The Peryiton

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

The Peryiton

Post by Adanorcil »

I just dug up this onset of a text I wrote some years ago. The inspiration was provided by a story by Albides/al Bede, in which he elegantly replaced the colorless gentrified ren fair Bretons with Victorian occultists.

The idea was to write a western Tamrielic description of Daedra in the style of renaissance demonologies such [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesser_Key_of_Solomon]The Lesser Key of Solomon[/url]. Similarities in phrasing and structure are many and transparent, because I figured there's only so much that can be done to obscure the source without loosing the characteristics that make it cool. Generally, demonologies all have to do with what sort of skills or knowledge the various demons can teach the sorcerer.

The idea behind the name Peryiton was a) that Peryite has absolutely nothing to him yet and b) since one of his spheres is described as "order", I figured he could be the one in charge of protocol and ceremony at the various Daedric courts. He makes sure no one acts above their station (both on the Daedric and mortal side) and deals out punishment to those who do so anyway. Since he decides on the legitimacy of a summoning, sorcerers hold him in high esteem.

The text is far from finished (I planned to have each Prince with a number of underlings), so for now it's largely notes. I doubt it could really find a use in TR except maybe as some rare outlander book, but I figured I'd post it here in case it might give someone ideas or something. I may finish this sometime.

---------------------------------------------------

(opening disclaimer/charm)

To PERYITE, the Master of Ranks and Lord of Charges and Steward of Misrule, pray, for it is he who guides the transaction, he who brokers the contract. It is he who shall punish any, sorcerer or spirit, who should reach above their rightful station or dishonor covenant in actions or thought. Miasma be the wretch's part.

The PERYITON, which contains the names, orders and offices of the Hosts of Misrule, their various knowledges, and the charms by which to bind them into visible aspect.

(in no particular order so far...)

The Prince CLAVICUS or CLAVICENE or KALVIK or VILICANT is the crowned demon of the western void and appears as a youth. Alone among the monarchy of Oblivion, he can be called upon by the unpracticed, which the wise must take as ample proof of his shrewdness. He can make men wealthy, powerful or beautiful and it is within his power to teach all skills, arts and sciences of the mortal world. The brash sorcerer may court his attention with votive offerings, though the Prince and his subjects generally distrust gifts, for above all else they loathe indebtedness.

BARBAS or BARBATIS or BARKAS is a seneschal of the western void. He appears as a great hound, but will take many shapes if so commanded and will speak truth, but incompletely. He teaches rhetoric, wit, and judgment of mortal nature, but will always try to break his bonds by deceit.

(Something about how the Bitter Cup is a Daedra.)

The Prince HERMAEUS MORA or HERMA or HERMUZ or MORA or MORAEIS is the crowned demon of the northern void. He appears in many shifting forms, but will choose one if ordered by the worthy. Speaking in a soothing voice, he teaches all secrets aetherial, lunar, or mundane, often asking another secret in return. He can be convinced to answer truthfully concerning all past or future matters.

XARXES or SARSIS or ZARCASTES is a chamberlain of the northern void and appears as an old man or scribe. Favoring sorcerers of elvish stock, he teaches philosophy and history and reveals the conjurer's lineage from dawntide to the present.

OGHMA or OGMAHA or OGAMA or OGO is a marchioness of the northern void. She appears as a beautiful woman, a book, or both. She can make the conjurer learned in all mundane arts and sciences and the lesser magics.

The Prince BOETHIAH or BOETHIA or BOTHIAS or BOHATIAH is the crowned demon of the eastern void and appears as a fearsome warrior. He is an insidious and dangerous Prince and may trick the credulous sorcerer into leaving the [protective circle] at great personal risk. Speaking in a hoarse voice, he can make the conjurer beloved or feared among friends and foes, or overthrow rivals and superiors. It is within his power to make one cunning and skilled in the deception and manipulation of mortals.

(Ebony mail and Goldbrand are both boring to portray as Daedra. Better ideas needed.)

The Prince NOCTURNAL or NOCTAS or NOCTURA..
(cloaked woman, can only be summoned at night, reveals the location of all things hidden or lost)

(two subject daedra, both of which appear as monstrous black birds. Possible reference to Huginn and Muninn?)

