Interiors: Are we being too picky about item placement?

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Strongly agree.

High standards are good, but there's always a trade-off. In this case we're trading time. And if we ever want to complete this project then time management needs to be made a priority.

Another unfortunate drawback of extreme attention to detail is that I have seen enthusiastic modders present showcases only to be met with a massive list of errors.

More than once I've seen modders make solid attempts, but then leave and don't seem to return upon hearing mostly negative feedback.

And what do we gain?

Having twice the attention to detail than Bethesda did in VMW doesn't really make the experience better on its own.

Furthermore, looking back at Vanilla, there are many interiors that I feel would be sent back if they we're submitted to TR. And that doesn't take away from the game in the slightest.

All in all, I think being fixated on achieving perfection in interiors distracts from the big picture, and diverts time from more important things.
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Tes96
Reviewer

Re: .

Post by Tes96 »

Tyrant wrote:I think being fixated on achieving perfection in interiors distracts from the big picture, and diverts time from more important things.
It doesn't really take all that much extra time to rotate something so that it's exactly touching the surface of another object; probably an extra 10-30 seconds, depending on the object. Multiply that by 30, let's say, and it's about an extra 5 to 15 minutes total for your entire mod. I've made extremely detailed houses for TR, SHotN and P:C and most of my time was spent thinking of how to design it, not rotating objects and making sure they weren't bleeding or floating or ghosting. I like our strict standards; they help build solid modders. You're going to be rotating and adjusting objects any ways; might as well give it that extra 5-10 seconds of attention to get it just right. And besides, if your interior does have lots of errors, unless it's absolutely horrendous, it will be adjusted by the reviewer. :)
[url=http://www.project-tamriel.com/]Project Tamriel[/url]

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."