Quests & Faction Structure

Brainstorming, discussing, and drafting of the Master Plan happens here.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Quests & Faction Structure

Post by Sload »

read this i wrote it

incomplete
Attachments
Quests & Faction Structure.pdf
(64.35 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Most of this isn't new to me, so I'll mostly be reiterating things I said previously (probably on IRC):

I think the division of quest types is a good way to go about things. I do think we should leave room for exceptions to those rules, for example a limited faction conflict in a Type B major faction questline, but that any such exceptions should be made very consciously, if at all. I understand the primary utility of those guidelines to be establishing the storytelling focus of the various faction questlines, not arbitrarily limiting how those stories are told.

Just to clarify, would being a member of the Imperial Legion now prohibit the player from joining a House? I'm not too sure if I like that, though I can understand why that would be the case.

Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I do consider it somewhat of a missed opportunity that the Tribunal Temple is a minor faction instead of something more like a Type A major faction, especially considering that the infrastructure is there for it to be a major faction, but I understand the reasoning behind the decision. And can think of a workaround.
At worst, it will be a natural feature for people to mod in.

As for the Redoran, I am surprised that the acquisition of Uld Vraech is supposed to have taken place so recently, less than 40 years before Morrowind begins. That rather alters my impression of Strond/Ystarrond as an ancient hold-out, (which it still sort of is), as well as my general impression of Redoran presence in Uld Vraech. I do sort of like it, though, and having to adjust ones impression of a region is sort of to be expected of pre-sectional-planning areas.
There are two points about it I'd like to discuss, but this isn't really the thread for it, and either way House Redoran isn't a priority right now.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Not sure why the descriptive abstract structure for what always will end up being case-by-case choices... ("less than 5 quests" really? :p)

But going to very much disagree about the Legion being a major faction on the level of the Great Houses. We're not even sure about wanting to develop a joinable Legion in the foreseeable future, that's how far removed from current desires this is. (though if you can make a convincing story *and questline* for it...) Certainly makes sense for it to conflict with Houses.

The Cult and Temple would deserve their own category if they're explored at all. Regardless of how it's classified Necrom definitely needs to be the second half of a major questline, not a minor one.

Guilds quests don't 'require' a plot element, and a sizeable portion of them should be freelance and not part of a greater plot, but that's not to say a larger story element isn't wanted there at all, and I'll scoff about any path to 'headmaster of the Guild' that doesn't involve a carefully plotted questline.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Having the Imperial Legion serve as the faction the player joins if they want to side overtly with the Empire could work.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

That could work if the higher tiers of the legion had more to do with beauraucracy, politics, governance and diplomacy, rather than law enforcement

Or maybe there could be multiple ways to become an official of the occupying force. One could start the conflicting political imperial line once he would reach a certain rank in the legion, cult, or maybe as a clerk, merchant or scholar in some other recoginzed Imperial faction.

All those factions could be minor and only qualify player for a conflicting role in the Imperial political establishment. There may be a new special faction, but it is not necessary.
THEO
Tiber's Stone

Post by Tiber's Stone »

Personal opinion is that the Temple and Cult should be mutually exclusive (can't join both).

The PC should only be able to join one of the five Houses (obviously). However, the Legion should be joinable in addition to one of the Houses. Whether or not it's in character to do so should be left up to each player's role playing styles.

There are also all sorts of in-game reasons why Houses (especialy Hlaalu and Redoran) would like to have their own members in the Legion, and why the Legion would like to have them (happy to elaborate if anyone wants). If you're playing Dres, Televanni, or Indoril then most people would probably not join the legion anyway, and that would probably make sense in-game. But it should be up to each player. Part of the beauty of ES games is player choice, and providing the option to join both a House and the Legion is one that players can make on their own.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I don't think we should make things exclusive that were not so in vanilla. One of the few remaining characteristics that distinguish Morrowind from the 3D video RPGs that came before and after is the freedom of choice; let's not do away with it. The Temple is already allowing outlanders to join; why not Imperial Cultists as well? They are probably regarding the IC as a political organization more than a heretical cult; they might think the player could influence the Empire for them in his double role. (Quest hook!)
Tiber's Stone

Post by Tiber's Stone »

arvisrend wrote:I don't think we should make things exclusive that were not so in vanilla. One of the few remaining characteristics that distinguish Morrowind from the 3D video RPGs that came before and after is the freedom of choice; let's not do away with it. The Temple is already allowing outlanders to join; why not Imperial Cultists as well? They are probably regarding the IC as a political organization more than a heretical cult; they might think the player could influence the Empire for them in his double role. (Quest hook!)
Fair enough. It's the same argument for not blocking the PC from joining both a House and the Legion. The main reason I think neither (some of) the Houses or the Legion would mind people in both factions is the influence thing. Especially between Hlaalu and Empire if the "Hlaalu secret" idea is pursued.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

arvisrend wrote:I don't think we should make things exclusive that were not so in vanilla. One of the few remaining characteristics that distinguish Morrowind from the 3D video RPGs that came before and after is the freedom of choice; let's not do away with it. The Temple is already allowing outlanders to join; why not Imperial Cultists as well? They are probably regarding the IC as a political organization more than a heretical cult; they might think the player could influence the Empire for them in his double role. (Quest hook!)
I disagree; there should be a clear limit on the player's ability to complete both questlines, which should be much more explicitly religious and involve the taking of certain vows. Advancing to a certain point in one should expel the player from the other.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
abot
TR Tester

Post by abot »

Seconded. Freedom to the player
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

Unless you decide to retroactively make the Vvardenfell branches exclusive (which I wouldn't recommend), I'd prefer having the option to join both the Temple and the Cult, for consistency's sake if nothing else.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Freedom of choice doesn't mean enabling munchkins. Vanilla is all inconsequential, since you're mostly a freelance hired sword - in the Cult/Temple-flavoured questlines basically nothing besides the rank titles suggests a religious involvement; the legion quests are AFAIK just a fighter's guild questline where NPCs refuse to talk to you when you're not wearing imperial armour and is even more stupid than it sounds.
Whenif TR does those questlines justice you should get the freedom to choose - join one house, join one public cult, or try both and renounce one to move high in the other.