The prince HIRCINE or CERNINE or HERCINNOS or HERNE
(blood-thirsty beast-spirit with little interest in city-folk; appears as a frenzied bear or wolf or stag or antlered wildman. His subject are frenzied and liable to escape; they will often ignore magic circles, but can be contained with open flame.)

The Prince MALACATH or MALAK or MOLCATH or MOLAUCH...
(appears as a grotesque Orc. Will be extremely angered when consulted on matters he deems unworthy, but when the sorcerer has been severely wronged, he will enable vengeance under all circumstances, as long as the summoner swears an oath breakable only by death. Involve Trinimac somehow? Also grants command over ogres and similar monsters.

(Scourge is a Daedra who has been summoned repeatedly to assist in taming otherwise uncontrollable Daedra.)

The Prince MEHRUNES or DAGON or MERUDAG or MERDAGES...
(Nothing yet. General of Misrule? Something with armies? Grants power of masses and can cause the violent demise of enemies?)

The Prince MEPHALA or MARFALA or MAPHAT...
(appears as a woman, man, spider or all at once. What does she teach?)

The Prince MERIDIA or MIRDIS or MERDINE...
(is offended if summoned at night? What does she teach? Something to do with illumination... ?)

The Prince MOLAG BAL or MOLGA or MOLAGHA...
(appears as a monster... makes the sorcerer skilled at the corruption and self-inflicted destruction of fellow mortals, but will also try to accomplish the same effect on the sorcerer. Note: don't make all teachings uniformly negative. Is sovereign of a great host of monsters, which he will lend to the summoner in return for his loyalty. Easily gives out familiars.)

The Prince NAMIRA or NIMIRA or NIMARR or NAMIN...
(can create disgust and make enemies and rivals disliked, spurned or hated. Can reveal secrets of a shameful or taboo nature.)

The Prince SANGUINE or SANGINIS or SAGUNAR...
(appears as a drunkard or a devil or an unclothed man or woman... Teaches suaveness and can make mortals rich and well-liked, but can also make enemies foolish and self-destructive.)

The Prince SHEOGORATH or SHEOGOG or SEGGOZAR or SHEGGAR or SHEROGOL... (I feel a lot of names fit here.)
(Appears as a gentleman or something totally weird yet to be decided on, or doesn't appear visibly at all, in which case you're in trouble. Erratic and dangerous prince, hard to get a hold of, but even harder to strike a deal with. Will sometimes speak in tongues. Can cause madness or indecision and makes mortals change their minds on previous decisions.)

(Haskill is his second-in-command, who is a lot more popular being on the whole a lot more easy to work with, even though his powers are significantly more limited. Negotations with Sheogorath often go through him. Needs something seriously weird/disturbing still.)

The Prince VAERNIMA or VAERMINA or VERNIMA or VERINAM...
(appears as a crone. Teaches the interpreting of dreams and omens and can make mortals feared.)
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: The Peryiton

Post by Gez »

Adanorcil wrote:The idea behind the name Peryiton was a) that Peryite has absolutely nothing to him yet and b) since one of his spheres is described as "order", I figured he could be the one in charge of protocol and ceremony at the various Daedric courts.
So it's not a pun?

Mention of the consecrated Summoning Days (as seen in Daggerfall) would make sense here. Some have even specific names, like Hogithum for Azura, or Chil'a for Molag Bal.

For the alternative names, why not use those that already are found elsewhere? (Or even, found Elsweyr since it's the Khajiit who are behind most of these variants: Azurah, Herma-Mora, Hermorah, Mafala, Merrunz, Namiira, Sangiin, Sheggorath, etc.)

One of Malacath's names should be Trinimalacath. Could be fun to take inspiration from some medieval depictions of the Devil and have Trinimac be literally his arse. Like he's got eyes on his buttocks and can speak with his anus.

Could be interesting of having among the aliases of Sheogorath something like "Sheogor, Shegor, Sheor, Shor"... Or "Sheggorath, Sheggarath, Shezzarath, Shezzar".

I'm not fond of calling Hircine Herne, first because it's the name of a type of lesser daedra from Battlespire, and secondly because [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herne_the_Hunter]of this guy[/url].

