's sake.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Well basically I want to integrate the MG of Map 1 with Map 2, as far as that can be done.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Posting this here so that I don't forget, there's a cursed (unique) Massive Diamond in Tel Muthada's Private Study which makes an excellent TG-target. Big, shiny and cursed treasure.
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Ok, here we go-

(1) Fitting In

After the player mentions the Thieves' Guild topic to Falkoth, he asks the player whether he's a "friend" or not. If the player replies no, then Falkoth gives the standard thieves' guild dialogue, and nothing happens quest-wise. If the player replies yes, then Falkoth replies, "Well, I'll let you in on a little secret. Don't go spreading it around, though, in case the guards catch wind of this. 'Greedy' Hofmund, the Thieves' Guild head-honcho, and I go way back. I don't approve of his trade, but I let him and his friends stay below, in the basement. Hofmund tells me he's recruiting new members, and, if you're already a member, as you say you are, he needs an extra pair of hands around. If you're interested, head down the stairs behind me - you can use the bar door. One problem, though; - yes, there's always a catch - I've misplaced the key to the basement, and no average thief could pick that lock. I might've dropped it when I was over at The Red Drake last. Whew, that was quite a night..." Put a "Continue" in where appropriate. To get the previous dialogue, you DO need to be an existing TR_TG member, as otherwise you won't have joined the TG yet, and thus the quest won't count to your total, as Falkoth can't accept you into the guild. Head over to the Red Drake Inn and talk to Falura Lleste over there. She'll give a short dialogue about her relationship with Falkoth ('s money) and tell the player she found a weird key in his tankard last week, and had been keeping it for him since then. She then gives you the key. Go back to Falkoth's and unlock the door. Talking to Hofmund will initialize this dialogue - "Well done, %PCName, you passed the initiation test. You not only showed intuition, but charisma. Welcome to the Helnim branch of the guild, %PCRank. If you need anything, feel free to ask. Talk to my two assistants over there for some [insert work topic here; I'm guessing from the above posts that it's "stuff?"]. And once again, %PCName, welcome."

Quest Finished.

(2) Eloa's Questline - Weaseling Out a Traitor

Eloa is more of the ruthless thief - she has little regard for human life, and is more of a ruffian-type class than a stealth-type class. Talk to her about "duties" or whatever, and she'll say, "Hey, %PCName: Life Lesson of the Day - Never betray your siblings. We've gotten recent reports of a [traitor] in our midst. Head over to The Red Drake Inn; you should already be familiar with the place. It's a popular Thieves' Guild hangout. Talk with our members there, and find out the mole who's been ratting us out to Caedan Jorval. Once you find the slimy bastard, get rid of it." Head over to the Inn once again, and you should find two members present - Valtio and Mera Telalu. Talk to them both, and our problem will arise- which one is the traitor? Valtio seems like a more genuine person, but has little evidence against himself. When you talk to him about topic "traitor", which was added by Eloa, he will say, "Yes, %PCName, I've heard rumors of a traitor. I've also heard rumors that I'm a suspect. Well, %PCName, I can't tell you much more than that I'm NOT the traitor. Yes, I was over in the Militia Headquarters a few days ago, but that was for...personal reasons. I'm telling you, friend, I would never betray the guild. I won't try to convince you by my rank, but please, take me on my word. Here, if this helps, I've been looking in to the whole situation. I think that [Mera Telalu], the Dunmer upstairs, is the traitor. See if you can find some more proof. Willing to work with me?" The player then has an option of either "OK, I'll see what I can find." or "Your words are useless, traitor. The time to die is now." Choosing the second option will result in him saying, "Then kill me. Kill me, and live with the burden of an innocent man's life on your shoulders. Don't worry, %PCName, I'll at least fight for my life. Goodbye." He then attacks you. Kill him and return to Eloa, and she'll say, "Is the traitor dead? Good. It's nice to know we have someone around here still who can get the job done quickly and efficently. I like your style, %PCName. Here, take this dagger I found lying around, and a few coins. Talk to me again if you need some more work." Eloa will then give you a iron dagger with drain health, let's say 4-6 points for 3 seconds on Strike. Quest complete.

