Attention: Tamriel Rebuilt Website Donations

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Attention: Tamriel Rebuilt Website Donations

Post by Haplo »

Moderator Note: Please do not unsticky this post.

Running the Tamriel Rebuilt website costs money. Unfortunately, we don't have a money tree dedicated to the running and hosting of TR. We would never expect you to pay a membership fee or anything similar; modding is a hobby, and should remain free to anyone and everyone. We also don't want to use advertisements, as those are unsightly, and don't really work unless people click on them daily. These days, most internet users use Flashblock or AdBlockPlus to block advertisements anyway.

We are left with a dilemma. We don't want to leave our reliable data center and tech support (Garfield) for a cheaper but less reliable alternative. So we have weighed our options, and determined that the most affordable and overall best method for remaining alive would be to open up donations for the project. This is, of course, voluntary. There is now a yellow "Donate" button (via PayPal) that accepts PayPal transfers and major credit cards--along with a few other methods--at the bottom of the forum. Keep in mind that any money transferred will be in dollar amounts ultimately, since the server is in California. This shouldn't be a problem for most people; the dollar is probably weaker than their currency anyway.

We invite anyone who would like to donate to this cause to please do so; we don't know how long we will have to keep this open, but hopefully it won't become a permanent fixture. It is important for me to note that any donations made will be anonymous; donors won't get any special rank or privilege, just the good feeling of having donated.

In the event we get more donations than are necessary, we will do what we did several years ago concerning cash: Due to large ethical and legal dilemmas with cash winnings for a prize that TR won, we donated the entirety of the winnings to Garfield who had been and has to this day offered his hosting and tech support services to us at no cost. This time around, we will donate any surplus amount to Zephyr, who designed, coded, implemented, modified, and expanded this website (including the accurate maps function and the claims browser; two HUGE boons to TR), and remained as its active web developer and project administrator for several years, also at no cost. This was all while he was a struggling university student. He has no idea of this plan and should any surplus amount be reached, we're sure he will appreciate such a gift, so long after the fact.

This entire situation came essentially out of the blue, so please bear with us as we try to cope as best and cheaply as we possibly can. I will be updating the bottom of this post with how much has been donated each day alongside our current payment scheme.

(Please note: the only reason it shows my e-mail address is due to the fact that I am facilitating the payments, as I have done in times past)

Thanks for reading!

Cost Per 18 Months: $100
Total Amount Donated: $1050
# of 18-Month Periods Paid-for: 4 (3/13/10 - 9/13/11), (9/13/11 - 3/13/13), (3/13/13 - 9/13/14), (9/13/14 - 3/13/16), (3/13/16 - 9/13/17)
Long-Term Goal (9 years, or six 18-month periods): $600
Amount Donated to Zephyr: $450
Last edited by Haplo on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Brilliant, Zephyrs contributions has been awesome.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You guys are incredible! It's been three hours and you've already donated enough to keep us up for three years! Super kudos to you who have donated already :-D

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Nemon wrote:Brilliant, Zephyrs contributions has been awesome.
he should have gotten payed long ago. the claims browser is an absolutely revolutionary piece of technology, and has changed TR for the better.hell, he should license it and make royalties :P likewise, i dont know where we would be without his constant support and upgrading of the forum.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
zhukant

Post by zhukant »

Heh I like that name =Þ
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

What's the number to now, Mr. Admin? :)
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Some people are using e-checks and other methods of donating, which take a while to "approve", so I am waiting for those to finish, possible transfer fees and all, before I update the number. But it's a decent amount higher.

ko2fan
Website Administrator

Post by ko2fan »

A little incentive for anyone who hasn't decided yet..

If you guys can hit $1000 I will dedicate 4 weekends to updating the forums to phpbb3 and working on the claims browser.

Get donating! :D

--
garfield
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Amount updated. Since the initial flurry, only about $30 has been donated, which is why there weren't noticeable updates day-by-day... I was waiting for a bit of a lump sum to add to the total instead of updating it in one-dollar or two-dollar increments.

s17speedex

keep it up

Post by s17speedex »

You guys are doing a great job- all can do is FCOM so I will donate instead- steve
Thank You Oblivom engine.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I haven't said anything yet, so it is about time I did.

Thank you to all who have donated and those who donate in the future. I wasn't so much a fan of the donation button, but what needs to be done needs to be done.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

We have reached $400, enough for 6 years! Two-thirds of the way to our long-term goal already after only a few months! (Yet only two-fifths of the way toward capitalizing on garfield's incentive)

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Amount updated. We are steadily moving toward meeting our long-term goal.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Big news! We've hit our long-term hosting goal of $600. Any money over that amount (read: any donations made from here on out) will go toward a monetary gift for Zephyr for all his hard work on the claims browser and website that have allowed us to remain one of the most effective and organized mods in the entire modding community for nearly a decade.

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

We've remained relevant!

Huzzah!
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Haplo wrote:Big news! We've hit our long-term hosting goal of $600. Any money over that amount (read: any donations made from here on out) will go toward a monetary gift for Zephyr for all his hard work on the claims browser and website that have allowed us to remain one of the most effective and organized mods in the entire modding community for nearly a decade.
Have you reached $1000 worth of donations? Is Garfield still holding true to his word about dedicating 4 weekends to updating the forums to phpbb3 and working on the claims browser if you reach $1000?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Tes96 wrote:
Haplo wrote:Big news! We've hit our long-term hosting goal of $600. Any money over that amount (read: any donations made from here on out) will go toward a monetary gift for Zephyr for all his hard work on the claims browser and website that have allowed us to remain one of the most effective and organized mods in the entire modding community for nearly a decade.
Have you reached $1000 worth of donations? Is Garfield still holding true to his word about dedicating 4 weekends to updating the forums to phpbb3 and working on the claims browser if you reach $1000?
No, we've only hit $600, as I mentioned in that post last month. Although if you look at the rate of donations, I think you'd realize it's a bit crazy to think we could go from 0 to $600 in one year, and then from $600 to $1000 in one month...

As for Garfield's offer, I have no clue whether he would still honor that or not. At lot of things can change in a year. However, we will hold true to the statement that any money donated after the $600 amount will be given to Zephyr for his immense contribution to the project.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Seems like that might be a good thing to check up on. Zephyr is cool and all, but I think it would garner more donations if it would benefit the project in some way.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
ko2fan
Website Administrator

Post by ko2fan »

I will most definitely honour my commitment.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Just a note of interest: we've now paid a second installment for hosting, we should now be good through March 13, 2013 :-)

Chin Music
Developer

Post by Chin Music »

Maybe even Sacred East will be out by then.

Maybe.

:p
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Sacred East will most definitely be out by then.
Also, amount updated.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Apparently it's Donate to TR Weekend. We just broke $1000 in total donations! I'll be contacting Zephyr to set up the gift exchange in the next few days. I'll also contact Garfield to see about the possibility of upgrading from phppBB2 to phpBB3 forums.

Hip hip hurrah, and a big thank you to all donors. This is really a monumental achievement for so small a neck of the proverbial woods. It just cements my and everyone else's belief that the ES (and specifically, Morrowind) community is the best out there.

TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

WOWZERS...

I looked at the current donation amount yesterday and Haplo had edited it up to 800 and now its up to 1050 O_o! AWESOMMMMEE!

Can't wait to see what phpBB3 looks like :)!!
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Oh, this is going to be cool! Huzzah for TR website updates!!!
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Prophetional

Post by Prophetional »

Okay, where IS your Donate button? Am I missing it? Did you take it away? :(

*feels like a dummy*

*continues searching*
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

We took down the donation button because we already hit our basic target, awesome target and also our super-target. There's not really anything we can spend the money on besides gifts for our webmaster and the people who designed our site tools like the claims browser.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
drfroth

Post by drfroth »

That is the most responsible thing I have seen in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time.

Would you guys like to run for office? We have a entire political system here in America that could learn quite a bit from your last post.

Congrats for being stand up, sensible folks.
Just when you think it's all ducks and checkers, the salamander begins to frolic in the eggnogg.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

drfroth wrote:That is the most responsible thing I have seen in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time.

Would you guys like to run for office? We have a entire political system here in America that could learn quite a bit from your last post.

Congrats for being stand up, sensible folks.

Really. Big kudos guys!
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned