[FCG] Mushroom forest & ash swamp

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

How far along is the ash swamp anyway? I'm a bit worried, people seem to want dead stuff for that swamp a lot, but that doesn't make much sense imo. Unless the ash swamp has formed within the last few years (which is pretty implausible) all dead original vegetation will have disintegrated gloriously by now. I'd say we need specific living organisms designed to withstand the hardships of the ashlands and swamps combined.

Amd just out of curiosity, which great house territories are the Othreleth Woods and the ash swamp in?
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Why wrote:How far along is the ash swamp anyway? I'm a bit worried, people seem to want dead stuff for that swamp a lot, but that doesn't make much sense imo. Unless the ash swamp has formed within the last few years (which is pretty implausible) all dead original vegetation will have disintegrated gloriously by now. I'd say we need specific living organisms designed to withstand the hardships of the ashlands and swamps combined.
The models for the ash swamp remain free for claiming so as far as the claims system go the models side of things is still at 0%
[url]http://www.rvnant.tumblr.com/[/url]
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

The Othreleth woods are found in Map 6 in Hlaalu territory, the ash swamp is in Redoran territory in Map 5, just south of Reich Parkeep.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

I couldn't think of anymore shrubbery ideas, so after seeing some Hlaalu architecture both on UESP's website and in game, I decided to do a really quick sketch of a settlement (from an angle) that would reside in the forest. I was really just playing around with the idea of a small walled community, but decided to show the results to you guys.

I used a couple of settlements (I was mainly inspired by Balmora) as a sort of "template." So there's plenty of rectangular-ish buildings with soft-rounded windows.

It's of a very small, boxed-in settlement. Perhaps it could be at the outer fringes of the mushroom forest. Or as a sort of "checkpoint" area for adventurers.

[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5056/settlementinmushroomfor.png[/img]

A. A very tall, one building housing apartment.
B. A tavern/inn. Perhaps it could be a general store as well?
C. A greenhouse used to cultivate various fungi as well as harvesting Whickwheat.
D. The walls of the settlement, with an open gate monitored by two Hlaalu guards.
E. Since I couldn't think of what to put in the middle, I just put a mushroom tree in a sort of blocked-off mini-garden.
F. A run-of-the-mill Tribunal temple - for all your worship needs!
G. A garrison for the local law enforcers.
H. Miscellaneous building. Maybe local mayor's residence?
There are three kinds of people in this world: Those who can count and those who can't.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

I'm not going to argue whether this belongs here or not. Instead, I'll only ask you one thing. Why would anyone waste a greenhouse on growing fungi when there is a whole forest of them growing beyond the walls?
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

I was thinking it could be used for other plants as well, such as whickwheat.

I figured greenhouses were the best way to grow food, as opposed to just going and picking wild shrooms. But you're right, fungi still wouldn't make much sense. And I was really wanting to fill that corner of the town with something, so I chose a greenhouse.

It could always be used to grow other plants/food though.

EDIT: Also, my apologies if I should have started a new thread for the settlement.
There are three kinds of people in this world: Those who can count and those who can't.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

We won't be adding any new architecture, so we don't need any concept art of settlements. If you've seen any of TR's exteriors, you know our modders are quite capable of creating their own awesome visions without aid from others.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Aye, let's stick to vegetation here. If you feel like drawing towns you may post them in a thread of your own work. We don't really need town concepts though.
Myzel's Art gallery: [url]http://themyzel.deviantart.com/[/url]
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Okay. I'll try and storm up some more ideas for "shorter" vegitation, since the trees seem pretty much good to go.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

[url=http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2600/mushroomplants.jpg][img]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2600/mushroomplants.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Some new concepts for smaller plants. Top concept based on Wingate's drawing.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

Hmm, I like both a and b on 1. they are nice variations. I also like 4. and 5. I think they are interesting enough. glad we got some new concepts in the least.

My favorite is probably the last one. number 2 looks too much like a silt strider carapace to me.
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Awesome, someone liked one of my flora! I'd draw up some more plants (if you guys need more in that department), but I need to wait to get my laptop back - been broken for a while, and TES Construction set and my scanner won't work on my home pc :( .

Do you guys still need help with the "smaller parts" of the mushroom forest?

