Melchior's Model Manufactory

Place where approved concepts are developed into in-game assets. (Models & Textures)

Moderator: Lead Developers

Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Melchior's Model Manufactory

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I'd like to help out with making some of the models which are still needed for TR (no idea what is needed since I can't find a list anywhere). I can work with concept art or conceptual ideas.

I had no idea what to tag this as since I'm not limiting myself to just one category - I put miscellaneous items for now. Characters and creatures are not likely to come from me unless they are tweaks rather than modeling from scratch. But don't hesitate to ask for anything, I'll tell you if it's beyond my skill level.

I'll try and be good about updating this post with all the attachments so that future observers won't have to search through the thread (depending on how much actually ends up being requested).

Anyways, if anything is wanted, ask away!
Attachments
tr_ex_ind_almstatue_04.NIF
First model done for Why: motherly Almalexia cradling an egg-child
(123.11 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Perhaps you could take a look at some of [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23619]Ashstaar's models[/url] and review/prepare them for inclusion in data? I believe he's said that other people are free to improve some of them.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Yeti wrote:Perhaps you could take a look at some of [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23619]Ashstaar's models[/url] and review/prepare them for inclusion in data? I believe he's said that other people are free to improve some of them.
I do love all of his stuff, are there some of his which could be improved upon? I have them all downloaded, but I haven't looked too closely at them yet. Most seem naturally functional though, like the clothing retextures.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I just fixed the previous statue (which after thinking about it, wasn't ready for use).

Now the statue has the proper scale (close to the statues of Vivec), orientation, and collision.
Attachments
tr_ex_ind_almstatue_04.NIF
Fixed Almalexia statue
(123.11 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I have created a modeling claim for you to post the file in claim format here (I've already assigned the claim to you):

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=313630#313630

In the future, it's better to wait for claims to be created when there is an official or specific model or model set requested. It's easier to keep track of progress and contributions that way. It also helps avoid the situation I mentioned in your Showcase thread :-)

Here is an available modeling claim for statues if you want to continue your statue work:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19627
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I suppose that I am just coming to the game late, so most things have already been made. Regardless, let me take a look at that statue claim. I can probably do something with it.

If there's no further use for this thread then, we can ignore it/close it. I don't want to step on any toes.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Looks good! (As far as npc's converted to statues go, since it has some limitations)

The texture of the egg could be a stone texture, maybe even a custom one with some art patterns on it. Now it looks a bit weird having a living Kwama egg in her hands.

Also there is still no collision mesh.

And the last thing I want to add is that the skirt can't be made out of stone. It is far to thin and looks a bit unrealistic, maybe it needs some extra vertices to make it thicker or even some other form of clothing.

So far it looks good.
--Mwgek--
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Melchior Dahrk wrote:I suppose that I am just coming to the game late, so most things have already been made.
Oh, don't worry. There are still plenty of models to make, if we have the modelers for it ;-)

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Haplo wrote:
Melchior Dahrk wrote:I suppose that I am just coming to the game late, so most things have already been made.
Oh, don't worry. There are still plenty of models to make, if we have the modelers for it ;-)
Good!

In regards to discussion about new models, I bring this conversation to the attention of others here:

Aeven, on 16 May 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:
Almalexia, city of light

Melchior Dahrk, on 16 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:
City of flooded gateways?

Greendogo, on 17 May 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:
Not that those doors aren't beautiful, but I think it would decrease confusion and increase awesomeness if the doors used for the city's waterways had a different pattern (model) and a slightly different texture. Even adding a waterline to show the bottom half of the door to be either weathered or corroded would be nice.

Melchior Dahrk, on 17 May 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:
I wish I had my BSA right now, I could mock up something. Hey, wait, I'm a modeler for TR. Somebody want to make a claim for the Mournhold waterway gates?
Would something like this be desirable?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

In theory it sounds like a great idea, but in practice it might be difficult to actually use, or rather, it would only be useful in a very limited circumstance. That circumstance being, when the gate has been in place for a long time, and is underwater, and is underwater at the same exact height level as all the rest. If you wanted to make another type of gate that fits the same dimensions but is maybe a grate or see-through gate for water, that might be useful here as well as in other circumstances. I also imagine it would be more believable; solid gates that open outward/inward against such massive water pressure isn't the most believable concept, whereas grates that water can pass through is much more believable.

Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

The difficulty of overcoming those pressures was what initially made me comment about Aeven's picture.

So what I had in mind was also some sort of grate - which would fit that same space. I may be able to mock something up quickly if there is interest.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

To be fair, it would look like a beautiful grate if it used the same gate pattern even.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Might be worth checking out whether a cunningly placed In_Lava_Blacksquare couldn't handle the job of making those doors look like grates, first.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

It would work very well, but what would work better would be to use a clone of door_load_darkness00 (which uses the same mesh) and a clone of the gates and label them both grate. That'd work great.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Aren't those black squares... black? I'm a little confused because the point of a grate is that it is see-through and not solid.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Making these doors see-through would require making all the structures that they are pressed up against also be entirely solid, rather than having regular 'caspering' opposite sides. Probably more trouble than its worth. All 'grates' in vanilla are just straight black solid objects (see: Vivec).
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
wollibeebee
Developer

Post by wollibeebee »

I don't understand the black model idea. Unless I skipped a post and we're not talking about the gate anymore. Because then you'd have weird Oblivion gates.

