Boznirith: Interior Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Boznirith
Developer

Post by Boznirith »

Hello, Boznirith here! I am a veteran to both Morrowind and the Construction set. I have been with the game for years, but I never published and of my mods. I have always had a love and fascination with the game and always seem to come back to it regardless of what else comes around.

I have at this time decided to attempt the jump to the public avenue. I feel that I can be a great asset to the TR team, and look forward to working with all of you. I have prepared today for the community a simple but elegant tomb to showcase my skills. I encourage any comments you all may have, I have very thick skin.

I look forward to hearing for you all!

~Boznirith
Attachments
BC_TR_Showcase_Int.Tomb_01(Clean).esp
Farandon Ancestral Tomb. Enjoy the showcase!
(31.21 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Welcome to TR, Boznirith! Your showcase is looking very good. However, before a full review is to take place, there are a few things you should do:

-First of all, your file is VERY dirty. Make sure to only edit references and cells that you have created. If not done already, I recommend using TESAME to clean your file.
-In order to get past the showcase, each modder is required to add some de_p furniture in their interior, in order to show off their rotation skills.
-Try not to bleed any small objects into, well, anything. I noticed that the urns in your interior are bleeding into the altars. The same rule goes towards most large objects.
-Always double 'f' clothing, as they tend to float with a single 'f'.
-Try not to include living creatures in your showcase.
-Watch floaters carefully, and, excluding clothing, remember to do a single 'f' on just about everything for them to rest properly on a surface.
-Both in_v_s_int_lcolumn_03 are unnecessary, and cause flickering.
-Though not too important, it is always good to set the fog.

Your showcase is looking great. Fix these things and we can start a full review.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Be sure read over the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24655]Interior Showcase Guidelines[/url]. There is a lot of useful information in there.
Boznirith
Developer

Post by Boznirith »

Well firstly, I must say the prompt response time to my post is much appreciated. I have done all the things requested of me to make my showcase top notch. I removed the unfortunate shimmering in_v_s_int_lcolumn_03 x2 first. I fixed the urns and double tapped all my items, while also adding some de_p furniture. I added a few items to the furniture to show my rotational prowess, and also removed the leveled creatures from the showcase. And last but not least I enhanced the tomb ambiance by adding a subtle layer of fog. Not too much, but enough to give it the musty dust filled feel to the air. After those minor changes, I scrubbed the file meticulously.

So without further ado, here is the enhanced 'Farandon Ancestral Tomb'

~Boznirith
Attachments
BC_TR_Showcase_Int.Tomb_01(Clean).esp
Interior Showcase. Enjoy!
(32.17 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Welcome, its always nice to see a new interior designer.

Are you sure you uploaded the correct file here? This one is still very dirty. You must remove all the statics, lights, containers, ... that were inadvertently modified. The file should only contain the cell you worked on, and any items you intentionally modified. Any new items must have an ID starting with TR_.

Before I start a full review, would you also add a few more items (not ingredients) on either the de_p furniture, or as offerings on the ledge of the ashpits.

And finally, we normally follow the MW style of putting the top edge of a banner just inside the bannerpost. To see what I mean, select one of your banners. Then use the menu option "Edit" and "Find ..." (or just press Ctrl-F). The banner should be selected in the "Search for" dropdown list. Click on "OK" and the CS will display a cell with that banner in it.

If you need any help, or have any questions feel free to ask them here, or in the TR Chat room (see link in Board Announcements).
Boznirith
Developer

Post by Boznirith »

Ding Ding Ding! Round three!

Boznirith here, the level of attention to detail that is being implied to me thus far is spectacular. It bodes well for the project, I am happy to be subjected to such a standard. I think I am starting to really understand what TR is looking for at this point.

First I fixed the banners. The original orientation was what I observed in another tomb when I referenced them, and it didn't look quite right, go figure Bethesda 8P. I then added two items to each ash pit ledge as offerings, I think the chitin club demonstrates my abilities best there. Finally I scrubbed the file meticulously once more.

My original understanding of cleaning a file was a concept of removing any item associations with it that were not in the finished product. This time I removed everything but the cell itself, as I had no unique items. I think perhaps this is what you are looking for.

I look forward to hearing feedback, and maybe the good news 8D, from you soon!

~Boznirith
Attachments
BC_TR_Showcase_Int.Tomb_01-2(Clean).esp
Interior Showcase. Enjoy!
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Very nice showcase, a bit sparse, I'd add a few more offerings on some of the alters, but on the whole very good.

Looking over the basic stuff. Gridsnapping is good. Structural layout is very nice. You included the Northmarker, set the lighting lower, and placed the sounds very well.

General comments:
The fog did seem a bit much at first. But after playing in-game for awhile, it seemed to fit the location. It is not outside the range of fog settings currently in use in TR so its fine.

Stakes are typically place in the wall of the ashpit, or directly into the floor. Your placement, around the inside edge of the wall, makes some of the stakes appear to bleed into the ledge. I suggest moving them just a bit further into the ashpit. The ones that appear to be bleeding are not in the list below.

Velothi tomb walls have a slightly angled floor section at the base. Normally, alters are allowed to bleed into this section due to MW precedent and space limitations. However, you've kept all but one alter from bleeding, so I'd like that one alter to be moved away from the wall, just for consistency. This alter is in the list below.

Ordinarily, stray light sources are not to be used. However, in this case, the orange light is effectively enhancing the intersection of the lights already in the area. So it can stay, and it looks good.

Locks and traps. We typically set locks in multiples of 5 (just a TR thing). Also, the locks and associated traps should scale with the possible loot within the chest. So the chests with more money/loot should have higher lock levels and traps.

The 2 in_v_l_column01's in the area with the bridge, are slightly bleeding into the top of the ramplong pieces on both sides. This is not really noticeable in the CS, but in-game, the bleeds are very detectable.

Be sure to keep an eye on the selection box when placing items. You may want to read over the section Checking To See If An Item Is Floating Or Bleeding in the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24655]Interior Showcase Guidelines [/url]. Oh, we also have a new [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24574]tutorial [/url]on rotating objects that may be helpful.

Because the Braziers do not "F" into place. I suggest using a delta Z value of 0.01 and lower them until you see the lines of the selection box, at the bottom, become dotted.

Below is a complete listing of all the items that need to be fixed. Don't be concerned about the number of items here. Most of the items listed have the same type of problem and/or are trivial to fix. In fact, this list is quite short for a first review. Once these have been fixed, I see no problem recommending you for promotion.

[spoiler]
Bleeders
furn_de_p_chair_02 (4808, 1718, 5793) Back leg into wall
furn_velothi_altar_01 (5248, 4288, 5504) Into wall
ingred_green_lichen_01 (5052, 4707, 5516) Ingredients should not bleed. If this was a plant, it would have been fine.
sc_mark (5247, 4579, 5579) Into alter

Floaters
bk_fellowshiptemple (4460, 4667, 5520)
de_p_chest_02_gold_50 (4344, 4710, 5522)
de_p_chest_02_gold_50 (4617, 4710, 5522)
Gold_001 (4695, 2486, 5564) Sitting directly on top of a ridge, it should be moved to one side or the other.
in_velothi_ashpit_02 – ALL need to be fixed
light_velothi_brazier_128 - All need to be fixed

Minor Bleeders
amulet of almsivi intervention (5074, 4703, 5517) Into ashpit
furn_de_p_stool_02 (5139, 2437, 5786) Into wall
furn_silverdagger (4722, 2487, 5565) Blade into table – change to regular silver dagger, the player can not pick this up.
in_v_l_int_column_01 (4608, 3776, 5760) Into ramplong
in_v_l_int_column_01 (5184, 2880, 5760) Into ramplong
Misc_SoulGem_Lesser (4714, 2509, 5568) And sitting right on a ridge.

Minor Floaters
bonemold_helm (4494, 4662, 5522) Large objects like this should touch at, least at, 3 points.
chitin shortsword (4398, 3786, 5580) I'd like to see, at least, 2 points in contact with the alter (Hilt is floating just a tiny bit)
fireblade (4977, 1604, 5774)
furn_bone_skull_01 (4702, 2496, 5569) Again, I'd like to see 3 points touching the table.
Gold_001 (5271, 2491, 5564)
misc_lw_cup (5289, 2493, 5573)

Tiny Bleeders
bk_HomiliesOfBlessedAlmalexia (4992, 1664, 5866) Top of book into lecturn
chitin club (4528, 4682, 5519) Handle into ashpit

Other Issues
furn_web00 (5334, 4883, 5530) Adjust the position/rotation a bit so that the web appears more symmetrical.
ingred_heather_01 (5107, 4706, 5517) Try to get more than 1 point in contact with the surface below
de_r_chest_01_gold1 (Both) Replace with a de_p chest
de_r_chest_02_thief1 (4840, 1582, 5783) Replace with a de_p chest
[/spoiler]
Boznirith
Developer

Post by Boznirith »

Alright, here's the finished product. All deficiencies found and fixed. First I fixed the ash pits along with all associated poles and offerings, the lichen took me a minute to decide on an orientation for it. Next I fixed the one bleeding alter, all the braziers, and the columns in the bridge area. These I just rotated 45 degrees which was a simple fix. I hit the other deficiencies, scrubbed the file and am good to go.

I am looking forward to joining the team, and am eager to make my first claim. Later on down the line I'll look at showcasing an exterior cell, though it appears that the project is sufficiently set on that aspect, some of my instrumental compositions, and abilities with questing and scripting.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

~Boznirith
Attachments
BC_TR_Showcase_Int.Tomb_01-3(Clean).esp
Interior showcase.
Enjoy!
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Great job! There is still one brazier; light_velothi_brazier_128 (5120, 3776, 5554), that is still floating. But, having fixed all the rest, I see no need to make you fix that last one. You clearly have a good handle on item rotation and placement. So I am recommending you for promotion to Interior Designer. Look over the Unclaimed Interiors. I'm not sure if you'll be able to "claim" one until the promotion goes through, but I can make that happen if need be.

Welcome to the team! :D
Boznirith
Developer

Post by Boznirith »

Thanks for the warm tidings, I am glad to be part of the team, and look forward to what is to come.

I am sure we will communicate soon in short order!

~Boznirith
Miraclestone
Developer

Post by Miraclestone »

Welcome and congratulations!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Member Promoted for interior design. Congratulations, Boznirith. Feel free to use this thread for any questions about the project, or to continue sharing and updating your modding word. Note that if you wish to be promoted for something else, you should continue to use this same thread; a second one would just be merged with this one anyway as soon as its seen by a Lead Dev.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Congratulations, Boznirith. It's always great to see a modder showcase go as smoothly as yours just did. 8-)
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Congrats, Boznirith! :D
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Huzzah and welcome, Boz'! :)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I moved a discussion on skill checks to [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24786]this thread[/url], to fulfill my housekeeping quota. As far as returning to the topic at hand, I can only offer a very belated congratulations for the promotion.