I'd suggest MIRIDIS rather than MIRDIS for Meridia. I don't like MERDINE, by the way. Sounds kinda bad to my ears. Maybe MERINIDIA.
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

Gez wrote: [...] and secondly because [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herne_the_Hunter]of this guy[/url].
How is that not the reason to call him Herne? I mean, look at that guy and tell me that's not Hircine.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

roerich wrote:[...]How is that not the reason to call him Herne? I mean, look at that guy and tell me that's not Hircine.
Kind of how one wouldn't want to call Mehrunes Dagon "Satan", or Lorkhan "Loki", or Herma-Mora "Nyarlathotep".
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

Oh well I get your point, but those are all a bit more well known, and also not as linguistically close (with the exception of Lorkhan/Loki). I thought I had seen Hircine referenced as Herne before, but anyways I didn't know of Herne before you posted that link tbh. Might be because I'm not British.

Also, I'd also say adding some local interpretations of the Daedra (like the Khajiit and the Nords: Mauloch and Herma-Mora), would possibly yield some results.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Can I just say that I'm British and had never heard of Herne the Hunter.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I have. Maybe it's a southern thing? IDK where you're from.

@Adanorcil: I like what you have so far. Do you really need to add any more? Just make what you have an excerpt from a longer text.

Boethiah's hoarse voice could be his seneschal.
Test
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Gez wrote:So it's not a pun?
No, but I don't mind if it recalls that particular author.

For the alternative names, why not use those that already are found elsewhere? (Or even, found Elsweyr since it's the Khajiit who are behind most of these variants: Azurah, Herma-Mora, Hermorah, Mafala, Merrunz, Namiira, Sangiin, Sheggorath, etc.)
Because I wanted this to be a Bretony document displaying an old and heterogenous tradition, rather than a cosmopolitan, cross-Tamriel overview of Daedra Lords.

One of Malacath's names should be Trinimalacath.
Noted.
Could be fun to take inspiration from some medieval depictions of the Devil and have Trinimac be literally his arse. Like he's got eyes on his buttocks and can speak with his anus.
Noted twice.
Could be interesting of having among the aliases of Sheogorath something like "Sheogor, Shegor, Sheor, Shor"... Or "Sheggorath, Sheggarath, Shezzarath, Shezzar".
Considered this too, but I decided against it, since I feared it would detract too much from the text and make it seem like some big hidden lore thing.
I'm not fond of calling Hircine Herne, first because it's the name of a type of lesser daedra from Battlespire, and secondly because [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herne_the_Hunter]of this guy[/url].
I'd included it specifically because of that guy. What roerich said. Real-word references are not a bad thing.

The lesser Daedra is not really a problem in my opinion. They share symbolism with the Daedra Prince and, besides, there's Daedra simply called "Daedroth" too.
@Adanorcil: I like what you have so far. Do you really need to add any more? Just make what you have an excerpt from a longer text.
Also an option.
Boethiah's hoarse voice could be his seneschal.
Because of course there's a little demon in his mouth.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Adanorcil wrote:Real-word references are not a bad thing.
Then you might consider some variant of Shaytan for Sheogorath, especially because "The primary characteristic of the Devil, besides hubris, is that he has no power other than the power to cast evil suggestions into the chests of men, women, and jinn". Just replace "jinn" with "other Daedra" and you're fine. Also: "In Islamic theology, Shaytan and his minions are "whisperers," who whisper into the chests of men and women, urging them to commit sin. This is where the desire to sin comes from, according to Islam."
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Incidentally, [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/content/daedra]Herne[/url] is already in the game, so it's a little late to worry about real-world references. Given the Daedra's similarity in appearance to Hircine, however, and its association with hunting, mixing up Hircine with (his?) lesser Daedra isn't too far-fetched.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

BITTER CUP or BITTERCUP or NARXISSA is a governess of the western void. She appears as a maid with crow's feet and flowers on her hair or as brazen chalice. In her chalice form she will appear and vanish from mortal to mortal, leaving little coppery sips of nectar behind for them to drink. Depending on the Summoning Day the liquid in the chalice will be either sweet or bitter or both. She teaches the conjurer how to excel in the disciplines most well-known and how to forget the lesser-known.

also, BookArt:

[img]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/peryiton_zpsd605ded0.png[/img]