q2-24-Imp

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

As far as puzzles and such, it might be nice to have the player work them out on their own, but with help from the archaeologists. Perhaps have a bunch of TR folks or certain TES folks try to play through the quests and solve the puzzles by themselves and then hopefully we can find that they all have problems at about the same point, and add archaeologist dialogue for those bits, and maybe just a tad more for redundancy's sake for the not-so-brilliant players.

To be honest I'm sure the solutions will end up on the UESP TR guide anyway.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Ok, will add "Excavations in Fzekic" quest. Renie can then tell you she thinks the key might be for the next area (markings are similar, or somesuch), thus kicking off the next section (which we can split into 2 or 3 quests).

Playtesting to gauge difficulty is a good idea Hap - but they're not allowed to read this thread first!

Will pick it up when I get home tonight.

-Skwoz

Just a thought: have these new interiors been reviewed yet?
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Map should now be accurate.

It seemed Hemi just put them in this thread so I don't know if they have been reviewed.

Fzekic lies on the border of the IAS territory (has only one hostile creature) so it makes sense the IAS is slowly expanding their territory one cell at a time.

I have another idea for a side quest in Kemel-Ze, something along the lines of "Mapping Kemel-Ze".

Roland, the Redguard Archaeologian in the Base, besides offering help with the puzzles and the likes, has a side quest for the player. He is busy with mapping Kemel-Ze.

He has about 5 basically passive side quests which deal with the exploring of areas of Kemel-Ze.

I'm thinking there would be 6 version of the Kemel-Ze map;
- Inaccurate map to Kemel-Ze
- Simple map to Kemel-Ze
- Acceptable map to Kemel-Ze
- Expanded map to Kemel-Ze
- Advanced map to Kemel-Ze
- Perfect map to Kemel-Ze

Every time the player enters a cell in Kemel-Ze (after accepting the quest) they will get a journal update "I have discovered [Location]." Once discovering enough locations relevant to Roland's current quest, you can share with him the information, return in a day and he will give you the next level map.

Q1: Get Inaccurate map. Roland wants the player to check the area between Aster and the Base, (that's what this current map covers). He believes the map is completely useless, which it is.

Return to Roland, a day later you get "Simple map to Kemel-Ze", with an accurate depiction of the area between Aster and the Base.

Q2: Roland wants the player to map all remaining IAS locations. (So the remaining blue cells on the map). Once done. Wait day. Get Acceptable map.

... Well that's the basic idea. Note that the quest is very passive, not "Find cell X", go to "Cell y, z and w". It's just a general direction: "Check the area between Aster and the Base", "Visit the rest of the IAS locations". Reward is 1. An increasingly better map. 2. Something dwemer.
Attachments
Kemel-Ze_Paint_Colored_Legend_Correct.JPG
(105.04 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Playtesting it on highest difficulty is a great idea. I also like your mapmaking idea IP, it would help the player a lot. It would be awesome to have a giant map of Kemel-Ze in the archeologists' base, showing which areas you have found, but I don't know how feastible that is. Maybe just giving the player the map is a better idea indeed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Come to think of it, are a lot of these puzzles already in the released map? Or are most of them from the quests here

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

There are a lot of puzzles already in our released file, a couple are broken in the public release but have been fixed in TR_Mainland. The green cells in IP's latest map are all that's new (plus a new entrance that isn't on the map yet). The puzzles there still need to be scripted though, that can be done by whoever claims this.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

immortal_pigs wrote:I'm thinking there would be 6 version of the Kemel-Ze map;
- Inaccurate map to Kemel-Ze
- Simple map to Kemel-Ze
- Acceptable map to Kemel-Ze
- Expanded map to Kemel-Ze
- Advanced map to Kemel-Ze
- Perfect map to Kemel-Ze
How detailed would the pictures have to be? It would be an awfully big map!
Haplo wrote:Come to think of it, are a lot of these puzzles already in the released map? Or are most of them from the quests here
Most are new (as yet not implemented).

Quest plan updated. The Telvanni bribe has been simplified - it's really just a flavour quest. You now have to explore Fzekic with one of the Archeologists before Renie gives you the key. A few other minor changes/comments added. We can add in IP's map quest pending the pictures being created.

I would be happy to script the puzzles.
Attachments
IAS Questline.pdf
(67.44 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

1. I think it would be good if there were some kind of guild guide between the IAS in Helnim and the Base in Kemel-Ze. However not from the get-go, because we would want the player to ascend the stairs from Marog to Kemel-Ze a couple times at first.

Having access to the guild guide between the two locations would be some kind perk part of the Archaeologian rank for example.

2. There are some things that are basically necessary when spelunking around in Kemel-Ze. Since the IAS is kind of professional, they should offer those things relevant to exploring Kemel-Ze.

- Water-Breathing (Chefidz Bassin)
- Open Spells
- Lockpicks/Probes
- Scrolls/Spells of Light
- Torches, Candles, Chandeliers, Lanterns
- Night Eye
- Levitation (for crossing lava pools)

I'm thinking one NPC focused on spells useful to Kemel-Ze, one general pawnbroker with lockpicks, torches and the odd scroll, and one NPC selling scrolls, enchanted items and potions.

3. Does anyone know how it works to make those pictures? I know theviking made maps which we put in game, so it should be possible for Kemel-Ze. Maybe they need to be in a specific format?

If they're too large, we make separate maps; one for IAS territory, one for the Lzigat offshoot, one for the undiscovered area past Stafaznir.
Attachments
Mapping_Kemel-Ze.pdf
(452.56 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

TGA or DDS (not sure) files with transparent backgrounds.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'm a bit worried about the total non-involvement of the Helnim part of the guild. Maybe send the PC there as a messenger after the bribe quest thingy. I also still like an entrance exam style thing, but that's just my personal opinion.

Other than that, solid design. We should also have a couple of dwemer detonation charges (or whatever they're called) laying about so the player can blow his way into Wake of Starborne without IAS help to make this completely freeformable.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Does anyone know how to make the background seem natural rather then the way it is now?
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 195.jpg
(149.03 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

You've got to set it to transparency. Most programs can do that easily.

That font is kinda awful, btw. If you don't have one that looks like handwriting, just use Morrowind's standard book font.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

And if it's just gonna be lines and names, frankly I'd rather not do it at all.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Certainly not in a way that looks like it took five minutes to make in MS Paint.

How about this: instead of making a map of the whole place, add some kind of objects that give the player an idea of where to go. For example: a certain small marking near every door that will take you closer to the exit.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I wouldn't suggest making an entire map of the place as it probably won't look good in game. I'm in favor of making multiple smaller maps (one for the area between Aster and the Base, one for the area between the Base and Stafaznir and one of the area beyond Stafaznir).

I agree just lines and names would look too amateurish, so I'm thinking of adding small drawings like theviking did for his Telvannis maps. Something simple but efficiently representative of the respective cell.

Does this font look good? As far as I know you can't import Morrowind's font into GIMP so any suggestions for a better font will be implemented.
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 190.jpg
(154.67 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Hmm... Eras looks a tiny bit better but it still won't fit in Morrowind.

I've been thinking about this, and I reckon that the Kemel-Ze cell map wouldn't be the way to do this. It's all well and good for us looking from the outside in, but for the PC actually playing through the dungeon the only use it has is for letting them know which cell to go through on their way to another cell. It doesn't offer any assistance as to actually find a way to get there. It also leaves the effect that the cells (names and actual design) are every bit as arbitrary and convenient for their construction as they are.

IMO the way to do this would be to actually draw, roughly and without fine detail, the dungeon floor plan.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

EDIT: Oh, wait, can't edit here :]

DOUBLE POST: A quick google search for a handwriting font turned up this one which I reckon could look good for the map: [url=http://simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/maxs_handwritin.html]Max's Handwritin[/url]. Once installed, Gimp should be able to use it or any other font no problems.

