The Uprising in Almalexia: Witness Reports [Added]

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Rats
Lead Developer

The Uprising in Almalexia: Witness Reports [Added]

Post by Rats »

The Uprising in Almalexia

Witness reports from the archives of the Imperial Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration

edited by Ottrebus Auriil

A word from the editor

The decade of Jagar Tharn's false reign known as the Imperial Simulacrum (3E 389-399) was a turbulent time for all the Empire, but it can be argued that the chaos culminated in the easternmost province of Morrowind. During the Simulacrum, Morrowind engaged in a border war with Black Marsh, and the holds of Old Ebonheart and Firewatch became locked in a stalemate civil war. The event which preceded and attributed to the ignition of these senseless conflicts was the 3E 391 uprising in Almalexia. During the riots the streets of the capital citadel of Mournhold were overrun by masses of revolting peasantry and the regent of Morrowind, Lord Symmachus, was slain.

After the fall of Jagar Tharn, the Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration ordered a collecting of witness reports to shed light on events of the revolt. The Commission permitted me to go through their archives and select a number of accounts for publication. In most cases, the interviewees suffered from a severe --and may I say convenient-- amnesia concerning the uprising. The three witness reports that I have chosen to publish here, however, give interesting insight into the uprising from three very different points of view.

Devyn Sobaris, a rickshaw

Did I take part in the uprising? B'vek no. But I saw and knew many who did. I remember this one gang of youngsters particularly well. "We're going to take Godsreach", they were shouting. They had crude clubs and staves in their hands. One boy donned a kettle for a helmet. "Go right ahead, but count me out," I told them. I pictured what their heads would look like on pikes above the city gates.

I've lived in lower Almalexia all my life. The Imperial taxes don't mean a netchiman's wife's fart to me. I'm practically a beggar; how are they going to tax me? And I don't think the taxes meant that much to those youths, either. Sure, times are tough, but a shrewd guy always gets by, and there's no un-shrewd common folk in this city.

But you see, there were these... what's the fancy word for it... "aggravators"? Anyway, these folks -- outlanders most of them -- on the streets whispering to the commoners' ears. I worked a rickshaw in the city and heard a lot of their talk. One time, this Cyrod gal sits down on my cart and begins to talk: "You know, the bread is so expensive because the Emperor has issued higher a tax on Deshaan flour.â€Â￾ “The Queen probably went west, because she doesn't care for Morrowind no more.â€Â￾ “Where's the common folk going to go?â€Â￾ That sort of drivel. Anyhow, I dropped her off, took my money and paid no further attention. Still think she was getting paid for it. [Editor's note: The "outlanders" and the Imperial woman the witness refers to were most likely spies and agitators planted by Jagar Tharn, the Arch-Traitor.]

Thalrys Mendrano, a former household guard

I remember the day Lord General Symmachus talked to the people. They were gathered before the main gates of Mournhold, hundreds of them. Mostly peasants and commoners but I recognized among them some petty noblemer, too. They were disgruntled by the new taxes and displeased with the departure of the Queen. The Lord General walked towards them to soothe their anger, and we encircled him with shields to keep the rabble from reaching him. An Imperial taxman had been torn from his carriage and stoned to death in lower Almalexia the previous day, so we had to be careful.

Symmachus talked reason but they would not listen. They kept clamoring for the Queen, justice, bread... One young lad called Symmachus Septim's cuckold. I had my longspear at the ready and my arms were keen. My blood was up and I would have done it, but Symmachus stayed my hand. I remember how the Lord General looked at me and said: "Ai. The boy does not threaten me. Do not spill his blood." I am thankful he stopped me. Things would have gotten very ugly very fast.

Then the rocks started flying. More and more people came, and more and more rocks flew. Symmachus fell into my arms, unconscious; a big gash by his temple. I ordered the retreat and we carried the Lord General back inside Mournhold. [Editor's note: Though this account suggests that Symmachus was grievously wounded by the stones flung at him, the more popular account of his death claims that he died of an assassin's poison dart at a much later stage of the uprising. Naturally, it would be disenchanting had the celebrated hero of the Empire fallen before the rebellion had properly begun.]

Lleevu Varis, a temple caretaker

The last day of the uprising... Yes, I do recall. I was working in the High Chapel that morning. The fighting had finally reached the streets of Mournhold the night before. I remember there was smoke all over the Temple courtyard, from the fires that burned in the bazaar and Godsreach.

We were told that Lord Symmachus was coming to seek an audience with the goddess. I expected a war-council. I thought he would plead with the Mother of Morrowind to end the rebellion. But when they came, not long after morning's first light, I saw Symmachus was more fit to receive his last rites from the goddess rather than to counsel with Her. He arrived on a stretcher carried by only a handful of his household guards, all of them Dunmer. No Imperial soldiers with him. I did not know it at the time, but they had already abandoned him. [Editor's note: There is no evidence in support of this claim. Quite possibly the Imperial Legionnaires were busy with the rebels.] They waited 'til noon, but Lady Almalexia wouldn't summon them. Symmachus' strength was withering away along with the spirit of his guards. He made this feeble, defeated gesture with his hand and the stretcher was lifted and they began to depart.

Before they left, I overheard the guard captain's instructions to one of the royal couriers. Symmachus sent word to all the Houses; a call to arms, but not against the people. He would choose their side, against the Empire, with or without the goddess. Maybe drive Cyrodiil out altogether. And then he ended with “Hai Resdayniaâ€Â￾. Now that's just a phrase to you foreigners, but for the Dunmer, there's fire in those words. When the right mouth says them, like Nerevar once did, they cannot be refused. Maybe Symmachus could have been the one; I don't know.

Nothing came of it, of course. Our Lady sees further than we do. Symmachus was dead by dusk and then they placed some puppet on his wife's throne and the whole thing was done and dealt with.

-------

//edit: So, initially I was going to write a study on the Arnesian War, but ultimately decided to go for the revolts in Mournhold/Almalexia. The subject seems more current as Almalexia is being built and designed at the moment.

Please do give feedback; even as fundamental as should I be submitting book manuscripts for TR at all (I'm not a native English speaker, so even if I consider myself an able writer in my own language, I might be awful and not even realize it).
Last edited by Rats on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

A good idea and an interesting text. Here's the first things that came to my mind:
Hell no.
I'm practically a beggar, for gods sake
Too christian I'd say.
I stopped the cart and told the gal to go talk to someone who gives a s'wit.
I don't think that's how the word s'wit is used (slackwit?), even though it sounds hilarious.

Just my (very short, I know) two drakes.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Thank you for your comments, roerich!

Ah! I had no idea s'wit is a short form of slackwit! I thought it was just a generic, multipurpose Dunmeris profanity. Damn shame if its indeed actually English.

I meant "gods sake" as in "gods' sake", multiple gods. Edited that now. The word "Hell" is used in the vanilla game both in religious sense (in "Vivec and Mephala" the Red Mountain is said to be the "gate to hell") and as a curse word ("The hell with the Dark Brotherhood, the hell with the Morag Tong." -- Thauraver's orders in BM).
Yeti
Lead Developer

Re: The Uprising in Almalexia: Witness Reports

Post by Yeti »

This is quite good, Rats, and it builds upon an event in Morrowind's lore that was never really brought up in the game, despite it being relatively recent history (at least from a Dunmer's point of view). When reading it, I honestly couldn't tell that English is your second language. I could never write something like this in German, even after studying it for years in school. :D

Some initial thoughts on things that didn't sound right to me:
Rats wrote: How I hated him.
I don't think this short sentence is necessarily. It's usually best to describe someone's feelings through their actions rather than outright stating how they feel, even if this is structured as an interview. This line itself feels a little awkward in the text.
Rats wrote:Oh, but I overheard him.
The use of "oh" here as a transition sounds rather weird.
Rats wrote: It was a message to all the Great Houses of Morrowind. A call to arms, but not against the revolting peasants. "The Lord General will bring the n'wah Empire to its knees, with or without the goddess. We will give the people the justice they demand. Make haste. Hai Resdaynia!" The words were like an echo from the distant past; I felt shivers of excitement run through my spine. "Hai Resdaynia!" the messenger repeated and hurried out of the temple. Of course, nothing ever came of all this. By dusk Symmachus had died.
This last part is kind of confusing. Why is Symmachus suddenly so angry at the empire on his deathbed? Of course, I'm not very well-versed with pre-Morrowind Elder Scrolls lore, so the fault here might be with me.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Rats
Lead Developer

Re: The Uprising in Almalexia: Witness Reports

Post by Rats »

Thank you very much, Yeti, for improvement suggestions! (by the way it means a lot to me to know that my English isn't unreadable!)
Yeti wrote:Why is Symmachus suddenly so angry at the empire on his deathbed?
It isn't that his angry. In "The Real Barenziah" it's revealed that Symmachus had a back-up plan for overthrowing Uriel Septim if the Imperial oppression in Morrowind wouldn't stop. Symmachus was clearly a man of duty and honor, but his loyalty to the Empire was surpassed by his loyalty to Barenziah (and with that to Morrowind). To protect Barenziah's throne and in an attempt to save Mournhold (and rest of Morrowind) from falling into utter chaos he is ready to put the plan into action. All too late, of course, since the rebels have already overran the city.
The Real Barenziah, part 5 wrote:[Symmachus:] "Without my aid the Empire would never have begun. I helped its rise." His voice hardened. "I can bring about its fall. You may tell Uriel Septim that. That, and that my patience is not infinite." Barenziah gasped. Symmachus was not given to empty threats. She'd no more imagined that he would ever turn against the Empire than that the old house wolf lying by the grate would turn on her.

"How?" she demanded breathlessly. But he shook his head. "Better that you not know," he said. "Just tell him what I told you should he prove recalcitrant, and do not fear. He's Septim enough that he will not take it out on the messenger." He smiled grimly. "For if he does, if he ever harms the least hair on you, my love, or the children -- so help me all the gods of Tamriel, he'll pray that he hadn't been born. Ai. I'll hunt him down, him and his entire family. And I won't rest until the last Septim is dead."
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I like this. I think the wording could be improved in a couple of places as has already been suggested, but as someone who's never bothered to read any of the Barenziah books I found it pretty interesting.

One suggestion- I think it works better if Sobaryn's account comes first, as he sets the context and gives the whole thing a better sense of chronology.

Definitely ditch the Hell No as well!
Test
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The past tense of thrust is also thrust. Also for standards' sake, the plural/possessive words ending in s just have an apostrophe after them, not apostrophe + s.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

--A wild update appeared!

Code: Select all

* axed "Hell no"
* axed "How I hated him."
* changed "s'wit" to "nchow"
* fixed the apostrophes in the plurals and possessives
* added some new notes from the editor
* changed the order of chapters one and two
* changed "thrusted" to "thrust"
* fixed a couple of other typos and grammar errors 

witness reports from the archives of the Imperial Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration

A short note from the editor

The decade of Jagar Tharn's false reign known as the Imperial Simulacrum (3E 389-399) was a turbulent time to all the Empire, but it can be argued that the chaos culminated in the easternmost province of Morrowind. During the Simulacrum, Morrowind engaged in a border war against its southern neighbor of Black Marsh, and the Imperial holds of Old Ebonheart and Firewatch were locked in a stalemate civil war against each other. The event which preceded and attributed to the ignition of these senseless conflicts was the rebellion popularly dubbed as the uprising in Almalexia. During the uprising the streets of the capital citadel of Mournhold were overrun by masses of revolting peasantry and the regent of Morrowind, Lord Symmachus, was slain.

After the fall of Jagar Tharn, the Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration issued a collecting of witness reports to shed light on the many obscure events that had taken place over the years. I have had the privilege to go through their archives of interviews conducted in Almalexia and select some of them to be published with the Commission's permission. In most cases, the interviewees do apparently suffer from a severe--and may I say convenient--amnesia, recalling only vague bits of the uprising. The three witness reports that I have chosen to publish here, however, give interesting insight on the uprising from three very different points of view. I have taken the liberty of shortening the otherwise lengthy interviews in this popular publication as well as adding my own notes when deemed appropriate.

Jebyn Sobaryn, a rickshaw

Did I take part in the uprising? No, I'm no s'wit. But I saw and knew many who did. I remember this one gang of youngsters particularly well. "We're going to occupy Godsreach"! said one of the youths. They had crude clubs and staves in their hands. One boy donned a kettle for a helmet. "Go right ahead, but count me out," I told them. I pictured what their heads would look like on pikes above the city gates: not a pretty sight. But then again, the way the things finally went was even grittier than the images in my head. I've lived in lower Almalexia all my life. The Imperial taxes don't mean a netchiman's wife's fart to me. I'm practically a beggar, for the gods' sake, how are they going to tax me? And I don't think the taxes meant that much to those youths, either. Sure, the times were tough, but a shrewd guy always gets by, and there's no such thing as an un-shrewd commoner in Almalexia. But you see, there were these... what's the fancy word for it... "aggravators"? Anyway, these folks -- outlanders most of them -- on the streets whispering to the commoners' ears. I worked a rickshaw in the city and heard a lot of their stuff. One time, this really shady-looking gal -- an Imperial, mind you -- sat down on my cart and began to talk: "You know, the bread is so expensive because the Emperor has issued higher a tax on flour. The Queen probably went to the west, because she doesn't care for Morrowind anymore. But where's the common folk going to go, huh? With no money? And that Symmachus, what a lousy excuse for a regent, can't even keep his wife from running away--" I stopped the cart and told the gal to go talk to someone who gives a nchow. Before she went she looked me in the eye and said: "You people should take the power in your own hands. Overthrow the Empire-lovers. Why must Jebyn the Rickshaw suffer from hunger when Jebyn the King could feast in the Royal Palace"? How she knew my name still gives me the creeps. [editor's note: The "outlanders" and the "Imperial gal" the witness refers to were most likely spies and agitators planted by Jagar Tharn, the Arch-Traitor.]

I remember the day Lord General Symmachus talked to the people. They were gathered before the main gates of Mournhold, hundreds of them. Mostly peasants and other riff-raff, but I recognized among them some petty noblemer, too. They were disgruntled by the overwhelming taxes and displeased with the departure of the Queen. The Lord General walked towards them to soothe their anger, and we encircled him with shields to keep the rabble from reaching him. An Imperial taxman had been torn from his carriage and stoned to death in lower Almalexia the previous day, so we had to be careful. Symmachus talked reason but they would not listen. "Barenziah"! some of them cried: "We want Barenziah"! And: "We want justice! We want bread"! "Septim's cuckold"! someone shouted from the crowd. I saw who it was. A young lad he was, younger than me, his face twisted by an unnaturally ugly grin. I had my longspear at the ready and my arms were keen. I could have thrust the adamantine spearhead right through his thick, scornful skull. My blood was up and I would have done it, had Symmachus not stayed my hand. I remember how the Lord General looked at me and said: "Ai. The boy does not threaten me. Do not spill his blood." Suddenly rocks started flying. More and more people came, and more and more rocks flew. Symmachus fell into my arms, unconscious. I realized he had been hit by one of the accursed pebbles. "Sheath your swords, bar the gates, retreat"! I yelled and we carried the Lord General back inside Mournhold. [editor's note: Though this account suggests that Symmachus was grievously wounded by the stones flung at him, the more popular version of his fate claims that he died of an assassin's poison dart at a much later stage of the uprising. True, it would be disenchanting had the celebrated hero of the Empire died of a rock thrown by a peasant before the rebellion had properly begun.]

The last day of the uprising... Yes, I do recall. I was working in the High Chapel that morning. The fighting had finally reached the streets of Mournhold the night before. The air of the Temple Courtyard carried a smoky scent from the pyres that burned in the Bazaar and Godsreach. We were told that Lord Symmachus was coming to seek an audience with Lady Almalexia. "For war-council..." was my first thought "...he will plead with the Mother of Morrowind to end the rebellion." But when they came, not a long after morning's firstlight, I saw the man was more fit to receive his last rites from the goddess rather than to counsel with Her. Symmachus arrived on stretcher carried by only a handful of his household guards, all of them Dunmer. No Imperial soldiers were with them. I did not know it at the time, but they had already abandoned him. [editor's note: There is no evidence in support of this claim. Quite possibly the Imperial Legionnaires were busy with the rebels.] They waited 'til noon, but Lady Almalexia wouldn't summon them. Symmachus' strength was withering away along with the spirit of his guards. He made a feeble, defeated gesture with his hand and the stretcher was lifted and they began to depart. One of the soldiers, the captain of the guard I suppose he was, took a rolled parchment from Symmachus' belt and handed the scroll to a messenger who had accompanied them. He lowered his voice to give the last-minute instructions in secret... but I overheard him. It was a message to all the Great Houses of Morrowind. A clarion call to arms, but not against the revolting peasants. "The Lord General will bring the n'wah Empire to its knees, with or without the goddess. We will give the people the justice they demand. Make haste. Hai Resdaynia"! The words were like an echo from the distant past; I felt shivers of excitement run through my spine. "Hai Resdaynia"! the messenger repeated and hurried out of the temple. Of course, nothing ever came of all this. By dusk Symmachus was dead, and an insurrectionary king sat on his wife's throne. [editor's note: The interview's final part seems to suggest that Symmachus had indeed a plan for overthrowing the false Emperor and/or seceding Morrowind from the Empire altogether, as it has been later speculated. For example, see the unauthorized biography of the Queen: "The Real Barenziah, part 5".]

//edit: Oh, and thanks y'all for commenting. Much appreciated!
Last edited by Rats on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Unless it's a quote of a question or exclamation, the question mark and exclamation point go outside parenthesis. All other punctuations ALWAYS go inside parenthesis.

For example:

Code: Select all

Wrong: "My coat was too long".
Right: "My coat was too long."

Wrong: "My coat was too long?"
Right: "My coat was too long"?
Other than those small changes, I like what you've written. The style of writing is very to-the-point. Your editor didn't seem to be interested in putting his own light on things. If you wanted to do anything else to this work, consider the author's place/view in/on this event. Would he have been biased? Does that bias show in his work?
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Something about this doesn't quite sound right to me, and I think i've worked out what:
I remember this one gang of young Dunmer particularly well
This is like me, an Englishman in England, saying 'I sat next to an English guy on the bus'. Why would I specify that? You make a couple of references to Dunmer and Dark Elves where I think the interviewee wouldn't. It's only a small thing but I think it makes a difference.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

//A new version's up. Corrected the errors that were pointed out and revamped the introduction part.//

witness reports from the archives of the Imperial Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration

A short note from the editor

The decade of Jagar Tharn's false reign known as the Imperial Simulacrum (3E 389-399) was a turbulent time to all the Empire, but it can be argued that the chaos culminated in the easternmost province of Morrowind. During the Simulacrum, Morrowind engaged in a border war against its southern neighbor of Black Marsh, and the holds of Old Ebonheart and Firewatch became locked in a stalemate civil war against each other. The event which preceded and attributed to the ignition of these senseless conflicts was the 3E 391 uprising in Almalexia. During the uprising the streets of the capital citadel of Mournhold were overrun by masses of revolting peasantry and the regent of Morrowind, Lord Symmachus, was slain.

After the fall of Jagar Tharn, the Commission for Post-Simulacrum Restoration issued a collecting of witness reports to shed light on the many obscure events that had taken place over the years. I have had the privilege to go through their archives of interviews conducted in Almalexia and select some of them to be published with the Commission's permission. In most cases, the interviewees do apparently suffer from a severe--and may I say convenient--amnesia, recalling only vague bits of the uprising. The three witness reports that I have chosen to publish here, however, give interesting insight on the uprising from three very different points of view. I have taken the liberty of shortening the otherwise lengthy interviews in this popular publication as well as adding my own notes when deemed appropriate.

Jebyn Sobaryn, a rickshaw

Did I take part in the uprising? B'vek no. But I saw and knew many who did. I remember this one gang of youngsters particularly well. "We're going to occupy Godsreach"! said one of the youths. They had crude clubs and staves in their hands. One boy donned a kettle for a helmet. "Go right ahead, but count me out," I told them. I pictured what their heads would look like on pikes above the city gates: not a pretty sight. But then again, the way the things finally went was even grittier than the images in my head. I've lived in lower Almalexia all my life. The Imperial taxes don't mean a netchiman's wife's fart to me. I'm practically a beggar, for the gods' sake, how are they going to tax me? And I don't think the taxes meant that much to those youths, either. Sure, the times were tough, but a shrewd guy always gets by, and there's no such thing as an un-shrewd commoner in Almalexia. But you see, there were these... what's the fancy word for it... "aggravators"? Anyway, these folks -- outlanders most of them -- on the streets whispering to the commoners' ears. I worked a rickshaw in the city and heard a lot of their stuff. One time, this really shady-looking gal -- an Imperial, mind you -- sat down on my cart and began to talk: "You know, the bread is so expensive because the Emperor has issued higher a tax on flour. The Queen probably went to the west, because she doesn't care for Morrowind anymore. But where's the common folk going to go, huh? With no money? And that Symmachus, what a lousy excuse for a regent, can't even keep his wife from running away--" I stopped the cart and told the gal to go talk to someone who gives a nchow. Before she went she looked me in the eye and said: "You people should take the power in your own hands. Overthrow the Empire-lovers. Why must Jebyn the Rickshaw suffer from hunger when Jebyn the King could feast in the Royal Palace"? How she knew my name still gives me the creeps. [editor's note: The "outlanders" and the "Imperial gal" the witness refers to were most likely spies and agitators planted by Jagar Tharn, the Arch-Traitor.]

I remember the day Lord General Symmachus talked to the people. They were gathered before the main gates of Mournhold, hundreds of them. Mostly peasants and other riff-raff, but I recognized among them some petty noblemer, too. They were disgruntled by the overwhelming taxes and displeased with the departure of the Queen. The Lord General walked towards them to soothe their anger, and we encircled him with shields to keep the rabble from reaching him. An Imperial taxman had been torn from his carriage and stoned to death in lower Almalexia the previous day, so we had to be careful. Symmachus talked reason but they would not listen. "Barenziah"! some of them cried: "We want Barenziah"! And: "We want justice! We want bread"! "Septim's cuckold"! someone shouted from the crowd. I saw who it was. A young lad he was, younger than me, his face twisted by an unnaturally ugly grin. I had my longspear at the ready and my arms were keen. I could have thrust the adamantine spearhead right through his thick, scornful skull. My blood was up and I would have done it, had Symmachus not stayed my hand. I remember how the Lord General looked at me and said: "Ai. The boy does not threaten me. Do not spill his blood." Suddenly rocks started flying. More and more people came, and more and more rocks flew. Symmachus fell into my arms, unconscious. I realized he had been hit by one of the accursed pebbles. "Sheath your swords, bar the gates, retreat"! I yelled and we carried the Lord General back inside Mournhold. [editor's note: Though this account suggests that Symmachus was grievously wounded by the stones flung at him, the more popular version of his fate claims that he died of an assassin's poison dart at a much later stage of the uprising. True, it would be disenchanting had the celebrated hero of the Empire died of a rock thrown by a peasant before the rebellion had properly begun.]

The last day of the uprising... Yes, I do recall. I was working in the High Chapel that morning. The fighting had finally reached the streets of Mournhold the night before. The air of the Temple Courtyard carried a smoky scent from the pyres that burned in the Bazaar and Godsreach. We were told that Lord Symmachus was coming to seek an audience with Lady Almalexia. "For war-council..." was my first thought "...he will plead with the Mother of Morrowind to end the rebellion." But when they came, not long after morning's firstlight, I saw the man was more fit to receive his last rites from the goddess rather than to counsel with Her. Symmachus arrived on a stretcher carried by only a handful of his household guards, all of them Dunmer. No Imperial soldiers were with them. I did not know it at the time, but they had already abandoned him. [editor's note: There is no evidence in support of this claim. Quite possibly the Imperial Legionnaires were busy with the rebels.] They waited 'til noon, but Lady Almalexia wouldn't summon them. Symmachus' strength was withering away along with the spirit of his guards. He made a feeble, defeated gesture with his hand and the stretcher was lifted and they began to depart. One of the soldiers, the captain of the guard I suppose he was, took a rolled parchment from Symmachus' belt and handed the scroll to a messenger who had accompanied them. He lowered his voice to give the last-minute instructions in secret... but I overheard him. It was a message to all the Great Houses of Morrowind. A clarion call to arms, but not against the revolting peasants. "The Lord General will bring the n'wah Empire to its knees, with or without the goddess. We will give the people the justice they demand. Make haste. Hai Resdaynia"! The words were like an echo from the distant past; I felt shivers of excitement run through my spine. "Hai Resdaynia"! the messenger repeated and hurried out of the temple. Of course, nothing ever came of all this. By dusk Symmachus was dead, and an insurrectionary king sat on his wife's throne. [editor's note: The interview's final part seems to suggest that Symmachus had indeed a plan for overthrowing the false Emperor and/or seceding Morrowind from the Empire altogether, as it has been later speculated. For example, see the unauthorized biography of the Queen: "The Real Barenziah, part 5".]
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I love this. :D
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Any more big plans with this from your end, Rats?

I'd like to suggest some remedies for a couple of rough edges here and there, but otherwise this strikes me as good. I will update this post later today.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

I have no big changes planned. Other than the few rough edges I'm pretty happy with this. If you have the remedies please do suggest! : )
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Don't suppose you could get on IRC sometime? Makes these things quite a bit easier.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

First post now contains an edited version which gets Rats' approval. Good to go as far as I am concerned. Great work, Rats.