q2-36-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

Update #8
arvisrend wrote:The update has caused only one error, namely the "duties" responses have got out of order.
fixed
arvisrend wrote:Francine talks way too melodramatic and too formal (ever heard "urgent if not downright unpostponable" in speech?).
toned her down (enough or more?)
arvisrend wrote:Moreover, she shouldn't direct you to Polodie for levitation potions, but give you one herself; she supplies the player with stuff on the quests before, so it is only reasonable she will do the same on her own quests.
Francine gives the player some potions now
arvisrend wrote:My idea on Francine's writing the letter of apology was that it be motivated by shame rather than fear of retaliation.
implemented
arvisrend wrote:Also, I imagined Francine being a bit confused at first when she hears of Rilmas' reaction to her letter: she expected him to be angry while he doesn't give a shit. That confusion should then turn into relief, but it shouldn't start as relief right away.
same here
arvisrend wrote:Here is a point brought up by Sload: Dialogue shouldn't suggest to the player to use fast travel without reason (it's basically suggesting to not explore the lands).
she now tells the player that she doesn't know the way (because she uses transport services)
arvisrend wrote:50000 gold is way too much for a bounty for liberating a slave, even with a corruption multiplier. Maybe 1500 gold?
5000, final offer
arvisrend wrote:Arvs Rethrati is missing the most obvious dialogue option: What is the cause of the arrest?
implemented (requires speechcraft, disposition, 1500 gold)
arvisrend wrote:The Giordano note is nice, although the name sounds a bit too Italian for me.
changed to Julian (ok?)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Very nice! Dialogue is fine now, and while I'll probably make some changes in the end, they will be mostly cosmetic. (One example: I think the words Francine describes that expert in Alt Bosara with are both too adulating and too formal; scientists don't speak of each other like that. On a similar note, "a sizable quantum of residual energies develops" should be "residual energies develop" -- science talk can be confusing but shouldn't be redundant or vague.)

I have not done any serious script review so far; will do so once you say that you're not going to do any more changes (except when bugs are found).

Yeah, Julian is an OK name.

Some issues:

- Maybe add a greeting highlighting the "duties" topic once the first quest is available?

- Same for the second one.

- The dialogue finishing the first quest might link to the topic of the second quest if the second one is already available (probably won't be for most players).

- When Francine talks about the "erratic noise" circulating in the places of repeated ritual and magic, I'd expect her to suspect that the noise is not really erratic and has some meaning. Either a way, this is a pretty good bridge to the Andothren MG story.

- In the same dialogue, the player might give Francine a suggestion that the same "erratic noise" is found in Daedric shrines. (This shouldn't have any consequences -- she'll learn about this either way later.)

-

Code: Select all

MessageBox "He starts writing a letter."
should be

Code: Select all

MessageBox "[He starts writing a letter.]"
Everything outside of brackets is direct speech. (Yes, we should better advertise this unwritten rule.)

- "Mage's Guild" should be "Mages' Guild" or "Guild of Mages".

- You might want to make Francine talk about emigration (to better parts of Morrowind or even other provinces). What I plan to do later is have her move to Andothren.
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

Update #9

Included what arvisrend said except the stuff about daedric shrines (it seems a bit too cheesy to me, feel free to add it if you think it's fitting)

I'm going to call the claim FINISHED from my side
arvisrend, you can go ahead and fine-tune the dialogue
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

arvisrend wrote:On a similar note, "a sizable quantum of residual energies develops" should be "residual energies develop"

Sorry I don't have time to lookover the whole file, but just to note: "develops" seems to be correct here, because it is referring to the singular 'quantum', not the plural 'energies'.

Although whether these words themselves are context-appropriate in Morrowind I don't know. (Quantum??)

Haplo Edit - Quantum isn't really appropriate for Tamriel. While such technologies might have existed during the height of Dwemer studies, they probably weren't called quantum things, which has a very futuristic sci-fi feel to it. And who is to say the Dwemer hadn't already surpassed quantum technology? I mean, they transported themselves outside of Mundus or w/e, so they probably could control matter in many, many states, not just two states at once. :-)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I think arvisrend means to remove "a sizable quantum of" from the dialogue
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Sload wrote:I think arvisrend means to remove "a sizable quantum of" from the dialogue
Yeah, that was what I meant; sorry for brevity.
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

arvisrend wrote:Yeah, that was what I meant; sorry for brevity.
And that's how I understood it too.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Some changes done. I see a lot of good dialogue in your claim (version 9 at least), but in some places you are a bit brief, and in others, you're repeatedly stating the obvious ("How terrible! Haven't I been able to cast a teleportation spell, I would still be incarcerated in that horrible cell.", "I on the other hand have become victim of a serious judicial error", "Imagine, I had to use a spell of Recall to escape the prison." etc.). By the way, in my dialogue, she fled before she arrived in prison (that seems the more reasonable thing to do). Also, "judicial error" presumes there was due process involved, which isn't quite the case here...

Attached is the new file (not done reviewing yet, and will hopefully continue tomorrow), as well as tes3cmd dumps of your and my versions. If you have some 10 minutes, you can compare them e.g. using [url=http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/]kdiff3[/url] to see what I changed and what I added (among other things, I added some dialogue on Ranosa and on Mjara).

To-do list:

- This one is weird: "Don't ask me. I'm not commander of this fort. Talk to the second-in-command, whoever that is...". Presumably guards at the fort should know who the second-in-command is? Or is this because he could be dead? I haven't figured out whom to talk to in this case BTW.
Attachments
dump2-36-new.txt
new version of dialogue
(83.95 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
dump2-36-old.txt
old version of dialogue
(79.29 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
TR_q2-36-Imp_6plus_10.esp
new file
(57.53 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
6plus
Developer

Post by 6plus »

arvisrend wrote:- This one is weird: "Don't ask me. I'm not commander of this fort. Talk to the second-in-command, whoever that is...". Presumably guards at the fort should know who the second-in-command is? Or is this because he could be dead? I haven't figured out whom to talk to in this case BTW.
Yeah, that's the response when Arvs is dead. Basically, they don't really care (lack of discipline, unclear chain of command), but it just dawned to me that 'second-in-command' could be changed to 'transitional commander' or 'interim commander' maybe.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Ah, good suggestion -- not knowing who the second-in-command is is weird, but not knowing who the interim is makes sense.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Books proofread, minor changes made, quests playtested ingame. Remains to proofread the dialogue and I'll declare this finished.
Attachments
dump2-36-new.txt
(82.38 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
TR_q2-36-Imp_6plus_10.esp
(57.56 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Finished version, ready for merge.

Once again, thank you 6plus!
Attachments
dump2-36new.txt