How about a portcullis split down the middle:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JuzGUjuQS-8/TIDnafnhRHI/AAAAAAAAASE/JJeD63vMi-0/s1600/800px-Cahir_Castle_Portcullis_by_Kevin_King.jpg

in which the green section of the vanilla doors:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/556 ... %20005.png
is removed, leaving only the copper-painted frame.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

I haven't made the gates yet. But the point with the black part of the mesh is that there is nothing behind those gates. If we don't use a black mesh behind the grate, then we're going to be seeing the insides of the city which we aren't supposed to see, kapeesh? I think that's called caspering here, no?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

It doesn't really matter since we can just put a blacksquare door behind whatever grate you make and link that to the interior, too. A grate without a blacksquare could be used in other places too, and it's really no trouble at all using an additional blacksquare just in this location.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

To confirm, I just tried it out in the CS and 2 Lava_Blacksquare placed vertically does indeed transform these doors into a very nice grate. So that would save some work on the modelling front.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

But it doesn't create depth. With a grate you can let the water run for a while and blacksquare it further along the canal.
--Mwgek--
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Are the gates/grates in that screenshot not leading into Almalexia? Or are they leading into Mournhold? If they are leading into Almalexia, then the point is so you can see through them...

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

They're used because some of the bridge/wall meshes which Nemon used to create the big ramps and platforms in Almalexia have door-shaped holes in them which need filling. If you could see through those doors, what you would see is the (invisible, caspering) underside of the bridge/wall mesh they are filling.

(That screenshot also shows a regular vanilla water grate with water pouring out which is just a black void for the same reason.)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

The idea is that they lead to tunnels through which the water flows from one side of the cultural ramp/district/thing and political ramp/district/thing to the other. I'd very much like to have a small group of outcasts, escaped slaves and foreign paupers, the sort of folk the Indoril have no generosity for, living in these. In my mind these doors or whatever their replacement ends up being lead to a Vivec-Underworks-like interior, obviously in Indoril style though.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Clearly I need to hurry up and whip something up so that people can discuss and criticize that as opposed to esoteric ideas, lol. I'll see if I have time this evening. Busy, busy right now.
wollibeebee
Developer

Post by wollibeebee »

I thought this was just a channel with a door in the way. So if you could see through it you would actually still be seeing the exterior. Guess I was wrong.

Using the black lava mesh sounds like a bad idea, I would rather just see solid doors tham a cheap illusion. Like MWgek says, there would be no depth.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I have no problem with solid doors or with them staying as they are now. On the other hand I do like the original suggestion of giving them some different textures to differentiate them from regular doors. A waterline and a more weathered look like Greendogo suggested would be neat.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

This is what I envisioned (note the discolored lower half). Let me know what you all think.
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 046.png
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
MGE Screenshot 041.png
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
gate_nifskope.png
(360.36 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

That is excactly what I had in mind! Good use of depth with the black square. Now Why can use it as an activator and it can be used as an entrance to a sewer area.
--Mwgek--
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Please add this to tr_data, this is gold.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Glad that you guys like it! I also had fun flooding the Great Bazaar to test this, lol.

If Haplo wants to do this the right way and create a claim then I'll claim it, upload it and finish it.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Melchior Dahrk wrote:Glad that you guys like it! I also had fun flooding the Great Bazaar to test this, lol.
Yeah, that was uncalled for. Do you have any idea how much damage that water did to the lower parts of Almalexia? Seriously guise... I now have to start Almalexia revision IV.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Nemon wrote:
Melchior Dahrk wrote:Glad that you guys like it! I also had fun flooding the Great Bazaar to test this, lol.
Yeah, that was uncalled for. Do you have any idea how much damage that water did to the lower parts of Almalexia? Seriously guise... I now have to start Almalexia revision IV.
It's OK; the new grate gates I installed will help drain the area quickly. Any water damage was necessary for the advancement of Dunmeri culture.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Wow! I was a bit skeptical at first but this end result is shockingly beautiful!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Look's great Melchior. Or should I say, it look's... grate :lol:

Bad puns aside, you should post these screens on the official thread. Just to show people we at TR take feedback into consideration.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yup, this is nice!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Yes, we are grateful.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

One thing I noticed the second time I clicked the link is that the green vertex paint is a bit high? I'm not sure about the rising water-level at Almalexia, but maybe you can erase it a little bit? Maybe it's just the position of the screen that give it a green look.
--Mwgek--
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Yeti wrote:Look's great Melchior. Or should I say, it look's... grate :lol:

Bad puns aside, you should post these screens on the official thread. Just to show people we at TR take feedback into consideration.
I'll do that ;)
And I'm glad everyone else likes how it turned out too!

Mwgek wrote:One thing I noticed the second time I clicked the link is that the green vertex paint is a bit high? I'm not sure about the rising water-level at Almalexia, but maybe you can erase it a little bit? Maybe it's just the position of the screen that give it a green look.
Actually, my water was just comparatively low to what is used in Almalexia.

Take a look at these two screens:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=21295

See how there are 5 rungs above the water in mine and only 3 in Aeven's? That means, with my vertex shading, there will only be approximately one rung worth of shading above the water. Which I think is [url=http://www.coastlineconsulting-ct.com/images/bs2.gif]appropriate for such discoloration[/url] - we certainly wouldn't want it to be BELOW the water line.
Melchior Dahrk
Developer

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

Can I get the Heartland WIP which includes the current Almalexia anywhere? For taking a screen in? Mine isn't very representative.