PS:
btw, i like your version better than mine, especially with those "patterns" that go around the growths of the plant.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

Yes this FCG is still open for the small flora needed in the Mushroom forest. I think most of us have run out of ideas but feel free to drop some more in.
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

Samir Al'Muhaada wrote:Yes this FCG is still open for the small flora needed in the Mushroom forest. I think most of us have run out of ideas but feel free to drop some more in.
I hope you guys aren't finished already with the mushroom forest...I will be finishing up a couple ideas around this weekend :D
Last edited by Kieren on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Good thing you guys let us know. I was about to round this up, because there hadn't been much activity lately (besides me) and I didn't expect any new concepts to be posted. But now that I know you have more coming I'll let this be for now. More concepts are still very welcome as long as they're compatible with the concepts that already have consensus approval in this thread.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

Just in case you didn't know what Myzel meant by compatible with the consensus that basically means some flora that work well with this beautiful piece of compiled concept art.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/876/trshroomforest.jpg
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

That's a pretty good piece of art there. My concepts for small flora may go well with it (i hope), though they are a little more "gloomy."

BTW, my laptop should be finished and I could be getting it back sometime around the weekend. I'll try and get the scanner to work with my home pc in the meantime.
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

Samir Al'Muhaada wrote:Just in case you didn't know what Myzel meant by compatible with the consensus that basically means some flora that work well with this beautiful piece of compiled concept art.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/876/trshroomforest.jpg
...Hope this is compatible. I couldn't get the scanner to go any darker unfortunately so much of the detail got washed away in the white. I'll re-post an inked version later this week on my concept thread.

[url=http://img138.imageshack.us/i/simielparasoloriginal.png/][img]http://a.imageshack.us/img138/9251/simielparasoloriginal.th.png[/img][/url]

The concept here was to have a mushroom act very similar to the Venus Fly-Trap (luring and then capturing/digesting its prey) - in this case the stem of the fungus acts as a "throat" directing the nutrients from the prey down toward the 'roots'.
The cap would act very similar to that of the N. American "Slippery Jack" mushroom - though instead of secreting a slime, would secrete a harvest-able mucilage (sticky, sap-like substance).

I do like my reagents, and find that having to risk something 'biting back' adds a bit more flavor to the game :D

Hope you guys like, cheers!

PS: the name I used "Simiel" comes from early Christian/Hebrew mythology (Simiel being somewhat of an evil Archon - Archangel - seducing and destroying his foes)...just something that interested me.
Praedator
Reviewer

Post by Praedator »

man do I love the detailing of this drawing :D

Very nice shroom concept, and well depicted!
I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this, but this needs *less* rocks - Cathartis
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

You're certainly a very skilled artist Kieren, so I'm even more sorry to say that this concept is not what we're looking for in this case.

I know it's probably tiresome to read through this long thread, but it may be worthwhile. Along the way we've decided to deliberately avoid anything toadstool-like, mostly because that is exactly the type of mushroom overly present in vanilla morrowind.

As a second sidenote, I also think animation makes things needlessly complicated for something that is intended to function as a static.

I appreciate your effort though, so please keep contributing. Try to pay close attention to the mission statement and to ideas and consensus in these threads.
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

Myzel wrote:You're certainly a very skilled artist Kieren, so I'm even more sorry to say that this concept is not what we're looking for in this case.

I know it's probably tiresome to read through this long thread, but it may be worthwhile. Along the way we've decided to deliberately avoid anything toadstool-like, mostly because that is exactly the type of mushroom overly present in vanilla morrowind.

As a second sidenote, I also think animation makes things needlessly complicated for something that is intended to function as a static.

I appreciate your effort though, so please keep contributing. Try to pay close attention to the mission statement and to ideas and consensus in these threads.
Appreciate the compliments guys :D

I'm currently finishing up another Fungus idea I had so I figure I'll give it one more shot at the Mushroom Forest project.

Regarding the animation, I figure it wouldn't really have any as a static (either remain open entirely, or completely in the 'enclosed' position - would be interesting to loot skeletal parts from the closed parasol).

In any event, guess I'll be lurking about in the forums :D
Cheers!
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Okay, my laptop is going to be in repair for atleast ANOTHER week (don't ask; stupid error on the company's side), and sadly I've misplaced most of my concepts I've done. But, guess what? I got my scanner to work on this comp! WOOT!!!!

