The Real World Size of Tamriel Rebuilt

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

LanceAvion

The Real World Size of Tamriel Rebuilt

Post by LanceAvion »

I recently started to ponder the map sizes of various Elder Scroll games. Regarding the three last games Morrowind (Vvardenfell) is supposed to be around 8 sq miles; Oblivion (Cyrodiil) around 16 sq miles; and Skyrim around 15-16 sq miles. Considering Tamriel Rebuilt is using Morrowind's scale and the entire province in addition to Solstheim looks to be about three times larger than Vvardenfell I'd say the entire landmass will be around 32 sq miles. If so very impressive and I applause everyone for making the largest handcraft Elder scrolls world by far. If not the applause still applies but can anyone give me a closer estimate?
-That's all I have to say, for now.-
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Actually, you dont have to guess how large it is. I do not remember immediatly what it is, but each cell is a certain number of units and each unit is equivalent to a certain number of meters. Its noted somewhere.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

I think, size-wise, it goes Arena>Daggerfall>Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion. Using my math degree (read: Google) I found that a bunch of people came up with the statistic that 1 exterior cell = 0.0049286445 square miles. If someone would check on how large current stitched versions of all our work is, I could tell you. Using maps available pretty much everywhere, it just looks like the rest of the province is roughly 2.5 Vvardenfells. Since it has been calculated that Vvardenfell is about 5.5 sq. mi., then TR would be 13.75 square miles. That's about 2/5ths of Manhattan or 1/112th of the state of Rhode Island.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
LanceAvion

Post by LanceAvion »

Thanks for the quick response and more accurate scale. I'll still attempt to get a more precise estimate myself, but I'm sure your 19 sq mile or so estimate is sufficient. If anyone else wants to add anything, especially Morrowind's size compared to Skyrim and Oblivion, I would like to hear from you.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Daggerfall is bigger than Arena. It's something like twice the size of Great Britain.
cabal

Post by cabal »

And Morrowind covers the smallest area, but feels large because of how slow you move and how twisty the roads are.
LanceAvion

Post by LanceAvion »

Oh I've heard about Daggerfall's legendary size. I never knew where Arena stood but I always assumed it was far more massive than the modern games. As it stands I'd say the greatest to smallest game worlds would be;
Daggerfall>>Arena>>Tamriel Rebuilt>>Oblivion>>Skyrim>>Morrowind.
I'm including TR for sense of scale.