Berandas' Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Berandas' Showcase

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hello forum!!!

I'd like to offer my skills to the dev team. I am interested mainly in making interior or exterior cells, but I could possibly be usefull as a 3D model creator or concept artist.

Here are some examples of my work. Several houses I have created for my friends, so every one is a little different, satisfying their various needs and tastes. These mods are few years old so it isn't actual interpretation of my skills. I've just repaired some minor flaws before posting.

Also here are some screenies of my recent work in Blender 3D. I know only basics, I am still beginer but I am going to learn some basics of photoshop or similar software.

http://matescb.skvorsmalt.cz/lidi/jikro/blender/

(texture on the model is bad, because it's not the UV map, it's just the stretched jpg)

Mods:

Angelina's House - small house in Balmora (-3,-2)

Markan's Suran Shelter - abandoned underground house in Suran (6,-7)

Nerevar's Residence - townhouse in Mournhold Brindisi Dorom Plaza

Solstheim House - house near ft. Frostmoth (-22,16) - my recent mod I guess

Suran Townhouse - house in Suran (6,-7)

The Bat Queen Dungeon - large underground dungeon with dozens of vampires. Entrance lays near the river at Odai Plateau (-5,-5) - one of my first and largest mods, this is the typical example how the mod should not look like, but I couldn't help myself and I had to post it. :-)

Well, that's all for now, I am looking forward to your criticism and reactions. :-)
...and pardon my bad english, I am not the native speaker.

Lord Berandas
Attachments
Showcase.rar
(215.62 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Welcome to the project. Were I not incredibly tired, I would download and review your file. Someone will review it soon though, rest assured. (If not, I could always do it tomorrow after a good night's sleep)

Don't worry about not being a native english speaker. You'd be surprised just how many people are in the same boat.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hello Berandas!

Since I'm a bit pressed on time, I only reviewed your "Suran, Townhouse" interior since it uses Dunmer architecture and de_p furniture, which is something we like to see in showcases. Why? Read on to find out.

Review!

de_p
Because of its uneven surfaces, de_p is probably the hardest furniture set to work with. Each object you place on de_p furniture should be rotated to match the surface. Not every surface is uneven, but you should definitely take a closer look at both the drawers and the table near the bed. Most of the items on these either bleed or float, but since I already mentioned them here I won't mention them in the bleeder and floater sections that follow.

in_hlaalu
Likewise, in_hlaalu is tricky. You correctly utilized gridsnap to place all the architecture pieces, but a couple of them don't match. Look at the wooden beams near the bottom entrance, you'll notice one of them is made up of two parts that don't match, leaving a rather disturbing gap in the middle of it. The same goes for the top entrance.

Other issues I had with this file:

It's dirty! For an interior showcase, your file should contain your interior cell and your interior cell alone. No changes to any exterior cells or other interior cells! This might sound unreasonably strict of us, but this is very important if you end up working on real claims in our project - if a dirty file is merged into our larger release file, it might affect a whole lot more than just the interior that was supposed to be included. Clean out any cells and changes to objects that aren't your interior.

Floaters! Every object must rest upon a surface. Lower/rotate all objects so that they don't float in mid-air. Most notably, com_sack_03, furn_de_p_chair_02, light_de_lantern_08_128.

Bleeders. Make sure no object bleeds into another object (except things like sacks and pillows which are supposed to be soft and thus should be bled slightly). For instance, the barrels near the door bleed into the rug and the wall (ideally nothing should be placed half on a rug, since it'll float at the end that doesn't stand on the rug) and flora_fire_fern_02 bleeds into the wall.

Style mixing: here at TR we either make interiors de or com. Thus, no com objects are allowed in a de interior. The silverware should be removed, the plate should be replaced with a de equivalent, and the Imperial tapestries need to be removed or replaced with Dunmeri decoration. Also, the misc_lw_flask shouldn't be used in poor interiors, since limewire has Dwemer motifs on it and thus should be reserved for Dwemer ruins or rich houses. Unless this is an heirloom or something.

Low amount of references: your cell has 75 objects in it. Usually, for houses like this, we aim for at least 100 objects. Add a bookshelf (more rotational practice!), some more flowers/grass in the planters, et cetera.

Cell data. Your sunlight is too bright, there's no fog and ambient lighting is still on its default value. Illegal to sleep here should be checked.

All in all, this is actually a pretty decent first file. Fix these errors and I'll gladly take another look at it!
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Well, here I start my vindication... :-)

"de_p" part
- yes, there are clearly some shortcomings, they shall be modified.

"in_hlaalu" part
- I've found that as the only solution, because I believe there is no such tile for this situation (tile with wall, one side with NO pillar and the opposite side with hole for doors and a pillar)

"It's dirty!" part
- It's dirty indeed! I was aware of that, but since I wasn't absolutely sure about correct usage of cleaning utility I just let it as it was. I am going to read something about cleaning of mods.

"Floaters" part
- these objects will be repaired and It seems that I will have to remove the rug.

"Style mixing" part
- I agree with you, but as I said before, every mod was satisfying someone's needs, so when someone wanted silverware, he got it, when he wanted dwemmer pipes, he got them...
It will be modified.

"Low amount" part
- This mainly relates to other my houses, but because these are houses for players, it needs some free space on shelves and furniture like this, for exhibition of trophies and other looted items... You know what I mean. In this case I just didn't want the house to be overfilled. (sometimes I have real urge to overfill my house with everythnig I can find in the construction set)
I'm sure that this problem could be repaired easily.

Okay then, thank you for your objective criticism.
I like the way you keep watching over every detail, this will keep the mod really perfect and it's also need in mod of this scale.
When I am done with updated version, I will upload it here.
i.a. I am working on some weapon models, so make sure to watch my gallery for another pictures, it should come soon.

I am looking forward for your reactions! :-)

With regards,
Lord Berandas
Last edited by Lord Berandas on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

There are ways to fix the architecture - want me to spoil you, or do you want to find it out yourself? ;)
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Maybe I could use another tile and then manually add the pillar over the 1/4 pillar on the tile, but this would be pretty barbarian solution (and might be considered bleeding?).

So give me some time, I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

EDIT:

I updated the mod, here is the list:

- removed and changed some statics
- added more objects
- repaired floaters and bleeders (few things could be still a little bleedy, but I tried to minimalize it)
- repaired ambient light, fog etc. (I used values of any other house in Suran, because I didn't know which values should I use.)
- deleted exterior of the house
- I finally cleaned the mod! (I hope I did it the right way...)
- and I figured out, how to effectively rotate objects (Dunmer are really bad joiners...)

Well, I also updated the Angelina's House mod, so you can check it out.
Attachments
Clean Angelina's_house_1.2.esp
(87.26 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Clean Suran_Townhouse_1.1.esp
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

So, it seems that no one is interested in my work...huh?
In the meantime I would like to try some modeling, but I didn't find any "to do" list or something like that...
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

oh hey, you uploaded things. It is very important that you post when you update as your thread does not get bumped if you don't. With no bump, we have no way of knowing if you actually uploaded anything.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

It's not that nobody is interested it's simply that people have other responsibilities as well. Someone will get around to reviewing this, if not myself. As far as models goes it is a good idea to look at what models are in the Objects of Tamriel section of the forums. There you will find things that need to be made that have not yet been. Good luck :)

EDIT: Ninja'd!!!
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Hi Lord Berandas,

Sorry this took so long to review. Your name seems really familiar? I'm amused to see your files have been downloaded over 222 times. :P

Ambient lighting is great, Illegal box ticked, North Marker in, no style mixing. Good job on these. What exterior does this house fit?

Well I'm tired so we may as well skip to errors.

In the first room:
-light_de_lamp_01_128 (next to the door) is floating.
-furn_de_rug_big_04 is sinking.
-the 'furn_de_p_chair_02's around the table are either floating or sinking
-While I think tables are a bad representation of anyone's modding skills, practically everything on the 'furn_de_p_table_01' is floating. It can be a bitch, so minimise the items and cut down the clutter if needbe.
-The flowers and grass in the planter are technically clipping, since I can see the leaves move when you change angles.
-furn_de_p_table_05 is bleeding into the wall and floating a bit
-active_de_p_bed_15 is bleeding
-misc_de_goblet_04s on the chest are bleeding
-Pretty much everything on the furn_de_p_bookshelf_01 is placed okay, but you're still having a slight floating with the lines and where they should be dotted they're just straight.

Second floor:
-The wine racks are well done, but the one in the corner is bleeding into the wall, and lots of the bottles have their bottoms cut off (teehee) because they're going too far into the case.
-The mace is balanced really well against it, but com_chest_02 is bleeding
-furn_de_p_chair_02 is sinking
-the light_de_candle_03_64's on the table aren't balanced properly

Well when I say it like that, the list isn't even that big! You just need to fix up the mistakes above and take care when balancing items. Are you always using the 'f' function? It's a really helpful one that helps with smooth surfaces if you didn't already know.

Anyway, if you need any help or clarification, just ask.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hi MSam

I don't mind, I was just trying to "poke" you a little. I'd like to dedicate all my free time to work on the project, until I still have it. :-)
uh, it seems that I became quite popular, since I bumped. How is this possible, that everyone goes to the forum so tired? Are all of TR moders so exhausted after releasing two parts of their magnificent work? :-D

- it was house at Suran, but I deleted the exterior, since this is the interior showcase.

- I will try to fix these mistakes, tell me, how is it possible, that all of you have so good eyes on these little tiny mistakes...

- I use the F function all the time, but sometimes it still needs to arrange it properly after "droping" the object, and on these uneven surfaces it isn't so much helpful...
I was just wondering, if there is any "walk" mode in the CS? I didn't find anything like this.

So, thanks a lot for your criticism and advices, I'll fix the mod and re-upload it soon.

...and I guess, you were reviewing the Suran Townhouse, right?

With regards,
Lord Berandas
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hi guys!
I have checked my mods again and I fixed every problem I could think of, but some things just needs to be bleeding a little (some bowls with rounded downs, clothes, some pieces of armor, ...). I checked those objects on the bookshelf, but if I would like to make them totaly perfect, I would have to spend an hour playing with decimal numbers. Come on, no one is going to check, if there is 0,007 space between the book and the shelf, especially when all the surfaces are so uneven... You can't even see it ingame.
Also I have some questions, is there any way how to hide something? i.e. when I am doing something and upper level blocks my view?
...and one more thing, I really don't know, how to improve that my "corner situation"...can someone give me an advice?
I hope there will be the minimum of bugs now...
Attachments
Clean Suran_Townhouse_1.1.esp
(9.55 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Clean Angelina's_house_1.2.esp
(82.45 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Haló, pacholci!
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Next time, wait a week before you bump again.

My previous review was actually looking at Angelina's house. Tbh, most of the reviewing is looked at in the CS. Basically it's looked at meticulously how you place objects on surfaces, and usually how to see if the lines surrounding the box are looking properly dotted.

Here's a little guide that Predator taught me, and it's been very useful:
There is a fine line between bleeding and floating. On straight surfaces the coloured object box needs to be dotted all around, then it is placed perfect.

On uneven surfaces you cannot always place it so that all lines are dotted. However if two opposite lines or corners are dotted, the item stands in a gully, and is placed fine.

If only one line/corner is dotted it means you have half a floater, it touches on one side and floats on the other.

If three lines are dotted you are safe, and the object is placed well.

If a line or corner cannot be seen, it is bleeding.

To place the items well, you should rotate them so that the lines are dotted as above, rotate, raise and 'f' until the required lines are dotted.