I'm not familiar enough with Gimp to know what it can do to un-MS Paint the lines. But as above, I don't reckon that type of map would be any good in-game.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

immortal_pigs wrote:I agree just lines and names would look too amateurish, so I'm thinking of adding small drawings like theviking did for his Telvannis maps. Something simple but efficiently representative of the respective cell.
I think this would be the way forward - but very hard too make it look good. If this is done, it should be done well.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I believe drawing the map (as in with the hand and stuff) and then using Photoshop to turn it into a booktexture (I could do this) would be better.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

How about some quests in Amthuandz? It's a really well made place (I love the bridges outside) and it would be a shame to leave it as just a standard dungeon. You could keep the main quest in Kemel-Ze intact but have a 3 quest long or so side-quest in Amthuandz the player can do when they've joined. Alternatively you could do a few quests there part way through the main Kemel-Ze quest to advance further.

In addition, is it really fair to imagine the Imperial Archeological Society would concern itself souly with Dwemer Ruins? Their base in Helnim certainly suggests otherwise, with copies of the History of the Empire lying around and a girl with a large knowledge of Dunmer history. Therefor it seems a bit odd to only allow the player to help the Society in Dwemer Ruins. At least a book fetching quest or two back in their Helnim base would help, but I think we could go a bit further than that. Perhaps the Society need your help investigating Daedric ruins, find the fate of an ancient Dunmer hero by investigating Ancestral Tombs, and if all else fails doing favours for freelance Archeologists to get some information from them.

The easiest way to implement these would probably to have them as side quests to the main Kemel-Ze story, or maybe the quest line could take the player from Kemel-Ze back to Helnim and around various sites as they progress through the ranks.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Is a map still wanted? I'd be willing to draw one and make a book texture for it.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Greatness, yes to those things. Aeven, if you can be bothered to draw a nice looking one that would be both useful and an actual reward, then go ahead.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Awesome. I'll start pondering some specific quests. How about if I plan a short questline for Amthuandz, and if I have a bit of spare time I'll make some misc quests for guild members only. I think this could be a really interesting guild if we give it little distractions like this, and I'd love to see more of them in map 3 (although I doubt the Indoril would like that).

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I've been having a look at Amthuandz for some inspiration as to what the quest may entail, but really it's nothing to write home about. Considering it has such an awesome exterior I think it could be much better; as it is it's nothing but a missed opertunity. I think we could benefit a lot from this claim being redone or expanded. It would make the awesome exterior less wasted and would serve as a better base for a few quests.

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I've been working on the questline (I can post it up if you want) but I've designed a quest supposed to be based around Chefidz. However, I can't figure out hot Hemi's Chefidz areas are supposed to link to Chefidz Bassin. I was kind of hoping that a secret exit could be made out of Chefidz to under the sea outside Kemel-Ze, maybe through a bandit cave or something: as you can see there's a great underwater bit in Chefidz that leads to no-where. I was thinking maybe it could lead through Hemi's areas, maybe out of one of that underwater grill in Chefidz: MavFarovd.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

According to Hemi's doc file his Chefidz: Mavfarovd is supposed to link to Chefidz Basin at the northmarker, which is a grille, so my guess is an underwater grille should be added to Chefidz Basin. (duh. :P)

I'd love to see your questline. Also, we already have quite a lot of interiors, so I think you're gonna have to come up with quite the perfect quest to justify making yet another one.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Double post, there's no edit, this is my "I don't care" face.

I've started gathering all past and present plans for IAS quests so that me and Stryker and any other quester can do a session on them like we did for the EEC. So yeah, please do post those plans of yours as soon as you get the time, so that I can include them :D
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Let's give this Google Docs thing a try...

Here we are...

I'd love to help you and Stryker if that's possible. Will you guys be talking by IRC?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

You're gonna need to allow people with the link to actually see the file ;)
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yeah, we'll be on IRC, you're welcome to join us. Don't know when we'll both be online though.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I swear it's set to 'anyone with the link' :? . Does this work?

I need help getting IRC. I downloaded mIRC and when I start it there's this thing that asks for a username and stuff and I have no idea how to log onto TR's IRC and how to make an account and stuff. Is there a tutorial for this stuff? The mIRC website has nothing.

Anyway, I meant to say that the questline I posted is fairly unfinished, and I was planning to bulk it up with quests on either side of quest 7. However, I'm very pleased with the progression up to quest 6.

What's going on with the edit button? As you can see from our relentless double posting it's dissapeared again.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I've never had an edit button in Quests:Design. :o

Well, you'll need to log on to the ChatSpike server, it is in the default mIRC list, and when you've connected to that server you get the option of joining channels, #tamriel is ours.

You've got some nice designs there. However I don't really want to expand Amthuandz (too much). Kemel-Ze is fucking massive, and by that I mean, MASSIVE. I guess the large IAS presence at Amthuandz justifies at least some quest to take place there. However, I am also of the opinion that the IAS questline should not be a traditional "faction" questline. The player should be able to uncover all of Kemel-Ze on their own, and the IAS questline should be a way of guiding the player through the ruins, giving them direction, and possibly a hint or two if the puzzles prove to be too hard. That means that while we can include something in Amthuandz, it should be directly related to (a) puzzle(s) in Kemel-Ze, be a mean of progressing in Kemel-Ze, not an entire awesome new ruin excavation of its own.

I do think the three Lzigat's keys could be used to open some sort of puzzle/container in Amthuandz. But please, nothing too elaborate.

Yesterday I took MMMSkwoz's file and annotated it, here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SSX ... y=COGcu-YF
That should help convey my ideas better, I think.

I think our priority has to be to first fix up Hemi's file, script it and make it mergeable. I'm pretty familiar with it so I think I can do that the quickest.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

The reason I wanted to expand Amthuandz was that it had a truely awesome exterior. I walked into it once without expected and was amazed. So I duly headed down to the entrance to see the stunning interior within. To say I was dissapointed when I found a single room with a few corridors running round it is an understatement. However, it doesn't need to be too big. About two or three Hemi style cells should do the trick.

I do agree that the player should be able to explore all of Kemel-Ze without joining the IAS. I also thinking that even if the player completes the questline a lot of Kemel-ze should be left for the player to explore. I don't really think there should be a quest that takes the player right to the bottom of Kemel-Ze, and that's why I don't like MowSkwoz's plans. There are some really nice and detailed plans to begin with and then you return to Renie and she basically says 'now go explore all of Kemel-Ze, bitch'.

If you can merge in Hemi's file that would be fantastic. As for the quests, I say something like this:

-Start with my quests 1 and 2.
-Next have MowSkwoz's quest Ren1, 2 and 3, but swap 2 and 3.
-Next my quest 4, 5 and 6.
-Possibly my quest 7, but it is a bit shaky. A few (2 or 3?) explorey quests should go here. Maybe one of MowSkwoz's could be moved here.
-A conclusion, possibly with some big discovery or event.

That's a good 11/12 quest long story, probably about the right length.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Pasted for Why:

