The Exodus of the IRC

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

wollibeebee
Developer

The Exodus of the IRC

Post by wollibeebee »

So, as some of you may be aware, it is becoming harder and harder to get onto chatspike due to some strange port issues. I myself can only log in after restarting my internet a few times, and even then it does not always work. I also know I am not alone in dealing with these issues.

Chatspike has been great. It's the centre of the ES IRC community. But the Morrowind community has become separated, due to #OpenMW being on freenode, a IRC server built specifically for hosting open source/free projects.

I have no idea how many people are using *USEPwiki and *ElderScrolls. I avoid them due to all the families and cat roleplaying games that seem to always occur. There's not much point going on anyway, seeing as they are not interested in Morrowind Modding.

All 70-90 people in #OpenMW on freenode are, however. And when OpenMW and OpenCS are completed, there's going to be a new renaissance of modding, and a lot of those new modders will be logging in to the irc to look for tutorials, etc. Which will be a great way of baiting and catching new members. :P

I've already asked Peachykeen for permission to the ##Morrowind channel, but he is currently in the military so it might be some time before I hear back from him.

https://freenode.net/policy.shtml#channelnaming

By their rules I believe we will be allowed to create a primary channel, but perhaps not whilst using the name #tamriel, only ##tamriel. Perhaps #TR, or #rebuilt will be allowed for the same reasons as #OpenMW.

Keen?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

As someone who barely ever uses our current IRC channel (and as a result has no emotional attachment to it), I don't feel like I have the right to voice my opinion on whether we should switch to freenode or not. I will say that I greatly appreciate the time you spent looking into this for us, wolli. 8-)
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

I support 100% for obvious reasons.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

I've been having trouble with chatspike too, so I'm supporting this.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I've also had problems with Chatspike, so I would have no issue with this either.
wollibeebee
Developer

Post by wollibeebee »

Arvis always says yes. I guess that's enough pretty-cool-dudes to get a yes?

What now?
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

I've been having more and more trouble with chatspike, along with a few other people. Should we do anything?
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand