Old Ebonheart East Merge (formerly M3A4W)

Development of the Imperial city of Old Ebonheart on the Eastern Mouth of the Thirr River.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Derpahurr.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Yes, I know. :(

Map 2 quests have priority right now. M3A4west has turned out more complicated than it looked when I "claimed" it: the Velothi tower has to be repurposed as a pilgrim-and-ordinator hospital, furniture has to be added to replace the (now removed) statues, and a more logical entrance (one accessible by foot, to begin with) has to be added. I hope to get round to doing this by the end of this week...
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Has there been any progress on this, arvisrend?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

OK guys, sorry for this run-around. The paper I was planning to get out a month ago is still not written and my backlog of work to be done after that is steadily growing. I'm dropping this claim, to be able to keep up with quest reviews and other smaller (but IMHO more urgent) issues.

Unfortunately I've been always putting this claim on the backburner. Nothing serious has been done, just a few cells monstered and some bugs fixed. The elephant in the room is TR_i3-149, that old underground monastery near Old Ebonheart having its entrance unreachable without jump/levitation which we decided(?) to refactor into a Temple-run sanatorium for pilgrims and ordinators who caught diseases on their path of worship. I suggest the old entrance of this thing is turned into a balcony and a new one is made on ground level which is actually accessible. Also, the place needs some more beds and more bookshelves with potions, alchemy ingredients, and whatever else stuff (do we have the even de_p surfaced bookshelves in the Data now? if so, that's a good place to use them). Long ago the int used to have a lot of crappy statues but these were removed, without anything being added to replace them. So yeah, this is half of an int claim that remains to be done there.

Newest version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/832 ... _A4West.7z

--------------------------------------------------------------

And here is a dump of literally everything I've done on this claim in the way of actual NPCing. Sorry!!

All except for Jeskan are Dunmer (duh).

NPCs at i3-149:

ORDINATORS

Irvas Belvayn: Ordinator of Inquisition on a rather prolonged sick leave. Is hiding his discontent with his Order behind a mask of grumpiness. High enough in the hierarchy that noone dares to question why he is still out of duty. The Temple, for fear of him spreading heresy, has sent a "pilgrim" to spy on him. [Most of this is for higher Temple quests. The current suggestion from Why is that his discontent is due to him having to turn in his own relatives to justice for Daedra summoning. In this case, he might be a target for a missionary quest.]

Llevari Uvelar (F): Fledgling Ordinator of War, got cursed by a trap in a necromancer's cave. [Might have a side role in said quest?]

PILGRIMS

Jeskan: Redguard pilgrim, drawn to the Temple by its idea of honor (and also by its anti-Nord attitudes?), himself possibly outcast from Hammerfell (possibly Crown?).

Nevam Renadas: Pilgrim, got wounded on a pilgrimage near Necrom by a necromancer in ordinator armor. Scared of even reporting that. Rewards player if GetDeadCount TR_m2_O_Avelo > 0. EDIT: or are we axing Avelo?

Nemaris Madryon: Pilgrim with no real backstory. Actually a spy from the Temple sent to figure out what is on Irvas Belvayn's mind and whether there is a danger of heresy. [Most of this is for later quests.]

HEALERS

Taris Temeris (F): Healer/alchemist, comes from a family with loose Telvanni bindings (Berkan Temeris, Helnim, alchemist). Barters with Temple members at a good price (low mercantile skill).

Alven Llethros: Healer/spellcaster, himself initially a pilgrim who got healed by the priests at this place after he was assaulted by Argonians at the Shrine of Vigilance in the Argon Jungle (yes, we need such a shrine). If PC is an Argonian and a Temple/TR_Temple member, he is extra friendly and congratulates him to his/her judgement.

DIALOGUE
Note: these are old -- my English got better since then. As with everything, salvage whatever you want and axe the rest.

Greeting 4:

healer: if PC in TR_Temple and diseased/blighted: Welcome to the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCRank. The healing altars are in the other tower -- don't let me keep you. Come back to talk, if you wish.
[probably remove the last sentence on low dispo]

if PC diseased/blighted: This is the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCClass. Feel free to look around, but please visit the healing altar in the other tower first.

Greeting 5:

Taris: if player not in TR_Temple: What brings you to the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCClass?

Taris: if player is in TR_Temple and wounded: You are at the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCRank, and I see you have come here for some rest. Feel free to use any of the beds in the other tower. Or are you here to trade? We have a limited amount of potions for sale to Temple members.

Taris: if player is in TR_Temple and not wounded: You are at the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCRank. Coming to visit someone or looking for some alchemy?

Alven: if player not in TR_Temple: Welcome to the Infirmary of Saint Felms, %PCClass. Would you like to know more about this place?

Alven: if player is in TR_Temple: Welcome, %PCRank, to the Infirmary of Saint Felms. What is it that you seek?