[11-14-2010 - 19:17] <~Haplo> here's what we should do
[11-14-2010 - 19:17] <Why> then I'll merge it into your mainland .esp and link everything up
[11-14-2010 - 19:17] <Why> listening
[11-14-2010 - 19:18] <~Haplo> I'm gonna send TR_Mainland to you, you merge hemi's esp to TR_Mainland, do your stuff, and keep a list of the unreviewed interiors and any of the new stuff (entrances) you add/work on, so TF| can look it over once it's all done.
[11-14-2010 - 19:18] <Why> ok, will do
[11-14-2010 - 19:20] <~TF|> woiks fo me
[11-14-2010 - 19:23] <Why> in that case it is probably best if TF| takes a quick glance at Hemi's cells before I start, just to see if there aren't any ridiculous cells that shouldn't exist
[11-14-2010 - 19:24] <Why> not for errors, just the general theme
[11-14-2010 - 19:25] <Why> since there are some pretty large things, like a big underground tower, an orrery, an ice cave, a big lava lake, a sort of council chamber et cetera
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <~TF|> the fuck, an ice cave?
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <~TF|> no
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <Why> it's not really an ice cave, it's the water resevoir that's frozen over due to lack of a heat source
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <~Haplo> is this a pocket realm?
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <Why> it can get pretty cold underground
[11-14-2010 - 19:26] <~Haplo> I think TF| should download it and check it otu
[11-14-2010 - 19:27] <Why> there's a documentation file too, that might explain things like the ice cave
[11-14-2010 - 19:27] <~TF|> I think it doesn't get that cold
[11-14-2010 - 19:27] <Why> it's a nice puzzle though ;)
[11-14-2010 - 19:27] <~Haplo> it does actually, but only when you get much deeper than I think any kidn of humanoids would go
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <~TF|> at some point you have to hit the mantle
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <~TF|> I figure that would come first
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <Why> well, in the real world I do believe there's a whole lot of cold stuff before you even get close to the mantle
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <~Haplo> ^
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <Why> but, we could just say that the dwemer heating system reversed
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <~Haplo> either way it seems iffy and I think TF| should download the file and look at it
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <Why> if natural cold isn't enough
[11-14-2010 - 19:28] <~Haplo> dwemer cooling event
[11-14-2010 - 19:29] <~Haplo> machine*
[11-14-2010 - 19:29] <Why> but yeah, that ice cave thing was one of the things that worried me
[11-14-2010 - 19:29] <Why> it uses the ice cave mesh at least, that could and should probably be replaced by normal
[11-14-2010 - 19:29] <~TF|> link the file
[11-14-2010 - 19:30] <~Haplo> he already did
[11-14-2010 - 19:30] <~Haplo> scroll up a bit
[11-14-2010 - 19:30] <~Haplo> its the post url, #283026
[11-14-2010 - 19:30] <Why> http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=283026#283026 That post with BC contains both the .esp and a .doc explaining it
[11-14-2010 - 19:48] <Why> oh, in case you were wondering where these cells would end up TF|, they'd be the most remote cells in Kemel-Ze, locked since the disappearence of the dwarves, which is also why certain things look so untouched, like Bthalag: Asturmz

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I was trying to say this on IRC, but there were 3 other conversations going on at the same time, so yeah...

My current quest 7 is completely flawed, because the smugglers manage to run through a puzzle which is meant to take 48 and shut the door behind them (so to speak), so I thought of moving them into Hemi's room with the huge observatory. This achieves another thing; it would create a very good quest where the player escorts an astrology expert there. Que great discovery.

All this would create a very nice lead to the conclusion. One thing that sprung to mind was a puzzle that depends on the position of the stars from the view of KZ or something; the astologer gives you a star plan which relates to a puzzle somewhere. This was actually the plan behind my idea of a hidden vault beneath the King's Tomb, but that's a bit daft really.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I was thinking about dungeons and bullshit cuz thats the coolest thing right and then I looked at what you guys had and honestly I wasn't too thrilled. First of all, there's a lot flailing and very little narrative and it honestly just isn't all that great. Second of all, and more importantly, Hemitheon's puzzles were very inorganic: some "test" bullshit? WTF is that? Any puzzles that show up need to be naturally flowing from what the IAS is doing, not some sort of artificial tests thrown up. Anyway, in response to that, I wrote my own questline. Its very rough because I did it in 45 minutes, but maybe you guys will like the general idea.

General Notes

First a note about the Dwemer: there's really a strange divergence between the way the Dwemer ruins portray Dwemer culture and the way they were conceived of by writers and developers. Going by the ruins, one would imagine a race of steampunk magicians with the sort of boring bullshit like mechs and magic science and that sort of nonsense. The way the Dwemer are written about, though, is much more esoteric, with their tonal architects and so forth. How do we explain this strange split?

What occurred to me is this image that as the Dwemer history progressed, the Dwemer increasingly became a minority in their cities. Most fancifully, one could imagine a scenario in which a Dwemer tinkerer, maybe even a child, developed a brass atronarch (read: the progenitor of the centurions) which had some sort of robust, creative problem-solving capabilities: the steam singularity event. This robotic being, tasked with providing for some trifling need, quickly multiplied itself, expanded its mission, and created the legions of steam centurions who built for themselves enormous cities and factories, ultimately taking it upon themselves to provide for every earthly need of the entire Dwemer race.

This event was of only passing interest to the dwarves themselves, who noted the industriousness of their lower creation and got over it. Thus, one should imagine that these ruins are (especially the later ruins, like Kemelze) not so much the work of the Dwemer but the work of the automatons the Dwemer had created. In the Dwemer society, they themselves occupied a priveleged class of aristocratic scholar-priests, while the legions of workmen were all made of metal.

On to the topic at hand, the player's role in the IAS should be understood the way the player should always be understood in factions: as a hired adventurer. He is not an academic, he is the muscle that the IAS hires to help with their research, ultimately taking on a more respectable role as he proves himself by completing the various quests. The IAS would have 5 ranks, 3 of which the player is able to obtain:
  • Porter/Purveyor/Whatever: This rank is what the player is actually hired to do, as I just described. Muscle, both for labor and arms.
    Archeologian - This rank the player ultimately achieves makes him a peer of the other archeologians and really a full member of the IAS. Obviously the player isn't going to fill the same role the archeologians all fill because this is an RPG, but it marks a shift in the way faction members treat the player.
    {Advanced Archeologian} - The last rank the player achieves at the end of the questline, this is not a leadership position but its a higher rank than the average archelogian.
    {Taskforce Leader}: Questgiver title, the head of a particular dig.
    Praelector: The head of the IAS in Morrowind, at the Helnim guildhall.
Q1 - Getting into the IAS (Achieve First Rank)

This quest with the keys is okay as a quest but seems a bit farfetched. Needs polish. Tie it in to Q3.

Q2 - Generic Quest

Escort quest, whatever, with the bombs and whatever. This is just a sort of "grunt" quest to show what Porters actually do.

Q3 - Puzzle #1

There's something already implemented with lava and bullshit? Look into having that be the first puzzle-quest. Only instead, its part of Renie's personal project; the Dwemer themselves did not travel by steam train or elevator or bullshit, they teleported. Right near the IAS base is a deactivated teleporter, which Renie believes will connect them to totally untouched parts of the ruin. Unfortunately, this isn't enough to get it working.

Q4 - Generic Quest: Turning on the Tap

Renie believes the problem is that the loop is broken at another point as well. Also, there's a lower section of the ruin that the IAS wants to get into, but the only access is through an old factory that does some trivial thing. Renie believes the last part of the loop may be here. She wants you to help some other NPC, who doesn't like adventurer types, gain access to that lower level. Entrance to the factory is provided by an elevator (see Aaron's) which unfortunately is nonfunctioning.

Like all Dwemer ruins, this factory is powered by hydrothermal power, steam heated by lava rises through the factory to the percolation net at the top, where it is recycled and then pours down into the factory again. The problem seems to be that the percolation net is broken and the water is all frozen. Only the lights work because of a failsafe system. See hemitheon's quest with the fire you use to unfreeze this shit. Be cautious, though, the percolation net is a crucial part of the Dwemer system and it is still guarded by armed centurions. Once you complete this quest, all sorts of machines in this part of the ruin that were dead now work again.

Q5 - Puzzle #2: Turning it Back Off (Achieve Second Rank)

Once youre into the factory, there's a new problem (of course). By reactivating the factor's central power supply, you've turned the entire factory back on. The only way from this part of the factory into the rest of this new level of Kemelze is threw a factory assembly line that blocks the way or kills people as long as it is turned on. Additionally, the doors in this section use cranks. To use the doors and elevators but turn off the factory, you need to redirect the water supply from the main boiler to the secondary one, which doesn't power the machine. This means some clever puzzle involving cranks and whatnot.

