Posting Images in the Forums

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Seneca37
Lead Developer

Posting Images in the Forums

Post by Seneca37 »

Would it be too much to ask, that, when posting images from DropBox, Imgur or similar systems, to also attach the image to the thread. People keep cleaning out their files on these systems leaving blanks or broken links. Not to point a finger, just stating an example, Swiftoak recently cleaned out his DropBox, with the exception of the couple of map files in his latest post. Now, most of his older posts have broken image links.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

We will need to keep a close eye on it if this happens; historically we've asked people not to do this because it takes up a significant amount of space on our server. If people start uploading lots of pictures everywhere, we may need to institute size limits per image or size quotas per usergroup.

I would recommend we first try simply switching to imgur, which I doubt will be going anywhere and doesn't have limits on the number or size of images you can upload. The issue is, I think, more primarily tied to services that limit space considerably, like dropbox, or services that frequently change how they host or how often they remove unvisited images, like Photobucket.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yeah, I'm well aware of the issue of old images no longer being visible, given my penchant for looking through ancient threads in the forum. (Which I haven't indulged in in a while). From the beginning I made it a point not to delete any images I posted here, but the image hosting sites themselves have sometimes gotten in the way of that. (I don't know if they've gotten rid of any of my images, but I do know that they sometimes are randomly unable to show some of my images).

There might be some worth in expanding on-site image hosting from just the local maps of claims to, for instance -- as has really already been the case -- maps and other useful images, but as Haplo points out that comes with its own problems, at least past a certain point.
Osidian
Reviewer

Post by Osidian »

What about creating a shared TR cloud account? Just create a dropbox (or other cloud service) TR account, that all lead developers have access to, and use that account to keep all those images.

If someone who doesn't have access to that account uploads something that is really important to keep, than those who have can just reupload it to dropbox account (shouldn't happen that often I think).
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I like Osidian's idea. Would it be possible to set up a DropBox and a Imgur or PhotoBucket account for TR? The only problem with DropBox is that you can not show your images in the forum/thread. They would need to be links - but this is not a major issue.