Infirmary of Saint Felms:

Taris: if player is in TR_Temple and enough dispo: Here in these towers, the pilgrims rest to heal their wounds from their journeys, and the ordinators from their injuries of combat. Alven is a more than capable spellcaster, and for what magic cannot do, I brew potions. Care to trade?

Taris: Here in these towers, the pilgrims rest to heal their wounds from their journeys, and the ordinators from their injuries of combat. Alven is a more than capable spellcaster, and for what magic cannot do, I brew potions.

Alven: This is where the Temple tends to its wounded on their holy duties of war or pilgrimage. I myself have been its guest until I decided to repay the benefaction and joined the ranks of its healers.

[Should there be extra Nerevarine/"Imperial spy" responses?]
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I would like to claim this!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I would like to grant it, but I still haven't quite gotten the hand of my moderating powers. How do I edit the name of the topic? I think I should be able to move the thread easy enough.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Fixed it for you there ;)
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

You can edit the topic by editing the first post of the thread :)
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

It would be nice if I knew how to do it myself from now on. :P

EDIT: Thank's Why!

Anyway, back on topic.

Please follow arvisrend's plan when working on this IP. It's a solid plan and having a framework to follow has always been beneficial in my experience.

When was the last time you worked on a NPC Claim? I seem to remember some issues cropping up with your work on Sailen in M3A9. Adanorcil seemed to think you went a little overboard with the unique dialogue then. For instance, he thought that it would have been best to focus on adding modest snippets of flavor dialogue to NPCs, rather than give them full life stories. I agree with him on this.

If you give an NPC unique dialogue, try to limit it to a unique Greeting or two, a personalized Background topic, and a unique entry for the "Location"they are at (normally this is a town, but this area doesn't really have one). These should not be overly long, while still giving us an idea of who the character is. Some service NPCs might also need unique Service topics, and there are also times when personalized Someone in Particular and Specific Place topics are justified, I suppose.

Feel free to individualize most of the npcs in this claim. The monastery place is a pretty unique location, and besides it the claim is pretty empty. Just try to avoid including any entries that require you to click "Continue" more than once in the dialogue window. :wink:

I'm personally excited to see how this claim turns out. :)
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I've grown up, don't worry ;)

I'll detail my plans for this soon, going with most of what arvisrend envisioned.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yeti wrote:It would be nice if I knew how to do it myself from now on. :P
Still trying to find a time where we're both on IRC :-P
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

QUESTION

Should I name the interiors in Seyda Vano? Should I NPC them as well?

///

"progress" report

The Dwemer Ruin is now called "Thumz"
With the extra interior "Thumz, Lower Level"
Removed an ebony staff from "Tumz, Lower Level" (was too easy to get)

Named the Velothi/Temple place to "St. Seryn's Infirmary".
Chose St. Seryn for her association with healing disease.
Moved the entrance to above ground. Did not place a balcony as replacement.
Created the 7 NPCs for the infirmary as described in the claim.
Renamed Alven Llethros to "Alv Llethros".

Added NPC "Lori", a lost Bosmeri scout to the wilderness.

Named the glass mine in the claim to "Ilvi Mine", in accordance with the way mines were named in Vanilla: [Name + Mine].

Populated the two nondescript shacks at Seyda Vano with fishermen NPCs.

Wilderness is populated with creatures.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Sounds like you've made some good progress, IP. :)
immortal_pigs wrote:Should I name the interiors in Seyda Vano? Should I NPC them as well?
Only the ones that appear in the game from the start, which you seem to have already done.
immortal_pigs wrote:The Dwemer Ruin is now called "Thumz"
I'm not fond of the name. Sounds exactly like "Thumbs" when I read it out loud.
immortal_pigs wrote:Named the Velothi/Temple place to "St. Seryn's Infirmary".
Perhaps come up with a name that doesn't have a saint in it? Naming places after saints is kind of overdone, imo.
immortal_pigs wrote:Named the glass mine in the claim to "Ilvi Mine", in accordance with the way mines were named in Vanilla: [Name + Mine].
Is it intentionally named after the Indoril Councilor for the Thirr River Valley?
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

QUESTION

What should I region paint A4 West to? It has both Thirr River Valley landscapes and Ashlands. Also, the Dwemer ruin is rather small, does it warrant getting a named cell?

///

The Dwemer ruin is now called "Bthung". Because of Dutchyness I vocalized Thumz internally as Thoomz, but I see now it looked like "thumbs" :P

Ownership and pathgrids have been set for the glass mine and the shacks and the dwemer ruin and the infirmary.

St. Seryn is underfeatured and I don't really agree that it's overdone in this particular case.

All NPCs in the claim now have dialog. It's mostly just unique greetings where appropriate.

