q2-32-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

rot wrote:Use the drinking sound (PlaySound, "Drink").
Why didn't I think of that? :D
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

[url=http://www.freegamesviking.com/]Getting bored?[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Just playtested this again with the new TR_Mainland; there seem to be no problems with the update. But here are some new issues I've found:

Why have you edited Greeting 1 "No, please stop! I'm beaten." by Kiliban Samarys?

"Lets talk" should be "Let's talk" in Hlavesa Llenim's greeting.

The dialogue with Jociel Marinard on the eponymous topic is missing a consequent rough choice (no "I'm sorry"). This should lead to him being less helpful as it comes to the cure-poison potion, and possibly the questgiver being grumbly at the end.

Typo "coprse".

Reply "I don't recall inviting you to discuss the issue [...]" to topic "business" is dirtied.

Sorry for not replying in time about Sandol. rot has explained it in detail now. Sandol can both be dead and have his greeting overwritten by an FG quest greeting. I'm not sure if the greeting is an issue, but him being dead definitely is.

Good work on much of the dialogue. I'll have a look at Marvus' melodramatic tone later when the errors are fixed; I see what style you've been trying to follow, and the question is only if you've caught that style. But even if something will have to be changed, I don't think it will be much.

"Here, take these as a token of my gratitude." can you diversify this a bit? I see "token of my gratitude" waaaaaaaaay too often.

"I see where this is going! Sandol is trying to set you up against me! You know why he tried to kill me? Because I'm the only one who's on to his thievery! That's right, Sandol steals from the East Empire Company. Every day Sandol eats diamonds and then smuggles them out of the mine. Well, I guess you can fill in the rest of the story yourself but that's why he's out to get me. I didn't want to tell anyone before I had more evidence but since he's playing it dirty I have no other choice." This isn't bad but it switches between melodramatic and plain a bit much. I'd remove the "That's right", for example. And reformula the "Well, I guess..." sentence.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

-Cleaned the esp (let's hope it is :p )
-Corrected some typos
-Rephrased some things
-Changed the sequence where you give the potion
-Added the possibility to use Cure Poison Spell
-You now skip the part with Sandol if he's dead when you cure Marvus

None of this has been tested! I'm studying during the day so no time for that :P

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

replayed Zaren with no problems,

- when you go back to the EEC to finish the quests, Zaren and Culenne2 have default greetings (I'm fine, what can I do for you?); they could maybe link the quest topics ('package', 'favor')

- didn't see Zaren stuck into stuff this time but he still wanders around

Cule1:

- if you steal the coherer: (after showing it to the Imperial Archaeological scholar) if you don't have it in your inventory, Cule will tell you to go bully Vodunius, but he won't have any topic available = dead end . edit: that's just because his entry on "dwemer artifact" checks if you have it to say 'hey that's mine'

Cule2:

- script TR_m2_q_32_Marvus_Termian , instacrashes:
because of the two lines that check journal, "if ( Journal TR_m2_EEC_Cule2 <= 30 )" - needs to be GetJournalIndex instead of Journal

- also that same line should check < 30 rather than <= 30 (otherwise curing him by spell doesn't work before you go get money from Jociel)

- you can get the journal entry 60 that says "Other miners told me that Marvus..."
from Guards and not just miners

- "shifty looking" entries are available from Jociel, in case it's not intentional

- "my last breath has neared closer on me than sooner than Lord Akatosh had planned for me"
was probably meant "my last breath has neared on me sooner than Lord Akatosh had planned" ?

- script TR_m2_q_32_UsePotion , is launched from a greeting resultbox,
thing is, when you get a new greeting MenuMode briefly returns 0, so the script doesn't stop at "If ( MenuMode == 1 ) Return" and doesn't wait for you to get out of dialogue. You could just "Return" for that first frame (using doonce...) on top of the script

- Marvus now properly shortcuts the Sandol part if he was dead before you cure him.
If Sandol dies *after* you cure him the quest can still break,
I suggest modifying his script TR_m2_q_20_Sandol so that if OnDeath == 1 after you've cured Marvus, it finishes the quest somehow (perhaps just fail it after that? the diamonds dude probably wouldn't like you killing his miners)

unrelated betacomments-

in_c_pillar_wood Helnim, Helnim Hall: East Empire Company Headquarters 11584 3902 12416 "flickering and can just be removed"

in_c_pillar_wood Helnim, Imperial Archaeological Society 4576 2704 15008
in_c_pillar_wood Helnim, Imperial Archaeological Society 4832 2704 15008 "both flicker when moving from the entrance. not too bothersome"

in_mold_rock_06 Helnim, Diamond Mine 4416 4096 15152 "a character with low speed can also get stuck here"
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I've stumbled across a dialogue related problem: how do I do it where you tell Culenne that you've failed because you kind of killed one of her miners. You still have to give her back the key. No problem if you have it, but what could I do if you don't have it on you?

You can't just say: "You've failed the quest, but fetch me that key first before it's actually finished."

Also, I did all the changes except all the Dead-Sandol related lines since I'd like to do that all together.

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

The PC really has no reason to not have the key and it's just a fringe case to cover, so how about she's very angry and just goes "First things first, where's my key?" without even mentioning quest failure if you don't have the key?
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

that's another way to do it. :) Thanks bro. Can't think straight with all this stuff I have to study...

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Passed all of my exams so let's have a final go with this one :P

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Killing Sandol should now cause the quest to fail. Cleaned the .esp (hopefully completely).

On merge the crate of Vodunius Harmevus should be placed inside his house and the generic guar in Tel Motrivra should be deleted since there's a unique one instead.

As long as new loopholes or something show up, I consider this one finished.

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

playthrough comments, if you're still tweaking:

TR_m2_Seris Athyon, greetings: after lying to her about the discount, if you immediately talk to her again, she'll go 'You filthy liar...'. Could simply add a quest state condition so it only happens after you've reported to Zaren?

TR_m2_Marvus Termian has a wrong greeting if you kill Sandol: "You! You are one of Sandol's lapdogs! Be gone from me!"

TR_m2_Culenne Mair, this dialogue on topic Dwemer artifacts can be obtained when it's no longer true: "Vodunius Harmevus is selling them without our permission. If you get me proof of his little business I'll make it worth your time." (I already brought her proof and she's just sent me to make him stop)

Zaren and Culenne don't link the quest topics in their greetings when you go finish the quests (having to look for them in the list is only a minor inconvenience, but might make sense for them to inquire about it)
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Will have to wait, I'm suffering from a severe case of BSOD fever :'( Haven't tracked down the reason of the BSOD's but I'm working on it. Let's hope he doesn't die :P

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

rot's issues and various typos fixed. Quests are no longer startable without being in the EEC. Some (but not much) playtesting done.

I'm not happy with the only choice in the dialogue with the alchemist being apologizing. I'm also not happy with "You've got no decency at all!" being used for something as trivial as Zaren's pants. But I don't have the time to fix these...
Last edited by arvisrend on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Various errors (stylistic and typos) found by gro-Dhal and Adanorcil corrected. Thanks to both of you! Also, made a less apologetic alternative dialogue for Series.
Attachments
TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_11.esp
(84.06 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I've given up on fixing my rig :'( may she rest in peace... Thanks for doing the final touches Arvi!

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Update:

- You can no longer start the Cule1 quest without being in the EEC via the "Dwemer artifacts" topic.
- You don't have to lie if you rip the package open in Zare1.
- If you do, you don't get any facrep.
- The Cule2 quest doesn't break if you kill Sandol beforehand (a condition was wrong on Culenne's final dialogue).
- Various style fixes.

Not done: contingency scripting/dialogue for killing the guar or the merchant in Zare1.

Will continue tomorrow.

The following is mostly for my own convenience.

$ python journal.py dumpq2-32.txt

---------------

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 0

East Empire Company: Investigate Sale of Dwemer Artifacts
QUEST NAME: East Empire Company: Investigate Sale of Dwemer Artifacts

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 10

Culenne Mair told me of rumors she heard about Vodunius Harmevus. It appears as if he is selling Dwemer artifacts without the permission of the East Empire Company, something that needs to be investigated. I can find Vodunius Harmevus' house right behind the shop of Argul Gro-Urgush, the local smith.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 12

Vodunius Harmevus has offered me a Dwemer artifact which supposedly belonged to Dumac Dwarfking. Together with this confession, that artifact might be the evidence that Culenne Mair is looking for. Buying it is for sure the fastest way to collect the evidence.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 15

I have found a Dwemer coherer in a crate in Vodunius' house. Culenne probably wants to see it as soon as possible.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 17

I have bought a Dwemer coherer from Vodunius Harmevus. Culenne Mair would probably want to see it right away.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 20

Culenne questioned the antiquity of the Dwemer artifact I have lifted from Vodunius. In order to get a decisive answer, she asked me to check with Octavius Mariss at the Archaeological Society, which is located near Helnim's west gate.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 22

Culenne questioned the antiquity of the Dwemer artifact I have procured from Vodunius. In order to get a decisive answer, she asked me to show it to Octavius Mariss at the Archaeological Society, which is located near Helnim's west gate.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 25

Octavius Mariss explained, in far greater detail, what Culenne Mair was thinking. The artifact from Vodunius Harmevus is a fake, and apparently a pretty bad one at that.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 27

Octavius Mariss explained, in far greater detail, what Culenne Mair was thinking. The artifact I got from Vodunius Harmevus is a fake, and apparently a pretty bad one at that.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 30

Culenne asked me to confront Vodunius and prompt him to stop trading in fake artifacts.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 32

Culenne asked me to talk to Vodunius and demand that he stop trading in forgeries.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 35

Vodunius Harmevus was not a bit surprised when I called him out on the fake coherer. He was expecting that someone would figure out his business any time soon. He promised to stop selling forgeries.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 37

Vodunius Harmevus was not really surprised when I returned. He was expecting that someone would figure out his business any time soon. He promised to stop selling forgeries.

tr_m2_eec_cule1 Stage 40

Culenne Mair rewarded me for halting the forged artifact trade in Helnim, at least for the time being.
FINISHED!

---------------

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 0

East Empire Company: Miner Problems
QUEST NAME: East Empire Company: Miner Problems

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 10

Culenne Mair asked me to collect some samples for inspection from the Helnim Diamond Mine. Jociel Marinard should be able to give me those samples.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 20

Jociel Marinard has the samples I need but he "can't" give them to me just yet. It appears that there is a problem with a miner named Marvus Termian, and it looks like I will not get anything out of Jociel until I've solved the problem. I should talk to this Marvus and figure out what's wrong.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 25

There is definitely something wrong with Marvus Termian. Whether it is mental or physical isn't really clear...

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 30

Marvus is feeling very ill and suspects he has been poisoned. He asked me to bring him a potion of cure poison as soon as possible. Since he's working for Jociel, I might ask him for a potion.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 35

Jociel gave me some money to buy a potion of cure poison for Marvus Termian.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 40

I brought a curing potion to Marvus Termian.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 45

I cured Marvus Termian with a spell.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 50

After Marvus was cured he told me he suspects -- no, accuses -- Sandol, a fellow miner, of poisoning him. Marvus described him as a rather "shifty looking" type. Maybe I should ask around before I jump to a conclusion.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 60

People at the mine let me know that Marvus is a bit of a fool and that he has been eating some raw mushrooms. This might be a slightly more plausible explanation to his poisoning. I should talk to Marvus right away.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 70

Marvus Termian denied eating any mushrooms and has now accused Sandol of stealing diamonds from the mine by eating them. I might want to question Sandol about this.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 80

Not unexpectedly, Sandol considers Marvus' allegations to be utter idiocies. I guess I should talk to Jociel Marinard and tell him what I think about the whole situation.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 81

Marvus Termian thanked me for healing him and was as happy as ever again.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 90

I told Jociel that everything was taken care of but didn't mention Marvus' revelations about Sandol. He gave me the samples Culenne wants.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 91

I told Jociel that everything was taken care of and received the samples Culenne wants.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 95

I brought the diamond samples from Jociel to Culenne Mair. She thanked me and rewarded me with some gold.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 100

I told Jociel that everything was taken care of and recounted the story of Sandol stealing diamonds and poisoning Marvus Termian. Although he did give me the samples for Culenne, he didn't seem to believe me...

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 103

Marvus lauded me for telling the truth about Sandol to Jociel. Although it won't make all that of a difference, Marvus still thanked me with some hackle-lo leaves.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 105

Culenne Mair thanked and rewarded me for the samples from the mine.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 110

I told Jociel that Marvus' poisoning was taken care of and informed him that Marvus has been spreading lies about Sandol. He wasn't surprised to hear this and gave me the samples Culenne needs.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 113

Sandol thanked me for reporting Marvus.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 115

I brought the diamond samples Jociel gave me to Culenne Mair. She thanked and reimbursed me for the troubles.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 120

Sandol is dead. I don't think Jociel will be willing to cooperate with me now I've killed one of his employees.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 123

Jociel Marinard won't be giving me the samples Culenne requested. I should report back to her and admit my failure.

tr_m2_eec_cule2 Stage 125

Culenne wasn't pleased when I told her I didn't collect the samples and killed Sandol instead. I guess I won't be getting a reward for this...
FINISHED!

---------------

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 0

East Empire Company: Business as Usual
QUEST NAME: East Empire Company: Business as Usual

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 5

Zaren Hammebenat asked me to collect a package from Hlavesa Llenim.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 10

Zaren Hammebenat gave me 50 Septims to pay Hlavesa Llenim for the package. Zaren told me Hlavesa is staying in The Glass Goblet in Tel Mothrivra.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 20

Hlavesa Llenim prefers to deliver his packages to his customers in person. If he is to make an exception for me, he wants me to cure his sick guar that is standing in front of The Glass Goblet. Seris Athyon, the local magic supplier, refused to sell a cure-disease potion to Hlavesa for some reason unknown. I might have a word with Seris about it or find another way to cure that guar.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 23

It appears that Seris Athyon refused to sell her potions to Hlavesa Llenim because he was very rude to her. I apologized on behalf of Hlavesa and she accepted the apologies.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 27

It appears that Seris Athyon refused to sell her potions to Hlavesa Llenim because he was very rude to her. I apologized on behalf of Hlavesa and promised her he would give her a discount on her purchases from him. She believed my lie and even gave me the potion I needed for free.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 30

I cured Hlavesa Llenim's guar with a common restoration spell. I should speak to Hlavesa about the package.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 40

I gave a potion of Cure Common Disease to Hlavesa Llenim. His guar will feel better pretty soon. Now I took care of his problem he agreed to sell me the package for Zaren Hemmebenat.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 45

Hlavesa Llenim was very pleased I cured his guar and agreed to sell me the package for Zaren Hammebenat.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 50

I bought the package for Zaren Hammebenat from Hlavesa Llenim. I wonder what's inside...

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 52

I bought the package for Zaren Hammebenat from Hlavesa Llenim and even got a discount. Now I wonder what's inside that package...

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 55

I couldn't control my curiosity and opened the package for Zaren Hammebenat. It contained a fine pair of pants.

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 60

I delivered the package to Zaren Hammebenat. It contained a pair of pants. Zaren thanked me and gave me a bottle of Cyrodiilic Brandy in return for my services.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 65

I delivered the pants to Zaren Hammebenat. He was a bit upset that the package was opened but believed me when I told him the package accidently ripped open along the way back.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 68

I delivered the pants to Zaren Hammebenat. He was not happy to find the package opened, but he esteemed my honesty about how this happened and even gave me some reward.
FINISHED!

tr_m2_eec_zare1 Stage 70

I delivered the pants to Zaren Hammebenat. He was upset that the package was opened and got really angry when I lied about why it was opened up. Although he got his pants in one piece, he didn't give me any reward.
FINISHED!
Attachments
dumpq2-32.txt
(139.61 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_12.esp
(85.83 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Updated version with consistency dialogue for Zare1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/832 ... tor_12.esp

I'll continue tomorrow, as in actually tomorrow.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Review completed. (Including the link with the FG which allows you to finish the "beat up Sandol" quest without actually beating him up if you have helped Sandol during the EEC quest. Also, some FG dialogue has been improved, mainly because the guards in the mine would make contradictory statements about Sandol in the two quests involving him. These things are bound to happen when quest designs are left to gather dust for several years...)

@Zobator: good work! Apart from some very forgivable technical mistakes*, the only thing you did wrong is noticing the FG quest that involves Sandol too late; but this was really a mistake on our side (questers should be warned of these conflicts beforehand). Sorry for the delay in reviewing, but good news is that the release isn't far afield anymore.

* Let me list some of the mistakes so that others can learn.

- Don't ever give a script and an object the same ID. This is Russian roulette and did cause a bug in this claim.
- Dialogue and journal shouldn't state things that are obvious. "I cured her with a spell of Cure Common Disease" can be losslessly shortened to "I cured this heretic with a spell" in the journal and most likely in dialogue as well (unless the player can be reasonably construed to mean "I cured her with a fire spell"). Variation is fine, but just naming the spell is not variation :)
- Don't put words into the player's mouth. What if I rip open the package for Zaren, but don't want to lie and pretend that it was accidental? What if I don't want to be apologetic to the boss at the mine after I've been rude to him? Often it's as easy as adding another choice option, even if the consequences are the same.
- You can't removeitem an object from the very script running on this object. Well, you can, but every once in a while it will crash. Avoiding this Heisenbug is relatively easy: instead of removeiteming it, startscript a global script which removeitems it a few frames after it is started.
- Beware of thinking one thing and saying another: "does this artifact weighs much less than any other artifact you've ever held in your hands" -- like any other artifact? really? :)

Thanks rot for the debugging and testing help!

I'll move this to Finished once it's merged into Mainland.

Merge instructions:

Remove the second guar in front of The Glass Goblet.

Replace a crate (one of the better hidden ones) in Vodunius' house by the TR_m2_q_32_vodunius crate.

Check that dialogue has merged right.
Attachments
dumpq2-32.txt
(162.54 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_14.esp
(100.18 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Just checking in and glad to see this got finished without me :)

I'm currently planning a new pc-build so me returning to this place isn't unrealistic :D

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Has this actually been merged?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Yes it has. And I was an idiot to not record this in the thread.