To get to that puzzle you pass through some sort of loading area which has several centurions all sitting in it deactivated. Once the water is properly redirected, though, they will sense an intruder and to get back to the centrifuge where the elevator shaft, questgiver, and factory assembly line are, the player needs to fight his way through the robots that they already walked past.

Q6 - Generic Quest: Go Fetch

The unfriendly questgiver is going to set up a small camp and start ecscavating this part of the ruin, the player should send a report up to the Renie or whatever, who is impressed with your effort and gives you the archeologian rank. Speaking of which, she thinks she's going to need some macguffin for her teleporter that they don't have any of in Kemelze.

There are some in some other ruin, that is preferable not too far away for the player to travel (seriously I remember doing the first TG quest in Map1 and having to go hella days for some bullshit, don't do that you guys). Isn't there another ruin on Map 2 with an IAS guild? If so, go there. If not, its some nearby ruin that the IAS visited and she knows they have them there.

Q7 - Generic Quest

Once the player gets back to her, she wants them down in the ruin where they were before. Past the factory, there's a new camp set up, and there is a nonfunctioning teleporter. The player does some generic quest.

Q8 - Puzzle #3: Climactic Final Moments (Achieve Final Rank)

Then there's some puzzle, some drama with monsters, the player earns the respect of the questgiver down here, and the player turns on the teleporter. The teleporter is a loop of 3, entering here takes the player back to Renie. Entering at Renie takes the player to an untouched part of the ruin full of loot and bad guys thats otherwise inaccessible. Entering there takes the player back to this camp.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This quest plan sounds really good and actually enjoyable. Not the basic fetch plan but more a discovery quest.

And yes, there is another Dwemer ruin with an IAS camp.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Sounds very good, imo.

The "tests" in Hemi's file refer to [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/content/morrowind-guylaines-architecture-second-empire]this[/url] in-game book. I think, gameplay wise, it is kinda awesome to reward the player for actually reading stuff like that, and the puzzles themselves are quite neat. Having said that, they are indeed a bit artificial.

Would it be plausible to keep them as a sort of defense mechanism for the inner chambers they link to?

Love the steam singularity thing, creates an entire different perspective to look at the ruins.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I've forgotten what's in Hemi's file and which of these puzzles already exist. Does this plan need any new ints/elements to be created, or are all these things in existence already? If not, we'll need someone to get on that.

Once all the ints are finally in place and ready, we can get a final plan sorted out and this would basically be ready for claiming. This outline is great, thankyou Sload; in the meanwhile we'll also need some things to fill in the generic quest slots, but not too generic, keep them relevant and interesting.

I think if the ints could be produced in a reasonable time, then this should aim to be part of the forthcoming M2 release, as it's kinda the point of the entire map.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Sload wrote:Q6 - Generic Quest: Go Fetch

The unfriendly questgiver is going to set up a small camp and start ecscavating this part of the ruin, the player should send a report up to the Renie or whatever, who is impressed with your effort and gives you the archeologian rank. Speaking of which, she thinks she's going to need some macguffin for her teleporter that they don't have any of in Kemelze.

There are some in some other ruin, that is preferable not too far away for the player to travel (seriously I remember doing the first TG quest in Map1 and having to go hella days for some bullshit, don't do that you guys). Isn't there another ruin on Map 2 with an IAS guild? If so, go there. If not, its some nearby ruin that the IAS visited and she knows they have them there.
There is Archtumz. It's map 1, but I would prefer having it tied in with the IAS questline for another reason: at the moment, there is no way to get access to the ruin without having to sneak past the imperial guard (and risking guild suspension, probably). This doesn't make much sense for a player with a high IAS rank. Also, many people will probably never find the ruin in the first place: The entrance (through Palisnabat) is blocked by a guard whose dialogue sounds like a Morrowind euphemism for "don't go further or you might break a quest". So I think it wouldn't harm to give the player (official) access to this place and a little fetchjob.

BC Edit: That ruin exists for a misc quest given in Ashamul, where the player's working for smugglers. We could add in an optional path for members of the IAS for that quest, but that ruin's already in use.