Ilvi Mine is semi-intentional. But there's no real explicit link between the two.

reminder: add condition (Not local) (noLore) == 0 to it

(wip)
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4West.esp
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Nice progress!

Can you put some Temple banners in front of the entrance to the Infirmary so as to signalize to the visitor that here be no undead?

The geometry of the Infirmary is, sadly, broken since the changes. You enter it at ground level and then go up and up only to end up below ground level. The int and ext should be rematched, and I'm not sure which is easier to change.

"pilgrimmage" should have one "m" only (Jeskan's greeting).

It's the floor with Llevari Uvelar where I wanted to place more furniture and stuff (beds? planters? pleeease no more crates) to replace the removed statues. IMHO it feels somewhat barren at the moment. We do have flat de_p furniture in the latest TR_Data, and you shouldn't be afraid to use it.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Was the new interior for the infirmary ever created? If not, please link me to the interior claim and I'll have it put up ASAP.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Ok so I tried a different approach. I moved the entrance to St. Seryn's Infirmary and adapted the interior to make it work. Also put a Temple banner on the outside of the Velothi dome.

I checked the file in TESAME but I'm not really sure if anything has been dirtied at all.

I would like to say the file is finished, but it would be nice to get a few more pointers so as I don't forget anything and upload an unfinished claim.

anyway wip
Attachments
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

OK, this is better. Still, the entrance is caspering now and the door right *after* the entrance is only passable in one direction (you need to replace the in_velothismall_curve_02 by something else there, or make the door into a load door). I'd still like the int to be detailed further (something I can also do myself).

Leveled critters are missing. (And by "levelled" I mean coming from the leveled lists, i. e., things like TR_stc_velk, TR_stat_thirr_d05orp, TR_stat_wild_d05ap and such -- they don't actually level.)

Loot in Bthung is not well-guarded imho. Spiders are fine but what about more of them?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'll take a look at this later today after I'm done with work. To be entirely honest, I'm still not fond of your name for the Dwemer ruin. Would something like Bthunzr be a suitable substitute?
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Alright I've spiced up the wilderness with some more LC's and put a few more Dwemer spiders in Bthung.

I'm afraid I don't really have the skills to fix the Infirmary problems, so if someone else wants to have a go at that this is the most recent file:
Attachments
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I can probably take care of any interior detailing this needs.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

So, who takes this over?

Note that the file dirties cell (14, -17), conflicting with TR_Mainland. Easy to fix with TESAME or tes3cmd (don't forget to also delete the corresponding LAND record).
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'm done with the file. The interior for the Infirmary has been detailed, and I've added TR_m3_NPC scripts to all NPCs that were missing them.

You've done some good solid work here, IP. I would like, however, to see the characters at the Infirmary fleshed out a little more. It's a special location, so I think a little more flavor dialogue is warranted. Feel free to give each NPC a unique background topic.

A generic local area topic would also be nice.

Edit: Didn't see your post at first, arvisrend. Feel free to take this file over for cleaning.
Attachments
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Yeah I wouldn't mind to add some more flava dialog. I'll wait for arvisrend to upload the file. What do you mean by "generic local area" topic? I've already created a topic called "St. Seryn's Infirmary".
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

there is a topic called "local area"
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Good work, both of you, and great to see that door fixed! (I've extended the pathgrid to approach the door.)

Caveat: Please don't save this file in the CS without the attached TR_Data.esm, until Haplo updates his Data. I've added references to two new books to the file, but they are not yet in the "public" TR_Data.

Caveat 2 (to Yeti): TR_misc_stn_platter is a broken mesh and throws errors ingame. Deleted.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4West.7z
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Here's the dialog I want to put in. I'll wait for the new TR Data before making the final touches.

Background Dialog

Irvas Belvayn (Ordinator of Inquisition on prolonged sick leave)
I am an Ordinator of Inquisition, of high standing I might add. I have a storied history of purging heretics, but I'll save you from the details. Wouldn't want to come across as a braggard. I have my reasons for visiting St. Seryn's Infirmary.

Llevari Ulevar (Ordinator of War: cursed by necromancer)
Excuse my babbling, sera. I have been afflicted by foes of The Temple. I am in constant conflict with myself to drive out these cursed thoughts. N'Gasta!

Jeskan (Redguard Pilgrim)
Hammerfell had no place for a man of my political convictions. I've taken to my own path.

Nevam Renadas (Pilgrim suffering from insomnia curse)
I'm just a woeful pilgrim in dire need of sleep.

Nemaris Madryon (Temple spying on Irvas Belvayn)
Background? I am from a high standing family, that's all you need to know. Now let me concentrate on my duties.

Taris Temeris (Healer services: Telvanni background)
Believe it or not my roots lie with the Telvanni. But they are interested only in power. The only form of power I care about is gratitude from the mer I've healed.