If you cannot accomplish an item to be place well, use another item (small ones are always good), or avoid placing stuff at that space.
I'm really not feeling well, but someone else will be glad to clarify any further questions you have. Basically we look at the boxes. And if they're not okay, we look at how the object is placed.

For Suran Tradehouse:
Lighting is nice, North Marker present, right boxes ticked, good job. It fits a shell too, nice.

So I've got minimal complaints on this one. However you've only got 3 pieces of furniture (2 if you discount the table which just has a book on it) which showcase you ability to rotate items properly, and 2 of them are the same. I think that this isn't enough to warrant a promotion - if you can fix the errors I've got below, and replace the lower Chest of Drawers with a bookcase crammed with clutter, I'll give you a recommendation.

Your other errors are:
-the bottom of the misc_com_bottle_02 aren't resting properly on the barrel.
-The planter with the Fire Fern can lose the grass.
-Minor, but replace the 'misc_com_metal_plate_04' with a de_whatever bowl.
-The paper lantern upstairs on the drawers is kinda bleeding.

And that's it. There isn't much criticism, but tbh there isn't much to assess. Please stick in a bookcase and really clutter the crap out of it - see other people's promoted showcases for an idea about what TR is looking for.

For Angelina's House:
-I can see how the exterior works, but it's unorthodox.
-Lighting is good in the first room, but ditch the random blue paper lantern. Seems bombastic in the second - spread the lanterns out and maybe half them, because you've got plenty of candles to light.
-Northern Marker is present with the ITSI box ticked, good.

This interior is too big, because it's not cluttered as well as it should be. I'd stick to your Suran Tradehouse showcase, and stick the bookcase from this one into that one.

The bookcase:
-The misc_de_pot_blue_01 are placed well, good job. You need to make all your objects sit somewhat like this.
-misc_de_goblet_06 are sinking (rotate them to the left)
-misc_de_pitcher_01 is sinking (rotate them to the left)
-misc_de_bowl_01 is sinking (rotate to left)
-misc_de_pot_glass_peach_01 are floating (left) and sinking (rotate to the left)
-Delete one of the chests and put something else in the way (the one on the right is placed well)
-misc_de_pot_redware_01 could be placed better
-The bottom shelf is good.

The rest of the first room is good besides a few errors:
-The second sack (com_sack_02_chpfood3) could be sunk for realism.
-The table is actually floating, and everything on it besides the misc_com_bottle_06 and the cutlery aren't placed that well. Also, throw out the metal plate for a Dunmer once since it's style mixing otherwise.

The placement on your (furn_de_p_table_05) is excellent btw.

Second floor:
-furn_de_p_table_01 and its items on top are placed really well.
-The Corkbulb Root is placed really well too

Other than that, there's not really much going down in there. You could collapse the room to 3x2 and probably fit a large amount of the contents into a more confined space to further show off your spacial awareness skills.

So, in closing, I'd recommend you stick to your first file (Suran Tradhouse), and clutter it more and fixing the minor errors you have. Both of your houses are good but they really lack the immersion due to lots of gaps in the placement of items. Stick in that bookcase and try to pay particular detail to your placement with the rotation - use the lines as a guide.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hello!

Here is my fixed interior, I replaced the drawers for bookshelf and placed some items on it.
Also I've noticed something, I reviewed some interiors with de_p furniture (Balmora and Suran houses) and checked them for floaters and bleeders. Then I was suddenly shocked! :-D
Practicaly everything placed on the uneven surfaces was either floating or bleeding. So I ask a question, why are you so consist about the perfect placement of objects? (I'm talking aspecialy about dishes atc. not about furniture going through walls and other extremes) Sometimes it's a real madness.

I'm looking forward to your answers. :-)
Lord Berandas
Attachments
Clean Suran_Townhouse_1.2.esp
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Because we strive to surpass the original game in terms of quality?

And to reviewers, can we please never mention the selection box trick again? It works, most of the time, but for some objects it plainly doesn't. Use common sense, a low camera pan and rotation setting, and my personal preference, press W to see if the objects' wireframes intersect.

Unfortunately I don't have time to review your file right now but I'm sure someone will shortly. :)
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

The answer can be found when you read the whole text:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=modding_data/tutorials&section=285513
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Well, it has been some time, so... "bump?"
VulcaN
Developer

Post by VulcaN »

Spoon in the cup upstairs bleeds, pauldron on shelf bleeds, chest_small_01_empty floats a little bit but its a tough spot on the shelf, the iron dagger needs to be rotated because only the hilt is touching the shelf, ingred_comberry_01 is half floating and needs to be rotated for shelf, iron broadsword has the same problem as the dagger, careful with place bookskill_speechcraft4 skill books should be used vary sparingly, the emerald and chest with pearls my be to expensive for the house.

Other then that list it looks excellent, for the most part you have done a great job rotating things for de_p, interior is excellently cluttered and has good feel to it.

This is some very minor stuff so touch it up and it is definitely promotion worthy (IMO, don't assume that for sure :D).
POWER VACCUM, LOOT RIOT BURN!
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hi!

So, I've remade some flawed objects. Only the comberry might be rotated a little incorrectly, because it's pretty weirdly shaped, weapons are slightly rotated, book was replaced, pearl box as well. Only two things of which I think are fine, is the chest on the first floor, because it's lying on two oppositely shaped surfaces and I believe, it's not so bad...
and the second thing is the emerald upstairs, I understand, that it's not exactly the cheap item, but, why couldn't the owner have the one little gem, huh? There is no character defined anyway. Thanks for your review VulcaN and I'm looking for another one :-))

Lord Berandas
Attachments
Clean Suran_Townhouse_1.3.esp
(11.58 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
VulcaN
Developer

Post by VulcaN »

Alright looks like you fixed everything up that I mentioned. To me this seems like a pretty good interior.

Modder recomended for interiors

Now Thrignar just has to come around now and give it a look.
POWER VACCUM, LOOT RIOT BURN!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I was going to review this, and then I realized that though your file says 1.3, this is actually the 5th iteration of your suran tradehouse. We normally require that you start a new file after the 3rd iteration.

Fortunately, at this point everything you've learned thus far should allow for fast and easy creation of a new interior.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hello guys!

It has been some time since I was here. Back then I started working on another interior, but after that I got some other things to do...school, "real life" etc. and sadly after then the TR project wasn't the highest priority for me.

But since the Skyrim wasn't so much satisfying for me, I decieded return to Morrowind modding. (I pray so much for the OpenMW project) So here I am now, I can't guarantee, that I will have free time for this in future, but if I will, I would like to give you a hand. Just let me know, if you're still in need of interior cell creator.
I have also made some progress in 3D since then.

Some while ago I made a small ancestral tomb. It's just a simple dungeon, but if you like it, you can use it in your mod, if you don't, nevermind. (it's on the top of cell list)

Lord Berandas
Attachments
Ancestral Tomb.esp
(13.23 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Nerano
Developer

Post by Nerano »

The errors I found:

com_sack_01 could be rotated better
amulet of mighty blows could be sunken slightly more
bonemold_gah-julan_cuirass could be sunken slightly more
common_belt_01 inside of furn_velothi_altar_01

None of those is really visible in the game.

Also, you shouldn't insert creatures. They are added later.

Everything about this interior is great, it might be an actual TR claim.

+= my recommendation for promotion
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I found no additional errors apart from the ones in the previous reviews. I can't promote you for this interior though because it doesn't use de_p furniture. I'm going to have to ask that you create a new interior using this furniture set as being able to work with the most difficult set is required for promotion.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lord Berandas
TR Tester

Post by Lord Berandas »

Well, that wasn't intended as a showcase, just a tomb you might use, if you need one. I have removed those bugs, it should be okay now.
I will return to my unfinished showcase interior and post it soon.
Attachments
Ancestral Tomb.esp
(12.89 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

oh hah, wow I totally missed that. (as did the reviewers)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo