Sasquatch H2o

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Yes or No?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

sasquatch2o
Developer

Sasquatch H2o

Post by sasquatch2o »

So I think may have made a mistake leaving TR. I have noticed some differences in the way things are now being run and really liked the new statement you guys have made. Since my other account is permanently banned for bad behavior I decided to make a new account a while back so I could follow the mod. Its Sasquatch2o, kind of like the last one but rebranded and less aggro. I have been posting on Skywind, but apparently the team there has decided that we should amicably part ways. So, I have brought a peace offering of my idea for cool new loot item (if it cant be used thats alright), a promise to settle any differences and maybe do a few interiors if team TR is alright with that, as a maybe, and on-trial-basis thing.

I'm not able to post in most threads so here it is my admitted rough drawing:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9PUvdCX.png[/img]

Dwermer Lamp of Blinding. It seems like most loot is a weapon or armor so a really bright enchanted lamp that never dies seemed like an interesting item. It could reduce enemies hit rate or increase the user's defense, or somthing. This way it could be used as an alternative to a shield an be brighter than a standard light for dwermer dungeon crawls.
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
my opinion.
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

I didn't even know you got banned.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I know of a mod that adds something like this, but I think it would still be a cool addition to TR. You said it could be used as a shield, which I think would be pretty cool. Would the enchantment be a "Cast When Used" enchantment? Or will it be a script where every time you block, the enemy goes blind? There would have to be a script for the lighting effect.

I had no idea you got banned, dude.

EDIT: Never mind, you don't need a script, there's a light spell effect. Totally forgot. :P
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Yeah, it really was my fault though. I hadn't thought too much about how the lamp would work in the game, but I've had the idea for a while. It would be the brightest equipable lamp in the game. Bright enough that it so partially "blinds" enemies that they have a hard time hitting player and/or defending themselves. This way it would have an offensive and defensive use, but also have good utility in dark interiors to make it a really unique item. Would be found in high level dwermer ruin. That'd be my idea at least.
my opinion.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

Wait, if it blinds enemies, wouldn't it also blind you?
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

It's hard to see in that drawing but there is supposed to be a reflective back on the lamp to concentrate and direct the light away from the one carrying it. If someone models this maybe they can make ray-bans as well, jk. I'm not particularly attached to the lamp idea, like it is a must have, but I figured it was good enough to post for as a possibility for the relic thread.
Last edited by sasquatch2o on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
my opinion.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Hey sasquatch!

I think we're safe to offer you a second chance here at TR. We appreciate good input, and if you try and show some restraint when you feel people might disagree on points, things will probably be fine. I personally hope this works out for the best, and I get the feeling you want to offer constructive contributions.

A lot of us have a history of behaving like idiots and dicks here. I count myself among them, and here I am as a Lead these days. So I feel we can reasonably offer you the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I'd like to say welcome back, and hopefully this will be a more fun and productive stay :)
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Thanks. To get started can I make my showcase one of the unclaimed interiors? I'm guessing developer status is needed to lift the special access restrictions.
my opinion.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Welcome back. I'm not quite sure on the topic of your showcase; specifically I'm not sure whether you need to make another. Showcases are mainly there to polish a member's technical abilities up to TR's standards, and you have already completed a showcase. Unless someone who reviewed your past work found something that needs working on, I frankly don't see much of a point. If it's decided that you do have to go through the motions, though, please remember to use your old thread.

I think the lamp might be interesting as an Imperial Archeological Society reward, or otherwise linked to the IAS. I certainly like the concept behind it.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

WELCOME BACK :D

I concur with Gnomey, I don't see a need for you to do another showcase. I'll ask the powers-that-be to add you're new moniker to the Developer/Interiors groups.

I think the lamp is a good idea too. Nice art work, by-the-way. Do you think you could make one up with Blender or 3D Max?
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I have virtually no 3d modelling experience. With practice maybe I could try.
my opinion.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

With some practice I had almost finished the model and was attaching the handle. I had switched to object mode and lost progress by pressing cntrl+z in object mode. Part of the learning curve I guess.

I'm thinking I could probably model and texture this. From the save I'm halfway done completed it will be around 700 faces. It rough, but This seems easier than I was expecting so far. I'm still not sure how to make the glass clear so the interior parts can be seen. I also need to figure how to use the Morrowind bulb model in lantern and make the inside.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/XAk7BWm.png[/img]

Still need final word on what the deal is. Also don't want to do this model if it isn't wanted.
my opinion.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Very nice work so far. If I remember correctly, Morrowind only uses triangles in its models, though, so the face-count of your lantern would probably be more around 1400 polygons. I'm not sure whether that is an acceptable face-count or not, (I think it is, especially for a unique item), but I do think the model could be optimized for triangles around the handle anyway, and the cylindrical and hemispherical parts of the models do not need so many faces for a Morrowind item.

As for whether the model is wanted, we are currently very much lacking in the unique artifacts department. I certainly advocate its inclusion.

The final word on what the deal is should come today (which ends in four hours for me).
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Okay, I redid most of what I had and tried to reduce the faces on one side. I'll make the back come out more like it was and add the round handle. Once I finish reducing the faces and clean it up it will be around 400 + the inside, maybe 700-750 total? Like I said I have really no experience so I'm not sure how I'd texture it yet or add bulb. Btw the model is fairly irregular atm. If wanted, maybe I'll make a another one once I improve.

http://i.imgur.com/uXvElkr.png?2

I am curious what those random floating things are though. They appeared in the last 5 min.
my opinion.
cookie16
Developer

Post by cookie16 »

sasquatch2o wrote:Okay, I redid most of what I had and tried to reduce the faces on one side. I'll make the back come out more like it was and add the round handle. Once I finish reducing the faces and clean it up it will be around 400 + the inside, maybe 700-750 total? Like I said I have really no experience so I'm not sure how I'd texture it yet or add bulb. Btw the model is fairly irregular atm. If wanted, maybe I'll make a another one once I improve.

http://i.imgur.com/uXvElkr.png?2

I am curious what those random floating things are though. They appeared in the last 5 min.
I remember trying to learn how to model like a year ago, didn't go very well.

You might need to make an model showcase.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I've added you back to the Developers/Interiors usergroups, sasquatch. Here's to smooth sailing from here on out.

PS - Models are judged on an individual basis now; you don't need to go through an entire showcase process for models.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Looking good. Possibly make it more Octagonal - that would help with the face count, and be more in line with the dwemer style. Then there is the light source - I like your original concept of using the light_dwe_bulb00 (l\light_dwe_bulb00.nif). I see no problem incorporating that into your lantern, and using the same textures too.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

I'd say this concept looks quite interesting. Welcome back, sasquatch.

Wow, you learned how to model fast! :D
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand