Euron"s Thoughts on Morrowind

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Euron
Developer

Euron"s Thoughts on Morrowind

Post by Euron »

Hopefully I'll be posting here regularily with ideas. Here's one to start, it's a Dres armor I've been working on. My original intent was for it to be a slave hunter armor specific to the black marsh. The under armor is a leather body suit made from Argonian skin, so as to offer protection from the dangers of the swamp. What better way than to use the skin of the locals? The plates are molded hist resin (read The Seed). So the under armor would be a sort of black/green, and the plates an amber color. There's a couple of alternate ideas for boots, and one for a helm as well. I'm working on a few more sketches of different parts of the armor in close up, as well as some different related armors and ideas. Will update.

[url=http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/EuronCrowseye/?action=view&current=dresarmor.jpg][img]http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/EuronCrowseye/th_dresarmor.jpg[/img][/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

totally off topic but i'm totally digging the username :D
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Euron
Developer

Post by Euron »

Ha! Since this happens to be my thread, you're quite welcome to go OT for a compliment as often as you like, so thanks!
Nalin
Developer

Re: Euron"s Thoughts on Morrowind

Post by Nalin »

Euron wrote:The under armor is a leather body suit made from Argonian skin, so as to offer protection from the dangers of the swamp.
That is a very cool idea, I had the same sort of thing in mind for the "white bits" of my slave hunter armour.
[url=http://img470.imageshack.us/i/dreswarriorfh9.jpg/][img]http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/1745/dreswarriorfh9.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://img186.imageshack.us/i/dresblack2if0.jpg/][img]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2047/dresblack2if0.th.jpg[/img][/url]
I was thinking that the white bits could be molded from the crushed exoskeleton of a blackmarsh beasty mixed with resin. I even went as far as to elaborate with a concept (or a few concepts) of the beasty that I'll post as soon as I've coloured. Figuring the carapace is embued with protective qualities. The Lizard skin idea is way cooler though - maybe both could be used eventually?
Euron wrote:The plates are molded hist resin
I don't like the idea of Dunmer wearing Hist, doesn't seem right.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you come up with Euron.
[url]http://www.rvnant.tumblr.com/[/url]
AngryNord
Developer

Post by AngryNord »

Nice job Euron, love the design!

When I'm drawing armors and clothes and such I like to focus a lot on practical design. i.e. Will a cape get stuck on plants and branches, is this armor corrosion resistant etc.

I like the argonian leather underneath, coz' if I were an argonian on the run from a Dres, and I saw my BFF's hide made into boots then that would be demoralizing. And I'd probably stop running, unwilling to get skinned as well.

For me, the hist resin doesn't really fit. Hist resin is the argonians wonder material, as is bonemold and chitin for Morrowind, but maybe you could use shalk or normal resin coated wood or crushed exoskeleton as Nalin suggested.

Also when designing armor, focus on the purpose of it. I like to think "Now if I were a slave hunter, what would I value in an armor?" Running through the Argon Jungle and Black Marsh chasing natives would require oodles of flexibility and lightness, and a simple design with no bits that would catch on prickly plants and hungry carniverous ferns.

Your design is very good, but there is a couple of things I'd like to point out.
* The long cloth hanging from the waist would probably catch on plants and logs.
* The plates on the biceps seem a bit too rigid for my liking.

And thats it :D , apart from that. Very nice!
Euron
Developer

Post by Euron »

Thanks guys!

I hear what you're saying about the funcionality issue. Initally I'd set out to come up with a slave hunter armor, but it kinda got away from me. My intention is to take elements of this and reconcept two seperate armors for different purposes. The slave hunter one most likely will lose the hanging cloth among other things.

Regarding the hist resin, my logic in a dunmer using it was this: my feeling is that the slave hunters would spend a hell of a lot of time in the areas where they work. They'd alomst be like rangers, and it would make sense for them to use local materials, especially ones that would offer protection specific to the elements of that region. I'd imagine them almost like the british colonials using native american wisdom and tools to survive, although considering how xenophobic the Dres a reputed to be I imagine there'd be a lot less intigration. As well, there's a passage in The Seed, and I'm paraphrasing here, but the Argonian woman storyteller talks about the invaders discovering how useful the resin is and destroying all the hist trees in the process of collecting it. I'd think that if anyone was gonna capitalize on that it would be the slave hunter groups.

anyway, that's just my opinion, but really any maaterial could be useful.

