Esoptros's Dres related Stuff

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

EsoptrosOer

Esoptros's Dres related Stuff

Post by EsoptrosOer »

House Dres Banner Design 1: [img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/HouseDresBanner_zpsed5067f2.jpg[/img] [WIP]

House Dres Tapestry Design 1:

[img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/HouseDresBannerDesign01_zps98a68801.jpg[/img] {WIP}

More designs will come. including finished versions of these. Some opinions e.c.t. would be nice. :D
"In Khem, I remain no longer, for I am forgotten there. I shall roam this world and I shall come to those who seek me."
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I'm not a big fan of either of these designs for banners. The first one is too similar to the lutemoth bug and the addition of the hive doesn't really add anything in terms of aesthetics.

The designs on the buildings and the mirrored parts missing from them in the second design add a bit of interest but I'm not sure why this architecture would be featured on culturally specific banners, especially given that one; these buildings are intentionally quite simple in design, and two; the banners featuring the architecture will be hanging from the actual thing it's depicting.

Something more "old velothi", similar to the temple artwork in the PGE would be more appropriate.

The artwork itself is nicely done though.
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

Nalin wrote:I'm not a big fan of either of these designs for banners. The first one is too similar to the lutemoth bug and the addition of the hive doesn't really add anything in terms of aesthetics.

The designs on the buildings and the mirrored parts missing from them in the second design add a bit of interest but I'm not sure why this architecture would be featured on culturally specific banners, especially given that one; these buildings are intentionally quite simple in design, and two; the banners featuring the architecture will be hanging from the actual thing it's depicting.

Something more "old velothi", similar to the temple artwork in the PGE would be more appropriate.

The artwork itself is nicely done though.
The Second picture I made wasn't a banner. It is a tapestry. lol. Big difference between the two.

The First picture I made with the nest/wasps wasn't supposed to be the main Dres banner. But rather offset design for the Dres locational factions that deal with the "wasp riders" and the salt-lands.

These designs are just ideas however.
"In Khem, I remain no longer, for I am forgotten there. I shall roam this world and I shall come to those who seek me."
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

EsoptrosOer wrote:The Second picture I made wasn't a banner. It is a tapestry. lol. Big difference between the two.
In that one hangs from a wall and the other one...
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

Nalin wrote:
EsoptrosOer wrote:The Second picture I made wasn't a banner. It is a tapestry. lol. Big difference between the two.
In that one hangs from a wall and the other one...
The difference is symbolism. A Tapestry is just fabric art. It could tell a story or just simply be designs or have a picture woven into it. But it's just art that is used for decoration. A Banner is artistic fabric that represents or identifies a subject or faction. I am sure your aware of that. So that is the big difference.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

EsoptrosOer wrote:
The difference is symbolism. A Tapestry is just fabric art. It could tell a story or just simply be designs or have a picture woven into it. But it's just art that is used for decoration. A Banner is artistic fabric that represents or identifies a subject or faction. I am sure your aware of that. So that is the big difference.
Although in this case, where we are deliberately trying to give a distinct flavour to the Dres, in a game where we don't have the option to add the minutiae of House Dres home decor, everything should be culturally representative. Nothing should be 'just art that is used for decoration'

I'll modify my original post for you, to clarify:

I'm not a big fan of either of these designs. The first one is too similar to the lutemoth bug and the addition of the hive doesn't really add anything in terms of aesthetics.

The designs on the buildings and the mirrored parts missing from them in the second design add a bit of interest but I'm not sure why architecture should be featured on (culturally specific) decorative items for these reasons;

- These buildings are intentionally quite simple in design. There is nothing particularly interesting about the shape of them.

- The items featuring the architecture will be hanging from the actual thing it's depicting.

- There are no instances of Dunmer architecture featuring on tapestries in Morrowind. You could argue that the Telvan symbol features a "building" but those towers are the most immediately recognizable feature of the Telvani (and it isn't specifically a building that is being depicted either). Dres buildings are essentially velothi with a little modification over time and as such aren't distinctly representative of the culture of Great House Dres in the same way as there are velothi buildings found in plenty of non-Dres territories.

