What's up?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

What's up?

Post by Why »

Hi everyone, just me dropping by to say hi. University business has subsided somewhat, though it might pick up again soon, I don't know.

My main question here is, what's the current state of affairs? I don't quite have the time to go digging through two months of posts I missed. My main concern is Almalexia (if that still is our next projected release), if it's still on hold, and what's keeping it on hold. Is it the lack of a comprehensive plan? Is it the lack of a proper Indoril master plan? Is it disagreements over its architecture? Disagreements over Mournhold integration? Its layout? Is it the general sensitivity of the subject resulting in nobody wanting to discuss it? (Please don't say it's *all* of those things.) I'd like to help it move along, if possible. So tell me what I can do and what I need to know to do it.

Also, how has everyone been? I've missed you guys. :3
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Nice to see you, Why.

From my perspective, everything around here seems to be in limbo. Work on the section groups has slowed to a standstill and there doesn't seem to be many Lead Developers around to jump start work on them. Almalexia has been, for all practical purposes, dropped for the moment, and our general focus is on the Thirr River Valley. Interiors continue to be claimed and finished, but that's about it in terms of large-scale progress.

The main cause of this state of affairs is the difficulty of synthesizing ideas posted in the planning threads into plans that can be acted upon. We seem to lack an effective system for making final decisions. Threads are allowed to collect dust without a final consensus being formed.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

As Yeti said, Almalexia appears to have been dropped for the moment. Unless I missed something no consensus was ever reached on what to do with it or when to do it. Discussion simply stopped. I don't think the Skype meeting in which Almalexia was to be discussed ever took place.

I've been considering making a thread devoted to discussing the ideal Almalexia as opposed to the city as it will appear in-game; in other words how people personally imagine Almalexia to be and what they'd want from it while completely ignoring the actual implementation side of things.
But on the one hand I'm not sure if such a thread would take off, and if it were to I'd be worried that the thread would be derailed into discussing implementation, as similar brainstorming threads have in the past. And in general I'm not sure if it would do any good.

I do agree with Yeti as to the main cause of this state of affairs. The disadvantages of forums as a format of discussion are clear, I think, but IRC and Skype have their own problems in that they generally require that everyone who wants to take part in a discussion be present at the same time.
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

I wish I knew what the problem was with Almalexia but there is not much communication with the grunts.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

cookie, the only discussions that aren't directly accessible to anyone go on in the Internal forum (which you're in) or rarely on IRC (which you're not logged onto). [edit: there IS also Skype, but it hasn't happened in a long while and the next one will be available to all modders] Trust me, there's no communication going on at all anywhere on the subject of Almalexia - both the workforce and drive to work on it are simply gone for now

Also hey Why :>
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

There's also [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24358]this public thread[/url] where the issue was discussed to a standstill.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]