And Nalin, yeah, I definitely had your armor in mind while working on this. I've got a bunch of other stuff half finished, but I'm hoping some kind of hybrid of the two might work.

edit: oh, and those aren't really plates on the biceps. there's thin hard bands with the triangle/diamond design just above the elbow, and paulds on the shoulder cap. that's Argonian leather on the bicep, very flexible :)
AngryNord
Developer

Post by AngryNord »

In the book 'The Seed' it sais that the Dwemer used hist resin for an armor material and trade. The Dwemer vanished a long time ago and their discovery of using hist resin probably went with them and stayed with the lizards. From all of the books in Morrowind and Oblivion that I've read, and all of the browsing of UESPWiki, I haven't found any records of the Dunmer using hist resin, let alone the Dres. I was also led to believe that export of hist products from Black Marsh was illegal.

Hist resin may be cool, but it's a thing that's probably best to stay with the Argonians. But do not let that make you change your designs, plant resin is just as versatile as hist is, just a little less tough. Of course you could try and incorperate other things into armor materials, like mixing organics with metals (obviously not melted together or anything, that wouldn't work), like netch leather and chainmail, or bonemold with iron trim, or even clay. Who knows? The only boundary is your imagination...

And lore.
AngryNord
Developer

Post by AngryNord »

In the book 'The Seed' it sais that the Dwemer used hist resin for an armor material and trade. The Dwemer vanished a long time ago and their discovery of using hist resin probably went with them and stayed with the lizards. From all of the books in Morrowind and Oblivion that I've read, and all of the browsing of UESPWiki, I haven't found any records of the Dunmer using hist resin, let alone the Dres. I was also led to believe that export of hist products from Black Marsh was illegal.

Hist resin may be cool, but it's a thing that's probably best to stay with the Argonians. But do not let that make you change your designs, plant resin is just as versatile as hist is, just a little less tough. Of course you could try and incorperate other things into armor materials, like mixing organics with metals (obviously not melted together or anything, that wouldn't work), like netch leather and chainmail, or bonemold with iron trim, or even clay. Who knows? The only boundary is your imagination...

And lore.

EDIT - Holy crap! Don't know how the hell this happened, unintentional double post, soz
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

AngryNord, you are reading too much into this. Yes, there's a minute chance that armor would snag on stuff on the ground, but really that hardly matters. As long as it does not look overly cumbersome, no one cares. Certainly, no one cares whether the armor is corrosion resistant (?). Try to comment on the artwork and the design, instead of being scientific about the fictional characteristics of a fictional piece of equipment.

As to your sketch, Euron, I believe the result is too baroque for the Dunmer. It has rich geometrical ornaments all across the surface, but without those, it would have not have anything distinctive. The sash looks too long, and gives that overly 90s DnD look. Finally, the mask looks a little too much like a hockey mask in my opinion.

Perhaps you should concentrate slightly less on the details (which can be added later, or can be omitted since the Dunmer tend to be rather minimalistic in that), and more on the general look and feel.

Either way, do continue. You got some nice skill there, but I think you still need to grasp the Dunmer aesthetics a little.

On Hist resin: any sort of resin is fine, but it should not be Hist resin. The Hist are sacred to the Argonians and their sap is impossible to come by. Whatever that book says is not important.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

The Seed isn't much of an accurate book as far as lore goes. It's a part of Marobar Sul's "anceint tales of the Dwemer" but he basically took an unrelated story and replaced some of the characters with Dwemer, probably so he could make more money off of it. This is all exsplained by the Publisher's Notes at the end of each installment in his series.

Oh, and cool drawing Euron :)) very sinister-looking. Still Adanorcil has many good points.

Nalin: Is that armor of your's part of TR_data yet? It's one the coolest Morrowind, armor concepts I've ever seen. :D
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
AngryNord
Developer

Post by AngryNord »

I apologise for going a bit too deep into the practicality of your design Euron, as Adanorcil said. It's just a game after all, not a simulator. Sometimes I get a bit too passionate about science. I'm looking forward to seeing some more good drawings though, keep up the good work!
Euron
Developer

Post by Euron »

No need to apologize angrynord, I do the same thing :)

Andorcil, funny you should mention that about the designs being the only thing that stands out and the rest being un-dunmer. You're totally right, and I've already started on a re-design with that in mind. And yeah, hockey mask, I know. I've got three other helms I'm working on to replace it.

As far as the details go...meh, that's just how I draw, it's probably not going to change any time soon, but you're absolutely right, they're trivial, and can be replaced with just about anything. as far as this particular design goes, when rendered in pencil like this it actually looks a lot more severe than it should. In actuality it's intended to be lightly embossed so as to be fairly subtle when seen in colour.

Anyway, this is a preliminary sketch, thank you all for the feedback it's giving me some great direction. Hopefully I'll have something a little more refined in a week or so.

Oh, and regarding the resin, I'm indifferent. I just thought hist seemed interesting but clearly it's an unpopular idea. henceforth, it's just plain old sap resin from a normal tree.
blade117

Post by blade117 »

That is some sick armor, Euron.
Slightly off topic: The Dres slave hunter armor, is that in-game (as in, included with TR?)