Something similar to, but older than, the temple artwork would be more appropriate. Think ashlander artistic styles but maybe slightly refined (they wouldn't want to change too much of the designs over the years as they're fiercely xenophobic).
The temple stuff is old but the Dres stuff is older. That's why keeping a similar feel is appropriate as the player will make that connection, if done properly. A similar artistic style to the more figurative temple depictions of Vehk found inside temples and around Vivec will also highlight how the temple supplanted the old ways of ancestor worship in a more direct, visual way.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

I, on the other hand, like these concepts and see no reason to outright shoot them down.

The skyrender hive has a nice melting texture to it and its shape unmistakenly alludes to the heart of Lorkhan. As for the three houses, I'd like to make them more obviously represent the Houses of the Good Daedra (which is the way I interpreted the design) by replacing the Daedric letters with A, B and M -- and possibly with something in each of the four corners to represent the four Bad Daedra.

The cyberpunk-esque geometric pattern on the houses looks really nice imo.

edit: oh! add a third skyrender to the hive picture. Makes for more interesting interpretations.
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

Rats wrote:I, on the other hand, like these concepts and see no reason to outright shoot them down.

The skyrender hive has a nice melting texture to it and its shape unmistakenly alludes to the heart of Lorkhan. As for the three houses, I'd like to make them more obviously represent the Houses of the Good Daedra (which is the way I interpreted the design) by replacing the Daedric letters with A, B and M -- and possibly with something in each of the four corners to represent the four Bad Daedra.

edit: oh! add a third skyrender to the hive picture. Makes for more interesting interpretations.
I appreciate your comment. :D and I fully disagree with what the other says. Art is art. it's just about imagination and creation. There is no particular pattern to art. Whether it be dunmer or not. The Hive banner design, i am quite proud of. I think I followed a dunmer style well, yet created the most unique form of art i've ever done to this date.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

I, on the other hand, like these concepts and see no reason to outright shoot them down.
Nor do I. I offered opinion and constructive criticism.
I like them too - stylistically they fit nicely with the [url=http://restlessleague.spreadshirt.com/saint-nerevar-A13926026]temple art[/url], I like it even more on the actual building models.

Adding the A,B and M over the houses makes more sense but I'm still not sure about Azura, Boethiah and Mephala being represented by houses. Though it could just be that I don't like houses on a tapestry, for the reasons I already mentioned.
I fully disagree with what the other says. Art is art. it's just about imagination and creation. There is no particular pattern to art. Whether it be dunmer or not.
Oh but there is, stylistically things need to be coherent. Please don't other me.
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

Nalin wrote:
I like them too - stylistically they fit nicely with the [url=http://restlessleague.spreadshirt.com/saint-nerevar-A13926026]temple art[/url], I like it even more on the actual building models.

Adding the A,B and M over the houses makes more sense but I'm still not sure about Azura, Boethiah and Mephala being represented by houses. Though it could just be that I don't like houses on a tapestry, for the reasons I already mentioned.
I fully disagree with what the other says. Art is art. it's just about imagination and creation. There is no particular pattern to art. Whether it be dunmer or not.
Oh but there is, stylistically things need to be coherent. Please don't other me.
I had to other you. I forgot your name and I didn't want to retype what i had typed. Thus, so i didn't get your name wrong, the other guy, was a better alternative.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Nalin wrote:
I misread your tone then, I apologize.

I feel like having houses as symbols for the Good Daedra is in keeping with the old tradition of understanding the Bad Daedra as a four-cornered House of Troubles. Each house signifies each of the Daedra as well as their respective plane. (By adding something unique in each of the houses would make this more obvious, e.g. a moon for Azura, webs for Mephala and an axe for Boethiah).

I think the cyberpunk patterns and the greyish color palette (similar to that of the artworks in Necrom) is stylistically similar enough with the rest of the old Dunmer art we have. //edit: that is to say: even if depicting buildings was uncharacteristic for Dunmer art there are enough common denominators to make it harmonize with the rest of it.
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

I know that House Dres has designs already, but i am not sure if those designs were scrapped or not. Anyways, I've been just messing around with a some designs.

Obviously, these were influenced by the current designs i've seen here.

[img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/Screenshot%202015-02-15%2002.24.13_zpscyalkevt.png[/img]

[img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/Screenshot%202015-02-15%2002.23.33_zps4dcbifsc.png[/img]

2nd design Idea

[img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/Dres%20design%202_zpspme7rz9p.jpg[/img]

3rd idea

[this design isn't far different then the original]

[img]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k481/kenders21/Screenshot%202014-02-19%2015.34.43_zpseh1t3tzw.png[/img]
st.Veloth, The Repenting

Post by st.Veloth, The Repenting »

looks quite nice sera, according to preset stander eds, it looks a little too polished, almost elven... you should try for a cyberpunk look, don't
go for blue as much green, for it would be a shame to have an indoril look-a-like... something along the lines of cyberpunk velothi... that could work, though as of this point, the architectural style of house dres is still in debate. my personal outlook on house dres architecture is orange-red cantons, stuff seen in the origins of cyrus comic. the ground in tear is red-grey with ash... the buildings should reflect that... large canton complexes, citadels if you must, each one overlooking their own plantation, each one fiercely independent...

image ref
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141026202122/elderscrolls/images/f/fe/Tear_Slavery.PNG

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_13.jpg

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_14.jpg

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_15.jpg
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
EsoptrosOer

Post by EsoptrosOer »

st.Veloth, The Repenting wrote:looks quite nice sera, according to preset stander eds, it looks a little too polished, almost elven... you should try for a cyberpunk look, don't
go for blue as much green, for it would be a shame to have an indoril look-a-like... something along the lines of cyberpunk velothi... that could work, though as of this point, the architectural style of house dres is still in debate. my personal outlook on house dres architecture is orange-red cantons, stuff seen in the origins of cyrus comic. the ground in tear is red-grey with ash... the buildings should reflect that... large canton complexes, citadels if you must, each one overlooking their own plantation, each one fiercely independent...

image ref
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141026202122/elderscrolls/images/f/fe/Tear_Slavery.PNG

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_13.jpg

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_14.jpg

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/origin_cyrus_page_15.jpg
Hmm, I was under the impression the lands that house Dres resided, were like the salt flats. A gray-white. [which is why I have the gray-cream color mixed with the brown and blue-green. a mixture of the salt flats style and flora along waterways.

But textures aside, what of the actual look/shape design themselves?
st.Veloth, The Repenting

believe it or not... the deshaan plain has more akin to the deserts of mars than any plain. in fact, there's a steep cliff clearly separating the jungles of black marsh from morrowind. the deshaan plain is actually a dry, unforgiving and hostile place. few vegetation exists... but what does is twisted, and only of the fungus variety. the only animals are large bugs.
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

st.Veloth, The Repenting wrote:believe it or not... the deshaan plain has more akin to the deserts of mars than any plain. in fact, there's a steep cliff clearly separating the jungles of black marsh from morrowind. the deshaan plain is actually a dry, unforgiving and hostile place. few vegetation exists... but what does is twisted, and only of the fungus variety. the only animals are large bugs.
I would hesitate to describe the Deshaan plains in too certain of terms at this stage. We have ideas about how it should look, but it's far from finished.

I mean: if you work the current concepts too far into your architecture, you might end up having to change it when we finalize how Dres things should look.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

at this point i'm going by the concept art, npc dialogue and multiple other sources, plus it makes sense.
- sotha sil
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

There's a ton of (often contradictory) concept art of BethSoft and TR or other third party origin. Whatever little npc dialogue exists within the game is really vague. The concept for Deshaan is far from finished.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

i've been working on some concept art, displaying the red crumbling velothis style, along with the red ash environment, i'll be sure to upload it soon, to show you what i'm talking about.
- sotha sil