Now, if you choose to play out the quest to the fullest extent, Eloa won't care, and still give you the same reward. After agreeing to help Valtio, go up stairs to talk to Mera Telalu. Speaking to her about her name, which was a topic set above by Valtio, will result in the normal, "Yes, that's me. How can I help you?" Talk to her about the "traitor" topic, and she'll reply, "How rude and ignorant of you to accuse ME of dealing with those Imperial scum. I've never even been near that foul stink-pile. Now get out of my sight. Goodbye." Go back down to Valtio, and tell him about the conversation. He'll reply, "That's strange. I'm almost definitely sure that I saw her walk into the Headquarters a couple of weeks ago. Go out on the streets and see if you can get any testimonials from the locals."Talking about the topic "Mera Telalu" to some locals will affirm the fact that she did, indeed, go into the HQ on several occasions. Return to Mera, and present the facts to her. She'll confess, and present you with two choices- you can either kill her now, or let her escape, and never be seen on this side of Morrowind anymore in return for 500 septims, with the choices "Die, fetcher. We can't have traitors running around freely." or "I'll let you go this time, but if I ever see your face around here again, you're dead." Returning to Eloa will grant the same reward as above. Quest Finished.

This post is getting uncool-y long, so I'll post the rest in a new post for the sake of organization.
Stryker: You're the stalker, right?

Live every day as though it were your last, and some day it will be.
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

lol, random paste in the middle of the quest's title. It's supposed to be Weaseling out a Traitor. I'll edit this post for the rest of the quests.

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Sounds, like a good start, I guess. Almost all of the dialogue is inappropriate for typical Morrowind-style quests; the design doesn't even need dialogue in the first place because for the most part it is up to the quester to come up with that. The detail is good, though.
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Bloody hell, you can't edit. I guess that's why it didn't occur to me in the first place to just edit out that random paste. Anyway, some more quests-

(3) Eloa's Questline - A Midnight Murder

Talk to Eloa for some more work, and she'll reply, "Yes, perfect timing, %PCRank. We've gotten wind of something happening with our friends over at the Militia HQ. They're always tight-lipped about these matters, so I don't think you'll be able to bribe the information out of anymore, as not many more people than Caedan Jorval himself probably know what's happening. We do know one thing, though - Valtus Alerinus, a local noble, is funding whatever is going on. He should have some financial record or document of sorts on what's going on. Sneak in to him manor, find the record, and get out of there unnoticed. Do NOT attack anybody; this is a priority - even though it would be my preferred method, and so much easier, as it would remove all possible eyewitnesses, it could blow the whole operation. Direct orders from Hofmund." Sneak into Valtus Alerinus' Manor, and there should be a document lying on his desk upstairs, along with some other pre-existing rolled papers. The message is, however, encoded. Bring it back to Eloa, and she'll tell you to give it to Hofmund to decode. Wait a day, then go back to Eloa to get a new dialogue: "OK, paper's decoded, and this is urgent now, %PCRank. The document says that funds for a side project of Caedan's are coming in via the road through Helnim fields that leads to the Docks section of Helnim. Stakeout near the passage between the Boethian Mountains at midnight tomorrow. When the carrier comes by, you know what to do. Keep it simply, discreet, and fast. We can't let Caedan get this economic advantage against us. And plus, the guild could always need some more cash. And remember, DO NOT let yourself be seen, or the operation is blown." Get into position, and at midnight the next night, you should see an Imperial walking across the road at Grid 26,2. Do the dirty deed, and recover 1000 drakes from his body. I think the walking script could be much like Fargoth's script, so at a certain time, he is enabled, and then starts walking towards Helnim, and if he spots the player, then he runs away. Unlike Fargoth's quest, the player can chase him down. After recovering the septims and another note with some details of Caedan's "Side Project", which will be incorporated into on of Hofmund's quests, go back to Eloa, give her the note and the cash, and she'll give you something from her latest excursion - a ring of Ekash's Locksplitter, aka open 100 points, and a few quality potions of invisibility. Quest Complete.

Here ends Eloa's questline. On to Lirielle's quests. Lirielle is the cat burglar-sneak thief, unlike Eloa. Her morals about human life are also more caring.

(4) Lirielle's Questline - An Eyestar for an Eyestar

These quests are more your everyday thieves guild missions, and meant for lower-level players, but higher level thieves. Talking to Lirielle about work or whatever the topic is will result in her telling you this, if you are a male: "Hi there, cutie. You're new in Helnim, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something about me. I absolutely LOVE anything shiny. And if you happen to have anything expensive, then consider it mine. Of course, I would never take anything from a stud like you, but Dremil Seniran is a little bit different. You see, he's the town jeweler. I often go into his shop to bathe in the brilliance of the wealth on display. Recently, he's been quite kind to me, and I just thought him an old dear. Until last week. I was down bathing in Helnim River, when I caught the old pervert watching me! He didn't realize that I saw him; I am a thief, after all, and know how to keep a straight face. But old freaks like that deserve to be punished. Of course, I don't think I would mind if someone like you were to see, but an old man like that? Talk about lack of class! The next day, I snuck into his shop and stole some Star's Eyes from a chest in his room. One problem, though - the guard spotted me. I managed to get out, but the guard is still on my tail. One thing I heard from Eloa over there, though - Dremil doesn't want this to turn into a full blown investigation, or else he won't be able to see me anymore, so he bribed the guard to keep it quiet. The thing is, though, I can't go back in there anymore to look at the gems. So I came up with a great plan - I had one of my forger connections make a fake Star's Eye. This is where you come in. I need you to kinda "un-steal" the eyestar for me. I'm sorry to put this on you, cutie, but I can't go back in there, or that guard is sure to do something. Can you put back the [Star's Eye]?" If you are a female, the dialogue slightly differs as follows- "Hi there, deary. You're new in Helnim, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something about me. I absolutely LOVE anything shiny. And if you happen to have anything expensive, then consider it mine. Of course, I would never take anything from a dear like you, but Dremil Seniran is a little bit different. You see, he's the town jeweler. I often go into his shop to bathe in the brilliance of the wealth on display. Recently, he's been quite kind to me, and I just thought him an old dear. Until last week. I was down bathing in Helnim River, when I caught the old pervert watching me! The nerve! He didn't realize that I saw him; I am a thief, after all, and know how to keep a straight face. But old freaks like that deserve to be punished. Talk about lack of class! The next day, I snuck into his shop and stole some Star's Eyes from a chest in his room. One problem, though - the guard spotted me. I managed to get out, but the guard is still on my tail. One thing I heard from Eloa over there, though - Dremil doesn't want this to turn into a full blown investigation, or else he won't be able to see me anymore, so he bribed the guard to keep it quiet. The thing is, though, I can't go back in there anymore to look at the gems. So I came up with a great plan - I had one of my forger connections make a fake Star's Eye. This is where you come in. I need you to kinda "un-steal" the eyestar for me. I'm sorry to put this on you, hun, but I can't go back in there, or that guard is sure to do something. Can you put back the [Star's Eye]?"

As said, the quester should add an empty chest to the Jeweler's top floor, near the window.

Again, post is getting insanely long, and I've run out of time. The next Lirielle quest will involve Why's big diamond (BIG and shiny). Then after that will be the Hofmund vs. Caedan quests, started off by the "Side Project" in Eloa's last quest.

Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

@ Beave - I'm just giving the dialogue I would use so as to develop characters and give background without just plain telling it. The quester would be able to change the dialogue to his liking.

Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

OK, really sorry about the triple post, this lack of editing ability is getting annoying. I missed something in the last quest - After putting the fake eyestar back, much like the Fake Soul Gem in Balmora MG, Lirielle will reward you with a Moonstone.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Keep it coming.

About the diamond, I haven't written anything, but I thought it would be cool if the player was ordered to steal the diamond, and once you try to pick it up, it'll start sending out blasts of fire damaging you if you are too close and curse the player, idk, lowering your fire resist or something. This instead of the dremora that spawns currently. Anyway, the player doesn't have the faintest idea what is happening, gets a journal entry that he obviously can't steal the diamond this way, has to return to the TG headquarter. The quest giver hands the player a letter from Llevari Telsaran (wizard of Tel Muthada), explaining she was the one who ordered the Thieves Guild to break into her tower, to test her security measures. You are given (what, 500, 1000?) gold for helping her and a scroll which lifts the curse.

Just a rough outline I was planning to refine later on. What do you think?
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Sounds clase Telvanni, great idea, along the lines of Therana's cursed skirt. Refined -

(4) Lirielle's Questline - Anonymous Request

Speak to Lirielle about work: "Oh, there you are, %PCName. We've gotten an anonymous request from a local to steal the mother of all shininess from Tel Muthada. Should be really well protected, as our anonymous friend is paying well. Be careful out there, OK, %PCName?" Of course, add gender specific dialogue for Lirielle, as I've already stated she's a girly-girl - flirt with the males, gossip with the females.
Per Why's suggestion, when the player tries to take the gem, it curses the player for 50% weakness to fire, then hits them for (current level * 5 + 10) damage. Most players should be able to survive this with low health, as it should do 90 damage at level 10. The player gets a journal entry, and not the diamond (possibly change the diamond to an activator?) Player then heads back to Lirielle, who tells the player that the request has been traced back to Llevari Telsaran after the player informs her of the mishap. The player then should visit Llevari, and Llevari will apologize for the trouble, explaining she was indeed the one who ordered the Thieves Guild to break into her tower, to test her security measures. You are given 1000 gold (she's rich enough to have a huge-ass diamond) for helping her and a scroll which fully heals most players (Restore Health 150 points or something?) and uses RemoveSpell to remove the curse. Quest Finished.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Sounds very good, except I don't think Llevari would ever apologize for anything, certainly not to the average thug. She's brutal, really, her bio can be found here ([url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19966]link[/url]). That's why I thought a brutal defense spell on what could be her most prized possession would fit nicely. I'd rather have her ask if her defense spell worked, reacting overjoyed if you say it nearly killed you, murmuring something about having to improve it if you say you got out nearly unscratched. She's not mean or anything though, so she'd still reward the player and lift the curse.

In fact, the way you wrote it, you can perhaps leave out the entire curse, just have the fire explosions on the diamond (easy to script, GetSecondsPassed, ExplodeSpell, GetDistance et cetera) and then trace back to Llevari, completing the quest and making confronting her optional. I didn't really like the curse part in the first place anyway, it was just there to force the player to abandon the diamond and return to his quest giver, which is unnecessary if we just give a clever journal entry and flashy explosions and damage to scare the player away from the diamond.

Anyway great job!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Just a note, the 'finding the Guild' 'non-quest' is already programmed, via dialogue with the bard Valtio. I would prefer to keep this, though if you can spice it up, feel free.

Falkoth is a weakling and being bribed/bullied by the Guild to keep quiet.

I will read the rest tomorrow morning when I'm more awake.

A few structural notes: Hoff is the boss, Valtio his right-hand man, and 'Dunmer guy in Mjornir's whose name I forget at this time' is the third lieutenant. I'm sure whatever quests you've provided can be tweaked for that.

I really appreciate your looking at this, Shapes. Again, will check more fully tomorrow.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

'Finding a Traitor' -- kinda works, though Valtio would be beyond suspicion as right-hand man. The only setting therefore is Mjornir's, why not have the quest be a test of loyalty between you and the Redguard girl who wants to join (now a double agent). Tiron Naren (let's have him replace Eloa) can give some kind of task to sort the men from the boys kinda thing?

'Midnight Murder' -- I like, though one guy carrying large sums of money on a backroad at night is unlikely and also hard to script well. Perhaps change some of the details, but in general very decent.

'Eyestar for Eyestar' -- Drenil Semiran is definitely not an old perv, he's a reputable Imperial subject who is very dignified, and might even be a Blades member, so the setting of the quest needs to change. I don't know about returning a stolen item? It's been done a few times, and the 'putting thing in a specific chest' thing always feels a bit wrong. Maybe change the nature of the task.

'Anonymous Request' -- Love it, you and Why have got this one sorted.

All in all, very solid, though some tweaks required. Please keep on throwing out ideas and we can work together to condense them and stick together a questline.

For a total sum, let's say 4/5 randoms from Tiron and Lirielle, 2/3 finals from Hoff/Valtio.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Two things, the eyestar will probably be removed from data ([url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22536]discussion here[/url]) and I really want to steal something using the balcony entrance of the Governor's house.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

The eyestar creature is what will be removed, all the eyestars in-game are containers somewhat like kollops.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that for me :)
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

For Anonymous Request, note that according to current plans if you have completed TR_m2_HT_LT4, Llevari will either be incapacitated or will not speak to the player.

(you can read the plan in the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21750]q1-80-Tel thread[/url], although it's not part of that claim)
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Why wrote:and making confronting her optional.
optional would include not being able to talk to her if the quest is finished. And, of course, you could always just skip the quest if she's dead, as I guess happens for most quests that are reliant on a character.

@BC -

Test of Loyalty-
See reworking at the bottom of this post

Midnight Murder-
With my limited scripting knowledge, I think a GetHour-type-thing (I'm not sure of the exact function) would work. Something like this-

Code: Select all

short midnight
      short walking
      set midnight to ( GetHour [I forget what to do here ATM] )
      if ( midnight == 0 )
         Enable
         set walking to 1
      endif

if ( walking == 1 )
        GetAIPackgescriptthingthatmakesactorsmove
        set walking to 2 ( right? )
     endif
end

summink' like that. Setting the walking to 2 at the end should prevent a CTD when the dude is killed, as the command has already been issued. Right? Because, most likely, you will kill him while he is still walking to his destination. Tell me what you think.

Eyestar 4 Eyestar
I guess you're right, with not only Galbedir but also Sirranwe the Viveccian Mage with the Chimavadarium. The fact that he's a respectable guy complicates things, though. I could either A. change the quest type, B. change it so Lirielle actually mistook the peeping tom for Drenil, and without knowing it wasn't him, took the Star's Eye, then later figured out ( This would be the same return-item quest, though ), C. think of a another solution that I haven't come up with yet, or D. incorporate B's idea into being a slightly more complex quest that ultimately isn't a "return this" quest.

I was planning on doing 2 for each of the minors, then 3 for the big man on campus. A question, though - is Lirielle a quest giver? I thought I just missed the whole part about the lieutenants being Mjolnir and Valtio (also, V. is a Blackcap, which is the like 2nd or 3rd rank. Shouldn't his rank reflect his position?)

Last question before the improved - is the Governor an honest guy, or can Caedan Jorval be collaborating with him for his TBA "side project?"

Without further ado,

(2 or 1, depending on initiation) Tiron Naren's Quest Line - Test of Loyalty

Naren is cold and ruthless, that's cool.

Talk to him for some work. He'll reply, "Hey, Probey. You're new around here. And one thing I've learned over my years in the guild is to NEVER trust the new guy. You may have proved some petty cunning to Hoff back at the base, but you sure as hell ain't earned my trust yet. It's funny, you know. There's been rumors of an information leak to our good ol' friends over at the Militia Headquarters. What a coincidence, you're new. Now, if you want to have a head on your shoulders tomorrow morning, you better find me the slimy bastard who's been ratting us out, or I'll assume you're the [traitor]. Got it?" (or something to that effect) Good old Hoff told you to ask him if you need anything. Head back to the HQ and talk to him about the topic "traitor." He'll reply with something along these lines - "Well, that's Tiron for you. A darn good thief, but quite the skeptic. I have an idea - head over to Valtio, my right-hand man. He's our branch's intelligence director, per say. He'll be able to help you sort out this mess."

Head over to the Red Drake and talk to Valtio. He'll reply that he's also been looking into the matter, and he's narrowed it down to two suspects - the Player, and Reema ( the Redguard ). He gives you the topic "Reema," which is important, BTW. Talking to Reema about her name will result in the normal, "Yes, that's me. How can I help you?" Talk to her about the "traitor" topic, and she'll reply, "How rude and ignorant of you to accuse ME of dealing with those Imperial scum. I've never even been near that foul stink-pile. Now get out of my sight. Goodbye." Go back to Valtio, and tell him about the conversation. He'll reply, "That's strange. I'm almost definitely sure that I saw her walk into the Headquarters a couple of weeks ago. Go out on the streets and see if you can get any testimonials from the locals." Talking about the topic "Reema" to some locals will affirm the fact that she did, indeed, go into the HQ on several occasions. Return to Reema, and present the facts to her. She'll confess, and present you with two choices- you can either kill her now, or let her escape, and never be seen on this side of Morrowind anymore in return for 500 septims, with the choices "Die, fetcher. We can't have traitors running around freely." or "I'll let you go this time, but if I ever see your face around here again, you're dead." After choosing something, return to Tiron to have him say something along the lines of, "Well, I guess you managed to prove your worth, %PCRank. Not only did you prove me wrong, but you got rid of a threat to the guild. I'll have to give you this one. Here's some equipment I picked up on my last mission - the dagger will be especially helpful. But don't expect me to be so soft next time. I have my eye on you." Tiron will then give you a iron dagger with drain health, let's say, 4-6 points for 3 seconds on Strike. Quest complete.[/b]

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

The problem with Midnight Murder is a) AI Travel is a horrendous buggy thing, and b) what if the player doesn't stop him? Will he just randomly stop walking? Or will we have to program him to walk all the way to Helnim, which is far too much work.

For Eyestar, I don't want Drenil's name sullied. I think change the quest type if you can.

Lirielle can be a questgiver. I had originally envisaged the questgivers as Tiron, Valtio and Hofmund, but I like the idea of the super-chilled Valtio being more of a background figure, who perhaps gets involved in Hofmund's quests. (And just to make sure, Mjornir has no explicit connection with the Guild, just the implicit one that he tolerates seedy characters in his alehouse) I had all the Lieutenants as Blackcaps, but Valtio could be bumped to Operative, but it's not that bad: it's the equivalent of a House Lawman (guard rank).

The Governor, as one would hope you would have picked up, is an utterly corrupt and disreputable failure. Caedan does all his substantial work seperately from the Gov, who's useless.

I very much like your new Test quest. It makes Tiron look cool and judgmental, Hofmund justifies the player being suspect, and Valtio gets to look chilled and all-knowing. Good stuff.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

The Governor is an incompetent fool who neglects the town and his family, spending his time eating, drinking and screwing a Dunmer woman who can be found in his private bedroom. I do suggest however that you keep interaction with him to a minimum as he might be featured in an Imperial Legion conflict line for the Telvanni Helnim Gambit (or has that plan been discarded?) and Caedan Jorval is the "good guy" on the Imperial side, as in the one that actually cares about the town and tries to make things better.

I don't really have an issue with returning the stolen item in the Eyestar quest, to me the fact that it has been done in vanilla just means we're on the right track, though I admit it's easy and a bit boring. Setting has to change yes, but I like the concept. If the dialogue is spicy enough the quest will be entertaining no matter how easy it technically is.

For Anonymous Request, yup I was aware of q1-80-Tel but I don't think it's a huge issue to lose one of the many possible early TG quests to a high-up House quest. We'll just have to build in some filters (Llevari herself telling you to drop the diamond operation once you start working for her on the Telvanni side, for instance)

Midnight Murder should be easy to script if you let lookoutScript (the one that makes Fargoth sneak around at night) inspire you. ;-)
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

wups, didn't read your message BC.
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

A quick response-

uno: I was under the impression that Jorval was the enemy of the Helnim TG. Is this not correct?

dos: where the hell is Helnim Gambit anything? I can't find it anywhere in the forums, not even in the archives, or else the search feature is faulty. What IS the Helnim Gambit? Has it only been discussed on the IRC?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21751]q2-23-Tel[/url]

Ah yea, I guess Jorval would indeed be an enemy of the TG. However he's needed in much grander schemes than early TG faction quests so I guess there should be no direct action against him in this claim.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Jorval is the reason the TG here is so underground, as explained in dialogue with Hofmund. Hofmund is definitely out for 'revenge' against Jorval, though as Why suggested this should not have massive upheaval as a result, but should nonetheless provide an 'enemy' of sort for the Guilds (perhaps more one sided because Jorval is now moving on to bigger things).
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

I think the extent of interaction with Jorval is going to be discovering the secret behind his "side project," a.k.a. not Helnim Bambi stuff, and eventually culminating in the foiling of his plans, that possibly would benefit the town, but definitely not the TG. I have some ideas, many of which are pretty cool, so I hope to have some time to get around to doing these quests soon.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Don't muck with Jorval too much. He is for all intents and purposes for this questline, a classic 'paladin' type character. He can be more ambiguous than that, but he shouldn't have any kind of evil master plan, if that's what you're suggesting.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Well, my plan that I was still refining was that Caedan was trying to pass a new bill cracking down on criminals harder, as this is something he would do for his city. This would warrant a search of every building in Helnim for local hideaways and ruffians on the wanted list. The TG obviously does not like this. Of course, the plan will be more developed and revealed more interestingly, but that's the main gist of it. No evil plot, just a not so B&W decision that the TG REALLY wants to stop, or they'll be out of business.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay. I have no objection as long as it's well developed. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Inspiration!

(6) Hofmund Quest Line - It's a Trap!