Anyway, the following png file is the only thing I could find. I'll have to redraw the rest from memory.

On the right is the more relevant thing that's needed (a small fungus plant, that is). I call it a "Leaning Lamp." It'd a type of glowing fungi whose top is so heavy and full of it's own moisture, that it sags down. It's kind of inspired by something I remember from chrono cross (a squaresoft/enix rpg for the psone).

On the leff is something I originally bs'd with the other old works. I decided to throw it in as a sort of "extra idea" thing, even though you guys asked mainly for small flora. It's basically what I believe vegetation would look like if it were growing to close to the fungus forest. It's called "Tree Bloat," where spore lifted through the air land on trees and begin to grow disgusting fat-like fungus over the tree, bush, plant, etc. Again, just a loose idea if there's any room for 'em.

Also, sorry if the colors are to... colorful. I could recolor it if need be for a more gloomy effect.
Attachments
tree and plant.png
(583.65 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

I like the idea of parasitic fungus on dying trees. Gives a biome a more seasonal, shifting feel

[url=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Lutemoth/Culture/ashswamp.jpg][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Lutemoth/Culture/thumb/ashswamp.jpg_thumb.jpg[/img][/url]
ash-swamp. Gotta wade through this stuff. A thriving marsh, blanketed by a near-mucous web of ash, caked and sludged from absorbing such moisture. Imagine the greyest textures possible for this one. and lots of insects, too.
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

[url=http://img202.imageshack.us/i/fungi.png/][img]http://a.imageshack.us/img202/1906/fungi.png[/img][/url]

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/url]

I re-sketched some of what I remembered with some colored pencils.

1 = Redesign of one of my first flora ideas

2 = "White-Wobble": Sadly, morrowind doesn't have the same physics engine as Oblivion (oh well, still Morrowind's better >:P atleast), but if it did, the "White-Wobble"'s two stalks would sway in the breeze a bit to and fro.

3 = "Giant's Beret": Fungus that grows on, and - in attempt to gather as much sunlight + moisture as possible - nearly covers all of large rocks.

4 = "Tanglemould": Probably an "extra idea thing" but the few regular plants that survive in the forest would probably be covered in small mushrooms, and be withered and distorted in so many ways - as is the case of the Tanglemould.

Again, these can always be colored if unsatisfactory.

Also, my bad for uploading the first as a downloadable attachment. I was under the impression that a png attachment would be viewed as an image on the forum post, all while creating a new image shack account. Me = noob >:\
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Lute wrote:Imagine the greyest textures possible for this one. and lots of insects, too.
An new creature to live here would be very nice.
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Which reminds me - I had a neat sketch of a "moldy crab" (fungus crab was an alternate name, but i felt the word was being used too much to describe things already), maybe there could be "ash crabs?"

Better yet, there could be reanimated remains of those who could not survive in the ash swamps (ash zombie's already taken, though).

Do Ash Striders exist? And how exactly big is this ash swamp?
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I don't believe the areas will be very large. Better to ask one of the exterior guys though. New creatures are always nice, but one to appear only in either of these areas seems a bit of a waste to me. We've done that a few times recently but shouldn't make too much of a habit of it.
Zombies or anything undead for the ash swamp is also a definite no.

Wingate: I like some of those mushroom ideas. The idea of mushrooms growing on other plants/trees is fine for the forest, but plants withering doesn't seem right there. I also like the idea of mushrooms growing on rock, but their appearance not so much. I also like your tree, but rather I see it working as a smaller plant.

Lutemoth: I like your view on the swamp. Somewhat similar to what I had in mind.
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

Myzel wrote:I like some of those mushroom ideas. The idea of mushrooms growing on other plants/trees is fine for the forest, but plants withering doesn't seem right there. I also like the idea of mushrooms growing on rock, but their appearance not so much. I also like your tree, but rather I see it working as a smaller plant.
Good news to hear this Myzel...I'm about finished with a parasitic fungus tree idea as well. I think you guys will like it - guess Wingate & I were of similar mind on this, though my spore rather mutates a normal tree (its host) into a suitable 'cluster colony' of fungus.

Lutemoth, love the idea on the Ash Swamp - looking forward to sharing ideas/sketches with you as soon as I finish my shroom artwork :D
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Thanks for the input, Myzel. I can rework those easily.

