Skype Meetings

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Swiftoak and I want to carry out the forum restructure as soon as possible, but the latest proposal [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24926]here[/url] makes quite a few changes, and we want to ensure everyone is on board with them, especially as regards how we'll be handling the sections. As such, I think we should consider holding an off-schedule Skype Meeting next Saturday at 6:00PM GMT/UST on that topic, though depending on how the discussion unfolds on the forums it may prove unnecessary.
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

So much going on lately. So many interesting subjects and changes. I wish I could participate more in all this, but I don't even have time to read all of it. At a glance te forum restructure proposal looks good to me, but not sure how exactly the claim system would work. I also havent been able to contribute to the What's Morrowind and TR Pipeline discussions just because a lack of time.

Anyway it's good to see progress like this and I hope to be part of it again soon!
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Swiftoak mentioned something about maps at the last meeting. I thought that they'd be in the new pipeline document but they aren't. Any chance of us getting those maps, especially if everything is going to be renamed.
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

Having not been at the Skype meeting, or having read the document due to crappy internet, I'd guess Swiftoak's own maps that were occassionally shared during Skype meetings.
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I'd prioritize remaining OE interiors and completing as many misc quests in that area as possible, as soon as possible. While this is done faction and guild quests should be in discussion and design process.

Over rehashing and clarifying existing maps and plans doesn't seem overly necessary, how many ast travel maps are really needed? just make what planning is already here maybe a bit more accessible by compiling and sticking a comprehensive doc. Should be far past time to continually over analyze what has already been done and move forward as best as possible.

Plan future content while completing the easiest most accessible tasks that will have the largest impact on gameplay.

Imo NW exteriors should be completed Asap, while remaining quests and interiors in priority regions (TRV and OE) are finished out. OE quests already discussed should have been in production months ago.

Final thoughts: the exteriors and interiors in TR are widely far better planned and detailed than most any.other morrowind mod, skywind included. I'm still hoping this insane process of remaking and tweaking as completed areas will end so we can get more new content out in a reasonable timeframe.
my opinion.
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

I would vote quality content over reasonable timeframe any day.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I agree with klep. If we wanted to roll out TR as soon as possible in as good a state as reasonable, I'd agree with your approach. I'm however more interested in rolling out TR as soon as reasonable in as good a state as possible, and have the impression that most people at TR prefer the latter as well.

As far as the meeting this Saturday is concerned, as stated Swiftoak and I want to start on the restructure as soon as possible, and in the ideal case that means after the Skype meeting. As a result, if you do have any concerns or objections, please do either state them in the meeting or post them here before or during the meeting. There are a few reasons for this; mainly that Swiftoak and I will both by busier at different times in the following weeks and that we want to be able to return to actual work on the project as opposed to work on the site as soon as possible. At the same time, the issues with taking action before everyone has had a chance to voice their opinions is clear, hence the hope that the time up to and including the Skype Meeting will prove enough.
In the event that the people who make it to the Skype Meeting will have little to say on the topic of the restructure, however, which could be the case as well, Swiftoak would like to start talking about his pipeline document in the meeting, which I [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=329206#329206]link again[/url] for convenience.

I've attached the latest version of Swiftoak's map as requested, but I should add my usual disclaimer to the map in saying that it is not a concrete proposal for TR, though many of its ideas may be feasible and desireable to varying degrees which are to be discussed in good time. For the time being, the map is mainly useful as a legend to the names Swiftoak uses.
Attachments
Master Plan.jpg
(6.82 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

I'm finally back from vacation, and though I'm very busy I would like to be in the meeting tomorrow. So, Gnomey, can you confirm what time the meeting tomorrow (August 8) is?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

6:00 PM GMT/UST; the usual time. From the still very small reference pool in the doodle linked above, that time slot is still apparently one of the most convenient.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Master Plan.jpg
It seems to me, or territory has shrunk considerably?
On the old maps of the continental it was much larger in size.

Edit:
Yes it is. Why? Old size is too big?
For me old size was better. On new map vvardenfell is not proportional

[spoiler][img]http://i.imgur.com/dvTJqpW.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

That's why I added the above disclaimer. The shrinking of the map is one case where I don't really agree with Swiftoak, the small number of regions is another. The map is not our plan, just a collection of ideas we could or could not use.

Edit: to my understanding Swiftoak's reason for cutting out a lot of the landmass is that he feels it's unnecessary filler which will just give us more work with no real reward. I on the other hand think that we have -- and can certainly come up with -- more than enough material to properly fill all that space, and that his proposal might prove too restrictive. I think both arguments have merit, and will need to be figured out in the early planning stages, though it might be more useful to go by a case-by-case basis. (How large does the Deshaan need to be? How large does Shipal-Shin need to be? etc.)
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Clearly, thanks.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Just posting a heads-up that I'll be joining today's meeting a bit late (~30 minutes).
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype meeting will start in ten minutes. I figure we can start slow and give people a bit of time to ask questions and such before we get into the meat of the matter, which should give Rats time to join. Edit: we actually decided to delay the meeting by 30 minutes to accommodate Rats. For the time being we're just discussing miscellany on IRC.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Freaking timezones' confusing me... Isn't 6 PM GMT only due in half an hour?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Nope, it was half an hour ago.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

[url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]The internet[/url] [url=http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com]is lying to me then[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

And my computer is lying to me. Lies all around...
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Sigh... I'll be really late then. Carry on :)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

We should still be on.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype meeting naturally wrapped up a while ago. Both the forum restructure and TR Pipeline document were discussed. Given the topics, the summary has a higher than usual priority and should hopefully not be too long in coming. That being said, as signaled above, the forum restructure commenced as soon as the meeting was over, with no significant change to the most recent plans posted in [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24926]this thread[/url], while the TR Pipeline will no doubt see further discussion.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I see that there are more entries in the doodle schedule above, and the current time slot still seems to be winning out, specifically for Saturday and Sunday. So I think that for the next meeting we can safely stick to Saturday at 6:00PM GMT/UST. I am still wondering whether a slight change in time slot mightn't be better, such as starting an hour later. On which topic, I have no idea why the time was an hour off for Rats, but hopefully it won't happen again.

The topic of the next Skype meeting should be the TR Pipeline discussion, or rather a continuation thereof. In the last meeting we basically skimmed through the document and commented on the rough pipeline, making no significant changes to it aside from a name or two and as pertains to continuing section work. I suppose in this next meeting we'll probably go more into specifics, such as particulars of integrating work on the section files with the rest of the pipeline and how specifically we'll handled the timed TR_Preview updates. Theminimanx thinks he should have the summary of the last meeting ready in time for the next one. The Skype meeting will also be a good time to ask any questions or make any suggestions about the forum reorganization.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Is this scheduled for tomorrow or the Saturday after that?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

For tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me, as I'd almost forgotten: we plan to hold weekly meetings for the next little while, at least until we figure out the pipeline and have sent the project trundling down it.
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

The next meeting will be tomorrow. If we have time, I'd also like to use that meeting to go through the feedback the pipeline has recieved [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996]in the thread[/url]. I know Gnomey already replied to a lot of it, but to uphold the glorious democratic system, I'd like us to look over it as a group.
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype meeting will start in 30 minutes.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Correction: one hour and thirty minutes. Daylight savings has struck again, it seems, so my +1 timezone became a +2. We will be sticking to [url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]GMT/UTC[/url] in future, and will link to that clock as well. I'll also stop mistakenly writing UST instead of UTC.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Why can't I ever get this right? To be clear, the Skype meeting will be in thirteen minutes. The last post was a correction to the earlier post, but I neglected to consider that thirty minutes had already passed between posts.

I'm sure I'll consistently get this right after this. Surely.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Missed it again... Oh well, I'll know to plan ahead better for next week.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

It's still going on at the moment, though it's sort of wrapping up. Feel free to pop in.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The next Skype meeting, which should take place at 6:00 PM [url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]GMT/UTC[/url] next Saturday (the 22nd), will likely deal with either one or both of the following topics: the TR Pipeline and the Master Plan. And maybe some site cleanup stuff as well, depending on how that goes.

For the former, I intend to create an updated -- and hopefully shorter -- version of Swiftoak's document; we had some trouble discussing the pipeline in the last meeting what with having to juggle the unwieldy document with the equally unwieldy forum thread.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

As a reminder, the Skype meeting will start in four hours. (6 PM [url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]GMT/UTC[/url]).
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype meeting has ended. Unless anything changes, the next meeting will take place at the same time next week. Assuming nothing big comes up in the interim, we'll be starting on the Master Plan. Specifically, we'll agree on a rough structure for the Master Plan and, if we have the time and energy afterwards, may start working our way down the document.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Obligatory reminder that the Skype meeting will take place in a little over an hour, at [url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]6 PM GMT/UTC[/url] as usual. The focus of the Skype meeting will be discussing the general structure of the Master Plan. Useful links are the WIP Master Plan document and the old foundation document, which are both linked [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25021]here[/url]; the original pipeline document [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996]here[/url], specifically Appendix 1A, which has been removed from the more recent WIP pipeline document; and perhaps -- if we get that far -- our [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24590]official statement of vision[/url].
That being said, I don't think we should rush into discussing the content of the Master Plan too quickly, even if we agree on the structure. While I'm sure everyone wants to see us move swiftly along the pipeline, the Master Plan is the most important document, and I think we'll need a few more discussions like the one on [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25024]player freedom[/url] before we can really iron it down.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Has it started?
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

It has, but we're still going. You can join if you want. Do you have anyone's contact information on Skype?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype Meeting is over. We mostly left the structure of the Master Plan unchanged, rambled a bit and clarified some additional topics we'd want to see discussed in the Master Plan. Next week we plan to start moving down the Master Plan and filling out the actual content, starting with the rather straightforward Introduction section. (What is Tamriel Rebuilt and what does it seek to do? What are the vision and goals of TR? What is the purpose of this document?)
However, while that part of the Master Plan shouldn't give us too much trouble, as we move further down the document it will become increasingly difficult and inconvenient to fully discuss the subject matter in the Skype meetings alone without bogging down progress on the Master Plan indefinitely. As such, it will become increasingly important to have ongoing discussions of the subject matter on the forums, so that the Skype Meetings themselves can focus on summarizing ideas rather than brainstorming them. The first [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24486&start=0]Skype meeting summary[/url] on the topic of Themes of Morrowind and the recent discussion of [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25024]Player Freedom[/url] provide good examples of the sort of discussions that could greatly facilitate and accelerate progress on the Master Plan.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

No, I requested it to Gnomey a while ago and never heard anything back...
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I've resent the contact request, but you should have already received the request I sent before. I'm not called Gnomey on Skype, so you might have mistaken the request for spam. But I do use the same avatar as on this forum, and attached a custom message to the request, so it shouldn't be too easy to overlook it.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

The Skype Meeting will start in an hour and thirty minutes, at [url=http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx]6 PM GMT/UTC[/url]. The topic will be as above. (My second-to-last post).