Unique Landscapes

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Worsas
Developer

Unique Landscapes

Post by Worsas »

A question and an offer:

As you all know, all Vvardenfell Regions have own landscape-setups. Most of the ground-textures, plants and rocks are unique to their region.
Seeing that many of TR-regions like Molagread, the Boethian Mountains etc. have already reached their final state it's, of course, out of question to have entirely different landscape-setups for each region, not to mention the amount of additional work this would mean.

So I had the following idea:
Instead of having entirely different landscape-setups one or two features which are really unique to their region. What I imagine are things like trees only growing in one region, or perhaps a particular ground texture or a shrub or a certain ingredient-giving plant for a region.
I think it would add a lot to the quality of Morrowinds Wilderness if each region had at least one remarkable 3D-Artpiece of its own. It would make a slight, yet noticable difference.

I don't want to indicate, in any way, the regions as done currently would be in any way one-sided or boring. From what I've seen yet, they are well-done, if not excellent.
So what I'm primarily aiming for is only to give TR-regions a more autonomous and stronger identity by giving them more uniqueness.

My offer therefore is to make those models for you and moreover take care for them to be distributed over the regions. Those changes would be part of a TR-dependent plugin that you could eventually merge into the Mainland-plugin. Otherwise it would still make an interesting TR-related mod.
Then my question in this connection would be: Are our concept artists interested in designing some unique landscape art for our regions, also for the ones already made? Would you be prepared to give suggestions and comments when I present my 3D Art?

It's that I would really like to make this, but then again I don't have the right idea about what could be fitting.

----------------------

Apart from that at, at least one or two complete landscape-setups for the southern Morrowind would be a great thing. Again I would offer to help here.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

A single unique static doesn't make a region unique. So I think it would be a bit of a superfluous activity to start dividing some unique shrubs over regions without any real reason why they would not grown in other regions too.

That said, I think TR could definitely use new plants. And I'm sure some artists (including me) would enjoy designing them.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Okay, I can understand that.

Still I think that a remarkable rock-formation or a certain plant would make a nice addition, perhaps rather a nice tidbit than a deciding difference.
The lack of a perfect plausibility for the detail to be there also wouldn't be a point keeping me from doing this, seeing also that we often have unexplicably abrupt landscape-transitions on Vvardenfell.

Regarding the amount of work involved. I think it's not so much work, apart from the statics needing to be distributed and the design needing to be right. What I thought was mainly to have certain statics in a region replaced with a unique variation sharing the same dimensions.

Well, I guess the overall-idea is too vague yet to really sound encouraging.

Now I only say, the option exists.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Worsas wrote:Okay, I can understand that.

Still I think that a remarkable rock-formation or a certain plant would make a nice addition, perhaps rather a nice tidbit than a deciding difference.

I'd like to see this tidbit
http://www.imperial-library.info/gallery/mw_TAoM_p10.jpg
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

I'd like to see this tidbit
This in fact looks like a demanding task. An interesting challenge, however.

But, what is it?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Good question. :P

If you ask me, I'd say that while obviously a classic piece of Morrowind concept art and thus 'right' in many senses, it is sufficiently unlike anything in the actual game that was released as to make it look out of place if we did anything based literally on that (just as if we did a Telvanni wizard floating in a man-sized banana bug-shell - yes it's in the concept art, yes it's an interesting idea, but we also have to maintain verismilitude with the media which we are utilising). In any case, the concept is for 'the Ashlands' and those are on Vvardenfell. Although there will be a small ashland region in western Morrowind, it shouldn't attempt to outdo the vanilla ashland, which is the 'official' Vvardenfell one.

That's all my opinion.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I agree with BC - If we put this into the ashlands on the mainland then it'd put Vvardenfell's to shame and Vvardenfell ashland should be the ashland in Morrowind. I envisioned it as a hive of some type - possibly used as a camp of sorts (ashlander maybe) or a stop off point for travelling merchants or just travellers in general.

I'd still like to see it in game but it's probably not TR suitable, maybe better suited to a separate mod and putting it on Vvardenfell. I'd like to hear what other think though.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

deshaan gets a unique region is that good news?

and uhh "we also have to maintain verismilitude with the media which we are utilising" uhh if you're gonna be a total jackass you should use "medium" so you dont look stupid
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

no jackassery intended. anyway yeah, hands up I used a douchey big word. i take it back.

but am i not allowed to say 'media' as in the multiple mediums involved in modding?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Worsas wrote:
Nalin wrote: I'd like to see this tidbit
This in fact looks like a demanding task. An interesting challenge, however.

But, what is it?
Im probably WAY off here, but the first thing I thought of when I saw that was a... Sky Render Hive? :? That or something Dres-like

Yeah.. Idk. Interesting eitherway.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

It's a proto-daedric ruin
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

Maybe just "uncontroled" Telvanni building. Someone maybe accidentally dropped a seed and it just grew.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I think it would look rather out of place in the Morrowind that we see in the game.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Arthas wrote:Maybe just "uncontroled" Telvanni building. Someone maybe accidentally dropped a seed and it just grew.
You had to feed those "buildings" with 2 soul gems with a strong soul within it.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

This part of the discussion could stop now. [img]http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif[/img]
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

deshaan gets a unique region is that good news?
Then. Will the areas around the deshaan plains (Shipal Shin, Alt Dwerelyn, the argon jungle etc.) also have new features?
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Argon jungle will definitely need new models and textures, being the border regions of Argonia.

The other ones I don't think are well defined enough for us to know much about them, but I'm sure they will be somewhat unique.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

there are actually a fair number of AJ models in TR already, though I can't vouch for their quality.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Zackg

Post by Zackg »

Its a long way off, and I understand TR doesnt work with other projects as it cant control their quality, but as far as Argon Jungle Id be more than willing to make a few models for TR's use. Im not about to make a showcase though lol..
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

you know, if you were to make those models and post them in a thread in the showcase you'd both have made a showcase and contributed them to TR. Just a thought.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
David House
Developer

Post by David House »

Zackg wrote:Its a long way off, and I understand TR doesnt work with other projects as it cant control their quality, but as far as Argon Jungle Id be more than willing to make a few models for TR's use. Im not about to make a showcase though lol..
Why not? I'd like to see some models, Im still learning (allot) with modeling, so I need learning work.