Alv Llethros (Head of the infirmary)
Temple politics, child. There's a reason I am responsible for this infirmary, and not the temple of Andothren. But my charges here are important nonetheless. I trust the Tribunal recognize my value.

Local area
Peaceful and safe. Just stay clear from the ashlands and the Dwemer ruin, Bthung. Stick to the road and you'll find yourself on the way to Almalexia, in the east, or Andothren, in the west.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

A few fixes in bold
----------------------------------------------

Irvas Belvayn (Ordinator of Inquisition on prolonged sick leave)
I am an Ordinator of the Inquisition, of high standing I might add. I have a storied history of purging heretics, but I'll spare you the details. I wouldn't want to come across as a braggart. I have my reasons for visiting St. Seryn's Infirmary.

Llevari Ulevar (Ordinator of War: cursed by necromancer)
Excuse my babbling, sera. I have been afflicted by foes of the Temple. I am in constant conflict with myself to drive out these cursed thoughts. N'Gasta!
Test
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I'm unhappy with the N'Gasta thing being taken seriously; while it is apparently used as some kind of necromancer blackspeech, its origin is an Esperanto text copypasted from the web (Morrowind's version of lorem ipsum?) and I think we should invent something better eventually. Still, it's fine as a placeholder. Maybe add a ";dialogue to be improved" comment to the result box so we can easily search for it later (we need a tag like this).

Should the Temple spy really be snobby like this? Wouldn't this blow his pilgrim cover?

The rest of the background I like a lot; thanks for doing this, IP!
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

N'Gasta is actually a Sload necromancer who is featured in TES Adventures: Redguard. The note at the start of the book indicates as much. Why the Ordinator would name N'Gasta is another question (I'm assuming the Ordinator is nowhere near old enough to have actually met with N'Gasta personally, though that would be interesting).

When it comes to curses by a Necromancer, I'd think the King of Worms, who the Sload hold in high regard (worship?), or maybe Clavicus Vile, who N'Gasta and likely other Sload made deals with, would be more appropriate names to call to.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Hm I just took N'Gasta from the N'Gasta Kwakvis! Book. It's meant to be a non-sensical term. But it can be something else afaic.

The reason I made the pilgrim spy obvious is because that seems to be the way Morrowind deals with shady characters. Because people can only read dialog and not see facial expressions or tone, you need to somehow signal that the character is off. If I were to put in generic dialog a player would think he's just a generic NPC and I'm not sure that's the best way to handle the situation?

If someone can think of a way to make him both a bit off/shady while still seeming a standard Pilgrim, that would be great.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

How about: Where I come from is not important. What matters is where I am going and who I meet along the way.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

TDF beat me to replying and frankly his suggestion is better than anything I wanted to say. Just for the general case: I think the more MW-standard way to signify that an NPC is being dishonest is have him respond defensively (why are you questioning me? why are doubting a humble pilgrim?) and/or passively-aggressively (a pilgrimage is a nice way to experience solitude and the grace of the Three and have a break from outsiders asking stupid questions).

The N'Gasta thing does from the Kvakis book, but that's precisely the problem. That book just isn't good lore. Well, just leave that remark for the future in the resultbox; we'll deal with it when we have the material.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a good time touching up this claim. I've implemented the dialog + the fixes. Should be based on the newest version of TR_Data. The "local" area topic has been put in as well for the infirmary.

I recall someone mentioning that they were unhappy with the name "Bthung" for the ruin. Feel free to change it, just keep in mind that the ruin is mentioned by name in the local area topic.

So I believe this should be finished now?
Attachments
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'll run through the dialogue on this now.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

While you have the file, Haplo, it would be neat if you could replace the Dwemer statues outside Bthung with some of Wolli's broken variants. :)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That is a good idea, but I didn't get around to doing it just yet; we are trying to hunt down a rogue exterior cell that TESAME is reporting (the claim should have 34 cells in it, unless I'm going crazy, but TESAME is reporting 35, and I can't find the extra cell in the CS).

Here is the file for arvisrend to look through. It includes two dirty cells already cleaned out (wilderness cells south of the claim) and a handful of very minor fixes to the dialogue in this claim (since there wasn't much to begin with, compared to our usual NPC claims with towns in them).
Attachments
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 178 times

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks for the work, Haplo, and no, there is no rogue exterior cell. The file is clean!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think I can explain that phantom cell - Seyda Vano included some activators in a TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4East cell, 14,-17 if I'm not mistaken, which were supposed to stay and be merged into TR_Mainland. It seems those have been cleaned out. It's not a big deal though, they can be added back in once we get to that stronghold quest, if we want to add them back at all.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It was actually just me reading an interior cell+pathgrid entry as an exterior cell+Landscape entry, which falsely inflated the exterior cell count by one. :-P