Morrowind on Linux(Ubuntu)?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

gormanilius
Developer

Morrowind on Linux(Ubuntu)?

Post by gormanilius »

Hey I was wondering if anyone plays/mods morrowind using Linux, Ubuntu in specific? I have been considering the switch to it, and went on to download Ubuntu 8.04 and burn the image file to a cd.

If it is possible, could you explain how? I tried the 'demo' version of the OS and it seemed interesting enough. I understand that it is incompatible with a lot of software and games that were geared specifically towards mac or windows.

Besides Elder Scrolls and video software programs, I dont really need windows. I was considering the switch to be safer from virus' and constant crashes.

An alternative is that I could install it so I still have windows, but could choose which OS to use. This is ideal, but would more than likely a lot strain on the hard drive.
Back in a Tuxedo.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

I doubt Morrowind works, but you could always buy another hard drive and use one for Windows and one for Linux. I'm pretty sure it's possible.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Once Crystal Scrolls and OpenMW are completed, you'll be able to run them, no problem. Until then, I think you're stuck. Although if you get a virtual mode running in ubuntu it should work.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Well if you were going to run MW on Linux at all, Ubuntu would probably be your best shot.

If you have a fast computer with GOOD RAM and CPU and wanted to try a virtual mode, Im pretty sure VMWare might work, so you could load up a windows image on that and install MW on that image.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Linux? Ubuntu? What are these strange words that you speak? :?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Other Operating Systems (OS) ones that dont suck.

Linux is an OS thats used for alot of techinal funtions, some versions are not overly user-friendly (although Ubuntu is), but then again most are not meant to be.

EG:

[img]http://www.pleaselink.me/_/myconfinedspace/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/linux-windows-mac.jpg[/img]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Um... what is the bowling pin supposed to represent?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Lol um, well the picture is decribing the the functionality and relivance of each OS

Linux - Straight down to the core, eg: "a clean cut" OS

Windows - an OS with more of "a shaven look", eg made to look more appealing, better for users.

Mac - looks interesting but No functionality
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I see you've never used a Mac before ;-) You really don't understand these operating systems. Linux distros are very user-friendly these days, Windows is designed these days to try to keep up with OS X in terms of fashion and functionality. While it's still the largest percentage of the market, Windows' share has rapidly been decreasing, losing ground to both OS X and Linux due to both of them being generally either better looking and more powerful & robust, or easier, not to mention open source, respectively. (oh, and Linux is free) Equally to blame is, of course, Vista, but we shan't speak of that.

gormanilius
Developer

Post by gormanilius »

I went and downloaded the initial alpha of Windows 7. Too bad I dont have a spare computer to test it on. I would have to backup 60 gigs of music. Thats a pain. Part of the reason I am currently leaning towards installing Ubuntu so that I could dual boot on my computer, and thus still able to access windows. Then I shant need to emulate morrowind or other windows-specific products.

I have never owned a mac, although used one throughout middle school years. I didnt really enjoy it, because I was too used to Windows still.

Arnt Macs built completely different from PC's?
Back in a Tuxedo.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

The awesome thing about W7 is that in can run on shit all requirements as apposed to Vista which needs quite alot.

Yeah Mac's use a UNIX based OS (sort of like Linux, but not), I dont like them much either, nothing I use for work would run on a Mac, and they use different parts so even if you had the same specs they are more expensive than PCs.
Haplo wrote:I see you've never used a Mac before ;-) You really don't understand these operating systems.
The one thing about OS's for me is, Im not very good at explaining them. If you're talking about CISCO CCNA, ORACLE, MYSQL, SQL Server, SAP or other enterprises along those lines then im the guy to go to, I should be, Im CISCO CCNA and SQL certified. but anyway OS's not really.

Ive actaully used all these OSs before or at least versions of them. I still sometimes use to use GNU (GNOME)(Linux), and Fedora 7 (Linux), but Mainly XP and Im slowing starting to use Vista/W7. As for Macs I choose not to use them because for what I do; they cant run anything I need. (If your doing art or music, they're good, but you can still do that on a PC) eitherway I sometimes take a look at Mac laptops at Uni for friends, I think most of them are running Leopard or Tiger? idk, Im not familar with Mac OS's.

Anyway I just trying to give Yeti an straight foward Idea.
smokiespliff

Post by smokiespliff »

I use Mandriva Linux as my main OS and dual boot with XP for gaming. It's much more practical than trying to get the game and all it's user-made additions (eg. OMOD etc) to work on wine or cedega using linux. Cedega is a cool program to get windows games working on linux but its (an inexpensive) paid-for service and the latest games take awhile to be supported. Morrowind and Oblivion work on it afaik but if you start using mods I'm not too sure how far you'd get.

If you're thinking of making the big switch-a-roo then go for it! I got bitten by the linux bug years ago and loving it.
And remember, there's lots of different flavours of Linux (distros), and just because it's the most popular doesn't mean it's the best :D
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

gormanilius wrote:I went and downloaded the initial alpha of Windows 7. Too bad I dont have a spare computer to test it on. I would have to backup 60 gigs of music. Thats a pain.
If you have two hard drives, you can install it on the non-OS hard drive, that's what I did.
RelinQ wrote:Yeah Mac's use a UNIX based OS (sort of like Linux, but not), I dont like them much either, nothing I use for work would run on a Mac, and they use different parts so even if you had the same specs they are more expensive than PCs.
I think starting with the newer Macs they've stopped using UNIX, part of going with Intel processors these days, so that they can run Windows in Boot Camp, etc.

ko2fan
Website Administrator

Post by ko2fan »

Mac OSX has always been and always will be a UNIX OS, its now UNIX certified. It is based on a Mach/FreeBSD kernel and FreeBSD userland, together they call it Darwin, which is free and open source software that can run on PCs and Macs alike.

Linux is just a cheap nasty clone of the UNIX kernel, created back when UNIX was owned by AT&T and it was seen as too expensive for normal users. The reason that you get thousands of different Linux "distributions" is because anyone can take the kernel and build an OS around it. This obviously can cause lots of inconsistancies between Linux distributions, and sometimes can be a nightmare getting software to run on all different distributions well.

FreeBSD is a UNIX-based OS, that came from the original BSD project that makes up most of modern day OSs (such as virtual memory, TCP/IP networking, etc). It was split off from AT&T UNIX so it did not infringe copyrights/patents.

</history lesson>

To the original poster, using a virtual machine such as virtual box (free and open source runs well on Mac, Unix, Linux and Windows) or wine should be able to run Morrowind. As has been mentioned there are attempts to make a free and open source remake of Morrowind called OpenMW, I don't believe they have a very playable version of it yet.

--
garfield
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

FreeBSD = ewww Ewww EWWW,
FreeBSD is a fucking horrible OS, at least the version I used. DO NOT WANT!... ...EVER

I admit some of the older distros had their flaws but Most Linux OS's a fairly consistant nowadays actaully.

The newest version of Arch, Gnome, Fedora 10 and even Fedora 11 which I think is arriving in like 2 weeks time? are great improvements.

And you can still do more on a Linux OS than on a Mac OS. Evidently though they wont designed for the same purpose, obviously, but it hasnt stop Linux itself making compitable drivers and patches for other software.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I dual boot vista and Ubuntu on my laptop. If I could find a way to game on Linux I'd never go back to Windows. As it stands now though I use Ubuntu for everything not gaming/modding related. I know its possible to run Morrowind on Ubuntu, and I'm pretty sure it works through Wine, although I'm not sure how stable it is. As far as running the CS though, I have no idea.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
ko2fan
Website Administrator

Post by ko2fan »

RelinQ wrote:FreeBSD = ewww Ewww EWWW,
FreeBSD is a fucking horrible OS, at least the version I used. DO NOT WANT!... ...EVER

I admit some of the older distros had their flaws but Most Linux OS's a fairly consistant nowadays actaully.

The newest version of Arch, Gnome, Fedora 10 and even Fedora 11 which I think is arriving in like 2 weeks time? are great improvements.

And you can still do more on a Linux OS than on a Mac OS. Evidently though they wont designed for the same purpose, obviously, but it hasnt stop Linux itself making compitable drivers and patches for other software.
FreeBSD is considered the best enterprise OS you can use. I use it every day. I have 11 years of experience as a systems admin, so I think I know what makes a good OS :)

I don't see how its even possible to do more on a Linux OS than on a Mac OS. The only limit is in the programmer's skill. Both allow you to create kernel modules, drivers and even edit the kernel itself.

Linux itself is a dead-end, mainly because its being pulled in too many different directions and theres not enough collaboration in the right areas. Until Linux decides whether its a server OS or a desktop OS it will always be a jack of all trades, master of none. Not to mention it has the worst license ever created, there should be laws against restrictions that nasty.

--
garfield
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

better be careful or richard stallman will EAT YOUR BRAIN
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Aurix

Post by Aurix »

You can get morrowind running under wine, I've done it before. Check out the linux page on the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Linux]wiki[/url]. Of course, it's going to be easier to just run it under windows, but whatever floats your boat.

Oh, and garfield, wow, thank you for your pro-BSD/OSX propaganda. It's very refreshing after hearing tons of pro-Windows propaganda.