Questions:
Is it the shape or the color that you disagree with on the rock? Or size? Or all/a mixture?

And when you talk of the tree, do you mean the "Tanglemould," or the "Tree Bloat?" If it's the Tanglemould, I could make a more 'horizontal' version that'd somewhat resemble the vine plants that frequent the town of Ald'ruhn (can't remember the name of the plant atm, but it had thorns on it).

Also, if I'll know for sure the ash swamp will be very big (as well as the fungus forest - I hope) then I'll craft up some creatures, but no worry, I'll be sure to avoid undead (I just thought of ash swamp and immediately thought of death or something that wouldn't be able to sustain life). I had a few ideas for life in the fungus forest, too.
And is the ash swamp going to be mostly "flattened" or will there be things such as trees, hills, rocks, etc?
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

Wingate wrote: Questions:
Is it the shape or the color that you disagree with on the rock? Or size? Or all/a mixture?
Shape and color I guess.
And when you talk of the tree, do you mean the "Tanglemould," or the "Tree Bloat?" If it's the Tanglemould, I could make a more 'horizontal' version that'd somewhat resemble the vine plants that frequent the town of Ald'ruhn (can't remember the name of the plant atm, but it had thorns on it).
I don't like the 'tanglemold' much. I was talking about that yellow thing in the previous image.
Also, if I'll know for sure the ash swamp will be very big (as well as the fungus forest - I hope) then I'll craft up some creatures...
And is the ash swamp going to be mostly "flattened" or will there be things such as trees, hills, rocks, etc?
I should probably repeat myself here.
I wrote:I don't believe the areas will be very large. Better to ask one of the exterior guys though. New creatures are always nice, but one to appear only in either of these areas seems a bit of a waste to me. We've done that a few times recently but shouldn't make too much of a habit of it.
So, if Nalin and Worsas choose to make more creatures I'd rather have them be something we can use in larger areas.

Of course there's going to be hills, rocks and trees in the ash swamp. We can't just make a flat, empty area. :?
(I just thought of ash swamp and immediately thought of death or something that wouldn't be able to sustain life).
Which is exactly why we should avoid that.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

[url=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Lutemoth/munsters/Morrowind/fungibugeye.jpg][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Lutemoth/munsters/Morrowind/thumb/fungibugeye.jpg_thumb.jpg[/img][/url]

reminded of an old fungal insect from a way-while back.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I like that for the woods.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

That would indeed be an interesting creature to come across in the Mushroom Forest, Lutemoth.
Myzel
Developer Emeritus

Post by Myzel »

I remember that one as well. I'm sure I actually linked to it in one of these threads. :)
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

At first I thought that was another plant concept, lutemoth. Then I saw the short legs and "head" and was like "Holy crap, towering mushroom monster!" It's awesome.

Which reminded me, I drew a "funguscrab" (sorta like a mudcrab) a while ago with the treebloat and lantern plant, but lost it. If the fungus on that creature was made a bit shorter, with lower head and mandibles it could definitely be a crustacean.

Then again, crabs live around shores and other places of water, and I don't think there's sources of water in Othreleth.

Still that insect creature alone is epic. How big would it scale? Size of a man/mer? Half?
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

the body like that of a mudcrab, maybe a third of guar-meat. Definitely, the height of the thing would be dwarfed by its growth, and would be incredibly passive, seeing as it's no rolling stone, for sure.
PoisonUnagi

Post by PoisonUnagi »

Wingate wrote:snip
So, if there's no houses, does everyone live in the apartment thingy? I think a small residential area behind building F would fit pretty well.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

No, no more houses in this thread.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Any buildings in the Othreleth Woods region are Hlaalu, and we don't need more designs of those.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Wingate

Post by Wingate »

Just dropping in to check on the thread - I've been distracted by shiny things for a while.

I suppose there's to be no buildings or settlements of any kind in Othreleth woods?
I also read somewhere in the earlier posts of this thread that someone had ideas for some under-root twisting caverns. I had a small area of a root-cavern drawn out just for fun. If need be, I could post it, even though it has nothing to do with small flora.

Oh, and yes PoisonUnagi, in the settlement I made earlier, everyone just about lives in the apartments. I made it to be an extremely small settlement.