Oh hey guys

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Arthmodeus
Developer

Oh hey guys

Post by Arthmodeus »

Hey guys! It's been years, but after going through half a decade of school, work, unemployment, more work, and the usual hardships of young adulthood, I finally bought myself a decent laptop.

To those who may not be familiar, I was a member from back in '03-'07. I'm really into cartography - you guys have seen my Tamriel map maybe:

http://elderlore.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/map_arthmodeus.jpg
(it's aight, I really wanna redo it)

I now study it as a profession, and I've moved onto ArcGIS to make maps on (mostly just correlating spacial data, nothing visually impressive or anything).

I promised Massey and Thrignar when they visited, that I'd come back on board when I got a computer; so here I am, what'd I miss?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Re: Oh hey guys

Post by Nemon »

Arthmodeus wrote:(...) so here I am, what'd I miss?
A couple of alphas, Sacred East, forum reskin as you probably noticed and some new titles. Welcome back and hi!
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Bero
Reviewer

Post by Bero »

Hello, we could really use accurate map of Morrowind in my honest opinion. I don't think we even have a map with all important cities but I might be wrong.
Completed Morrowind Interiors: 47
The trice sealed house withstands the storm.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Hey Nemon, glad to see a lot of the vets are still around! I'm liking the sexy new forum skin, too.
That's cool, I was actually considering doing a shapefile for Morrowind in ArcGIS. Very, very tedious work, but I think the end product would be beautiful. What level of accuracy are we talking? Like, individual buildings?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Something that's on my list of things I really want is an actual useful in game map of Mournhold-Almalexia to the street level, highlighting the different neighborhoods and important areas and buildings. I'm not sure if that's something that can be done, but having a guide and maps like that would really help the player find their way.

Having said that, that's probably better done once the city is completed, things are still a bit in flux at the moment.

Also hi! I don't think we've met, but it's very cool to see people from way long ago returning!
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Oh, that's totally within my skill level. I remember doing something like that for claims a long time ago. The beauty of ArcGIS is that it uses vector data, so you can work on a large scale map and still be able to keep track down to a single building. I just gotta get it on this machine and we'll be golden. Nice meeting you, Why. What kinds of things are you in charge of?
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Hey Arth, I remember you! We need maps. Sload and I are working on a Master Plan vector map of the province with layers for all sorts of things for planning purposes. Settlements, roads, and right now I'm working on a contour map for Morrowind's heightmap so we can plan regions. Your input might be helpful. We're in the midst of rolling out a new system of planning, and mapping will be even more improtant now than it has ever been. Feel free to hop on IRC if you need to catch up! Alot has happened, I'll give you a little debrief of the important things.

==========================================================

-Around 2007, we decided to redo Necrom and split Map 2 into half. Around that time we decided to change our releases from Map 1-6 to the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22200]current system[/url] of eight releases. We're no logner releasing maps seperately, but all releases are in one TR_Mainland file. The rest of the maps are probably being split up even further than the 8-releases, to ensure better workflow, and dividing maps logically parcelled sections for planning.

-Northern Half of Map 2 gets released as "Antideluivan Secrets" in '08. While Necrom and the southern half gets merged with the northeastrn parts of Map 3 as "Sacred East" (which wasn't to be released until 2012!).

-In 2009, we cancelled Hammerfell for Oblivion which forked off into its' own project under Lady N. Around this time, Necrom's exterior was finally redone.

-2010-2011 were lull years for TR, alot of people came and left and at a time only a few people were working on the project. Decision was made to redo Almalexia. Release of TESV made it worse. We decided to redo Maps 4 and 5 from scratch. Old Ebonheart was also redone.

-2012 was when things started picking up. We finally released Sacred East, after Necrom was NPCed and several areas of Maps 2/3 were redone/detailed. Lots of new folks came in. More map 5 claims were finished. Alot of the Map 3 stuff was redone around this time. Alot of towns were deleted, renamed, moved around, so your old map might not match with what we have now :P

-2013 was also a relatively good year, and we did alot. Finished Alma's exterior. Towards the end of the year we decided to change TR and how it was run after so many years. WE got rid of the core about last month and resturcutred (you can read up on the details [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24286]here[/url]), so a bunch of titles changed, and new section forums popped up. We got a [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org]brand new spanking website[/url] which is sitll a WIP. We're now doing serious planning bvefore we do work on the CS. Even more Map 5 stuff was done.

-2014, we made the site live, and released an alpha of a reworked Map Map 4 (Heartland) and the southern part of Map 5 (Veloth). Which brings us to where we are right now.

As it stands today, we're concentrating on releasing the Thirr River Valley (which is basically the rest of map 3 and the eastern part of Map 4), almost all the interiors are done for this area, and we are now planning things before moving on to NPCing. The city of Almalexia is sitll in progress with a few interiors needing to be made, before we undertake the gargantuan task of finally NPCing this place. It won't be released soon.

Hope to see you around! :)
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Arthmodeus wrote:Nice meeting you, Why. What kinds of things are you in charge of?
I used to be Head of Quests for a while, then Stories. Nowadays I mostly try to contribute to faction and story planning.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Awesome. Yeah, as you can see, I'm pretty much only going to be active on the weekends, interior claims here and there. And maps. Kudos to you, though. Quests are a pain in the ass haha.