After Tiron's last quest, A Midnight Murder, you find a sheet of paper, talking about a "side project" of Caedan Jorval's. Turns out that you were speaking a bit too loudly at the bar to Tiron. After leaving the cell, he won't be there. Talk to Hofmund for some work- "Ah. So the course of life goes, %PCName. I wouldn't say it's your fault, but we've been lead into a trap. Caedan Jorval - the man referenced on the paper you found, and the sworn enemy of me, and anyone loyal to the guild - cares about his town and people. That is commendable. But sadly for us, we don't get along with law enforcement. I know Caedan's just trying to keep his town safe from criminals. But what he doesn't understand is that the Thieves' Guild is a respectable and time-honored faction, that doesn't aim to hurt the people, just balance the scale. This is where Caedan and I split paths. He is an ignorant fool, and the reason why we stow away in the basement of a cowardly clothier. He generalizes thieves, and makes our life hell by throwing us in jail alongside the street ruffians and brutes who tarnish our respectable name. Tiron Naren, the most loyal dog that's ever walked the face of Tamriel, was picked up by the guards. I don't know any details, I just know that if they get any info of our location from him, we're screwed. Big time. This calls for a jailbreak, and life, honor, and all earthly possessions are on the line here. What do you say, %PCName? You in or out?" (I get wordy with my dialogue. Just write it as you would see fit.) The player is then given a choice of yes or no. NOTE: This quest is very complicated script wise, but I know it to be possible. Bear with me.

Yes - "Good, I always knew you were loyal to the Guild, %PCName. He's being held at the jail across town. Security there is tight, though. It will be by no means an easy task. Of course, I'll send you along with the proper equipment, but that's not the only catch. While I'm sure you think invisibility will let you slip by all the guards, it's not going to be that easy. First of all, on sight, they'll throw you out, and if they're seeing you enough sneaking in, they might even arrest you (yes, totally inspired by Legend of Zelda). They've kept him in the back chamber, away from all the faulty cells and other criminals. They know he's good, and they're not taking any chances. I've been down there before - there are several doors, which, as you know, negate invisibility, and are, of course, locked. I don't know how many guards are patrolling, but they have set patrolling routes, and rarely stray from those paths. This is where their security fails - patterns can be learned and manipulated. You're smart, %PCName, find a way to get past the guards, which shouldn't be too hard with some invisibility, then open each door without them seeing you. There are 3 rooms before you get to the cell, if I remember correctly. I'll send you with some potions of invisibility, a nice set of probes and lockpicks (1 of each; master), and scrolls of divine intervention for you and Tiron. Best of luck, %PCName. You'll definitely need it." (Believe it or not, this is only the penultimate quest, or there might even be 2 more, which come to a conclusion) OK, scripting notes - Fargoth's script - PCDetect stuff. That should work. New basement cells need to be created (by quester?), and I can't see anything since my CS hates me, and I have to restart my computer every time I load it up. This shouldn't be too hard, though. NPCs have pathgrids, and they stop at every corner. There should be about 3 guards per room, 3 rooms. Each guard patrols his segment of the wall - make the wall-mazes increasingly more complex as the rooms progress. Doors between each room, locked and possibly trapped. I think that having something in the final cell room, like a distraction to get the guard away, might be overboard. This is already complex enough. Like some Map 1 quest, give the scroll of divine intervention (or a TR_teleport_scroll type thing) to Tiron, and he'll be gone and in the TG hideout under Falkoth's once you leave the cell - no more chances. Go through the jail per directions above, give Tiron the scroll. Teleport out or leave, talk to Hof. He'll thank you and give you a substantial reward. Sorry for the lack of dialogue and details at the end there, it's for brevity's sake.

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

There are already several (4, I believe - see attached PDR) TG members in the prison. If we're going to have a breakout mission, there's already plenty of scope to do so without throwing another member in there first.

Also, under absolutely no circumstances are we naming a TR quest after a Star Wars line turned internet joke.

Good to see some quest ideas coming up.
Attachments
ThievesGuildMap2.pdf
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

How about just "Trapped"
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Wasn't that jailbreak part of the Gambit?
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

I've made a pledge not to read the gambit questline, as I want to experience the craziness for myself when I first play the quest. Is a jailbreak a part of gambit? I'll break my pledge if I need to, but I just think these main quests are so crazy that reading the design would spoil the amazing-ness.

As for the last quest - cool, scriptable, fits with other quests? Am I good to go to base the next quest on this one?